• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February WrassleGAF |BO-T| And Bo-ing is Half the Battle

antonz

Ugh WWE is still hyping a will he or wont he show up thing with Glenn Beck. they just posted about it again a few minutes ago

Striker

I've said it before, but I honestly never liked Undertaker save for his Biker days when it was all about him demanding "RESPECT" and steamrolling through everyone on the roster or just screwing with them in and out of the ring because he terrified them. It's a shame that couldn't have lasted and so many demanded the long drawn out entrances (which like Randy Orton get more cheer than anything done in the ring).
I loved the Biker Taker gimmick. He beat the shit out of guys but looked awesome doing it. Grew a bit tired of the Deadman gimmick once he returned to it - the Ministry version was pretty nice, though.

Entropia

No One Remembers
5GWVHzF.png

Shawn Stasiak's 'failed run in attacks' on WWF wrestlers during the InVasion angle is pretty goofy, but still funny.

----

WCW 2001 and Beyond Fantasy Booking update.

The final show before The Great American Bash PPV.

Before the show Cash provoked, then attacked, Buff Bagwell leading to a fight which had to be broken up by several wrestlers.

July Week 2 2001

WCW Saturday Night #2 (1 hour show on F/X)
Commentary Team: Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay & Stevie Ray.

7,430 @ Pepsi Coliseum

Dark Match: Shannon Moore v Shark Boy
In a bout that had solid in-ring action but non-existent crowd heat, Shannon Moore defeated Shark Boy in 9:57 by pinfall with a Mooregasm. (E+)

Dark Match: Air Raid v Harris Brothers
In a bout that had solid in-ring action but non-existent crowd heat, Harris Brothers defeated Air Raid in 10:22 when Don Harris defeated Air Paris by pinfall with a H-Bomb. (D-)

Dark Match: Chris Kanyon v Hugh Morrus
In a match that had some good action and average heat, Kanyon defeated Hugh Morrus in 15:21 by pinfall. (C-)

- The show opens with Mike Tenay, Tony Schiavone and Stevie Ray discussing last week's show. They talk about Booker T's desire to be a good WCW Heavyweight Champion. How he won the title on the 'last ever' Nitro and thought his dream had gone with it. Now that WCW is back Booker is determined to show the world how much of a great wrestler he is, and that WCW is back. (D-)

- 'Fight for the Gold' Match: Johnny Swinger v Lance Storm
In a bout that had solid in-ring action but not much in the way of heat, Lance Storm defeated Johnny Swinger in 15:26 by submission with a Canadian Maple Leaf. (D+)

- A single, familiar mask slowly fades into shot. (D+)

- Sirens. HOlla if you hear me. Scott Steiner makes his way to the ring. He talks about how Booker T makes him sick. Booker might have won the title, and he might be a 'fighting champion', but who the hell is Mike Awesome? If Booker T was a fighting champion he'd fight a real man, a genetic freak. Scott Steinr wants Booker T to show himself and defend the title. (B-)

- WCW Cruiserweight Title Match: Cash v Gregory Helms (c)
In a bout that had solid in-ring action but not much in the way of heat, Gregory Helms defeated Cash in 10:18 by pinfall with a Vertebreaker. Gregory Helms makes defence number 1 of his WCW Cruiserweight title. (D-)

- Scott Steiner is in the ring again. Still no sign of Booker T. Suddenly familiar music plays... 'HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!' It's Jim Duggan! 'You wanna fight, tough guy!?' (C)

- Match: Jim Duggan v Scott Steiner
In an extremely short match, Scott Steiner defeated Jim Duggan in 5:15 by submission. (C-)

- After the match Steiner starts to throw Duggan around like a rag doll, beating him down and locking him back into the Steiner Recleiner. Duggan passes out. It looks like Steiner is about to attack Duggan with the 4x4 plank when... (C)

- Lex Luger runs in to save Jim Duggan, grabbing the 4x4 first. Steiner leaves the ring, shouting trademark Steiner ad-lib abuse at Luger. (D+)

Show ends.

TV Rating: 0.27 (down from 0.28 the previous week)

(Another 'poor show' according to TEW13, with popularity loses in 10 regions. The general feeling is that there are no interesting storylines at the moment. On the plus side Scott Steiner came out of the show looking good. However, Steiner was annoyed by being scripted during his promo! I have a feeling that the PPV will suffer from a lack of real build up/only 2 hours of TV so far

Basically at this point there's only 1 real match for The Great American Bash:

US Title: Billy Kidman v Lance Storm
).

Billy Kidman and Lance Storm have both qualified for the 'Fight for the Gold' match so far. Who will win?
Booker T promised last week to be a true fighting champion, yet he didn't appear this week. Where was Booker T? Will he appear at The Great American Bash tomorrow?

Vestal

So is the working theory for tonight that Lights go out mid Punk vs Cena match, Shield lays Cena out, lights come back on and Punk has the uber smirk, goes for the cover and lights go out again and we get the Gong or Taker just appears in the ring?

jred2k

This is how I see it playing out. The Rock is going to cut a promo and start calling Paul Heyman Twinkie tits again. The Undertaker is going to hear the word "Twinkie" and run out in an angered daze. "They don't even make those anymore, where the fuck are they?" After finding that there are, in fact, no Twinkies for him, he'll go in to a rage and pick a fight with the first person he sees. CM Punk will be out there with Paul Heyman and will be collateral damage. RAW fades to black with the Deadman yelling "I'm gonna eat his tits!" while pointing at Heyman with his eyes rolled back in his head.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This is how I see it playing out. The Rock is going to cut a promo and start calling Paul Heyman Twinkie tits again. The Undertaker is going to hear the word "Twinkie" and run out in an angered daze.

I like the way you think right out of the gate.

ibw2R0Bj1SJtz.gif

I started thinking about wrestling tournaments last night. Here's what I could remember:

ROH
World title tournament
Race to the Top Tournament
Survival of the Fittest tournament

PWG
DDT4
Battle of Los Angeles

Chikara
Tag World Grand Prix/King of Trios
Rey de Voladores
Young Lions Cup tournament

IWA-MS (defunct)
Ted Petty Invitational

CZW
Best of the Best
Tournament of Death

ECWA
Super 8

WWE
King of the Ring
Brawl for All

TNA
Fight for the Right tournament

Are there any other notable tournaments I've forgotten?

Cagey

Banned
I'm going to start turning the best WrestleGAF posts into images. You can't stop me.

This should be a monthly feature in the OP.

That time after CM Punk left and Rey Mysterio won a tournament to be crowned WWE Champion, only for John Cena to show up and be a colossal cockbag, forcing Rey to defend his title later that same night for no reason, and Cena won because CENA.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Undertaker says 'punk gets to have a gut, why can't i?"

Punk is in amazing cardiovascular shape, and that's far far more important for a wrestler than how much they can lift or their body fat percentage.

He regularly runs half marathons and I think has run 1 or 2 full marathons.

Being jacked with muscles weighs you down, and hurts your stamina in the ring.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll263/johnlowe316/CmPunk2.jpg
http://z.about.com/d/prowrestling/1/0/B/D/-/-/cmpunk.jpg
Even though Punk has extra pudge now compared to how he looks in the 2nd link I posted, he's probably still in better wrestling shape than in the first pic from his indy days.

Unless your opponent is sandbagging, you just don't need the muscles to lift your opponent all that much. Most of the slams and suplexes performed in the ring simply involve the person receiving the suplex or slam jumping, and the person "delivering" the move just redirecting their momentum. In the ring, you're doing lots of jumping, running, repetitions of going from a horizontal to a vertical position (and back again). Not lifting.

I'd rather see a wrestler have the physique of CM Punk or Daniel Bryan than John Cena or The Rock.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
This should be a monthly feature in the OP.

That time after CM Punk left and Rey Mysterio won a tournament to be crowned WWE Champion, only for John Cena to show up and be a colossal cockbag, forcing Rey to defend his title later that same night for no reason, and Cena won because CENA.

And then for some reason we were supposed to think there was a "controversy" of who the REAL WWE champion was between CM Punk and John Cena, even though the order of events went like this:

*CM Punk cleanly beats Cena for the title*
*8 Days later, John Cena beats a fatigued Rey Mysterio for the fake title*

Forkball

That will be Rey's only WWE title reign too.

Speaking of stupid booking where they instantly take the title, remember when Orton was given the WWE title, lost it minutes later to HHH, and won it back later that night? Even the hardcore title could go a day without that.

I started thinking about wrestling tournaments last night. Here's what I could remember:

ROH
World title tournament
Race to the Top Tournament
Survival of the Fittest tournament

PWG
DDT4
Battle of Los Angeles

Chikara
Tag World Grand Prix/King of Trios
Rey de Voladores
Young Lions Cup tournament

IWA-MS (defunct)
Ted Petty Invitational

CZW
Best of the Best
Tournament of Death

ECWA
Super 8

WWE
King of the Ring
Brawl for All

TNA
Fight for the Right tournament

Here's a few more;

PWG - Tango & Cash Invitational, Bad Ass Mother 3000 PWG Title Tournament

ROH - Field of Honor, Best of the American Super Jr's, Trios Tournament

TNA - Super/America/World X-Cup Tournament, Chris Candido Cup

And some Japanese promotions;

AJPW - Champion Carnvial, Junior League, World's Strongest Tag Team League, Junior Tag Team League

Dragon Gate - King of Gate, King of Chop, Summer Adventure Tag League

NJPW - G1 Climax, Best of the Super Jr's, World Tag League, New Japan Cup, Young Lion Cup, Super Jr's Tag Tournament

NOAH - Global League, Global Tag League, Junior League, Jr. Heavyweight TV Cup Tag League

Also, IWA-MS are no longer defunct (Ian got some money marks to actually buy the promotion, and then carry on letting him book it, lol) but the TPI is.

Cagey

Banned
Punk is in amazing cardiovascular shape, and that's far far more important for a wrestler than how much they can lift or their body fat percentage.

He regularly runs half marathons and I think has run 1 or 2 full marathons.

Being jacked with muscles weighs you down, and hurts your stamina in the ring.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll263/johnlowe316/CmPunk2.jpg
http://z.about.com/d/prowrestling/1/0/B/D/-/-/cmpunk.jpg
Even though Punk has extra pudge now compared to how he looks in the 2nd link I posted, he's probably still in better wrestling shape than in the first pic from his indy days.

Unless your opponent is sandbagging, you just don't need the muscles to lift your opponent all that much. Most of the slams and suplexes performed in the ring simply involve the person receiving the suplex or slam jumping, and the person "delivering" the move just redirecting their momentum. In the ring, you're doing lots of jumping, running, repetitions of going from a horizontal to a vertical position (and back again). Not lifting.

I'd rather see a wrestler have the physique of CM Punk or Daniel Bryan than John Cena or The Rock.

Part of being a pro wrestler is looking like a bad ass, and part of looking like a bad ass is looking huge.

You're describing the physical mechanics of conducting a pro wrestling match, but pro wrestling is in-ring skill + psychology + look + gimmick + mic work + presence etc.

I think the Punk stuff is overblown because he has a unique look (tats) to create a "bad ass rebel" look, but if he was tattoo free, it'd be real hard to take him seriously as a threat to anyone.

f3niks

I love of the talk of Punk and Bryan being brought up in the merchandise talk as if they sold out and we're marks for buying these products. I seem to remember a fuckton of smoking skull shirts and Austin 3:16 shirts back in the day...marks will be marks and the WWE will continue to try and make money via tshirts and other merchandise.

Part of being a pro wrestler is looking like a bad ass, and part of looking like a bad ass is looking huge.

Shit, well someone better tell Dusty Rhodes that he's not ever going to get anywhere in this business looking like that. And Bob Backlund, while they're at it. And Mick Foley, too.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
http://fb.me/2mhcl68Ay

That angle sure is getting some attention.

