• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Royal Reignble Fallout. NO HOLDS BARRED, SMARKS!

Was a backhand ever better delivered

xSbaf5T.gif

Hasney

If only Sblargh was here to claim this avatar I made.

jwPhJ4p.png

I think it's ridiculous that anyone can be attractive with an entire slice of watermelon in their mouth.

Anyway, DEBATE: Best NXT match so far? I get an odd laser focus when I've been out drinking, so I've watched a few matches tonight and I think the most I can narrow it down is that it's a Sami Zayn match.

2 out of 3 falls with Cesaro is the best pure wrestling, but their match at Takeover was the best blend of wrestling and story since not only did Zayn want the respect of Cesaro, but the blend of styles, especially Cesaro going strong style and Zayn having fighting spirit after multiple uppercuts was wonderful to watch. Then the show of respect at the end was a great finish to what was easily the greatest feud to that point. I just realised Zayns music sucked at that point too. On the plus side, I think the match at Takeover was Regals pinnacle of commentary.

In terms of story AND a great match, you can't ignore Zayn/Neville. If this was the main roster, Neville would have been turned full heel, but they manipulated the crowd perfectly. it's a feud that would have really worked even without the promos as the story of Sami not being able to win the big one and Neville taking shortcuts could actually tell itself in the ring, but the Zayn promos leading up to that were brilliant. You could tell he can just tap into the emotion of a moment and I hope they let him do it on the main roster. That look of him sitting up after Neville rolled him up when he was injured where the camera froze on him and the promos after where he was desperate to win the belt were brilliant.

But I think there's two things that deserve special mention in that match: The story that Sami did it doing the right thing, but without looking cheesy doing it like Cena did against Wyatt. He looked like someone who had something to prove to himself to do it the right way. But I have no idea if this was intentional, but that look before the winning helluva kick knowing it would do it manages to stand out in my mind as much as "I'm sorry, I love you" from HBK to Flair and it would never have done without Zayns story. Neville being heel for that one night was just so good.

ANYWAY, my Takeover viewing has made it to Ascension V Too Cool, so I should probably sleep... Even if I did still mark for Too Cool when they came out.

Are Shaw Brother movies on netflix?

Man I could go for some old kung fu movies. Those movies just had such an awesome feel to them.

Unfortunately not, there's a bunch of modern martial arts films on there, but the only classics are Bruce Lee films. There's quite a few classic kung fu movies on youtube that are free to watch because the copyright's lapsed or the studios don't exist any more, but no Shaw films.

Best NXT match is undoubtedly Zayn/Neville from Takeover. A payoff of a build that started the night Sami debuted. A year and a half story paid off. The definition of a slow burn.

StevieWhite

Came in the mail today as a birthday present. Stoked.

Top 5 wrestlers/gimmicks on my "irrational hate" list:

5. Abyss. For some reason his billed height really bugs me.
4. Kama (only this gimmick - don't mind Charles Wright otherwise). This dude looked nothing like a supreme fighting machine.
3. Bull Dempsey. I can generally stand dudes with shit physiques, but his just takes the cake. It looks like he doesn't even try. (Query: Why don't I hate Samoa Joe?)
2. Eddie Kingston (See number 3).
1. Alex Wright. His dancing makes me vomit in my mouth.

Came in the mail today as a birthday present. Stoked.

Top 5 wrestlers/gimmicks on my "irrational hate" list:

5. Abyss. For some reason his billed height really bugs me.
4. Kama (only this gimmick - don't mind Charles Wright otherwise). This dude looked nothing like a supreme fighting machine.
3. Bull Dempsey. I can generally stand dudes with shit physiques, but his just takes the cake. It looks like he doesn't even try. (Query: Why don't I hate Samoa Joe?)
2. Eddie Kingston (See number 3).
1. Alex Wright. His dancing makes me vomit in my mouth.
Woah. Didn't know Tyson and Cesaro were selling these....

Hasney

Best NXT match is undoubtedly Zayn/Neville from Takeover. A payoff of a build that started the night Sami debuted. A year and a half story paid off. The definition of a slow burn.

I think it was the best WWE style match. Both the story and I swear Pat Patterson was the agent on that match, especially after he came out. I hope he has a protoge in NXT if he's doing things down there.

It's why I'd love to know if Samis road to redemption was planned or they called ita s a good story at some point. Either way, its good booking so I'd have no complaints either way, I'd just love to know if it was foresight in booking or an audible based on how things were going.

Hasney

Still got Takeover on, so random thoughts:

"You still got it" chants for Steph just for walking out, so basically based on her looks and her just going "I never lost it".

Just how good Paige/Emma is. It's kind of depressing that they've never been given the chance to come close to that on the main roster and it makes me want Charlotte to be in the same bubble of NXT as long as possible. If it was Zayn/Anybody but Owens or Balor in the main event, I'd probably be looking forward to the 4 way womens match on the 11th more than anything.

I think it was the best WWE style match. Both the story and I swear Pat Patterson was the agent on that match, especially after he came out. I hope he has a protoge in NXT if he's doing things down there.

It's why I'd love to know if Samis road to redemption was planned or they called ita s a good story at some point. Either way, its good booking so I'd have no complaints either way, I'd just love to know if it was foresight in booking or an audible based on how things were going.

I think it was definitely a story when he and Breeze faced off in May. I'd argue it started with the Cesaro stuff because even then he couldn't "win the big one", but it was definitely the direction when he faced Breeze.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So Freckle, answer these two questions if you wheel.

1. Two Doinks or an Illusion?

2. Was having to fight 29 other men for the title Fair to Flair?

It's crazy how people broke the club nintendo site. Oh well, it's not like they're gonna run out of the digital game rewards any time soon... hopefully.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's crazy how people broke the club nintendo site. Oh well, it's not like they're gonna run out of the digital game rewards any time soon... hopefully.

You weren't around for the wars over the charging cradles/3DS cases/Gold Nunchuk? That site can and will crash from the power of pent up Nintendo fans.

This one though, just get up at 3am and order stuff.

You weren't around for the wars over the charging cradles/3DS cases/Gold Nunchuk? That site can and will crash from the power of pent up Nintendo fans.

This one though, just get up at 3am and order stuff.

Oh yeah, those charging cradles... I got me one of the white ones. I didn't really care about the other ones, I don't want most of the physical prizes to be honest.

Having Sami spend months chasing the belt and then lose on his first defense against a guy who just started with the company doesn't make them equals. It makes Owens look much stronger. If Zayn's going to stay around for a while longer the first match should end with a DQ or something and then Owens should win the rematch. I hope he gets called up after WM so it doesn't really matter what they do here.

Not his first defense. He retained against Neville in a rematch.

Top Bottom