• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I had a weird bug where it forgot some of my crafting upgrades. I need to find hog skins to get the first bullet-capacity upgrade... but there is no icon on my map for hogs.

Can anyone point out a good place to find them?

Krabboss

I feel like you can one shot with most bows, yet it takes a full clip of bullets. It also sucks that there's no hit indicator, so who knows.

Well I know I wasn't missing, since there were multiple arrows sticking outing of the komodo dragons I was fighting. The same goes for a leopard I fought. It might be a one hit kill if you get them in the head, though.

Anyway, I've found the bigger things easier to kill with a gun usually.

I had a weird bug where it forgot some of my crafting upgrades. I need to find hog skins to get the first bullet-capacity upgrade... but there is no icon on my map for hogs.

Can anyone point out a good place to find them?

Do you mean boar? Because the hogs are definitely on the map.
In the description it says you'd find boars everywhere.

Riggs

Banned
Trying to VPN this with flyvpn, I got a free trial and connected to an aus IP. Double checked and my IP is in aus, steam still says 4 days to unlock hrmmmm.

Drazgul

It feels a little disappointing that doing radio towers effectively buy guns for you, and that's one of the big things to spend money on. Seems unnecessary and cheapens the excitement-factor for buying a gun when the next radio tower you go to ends up unlocking it for you too.

Exactly, shouldn't have had any freebies whatsoever, it's not like money is scarce or anything. What on earth can you spend it on mid to late-game, weapon paint jobs? Bleh.

Would've been better if the towers unlocked the weapons for purchase - I'm just skipping the crappy ones now and save money until I can buy the best one in each category.

v0mitg0d

Oh man...

Last night I heard some gun fire off in the distance (night time in game too) and as I crept down the hill I could see the soft glow of gunfire. The rebels were fighting some locals so I decided I would sneak up behind them to get maximum XP. When I was roughly 5 feet from them and about to pounce with my knife, I heard a hiss and then both the rebel and I spun around (I was still in the bushes) and fired and yelled because a couple Komodos wandered into the fray. A few seconds later one turned on me too. It was painfully rad! So it was Komodos attacking me attacking rebels attacking locals attacking Komodos.

Riggs

Banned
Fuck guess I am waiting until Dec 4th. Tried this VPN, I am on an Aussie IP, my steam downloads are set to Aus ... no idea what else I can do, still says Dec 4th.

If anyone knows what I am doing wrong please feel free to PM me if you want to take the time, thanks.

Zeliard

I am enjoying the shit out of this game. I really wish they had kept some of the survivalist mechanics intact though. If I have a problem with the game so far it's that it's easy even on Hard difficulty.

The stealth is the most pleasantly surprising part of the game. It works very well. My go-to weapons are a silenced sniper rifle and the bow. I also like the hunting a lot, not just in terms of the immersion factor (which is very nice - the game has some lovely sound design) but also what it offers from a gameplay perspective. The rewards are actually useful, unlike say Assassin's Creed 3, where you can easily get through the entire game never having crafted a thing.

Far Cry 3 contrasts strongly in general with AC3 when it comes to creating an engaging open world to play around in. The two games are night and day.

Good stuff so far.

Linius

I'm doing a side mission in which you have to snipe five deers for the hungry villagers but the fifth deer seems impossible to find. Pretty frustrating. Other than that I'm enjoying everything of this game, it's good :D

Woo-Fu

Banned
Agreed. When i shoot an arrow in a tiger's head I expect them to die, not get mad and attack me.

This is based on your extensive tiger hunting experience?

My expectations are entirely different. If somebody were to shoot a tiger with the bow in this game I would expect that person to end up dead in the very near future.

Anybody with a 6850 playing this?

Yes I do though I have a factory overclocked one so results my differ a bit on your end. Basically you can crank everything up to max but Shadows, Post Processing and Geometry to Medium. If you also turn of Ambient Occlusion and MSAA you will get about 35-60 fps depending on your location and the things going on @1080p :)

Flew around with that glider-thing. Saw two pirates in the distance on a hill. I steered down and flew maybe 2 meter above ground, jumped out of the glider. Glider hits one of the pirates and he falls off the cliff. The other pirate is still "WTF?" while I shoot him with a fucking arrow in his fucking head.

GOTY!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Exactly, shouldn't have had any freebies whatsoever, it's not like money is scarce or anything. What on earth can you spend it on mid to late-game, weapon paint jobs? Bleh.

Would've been better if the towers unlocked the weapons for purchase - I'm just skipping the crappy ones now and save money until I can buy the best one in each category.

Yep, should've been unlocked for purchase and not handed to you. Money seems largely pointless outside of being used to refill your ammunition.

Nafai1123

Banned
Anybody with a 6850 playing this?

