• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Federal judge grants stay on Trump ban for people who landed in U.S. with valid visas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

And from now on, Bannon is going to lawyer the fuck up before holding a pen to write another executive order.

Get ready, because while the humiliation may taste sweet, the worst is probably yet to come.
We're a week in. The worst is definitely yet to come.

Ac30

If it doesn't go 8-0, then it would be one of the biggest disgraces the court has ever known. Clear violation of the First Amendment, among everything else.

Expecting Alito and Thomas not vote like partisan hacks is a stretch, but I can see Alito agreeing the EO is unconstitutional.

FyreWulff

Sign up for monthly ACLU donations if you can. Even small amounts helps. A one time 5 dollar donation helps. Anything helps.

Ogodei

I suspect this will be a trend for Trump's EOs when they reach the court, and Trump's team will then look for ways to strip them of power.

Need congress to redefine judicial purview (and, ironically, any attempt by congress to change the court's jurisdiction... can be reviewed by the court). There are certain cases defined as original jurisdiction for the Federal Judiciary by the Constitution, but the rest is up to Congress via Judiciary Act of 1789.

iFn3ZmD.png
It's nice to laugh again

watershed

Banned
Thank god but I can't help but feel terrible that in the age of Trump a victory is a momentary return to the norm instead of something like progress. All we can do is try to limit the damage he will do.

cordy

Banned
The more people resist, the better it'll be in the end. Keep on resisting and doing what you can. The quicker he's outta power the better.

Coffinhal

Title needs to be updated, that's a big difference.

Yes that's a temporary and emergency measure to solve the shitty situations that this created for people today, but the full scope will apply and he's still banning 134Millions people with a religious criteria

RPGCrazied

Some Professor did say he was going to get constantly sued once as President and would be impeached. Its all coming to fruition!

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I wonder why this is.

Because it's Saturday night and this is an emergency situation. They aren't going to litigate the entire thing right now. The fight will continue. But this is a major early win for the ACLU (and America) and an enormous embarrassment for Donald "The Human Piece of Shit" Trump.

It's only a temporary measure to help those currently affected in transit and in detainment, from the looks of things.
Yeah. On Monday shit is gonna hit the fan

Because it's Saturday night and this is an emergency situation. They aren't going to litigate the entire thing right now. The fight will continue. But this is a major early win for the ACLU (and America) and an enormous embarrassment for Donald "The Human Piece of Shit" Trump.
No doubt

This is such a massive blow to begin with because it makes it pretty clear that they can't just enact whatever fucking nonsense they want without consequences

We'll see if they care but I'll take whatever win we can get here

Soulflarz

Banned
Some Professor did say he was going to get constantly sued once as President and would be impeached. Its all coming to fruition!

literally every professor

I'm at a college by chicago and my one polisci class at his election day was...amusing to say the least. People hiding political biases for the sake of inclusiveness was not in the memo that day.

Mobius 1

Set up a recurring donation. You can afford to skip a coffe or a used game for the sake of your fellow Americans and people of the world that deserve better from us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom