• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Federal judge grants stay on Trump ban for people who landed in U.S. with valid visas

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
yea i had to completely reload the page and start over, but it worked the second time. Anyone good still matching? i've got my receipt now.

Not sure if they still are, but these are the ones that were:

They can't from what I understand. Basically the people here can't be deported now. Expect that to changed come this week.

The ACLU wanted to protect the people here from going back to dangerous countries. That's what they ran on in court. Because the US can't prove they won't be harmed going back. The judge ordered they can't return.

Still a victory but a lot more people to fight for

slit

So a question somebody just asked me that I didn't have an answer for: if this is unconstitutional how did FDR get away with interning Japanese-Americans?

Many lawmakers did things in the past that have been examined years or even decades later by the courts and a different conclusion been reached. That's why we have legal precedents.

Gruco

Banned
And from now on, Bannon is going to lawyer the fuck up before holding a pen to write another executive order.

Get ready, because while the humiliation may taste sweet, the worst is probably yet to come.

This isn't such a terrible thing. Having to go through the process will be a moderating influence on its own and slow down the insanity. Or so I want to hope.

Certainly though, there will be more and tougher fights in the future.

Public perception is the biggest victory we had tonight. I'm happy a small group of people will be kept safe for now, but the true victory is Donald Trump's face being dragged through the mud on a national scale. This is what builds larger victories.

I think just the simple act of delivering an L to this White House is an important one. It always puts them on tilt, and hits directly at the core (winning so much getting bored of etc)

So let me check

Against
Obama's inauguration ceremony has bigger crowd - 1
Peña Nieto cancels meeting, shutting down Trump for a whole day - 1
20% tariff gets backpedaled - 1
Muslim ban EO stay granted - 1

In favor
Bannon in National Security Council - 1
Keystone shit continued - 1

That seems like 4-2 for Trump

keep taking those L's right?>

JordanN

Banned
Z0lk8dJ.jpg

"Dammit Putin, the American people are catching on and reversed my ban. What do I do now?"

"Relax, Comrade. I'll have new instructions for you tomorrow."

FyreWulff

So a question somebody just asked me that I didn't have an answer for: if this is unconstitutional how did FDR get away with interning Japanese-Americans?

It's still possible for the courts and people to make bad decisions that shouldn't have happened. That was one of them.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Even the NBA is asking questions on this, since they play games out of the country in Toronto:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...202932/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The NBA has reached out to the U.S. Department of State in an effort to understand how President Trump’s executive order suspending immigration and visas for citizens from certain countries will impact player travel.

"We have reached out to the State Department and are in the process of gathering information to understand how this executive order would apply to players in our league who are from one of the impacted countries," NBA spokesman Mike Bass said in a statement. "The NBA is a global league and we are proud to attract the very best players from around the world."

Los Angeles Lakers forward Luol Deng and Milwaukee Bucks rookie Thon Maker were born in Sudan (now South Sudan), and residents from Sudan have been banned entry into the United States for three months, according to the order.

Deng is also a British citizen, and Maker has dual citizenship in Australia and South Sudan.
The Bucks played in Toronto against the Raptors on Friday, and Maker had no issue clearing customs using his Australian passport upon his return to the United States. The Bucks and Lakers do not play in Toronto the rest of the season.

Boke1879

They haven't even put up this shit on the White House site. It is not shocking to me that GOV officials haven't seen it.

I think one thing we can hope for is that Bannon and Co. Don't knot the process. Today caused A LOT of confusion, but we won. Even if it's a small victory. We won. ACLU has time to prepare their arguments for this EO as whole.

Like tonight. The attorneys arguing in favor of the government were blindsided as well. They clearly had no argument. We have the advantage right now folks.

We aren't a full dictatorship yet. The people still have rights and at least for now. The courts can still rule in our favor.

royalan

Women took to the streets on January 21 and got crowds orders of magnitude larger than Trump's inauguration and rendered our illegitimate president into a whining pissant for an entire week (and counting).

Concerned citizens took to their city airports immediately, and practically threw money at the ACLU, and got a temporary stay on Trump's muslim ban.

These victories are minor (sadly, Trump is still in the White House), but their importance cannot be overstated. It's these little victories that are going to send the message that all the protesting and organizing is making a difference. That'll be what keeps them going.

Boke1879

Chris Mannix
@ChrisMannixYS
Sudanese-born Thon Maker (Milwaukee) won't play outside the country again this season. Neither will Sudanese-born Luol Deng (Lakers).

9:01pm · 28 Jan 2017 · Twitter Web Client

This is fucking terrible though and shows how much of shit show and how much little thought was put into this. Hopefully with stories like this the EO gets burned down.

Chris Mannix
@ChrisMannixYS
Sudanese-born Thon Maker (Milwaukee) won't play outside the country again this season. