• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Federal judge grants stay on Trump ban for people who landed in U.S. with valid visas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just donated $35 to the ACLU, I strongly encourage anyone who supports their work opposing this bullshit to donate as well, they'll be working overtime for sure.

JP_

Banned
And from now on, Bannon is going to lawyer the fuck up before holding a pen to write another executive order.

Get ready, because while the humiliation may taste sweet, the worst is probably yet to come.

I'm not convinced they will stop this "shoot first, ask questions later" approach. Similar to republicans' anti abortion bills, doing damage before it's defeated in court is a feature, not a bug.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The thing with Darweesh is a perfect example of why doing something like this is insane.

Small victories.
fckya.gif

MSNBC reporting that the stay was granted and no one can be sent back to those countries but they don't know yet if those being detained can be released from detention.

One small step, but hopefully a step to the end of this shit.

Irish guy here who hoped to move to the U.S. for job-related stuff this year. $100 donated to ACLU

fuck Trump

kirblar

If this goes to the Supreme Court, what's the likely outcome, assuming this happens with Bryor on the court?
They're very going to be at 4-4. (before considering that Kennedy's a swing) McConnell seems unwilling to kill the fillibuster.

Diablos

The actual make up of the court won't be changed dramatically with a conservative Justice replacing Scalia. The swing is still Kennedy.
Right. Now if someone else steps down...

This is good news but it's fucking infuriating that we are so heavily invested in this President's actions and he hasn't even been there for 10 days. This is not healthy for the nation.

Afrodium

Banned
Eat shit Trump.

However, if this only applies to detainees then everyone in transit while the order was signed should now be good and I imagine no one else will be coming. I don't think Trump will track down the handful of people detained in an airport today, so now the Muslim ban is in place with the major disruption ironed out.

Boke1879

Keep fighting people. This was a much needed win and hopefully sets the groundwork going forward. Keep donating to the ACLU. We'll need them a lot more going foward.

And from now on, Bannon is going to lawyer the fuck up before holding a pen to write another executive order.

Get ready, because while the humiliation may taste sweet, the worst is probably yet to come.

My hope is that he gets a shitty or dumb lawyer (but I am thinking he has links to evil, smart, selfish ones)

I sincerely hope the American people don't forget what the Trump administration just tried to do. This whole event and the ones before it needs to be burned in their minds when they vote in the midterms

You are asking for a lot for a group of people who have awful short term memory

The providence of the just will override the hateful rhetoric of the needlessly frustrated.. Do not stop stop now people. Keep taking to the streets, donate to the ACLU, do not let the future become an effortless reality.

They're old stock Republicans with lifetime appointments. The court will easily swing 6-2 if not 7-1. They couldn't give a damn what Trump's base thinks and I'd bet most despise him.

If it doesn't go 8-0, then it would be one of the biggest disgraces the court has ever known. Clear violation of the First Amendment, among everything else.

Game-Biz

Really hope Trump is super pissed. Actually, I don't hope, I know he is haha.

This little piece of positive short-term news made this night a little bit better. Like others of have said, no one should give Trump a fucking inch, ever.

MSNBC chief legal counsel says that ACLU told him that the ban for future entrants are still in effect. The stay only affects those that are already admitted or already on thier way. Those arriving in the future will still be detained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom