• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Federal judge grants stay on Trump ban for people who landed in U.S. with valid visas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashby

So a question somebody just asked me that I didn't have an answer for: if this is unconstitutional how did FDR get away with interning Japanese-Americans?

Blader

Is there precedent for a federal court to go directly against a president's executive order like this?

I kinda hope not, just so that Trump gets the bonus of being the first president to be given such a middle finger like that by the federal courts. It has to be humiliating.
Many of Obama's executive orders were halted by federal courts, usually in Texas.

So a question somebody just asked me that I didn't have an answer for: if this is unconstitutional how did FDR get away with interning Japanese-Americans?
Not the same thing, and the Supreme Court had ruled that those interment camps were constitutional anyway (and that decision, Korematsu, has still technically never been overturned either, though it's universally reviled by judges still).

Garlador

1940s. Black people weren't equal either.

It was wrong and unconstitutional then too.

We've matured.

Boke1879

This is the judge who granted the stay.
Ahmed Shihab-EldinVerified account
‏@ASE

Follow
More
Judge Ann M. Donnelly, United States District Court E.District of NY has granted emergency stay on Trump's EO #nomuslimban

sj6UBB3.jpg

Heroes don't always wear capes. Many worse suits and robes today.

Kiss what I twist and I don't mean my wrist, you wrinkly orange bitch. Don't stop fighting ya'll, we ain't going gentle into the good night, not while are livelihood and progress is at stake.

Sean C

The Supreme Court upheld the Japanese-American internment in the Korematsu decision, which basically all jurists now agree was totally improper.

First, we haven't gotten an definitive ruling on the constitutionality. We just got a temporary stay. Who knows what would happen if SCOTUS were to hear arguments on this. Second, EO9066 happened in a very different time in our history, both in terms of views on race and in terms of just being at war. That doesn't mean that SCOTUS ruling against Korematsu was just or truly constitutional though. It wasn't.

TylerD

This midterm election better see the biggest turnout ever or so help me

Do your part to help. Call you local Democratic headquarters and ask how you can get involved. Everyone that starts now can make a difference in the 2018 midterms.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
is anyone else having trouble donating to the ACLU? i keep getting 502 bad gateway when i hit submit.

Public perception is the biggest victory we had tonight. I'm happy a small group of people will be kept safe for now, but the true victory is Donald Trump's face being dragged through the mud on a national scale. This is what builds larger victories.

This is the most important thing.

We all better pray no terrorist does anything in the coming months, or Trump stays.

Here in Mexico, we were almost going to get rid of Peña Nieto, until fucking DJTrump appeared. Now everybody has Peña Nieto's back and #fuckingPri is back on the road for next year's election

As an American,

I do apologize for how we totally fucked up the world in the last 60 years (Cold War paranoia is helluva of thing) But (as part of the allies) we did kick some Nazi& Imperialist Japanese ass

Please I ask of every international poster here, please remember there are good people in America who are getting screwed continually because the ignorance of the electorate. Every one of us who is sane and well adjusted, let us join the good people and protest and what not and donate to people who are as good as us or even better. DONATE PLZ

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
is anyone else having trouble donating to the ACLU? i keep getting 502 bad gateway when i hit submit.

Their site is probably getting hammered. Lots of people are promoting the ACLU and promising to match donations.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't know what Trump is gonna tweet about this but I bet it's gonna be some vague threat about the future of the american judicial system

He could try undermining his supporters trust in the American courts. Of course it would bite him in the ass eventually but nothing Trump does is based on long-term planning or thinking.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Their site is probably getting hammered. Lots of people are promoting the ACLU and promising to match donations.

yea i had to completely reload the page and start over, but it worked the second time. Anyone good still matching? i've got my receipt now.

I'm going to ignore the fact that it's been deemed by many as unconstitutional following the ruling it was alright in favor of a bigger issue:

What FDR did was wrong on so many levels(and kind of hurts his otherwise fantastic record), but at the very least the declaration was issued by a sitting president of 10+ years following the attack on Pearl Harbour, during which the USA was in a state of general panic. It was wrong, but the nation had been attacked by a state.

That is miles above Trump doing this during his first month in an entire region with no actual war going on.

Zaph

Public perception is the biggest victory we had tonight. I'm happy a small group of people will be kept safe for now, but the true victory is Donald Trump's face being dragged through the mud on a national scale. This is what builds larger victories.

Bruh, this thing just dominated the international news like no other Trump story has before

Doesn't say whether they can actually enter the country
They can't from what I understand. Basically the people here can't be deported now. Expect that to changed come this week.

The ACLU wanted to protect the people here from going back to dangerous countries. That's what they ran on in court. Because the US can't prove they won't be harmed going back. The judge ordered they can't return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom