• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season Two, Part Two - Sundays on AMC

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Or that he was depressed and suicidal. She mentioned a darkness in him, so I don't know if that is what she meant.

Edit: or maybe he was drunk and the darkness was substance abuse and that's why she felt so responsible for Nick's problems. I really don't know.

I mean it could be a mix. He was depressed so he did drink/drugs and that's inherited by children to where substance abuse has a higher chance of happening.

Bandit1

Episode picked up the pace compared to last week, but boy, getting drunk in a building you just went into and haven't thoroughly searched sure is a dumb idea.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Episode 8: 3.9 million viewers and a 1.6 A18-49 rating

Series low ratings, although it did go up against the final night of the Olympics.

I like how you hid this from the OP... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

CREMSteve

There's so much to dislike about this show. Stupid characters making stupid decisions. Complete lack of continuity from TWD. The apocalypse happened way too quickly, and there aren't near enough undead, considering how barren all of the cities and towns are.

And yet, I still watch every week.

TWD can't return soon enough.

bitbydeath

I hope the writers turn these characters around soon, they don't even seem like they want to survive at this point.

Why not carry some knives or a bat or something instead of just running away from every zombie they meet? It is a miracle they have survived this long given their lack of everything.

IvanJ

Banned
I think I'm slowly turning around on this show and starting to dislike it. It is starting to look like discarded ideas from the original, one part inside a compound that hides a terrible secret or is run by fanatics, and one part with survivors trying their best to get killed due to unforced errors.

Take Alicia, throw her into a wormhole over to East Coast and the main show, the rest can get chewed up slowly for all I care. She seems like the only one that has even a tiny bit of a survival instinct.

Skipping the origins of the outbreak is necessary, any explanation they gave would be bad. But Yeah the whole reason that I thought this show would be different was to see the downfall of society due to the outbreak. Now we're not that far into it and society is crumbled completely and it's just more Walking Dead with a new cast.

Not to mention that the formula is so over used that it's hard to feel it anymore. Everyone knows the really tense walker almost death moment with the main character is gonna end with some dramatic last second life saving thing happening.

This show never had a chance with AMC at the helm. Would be too expensive to actually make an effort to depict a sociatal collapse that was talked about during the show/comic

PaNaMa

Banned
I have some problems with this show.. that it's so budget conscious you can see it in almost every scene consistently takes me out of the narrative. Yet, in other tv shows anyways, when the story telling is good enough, you stop "seeing" the budget and immerse into the story. That's just not happening for me in FTWD.

One of the reasons is, perhaps, is I don't find the women characters to be very believable. Many of us agree Alicia Debnam Carey is pretty hot. I think she's a decent actress too. No big deal, need that teenage boy demographic.. Except, this is the god damned apocalypse - why doe she have pristine make up on every moment of every day. In every scene she looks ready for the beauty pagent.. Most of the show's women are, in fact. Meanwhile Nick is covered head to toe in blood and filth more often than not. Alicia's impeccable makeup and unblemished cosmetic beauty is at best distracting me, and at worst its preventing me from ever taking her seriously. She's still a doll, not a character. I just don't buy she is a character in punishing post apocalyptic world, where your next breath could always be your last. I know it's holywood and what not, but its just breaking immersion for me. Just dial back the make up, or something I don't know

TomServo

I'm done with FTWD. If it ever picks up, it's not as if it'll be hard to catch back up to it.

Bottom line is that if this was another zombie show with no association to TWD no one would be watching it. It's objectively bad at this point.

This week's episode was better than the last, and would have made for perhaps a better mid-season finale than what we got. Still, the show is middling and simply meh.

I agree with the above poster, that it wouldn't be doing nearly as well as it may be if it didn't have the association. The characters are so dry.

barit

Yo what's up with all these crazy Mexicans lmao ?

First that lady who has a bunch of undeads in her basement on the farm and now that doctor who worship the death like it's a freaking religion

They are more scarier than any ugly street gang we've met so far in TWD and FTWD lol

But okay lesson learned. If an undead outbreak happens, don't flee to Mexico ;P

Sure feels like they don't even know what to do with this show. Or worse, it feels like they don't even care about the show they are making. No excitement, and nothing of note going on. I feel like it has all the problems of TWD, but at least that show has some interesting characters, and moments where cool things happen.

So why did they feed that guy to the zombies and why did the main cast boy question it?

I have the same question. There was some kind of explqnation, but I didn't quite get it.

Strand and the woman being the fools they are, decide to be as loud as possible + drunk + not armed + in a new environment they don't know. Lmao

bitbydeath

So why did they feed that guy to the zombies and why did the main cast boy question it?

Apparently the guy was 'dying' so he is being added to the wall to try protect themselves from humans who could try take over their land.

Nick questioned it likely because using Zombies as protection is not going to end well.

ZOONAMI

Strand and Madison so dumb. They also literally didn't close the door behind them when they went into the hotel. Couldn't tell if that was a direction/writing mistake or they are trying to depict the whole group as dumb as fuck. It's hard to root for a group of dumb ass people. Everyone but Nick should be dead already. And even he's fucking dumb trying to steal a snack from the cartel. And yeah they would have definitely been followed by the cartel and invaded to take all their shit. It would have already happened well before Nick showed up.

Also I have a hard time believing such a small amount of cover on Nick and his Mexican lady friend would fool all the walkers that easily. I still don't understand how zombie blood wouldn't get on open wounds would not cause an infection, unless twd canon is that zombie saliva is exponentially more infectious than zombie blood, which doesn't really make any sense.

Interesting that a guy with a bite survived, which makes sense, as a bite isn't a wound that would kill someone if treated with antibiotics, or it seems other wounds that get drenched in zombie blood somehow do not get as infected? It doesn't make any sense.

Zoe

Interesting that a guy with a bite survived, which makes sense, as a bite isn't a wound that would kill someone if treated with antibiotics, or it seems other wounds that get drenched in zombie blood somehow do not get as infected? It doesn't make any sense.

Maybe he just got bit by someone on bath salts.

What the fuck is wrong with Madison and Strand.. Definitively shit ending to that episode.

Acting a damn fool, getting drunk and slamming on a damn piano during a zombie apocalypse?? Are you goddamn insane?! I thought they would have improved the character's decisions from last season, hopefully instilling some experience into them, but nope.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Dumbest survivors period. Rick and crew would kill them for being so dumb.

15 episodes into The Walking Dead we had Lori driving without looking at the road, Carl being allowed to roam the woods alone, etc. etc.

I like how you hid this from the OP... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I honestly forgot!

Take Alicia, throw her into a wormhole over to East Coast and the main show, the rest can get chewed up slowly for all I care. She seems like the only one that has even a tiny bit of a survival instinct.

Nick is a hella survivor, tho..

I still don't understand how zombie blood wouldn't get on open wounds would not cause an infection, unless twd canon is that zombie saliva is exponentially more infectious than zombie blood, which doesn't really make any sense.

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/11326/why-are-walker-bites-in-the-walking-dead-fatal

Surfinn

I've gotta say.. and I can't believe I'm defending this show..

But I can excuse a lot of the "dumb" behavior we saw with Madison and Strand in this episode. We have to keep in mind these survivors are not anywhere near Rick/co. in terms of both experience and emotional control. Both characters have lost (or think they lost) people dear to them and thought they had cleared the area (Alicia even states this to Madison). Big difference here between Rick and co.. they don't yet have the survival skills to properly clear and secure their immediate surroundings. They haven't "hunkered down" like Rick/co.

I will admit that Strand banging on the piano was a little silly but these characters were both wildly drunk and emotionally wrecked from their losses. They were rightfully blowing off steam but in the wrong place at the wrong time. I actually liked their interactions a lot because it helped flesh out their personalities/characters.

I thought this episode was a HUGE improvement over the premiere and actually had some engaging/interesting dialogue (Madison/Strand) and character development for a change.

Obviously this show isn't very good but this episode was decent in terms of both character development/dialogue and actually having shit happen. The quality is really all over the place and hopefully they find a way to settle down.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Season Two:

Episode 1: 6.7 million viewers and a 3.1 A18-49 rating
Episode 2: 5.6 million viewers and a 2.5 A18-49 rating
Episode 3: 4.7 million viewers and a 2.1 A18-49 rating
Episode 4: 4.8 million viewers and a 2.2 A18-49 rating
Episode 5: 4.4 million viewers and a 2.0 A18-49 rating
Episode 6: 4.5 million viewers and a 1.9 A18-49 rating
Episode 7: 4.4 million viewers and a 1.9 A18-49 rating

Episode 8: 3.9 million viewers and a 1.6 A18-49 rating
Episode 9: 3.7 million viewers and a 1.6 A18-49 rating

RS4-

Should just have a show called the walking Nick; everyone else pure garbage. Just another zombie show with people doing stupid shit.