To quote:

"Worldwide Wrestling Entertainment -- or WWE -- a wildly popular world with characters like "Hacksaw," "Dr. Death" and "Road Warrior Hawk." is now in the forefront of the immigration battle. Seriously. In its latest skit to promote its big fight, between Alberto del Rio and Jack Swagger -- is two guys impersonating intolerant Tea Party members opposed to immigration. This offended talk show host and Tea Party champion Glenn Beck, who said: "The WWE now has put a new character out that is demonizing the tea party...I can take it from a lot of people ... but not the stupid wrestling people, especially since I would imagine a lot of people watching are not the New York Elites." WWE swung back -- saying, hey Glenn -- did you know 20 percent of WWE fans are Hispanic? So chill out -- it's just entertainment. "Many of your followers are WWE fans and they understand the difference between reality and entertainment," said Zeb Colter. "Are you out of touch with your audience, Glenn? Or are you just a stupid political commentator?" WWE invited Beck to appear on "Monday Night Raw" for a rebuttal. But, according to the Hollywood Reporter, Beck declined. Seems he's busy that night.

Talk Back: Will the WWE magic work for immigration?"

A shame that 2/3 named superstars are dead. :(

Cagey

Banned
Shit, well someone better tell Dusty Rhodes that he's not ever going to get anywhere in this business looking like that. And Bob Backlund, while they're at it. And Mick Foley, too.

Well Bob and Dusty were a different era, you know that. When everyone looked like Arn Anderson and the Steamboat types were circus freak show oddities, it's easier.

But as I said in the post, having a unique look (Mick, Dusty) helps. As does the gimmick. It's a total package, and someone looking like they can physically beat up their opponent matters.

Picking guys on the WWE roster, looking like you can beat up your opponent can mean 1) looking like a bodybuilder (Cena), 2) being huge (Big Show), 3) being huge and fat (Brodus Clay), 4) looking like you're crazy (Punk). The CM Punk fat criticism is overblown in importance because he's so good elsewhere, but a guy's look does matter.

It's pro wrestling. It's a show. Appearance is part of the show.

Whats up guys.
Long time reader here but never really post too much. BUT! Im watching the youtube video of Glenn Beck trashing on WWE. Got a few things to say.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40lnosLzE4M

So its ok if he don't like WWE but if you listen at the begining he slams anyone that watches it. Also the way he starts going into it and calls all the wrestles stupid and mocks them? Breaking down the swagger character and ripping it apart.

Either this is all a part of it or not I can not wait till tonight to see WWE SMASH this tool.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Whats up guys.
Long time reader here but never really post too much. BUT! Im watching the youtube video of Glenn Beck trashing on WWE. Got a few things to say.

So its ok if he don't like WWE but if you listen at the begining he slams anyone that watches it. Also the way he starts going into it and calls all the wrestles stupid and mocks them? Breaking down the swagger character and ripping it apart.

Either this is all a part of it or not I can not wait till tonight to see WWE SMASH this tool.

Who uploaded that video?

BO DALLAS

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bo Dallas to fight Glenn Beck.

Stand Up For Bo Dallas!

The CM Punk fat criticism is overblown in importance because he's so good elsewhere, but a guy's look does matter.

Of course, but not everyone is the total package - you've got the accentuate the positives and disguise the negatives, and if Punk's negative is that he isn't as cut as half the guys on the roster, then you build up his experience, his tenacity, his viciousness, anything to show that he has the advantage in any given situation. Personally, I think the 'Punk's fat', 'Punk doesn't look like a champion' stuff only ever comes up because they don't do enough to make him look like a threat, to make him look tough and dangerous, to make him look like a guy who can systematically dismantle and damage anyone on the roster, regardless of if they have a superior physique. It's a problem with much of their heel booking nowadays, I find. Unless a guy is a physical monster, he's getting booked as a chikenshit.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Of course, but not everyone is the total package - you've got the accentuate the positives and disguise the negatives, and if Punk's negative is that he isn't as cut as half the guys on the roster, then you build up his experience, his tenacity, his viciousness, anything to show that he has the advantage in any given situation. Personally, I think the 'Punk's fat', 'Punk doesn't look like a champion' stuff only ever comes up because they don't do enough to make him look like a threat, to make him look tough and dangerous, to make him look like a guy who can systematically dismantle and damage anyone on the roster, regardless of if they have a superior physique. It's a problem with much of their heel booking nowadays, I find. Unless a guy is a physical monster, he's getting booked as a chikenshit.