I have a 6850 and started playing last night. I didn't really get to optimize too much but running everything at high/very high, shadows medium, SSAO, no AA and no alpha coverage it's running pretty smooth. Haven't been able to do FPS tests yet but I'm guessing ~40FPS range right now. It's very playable with the minimal tweaking I've done. This is with a i5 2500k stock and 12 gigs RAM. I'm going to try disabling AO tonight as SSAO looks pretty bad and I'll probably raise my CPU clock to 4-4.5ghz to see if it helps at all.

I'm doing a side mission in which you have to snipe five deers for the hungry villagers but the fifth deer seems impossible to find. Pretty frustrating. Other than that I'm enjoying everything of this game, it's good :D

I believe you can make a yellow syringe that'll make all nearby animals glow on your screen. Makes the hunting missions (especially at night) super easy

theytookourjobz

If you don't mind UPlay, these keys are all over eBay from that ATI promo. I got it along with Hitman and Sleeping Dogs for $50.

Can't wait for Tuesdee!

bwtw

Neo Member
Does anyone know if the M700 rifle which is part of the Deluxe, is exclusive to Deluxe or just a freebie as part of it? (can you get it without the Deluxe edition?)

Zeliard

Yep, should've been unlocked for purchase and not handed to you. Money seems largely pointless outside of being used to refill your ammunition.

It largely depends on how early you want to have those items, ultimately. I purchased that $1800 sniper rifle fairly early on as I don't think it unlocks for free until several missions in, and I wanted to have it ASAP. I also think the various weapon attachments still end up costing money even if the weapon is free.

But I agree with the basic concept that weapons should have never been free (outside of maybe a couple of cases where you complete some involved mission and get a certain weapon for it). The radio towers already do enough in revealing sections of the map.

lol Can't wait to use the bow

The bow is hands down my favorite weapon. Satisfying as hell.

I'm really enjoying the game; but do find myself missing some of the survival aspects here and there. I would have loved for them to expand on it. Really though, I'm having a blast, and working around radio towers right now.

Deband

Quick question guys. I am in the UK and I just bought the game off GMG. It's downloading now, will I be able to play it or will it be locked like Steam?

Yes I do though I have a factory overclocked one so results my differ a bit on your end. Basically you can crank everything up to max but Shadows, Post Processing and Geometry to Medium. If you also turn of Ambient Occlusion and MSAA you will get about 35-60 fps depending on your location and the things going on @1080p :)

I have a 6850 and started playing last night. I didn't really get to optimize too much but running everything at high/very high, shadows medium, SSAO, no AA and no alpha coverage it's running pretty smooth. Haven't been able to do FPS tests yet but I'm guessing ~40FPS range right now. It's very playable with the minimal tweaking I've done. This is with a i5 2500k stock and 12 gigs RAM. I'm going to try disabling AO tonight as SSAO looks pretty bad and I'll probably raise my CPU clock to 4-4.5ghz to see if it helps at all.

Thanks. I don't even notice most of the more "bells and whistles" stuff so I'm fine with disabling/lowering them. Sounds like it should run OK for me then.

Calmine

I got the game free from Never Settle AMD bundle, I'm just wondering does anyone know when Ubisoft will send the key or allow me to download it?

I had to basically buy it from the Ubistore and add the code as a voucher to get it for free.

Zeliard

I'm really enjoying the game; but do find myself missing some of the survival aspects here and there. I would have loved for them to expand on it.

That's my main issue with it. I don't think there's enough at personal stake. The stealth feels great but imagine if you had the equivalent of the malaria mechanic attached to it (shouldn't be exactly malaria obviously, but something similar). You'd be there aiming down the sights, ready to pop a shot off, and suddenly you're stricken by whatever and have to rework your tactics a bit. What I loved about malaria & weapon jamming/deterioration is how they could crop up at the least-opportune times and force you to switch things up on-the-fly.

As it stands in FC3 you're free to do whatever and - unless something changes in the mid-to-late game - enemies are generally helpless to stop you. The closest the game comes to that, and it is quite an awesome thing, is some animal pouncing on you when you don't expect it.

Linius

I believe you can make a yellow syringe that'll make all nearby animals glow on your screen. Makes the hunting missions (especially at night) super easy

Yeah, the hunting syringe. But it didn't really seemed to work during that time. I just failed the mission on purpose and when I got back there were actually five deers. Did it in like two minutes the second time :p

Also, money is still very usefull for attachements. Which aren't that cheap btw.

I also really need to find some boars to carry more ammo.

Divius

Quick question: I'm not seeing any crosshairs on my sniper-scope, anyone else got this?

I'm having fun with the game though, haven't used much else besides my bow.

Darklord

Banned
This game has amazing graphics, kinda shitty audio. Shame. But the guns are fun. I LOOOVE that the enemies aren't bullet sponges. They drop like a rock.

bitoriginal

That's my favourite intro to a game this year, great stuff.

Also, what difficulty are you guys playing on? I went Warrior but I've died twice trying to take down a wild boar lol.

Definity

Really having a blast with this game. My OCD kicks in. Hunt, loot, main mission, what about collectibles...nah I think I will hit an outpost first.

Top Bottom