• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

miserable

3o84UaesdwSZVVFf9K.gif

that's gotta hurt

LOL that battle royal finish and the going with it with the announcers and refs still selling it as if they hit at the same time when everyone blatantly saw they didn't, Dunn assuming he's the one backstage couldn't even cut away to another camera to hide it as should always be done and footage only shown if they legit hit at the same time or at least a lot closer than that... Ahhh the downside of live TV.

Yeah I think Harper was supposed to go straight from the suplex to the floor but on his way down he hit the edge of the apron which delayed him hitting the floor just long enough for AJ to clearly hit first

Ya'll should check out Lance Storm's thoughts on The Festival of Friendship from his podcast with Don Calis... I disagree with him 100% on his thoughts (he thought it didn't work and was cheap heat) but it is fascinating to listen to.

Eh fuck it I'll just post it here:
Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oefkZE8jTqs

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdOYSowZmhc

Storm and Cyrus fighting over it is great

Cryrus calling it Raw's Keizer Soze lol

Adree

Ya'll should check out Lance Storm's thoughts on The Festival of Friendship from his podcast with Don Calis... I disagree with him 100% on his thoughts (he thought it didn't work and was cheap heat) but it is fascinating to listen to.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Lance is like the inverse Cornette. Almost always right in his analysis but occasionally way off the mark. (I haven't listened yet)

Anth0ny

Part 1:

Part 2:

he's out of his fucking mind

if that's cheap heat than i can call anything cheap heat

that's some of the most expensive, finest heat I've ever seen. kevin owens is a heel in this era of fans cheering for the best workers no matter what their character is supposed to be. over months and months, he joins up with jericho and quickly becomes the most entertaining thing on the show week in and week out, getting the most babyface reactions possible.

this week, owens was booed for being a heel. a storyline heel, not a "fuck this guy cause they keep pushing him" heel, or a "fuck this guy his promos suck and he can't work a catch as catch can style" or "fuck this guy he never does the job and we're sick to death of him". he got "fuck this guy, he did a bad fake thing" heat. he got us to care so much about the fake thing that we booed him when he shit all over it.

i legit can't remember the last time that's happened.

Lance is like the inverse Cornette. Almost always right in his analysis but occasionally way off the mark. (I haven't listened yet)

Yeah he's way off the mark and his reasons are blatantly pedantic
He says they should have teasted a double babbyface turn only for KO to stay heel. Calis accurately points out that they haven't been really heels in ages and this was basically KO turning heel anyway. To which Storm complains that Jericho still was a "heel" because he wanted to help Owens cheat to beat Bill Goldberg and said that the week prior Jericho was clearly the heel against a super over Goldberg, so the turn doesn't make him a face... that's fair if we are talking about literally anyone other than Chris Jericho, which he actually acknowledges saying this won't hurt Jericho because he's over anyway because of who he is and the career he's had.. which yeah is exactly why this angle works perfectly as is... Jericho doesn't need to do the super obvious babyface turn, people love Jericho, not matter what he does basically and that would include fucking with Goldberg (essentially a face vs face scenario(.
Storm is coming from the ring places in his analysis but he's thinking of it too much in a generic angle perspective rather than factoring in the unique qualities of the people involved, he sort of acknowledges it but seems dead set on analyzing it without factoring in Jericho and his unique crowd reaction.

he's out of his fucking mind

if that's cheap heat than i can call anything cheap heat

that's some of the most expensive, finest heat I've ever seen. kevin owens is a heel in this era of fans cheering for the best workers no matter what their character is supposed to be. over months and months, he joins up with jericho and quickly becomes the most entertaining thing on the show week in and week out, getting the most babyface reactions possible.

this week, owens was booed for being a heel. a storyline heel, not a "fuck this guy cause they keep pushing him" heel, or a "fuck this guy his promos suck and he can't work a catch as catch can style" or "fuck this guy he never does the job and we're sick to death of him". he got "fuck this guy, he did a bad fake thing" heat. he got us to care so much about the fake thing that we booed him when he shit all over it.

i legit can't remember the last time that's happened.

His argument hinges on Jericho not acting like a face... it is a very very very very extremely old school analysis... it's really cool to listen to even though he's so wrong on it.

Calis represents the other side and pretty much explains it exactly how most of us saw it.

Calis' explanation of the List of Jericho in Part 1 is great it completely mirrors what I was saying about it, and that's the crux of the debate Lance Storm thinks the list is a silly joke/prop and Calis gets that it's something meaningful and important within the story.

Adree

His argument hinges on Jericho not acting like a face... it is a very very very very extremely old school analysis... it's really cool to listen to even though he's so wrong on it.

He put Tom Brady on the List!

The entire Festival of Friendship was him being a total babyface. The "shoot" speech where he told him that his time being Kevin's friend has been the best is some of the most babyface stuff ever.

Not that he's not allowed to critique but Lance Storm didn't exactly blow people away with his complex range of characters.

He put Tom Brady on the List!

The entire Festival of Friendship was him being a total babyface. The "shoot" speech where he told him that his time being Kevin's friend has been the best is some of the most babyface stuff ever.

Not that he's not allowed to critique but Lance Storm didn't exactly blow people away with his complex range of characters.

That's actually some of my feelings as well, Lance is an amazing in ring worker, probably one of the best in the ring, I even think his serious character worked and he wasn't as terrible on the mic as people say, that said he's an in ring story teller, and he's largely a teacher now. If we looked at the angle purely from a replace wrestlers with their "roles" sense it is kind of an assbackwards story: a heel turns face by being turned on by a heel... I think Lance is looking at this from a sense of if I was teaching this to my students this is a story that wouldn't work almost ever... and he's right... the reason the heel turns on heel, turning said turned on heel face (ha ha ha best sentence ever) works here isn't because of usual booking or anything it's because Chris Jericho is basically one of a few giant exceptions in that he can turn on a dime and everyone buys it because in the end everyone just loves watching Jericho perform... The reason Kevin Owens got face pops is largely because he's feeding off Jericho's popularity (Owens is funny too and he played his part well but if Jericho was say The Miz and they had a buddy buddy jokey relationship they'd probably still both have heel heat because folks want to hate the Miz, no one really wants to hate Jericho). So that's why ericho can want to cheat against Goldberg one minute and be a a genuine baby face the next, he's Chris fucking Jericho. This wasn't a heel turning on another heel, it was a heel turning on Chris Jericho...

So if Lance examines this from the perspective of just the roles (and I think bluntly he's such an old school fundamentals guy that that's how he watches all WWE storylines) then yeah he's totally right in his analysis but he's also totally wrong because you have to factor in the players....

I also think if Lance were to teach these types of tag team breakups to his students he is right to focus more on the traditional breakups like The Rockers or HHH/Batista... because those are the tried and true, the basic fundamentals, the 101 rules if you will, and for wrestlers to know when you can break those rules, you first have to really understand them. Jericho is Jericho, he can do what others can't....

That's why I love this conversation because Storm is right while being absolutely and at times in the debate condescendingly wrong and I think it shows where his creativity might be lacking, he's a stick to the rules/fundamentals of wrestling guy whereas Jericho and to an extent Callis understand that rules are made to be broken.

Callis is also right that the lack of blood from Jericho after going through the TV hurt it a bit.. not much you can do there but yeah...

I still don't know what made Corbin the most 'metal' athlete or whatever the fuck it was he won.

Does he even listen to heavy metal?
He's a tough guy with long hair and tattoos that listens to tough guy with tattoos music

Compared to normal stuff it's probably considered metal but let's not get too ahead of ourselves

Skeletos311

Part 1:

Part 2:

I can't stand Cyrus. I can't listen to Killing the Town with him on. And I loved Lance when he did Wrestling Observer shows.

He does kind of live the gimmick a bit much but fuck, Alvarez doesn't even have a gimmick and was a smarmy douche most of the time.

Meh like take the discussion about the Festival of Friendship, Storm comes off a lot more dickish than Callis and neither are really that dickish in the conversation.

He's pretty mellow on NJPW World too.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Part 1:

Part 2:

Even Austin loved the Festival of Friendship. Lance is on crack.

klonere

Banned
YAASSS ZSJ SLAY IN NJPW

Matt Riddle said that no Japanese promotion has made an offer for a tour or anything to him yet. I'm kinda shocked that NJPW haven't talked to him at all.

Yeah... but his point is still on but he's just constantly taking the Jericho factor out. Like he can't seem to accept that Jericho is why the angle works. That it's not that Jericho will get over in spite of the segment but that the segment got over because of Jericho, because Lance seems to really be a fundamentals guy and the angle breaks a ton of "rules".