Unsecured doors, no weapons, loud noises.

So just caught up on 8 and 9.... Oh my god, Episode 8 sucked so much. My expectations aren't high for this show, but they some how managed to go lower than even my lowest expectations. That was terrible.

Thankfully 9 was better, even if it was the steriotypical cringy Fear the Walking Dead. Though atleast we had the "good" characters back... minus Daniel

Surfinn

So just caught up on 8 and 9.... Oh my god, Episode 8 sucked so much. My expectations aren't high for this show, but they some how managed to go lower than even my lowest expectations. That was terrible.

Thankfully 9 was better, even if it was the steriotypical cringy Fear the Walking Dead. Though atleast we had the "good" characters back... minus Daniel

Yup. The biggest problem with the show IMO is that we don't care much for the characters. EP9 let us get to know Strand and Madison on more of a personal level, which I really enjoyed. Usual mistakes aside, it was an effective episode after the miserable EP8.

Daffy Duck

That computer truck driving along the beach was awful.

Episode was better than the last one though, the sense of dread was good when Alicia was walking around the hotel room looking for the other girl.

dustyherb

Does anyone know much time has passed so far? Rick isn't even awake yet is he?

Edit: I guess Rick could be awake, he wouldn't have been in a coma more than two months. Fear hasn't given any sign of how much time has passed tho has it?

Tabris

The characters just aren't that likeable or interesting in this show. The only ones who are were the addict and the ex-military. One of which is dead I think? The mother is especially annoying.

The premise was good, just needs better characters.

dustyherb

The characters just aren't that likeable or interesting in this show. The only ones who are were the addict and the ex-military. One of which is dead I think? The mother is especially annoying.

The premise was good, just needs better characters.
I don't think Salazar is dead. We didn't see his body or anything so I doubt it.

The first season was great and I enjoyed seeing LA slowly decend into chaos. The moment they moved away from that I just stopped caring for the show. I don't want to see the same kind of environments that TWD already provides (who gives a fuckville population 50)

The first season was great and I enjoyed seeing LA slowly decend into chaos. The moment they moved away from that I just stopped caring for the show. I don't want to see the same kind of environments that TWD already provides (who gives a fuckville population 50)

Yeah seeing the zombie apocalypse occur from the beginning was awesome, something I wanted from TWD but obviously it had its own narrative and storytelling mechanics.

I wanted more LA, more Socal, more government fuckery.

riotous

Banned

Yeah such a dramatic and weird turn too.

Went from somewhat interesting and different to "Walking Dead with boats and deserts." (both of these settings also conveniently really cheap to film)

Complete with a series of different groups all hiding some evil secret; which TWD also suffers from. Apparently the only leaders in this entire cinematic universe are all total creep shows.

Had to stop watching this show, it's just too slow and honestly I have no attachments to the characters of Fear the walking dead.

The first season I thought ok the characters aren't great but been in the City I thought there was loads of possibilities for a manic zombie appocolise which could go for many season

Then season 2 comes and it begins on a boat and each episode was like watching paint dry and I spent my time just reaching out for my phone or even skipping through episodes.

Then the break came and it started again so what did this episode bring? Just 1 man walking through a empty world, I decided I'm not investing time anymore on this show

Role on next month when the real walking dead is back :)

keuja

I found that the descent into was actually too swift. We didn't really get to see how the rest of the population reacted to it.

Surfinn

I think the setting is interesting and could make for a great story.. the problem though is we haven't gotten a whole lot of valuable time with the characters. There's been little development for any of them.. and let's face it, there's not a whole lot to relate with here. Lots of dumb/nonsensical decision making, even for a group that's never been involved with this sort of hardship.

In all honesty though I felt like the last episode was one of the best we've had in terms of character development. I actually cared a little about Madison and Strand's struggles.

Goal #1 should be getting us to care about who we are watching on screen. After almost two full seasons, do we even care if anyone dies? I don't, not really..

I found that the descent into was actually too swift. We didn't really get to see how the rest of the population reacted to it.

They probably viewed this as too expensive. Such a shame..

Goal #1 should be getting us to care about who we are watching on screen. After almost two full seasons, do we even care if anyone dies? I don't, not really..

I'm actively rooting for some of the characters to die. Particularly Chris.

So in that sense, I do care if the character die. Just not in the way the creators intended, heh

This is the first show that's done that for me, too. So many of the characters are just so unlikeable, I feel the show would be better off without them.

Top Bottom