Luger, the only true total package.

Brinbe

Whats up guys.

OMG, this is so fucking hilarious. They're staring into the mirror of their idiocy and they're trying their damndest to explain it away.

Well-done, Vince. You've done it again.

strobogo

Banned
Well Bob and Dusty were a different era, you know that. When everyone looked like Arn Anderson and the Steamboat types were circus freak show oddities, it's easier.

But as I said in the post, having a unique look (Mick, Dusty) helps. As does the gimmick. It's a total package, and someone looking like they can physically beat up their opponent matters.

Picking guys on the WWE roster, looking like you can beat up your opponent can mean 1) looking like a bodybuilder (Cena), 2) being huge (Big Show), 3) being huge and fat (Brodus Clay), 4) looking like you're crazy (Punk). The CM Punk fat criticism is overblown in importance because he's so good elsewhere, but a guy's look does matter.

Backlund was in great shape. He was a guy who may not have had much definition, but had zero chub and looked and was strong as fuck. He had a body comparable to D-Bryne.

Laserfrog

I'm thinking of buying a fife to play along with my harmonica, not at the same time though that'd be crazy. But could it be done? No don't be crazy.

Laserfrog

I'm also going to buy the land that Fife is situated on and rename it Harmonica. And begin Harmonica Wrestling School without having any knowledge on the wrestling. I will name the first wrestleman through the school Big Huge Hungry Hungry Hippo Horatio. The other will be called The Big Dipper.

Backlund was in great shape. He was a guy who may not have had much definition, but had zero chub and looked and was strong as fuck. He had a body comparable to D-Bryne.

And, like D-Brine, there were a lot of naysayers who thought he was too small to ever be a draw.

I'm thinking of buying a fife to play along with my harmonica, not at the same time though that'd be crazy. But could it be done? No don't be crazy.

"Town crier, I'd like to ask you a few questions. One, where's the fife? And two, gimmie the fife."

Nice, you play harmonica? I'm trying to learn, but it's a bitch. I think I'm doing something wrong, need to sort my breathing out as I get too out of breath playing.

Also, I think it would be nigh on impossible to play both fife and harmonica at the same time, unless you quickly alternated between the two, or used another orifice to provide wind to the fife...

Laserfrog

And, like D-Brine, there were a lot of naysayers who thought he was too small to ever be a draw.

"Town crier, I'd like to ask you a few questions. One, where's the fife? And two, gimmie the fife."

Nice, you play harmonica? I'm trying to learn, but it's a bitch. I think I'm doing something wrong, need to sort my breathing out as I get too out of breath playing.

Also, I think it would be nigh on impossible to play both fife and harmonica at the same time, unless you quickly alternated between the two, or used another orifice to provide wind to the fife...

I'm trying to get betterer I took it up a few years ago and sort of plateaued but have recently got back into it.

When you draw you need to breathe in from the nose as well sometimes. You could have a straw coming from your mouth to the fife it's got to work!

KissVibes

Banned
Putting this out there.

If you are attending a Televised WWE Event and get a "BELIEVE IN SHARK JOHNSON" sign to show up on TV I will pay YOU cash money or make a donation to the charity of your choosing. PM me for details.

Vestal

Are we really discussing Punks belly? I mean do we forget the 90s? I mean not everyone was ripped to hell and back.. maybe because he dresses as he does its why its obvious...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Are we really discussing Punks belly? I mean do we forget the 90s? I mean not everyone was ripped to hell and back.. maybe because he dresses as he does its why its obvious...

There's no discussion in this room about it.

It takes up all the seats.

If I was going to RAW, I'd make a 'Cena fears Zandig' sign. And a 'WrassleGAF <3's Kane' sign.

Laserfrog said:
When you draw you need to breathe in from the nose as well sometimes

Thanks for the tip, I kind of forget all about breathing through my nose when playing, then my lungs gets all confused, lol.

Laserfrog said:
You could have a straw coming from your mouth to the fife it's got to work!

Genius! But still, it sounds very tricky to play. Record a video of your attempts, for science!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My old "KISS HIM ALREADY" sign never made it onto TV :(

But my REGAL :mad: one did.

Top Bottom