It's just such an actually interesting completely wrong analysis.

klonere

Banned
I'm not that shocked considering what happened with Sydal

Yeah I'm figuring that might be it.

Pity Baba isn't around anymore, that man could get the gajin's off the hook for bringing in pharmacies worth of pills. Although from totally unsourced hearsay, apparently Japan has far less problems with pills/manufactured opiates than it does with the green stuff.

Alexa! :D

Poor Naomi. :(

Harper should be main eventing Wrestlemania, lol botch finish.

"Oh man we had like 12 refs but they were all out of position! What are the odds! And our cameras, I tell ya, none of them got a good view of it at all! Trust us, we looked!"

Dwayne gave Luke dat WM rub last year and it's finally paying off! Not like those failures Cena and Reigns. STRAIGHT TO THE
pre-show
MAIN EVENT BABY!

I don't know if it is because I am Australian and at least in my area the word cunt is used in damn near every sentence (and is absolutely not meant in a sexist way, our local dialect is just fucked beyond belief), but they have been alluding to the word cunt on talking shoot, right?

Talking Shoot gives no shits at all, they talk about big dicks, want to call people cunts, instruct Hall of Famers to suck their penis.

That's why it's the best show they do! So off script it's hilarious.

D-Bry is savage, he just says whatever he wants and when someone flubs a line he makes it even worse mocking them lol. Poor Alexa last week. <3

You know that discussion with AJ was from long car rides to the bingo halls back in the day lol.

Constantly talking about Tout, I'm surprised he doesn't show up wearing an XFL shirt next.

I don't know if it is because I am Australian and at least in my area the word cunt is used in damn near every sentence (and is absolutely not meant in a sexist way, our local dialect is just fucked beyond belief), but they have been alluding to the word cunt on talking shoot, right?

Becky def did tonight yep

klonere

Banned

m8 cunt in America is like tier A1 of shit you don't say on TV, so I'm kinda shocked Becky got away with even alluding to the term.

Can't wait for the Keller rant about Glen providing excellent house insurance advice.

YAASSS ZSJ SLAY IN NJPW

Matt Riddle said that no Japanese promotion has made an offer for a tour or anything to him yet. I'm kinda shocked that NJPW haven't talked to him at all.

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT BIG JAPAN I DON'T CARE IF YOU DON'T USE GAIJIN GET MATT RIDDLE FOR A TOUR.

Talking Shoot gives no shits at all, they talk about big dicks, want to call people cunts, instruct Hall of Famers to suck their penis.

That's why it's the best show they do! So off script it's hilarious.

D-Bry is savage, he just says whatever he wants and when someone flubs a line he makes it even worse mocking them lol. Poor Alexa last week. <3

You know that discussion with AJ was from long car rides to the bingo halls back in the day lol.

Constantly talking about Tout, I'm surprised he doesn't show up wearing an XFL shirt next.

Becky def did tonight yep

I'm watching it again now and it so super obvious. I thought it was at the time but I second guessed myself, I suppose.

m8 cunt in America is like tier A1 of shit you don't say on TV, so I'm kinda shocked Becky got away with even alluding to the term.

That is kinda what I was thinking. Here it is like when you see a friend they say "I bumped into 'whoever' the other day" and the response is "No shit? I haven't seen that cunt in years! What have they been up to? I've really missed the times we'd grab a beer together!"

klonere

Banned
GOD FUCKING DAMN IT BIG JAPAN I DON'T CARE IF YOU DON'T USE GAIJIN GET MATT RIDDLE FOR A TOUR.

Hideki Suzuki vs Riddle is something that should happen in this universe of ours.

Maybe Brother Yasshi can book Riddle for Scum Bastard Pro Wrestling, he'd probably fit right into that viber.

jRuG4WJ.jpg

lhn85ZA.jpg

Favourite Quote: None.

Sherri > Liz

YAASSS ZSJ SLAY IN NJPW

I'm not that shocked considering what happened with Sydal

Worth noting that Sydal was using it as a painkiller because of his messed up ankle, I don't think it would factor in New Japan's decision to bring Riddle over or not. I'm sure they're keeping an eye on him after the Shibata match, wouldn't be surprised to see him on more RevPro/NJPW shows down the line and hopefully in New Japan proper.

Top Bottom