• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

Heroman

Banned
Our boy Naito did it!!!
9SmEiqm.jpg

Tagyhag

Unfortunately, whether it's connected or not, there was a decent surge of ticket sales once Shane vs 'Taker was announced last year. Plus, he got a giant pop when he came back. All while some of us tried to point out he was a terrible wrestler, a terrible personality, and terrible behind the scenes.

Ah well that explains that.

Also, is he really terrible behind the scenes? I never heard anything about that.

How do we know that? Any examples?

Various interviews with ex-writers and Meltzer saying that he made post-WCW Russo look good when it came to creative ideas. Business wise, he was good, if maybe too forward looking (let's do a streaming show when our core audience is likely still on shitty DSL in the early 2000's!)

Since when do we consider Shane to be awful behind the scenes too? I don't remember anything about that aspect

Congrats, you're part of the problem

Apparently he is best buds with everyone's favorite, Kevin Dunn. He tried to take over creative in 2009 or something, backed by Dunn to give him more creative control.

There was an article on Vice about it, I think.

miserable

Apparently he is best buds with everyone's favorite, Kevin Dunn. He tried to take over creative in 2009 or something, backed by Dunn to give him more creative control.

There was an article on Vice about it, I think.

in that case, fuck Shane.

fuck all the McMahons. yes, that includes Rod McMahon too

Rimfya

Banned
His attitude on Talking Smack is bad enough, especially since they must know how much fans enjoy that show for what it is. But still, if he's okay with AJ throwing him through a glass window it might be okay.

in that case, fuck Shane.

fuck all the McMahons. yes, that includes Rod McMahon too

Here you go, friend.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/artic...-inside-look-at-wwes-unlikely-business-empire

(A spokesperson for WWE originally denied that Shane had approached WWE in any capacity between 2009 and 2016, but later confirmed that this meeting took place when asked about this exchange specifically.)

"When Stephanie found out Shane was going to be there, she went white in the face," the source told me. "And Paul freaked out." Shane had set up the meeting through Kevin Dunn, WWE's executive vice-president of production and Vince's right-hand man for nearly three decades; he is the second-highest-paid employee at the company behind Vince (according to SEC documents, Dunn's 2016 base salary is $909,560). Shane had a simple proposal: that he take over all of creative, including the writer's room, with Frey and his team at Full Fathom Five as consultants.

"Kevin Dunn is very close to Shane," the source said. "And there's tremendous tension between Kevin, and Paul and Stephanie. They feel like the company is theirs, but they don't have power to control Kevin." Presumably, if Dunn could figure out a way to get Shane back in the company in a high-ranking position, he would have even more influence with Vince. And Shane, too, could regain control over at least a portion of his family's legacy. It was a win-win for the pair.

Pikma

Banned
Oh my god Liv Morgan somehow looked worse than ever before in this week's episode

Peyton Royce seems to be improving much faster than her.

Percy Watson's delivery and the things he says reminds me of the stilted, prerecorded commentary lines from the video games.
Otunga does that for me. It drives me insane. Just passionless and completely disconnected.

Yeah, I was fine with Percy at first but since the last Takeover he's become Otunga 2 with the same, read off a script wrestling game commentary delivery.

Oh my god Liv Morgan somehow looked worse than ever before in this week's episode

Peyton Royce seems to be improving much faster than her.

Well Royce has been in the biz for like eight years, surprising I know but she's only 24.

Cena doing mainstream things helps the WWE at a corporate level a metric ton more than twenty dozen AJ vs. Nakamura matches or whatever.

Whatever. Just think his promos are hilarious given they're all about how he loves wrestling more than anyone else because he wants to be in WWE... but he'll disappear for months on end whenever he has something better to do, how now one deserves anything they have to earn it... well except him who can just waltz in after months off to declare himself #1 contender.

Pikma

Banned
Whatever. Just think his promos are hilarious given they're all about how he loves wrestling more than anyone else because he wants to be in WWE... but he'll disappear for months on end whenever he has something better to do, how now one deserves anything they have to earn it... well except him who can just waltz in after months off to declare himself #1 contender.
Yeah but you gotta remember he has absolutely no say on whatever his character is or does /s

cordy

Banned
Yeah he's going to take time off to film another movie apparently. This movie's going to be his biggest role thus far. He's one of 3 fathers trying to stop their daughters from having sex on prom night.

With that said, with Cena gone Ambrose and Orton will be carrying the face side of the brand again. Maybe Styles if they wanna turn him who knows.

Wait did Cena actually say that? Fuck off

Say that he was taking time off? He's not booked on anything post Mania and is scheduled to shoot a movie.

The thing about AJ Styles? Yeah on a Smackdown a few weeks before the Rumble, and before the Today Show I'm wrestling some guy from Atlanta promo, there was a promo segment where AJ Styles talked about his love for the business how he didn't care if he was wrestling in a sold out stadium or a school gym because he just loved wrestling. Cena then said you know what the difference between him and AJ is? He said you wrestle because you have to, I wrestle because I want to, completely ignoring everything AJ had just said. It was such a dick promo. All of Cena's promos recently are him just being an asshole

Pikma

Banned
Say that he was taking time off? He's not booked on anything post Mania and is scheduled to shoot a movie.

The thing about AJ Styles? Yeah on a Smackdowbln a few weeks before the Rumble, and before the Today Show I'm wrestling some guy from Atlanta promo, there was a promo segment where AJ Styles talked about his love for the business how he didn't care if he was wrestling in a sold out stadium or a school gym because he just loved wrestling. Cena then said you know what the difference between him and AJ is? He said you wrestle because you have to, I wrestle because I want to, completely ignoring everything AJ had just said. It was such a dick promo. All of Cena's promos recently are him just being an asshole
Ugh, disgusting

Ugh, disgusting

I'd prefer if Cena didn't always shit on everyone he was feuding with but I'm kinda ok with it because he puts on good matches and I just treat him like a heel and root for the other guy.

Plus I think it's mindbogglingly hilarious just how much of a dick Cena comes across as in these things. Like the You Deserve it chant on Tuesday for Bay, you know that Cena just winged that part of the promo and it's just like lol what an asshole, because he literally said all those fans were just brainwashed (which I guess means what all the fans are sheep and don't actually like what they like?) by Bray and that he didn't deserve shit... like as much as he pretends to not be bothered by the mixed reaction he gets I wonder if part of him thinks everyone who boos him just does it to be cool or something and that none of it is his fault

It's just so funny hearing that shit from the mouth of ostensibly one of the biggest baby faces of all time... It made Bray pinning him in the main event super satisfying... which goes back to I just treat Cena like a heel.

Pikma

Banned
Oh btw Lana said on an interview that the hotel room segment with Rusev, Lana and Enzo from a couple months ago was fully directed by none other than Triple H

which basically means that as soon as he fully takes over creative we'll be back in the attitude era

Rimfya

Banned
Oh btw Lana said on an interview that the hotel room segment with Rusev, Lana and Enzo from a couple months ago was fully directed by none other than Triple H

which basically means that as soon as he fully takes over creative we'll be back in the attitude era

So we'll get a "It was me, Austin" from H in Enzo's direction setting up an instant classic feud?

Top Bottom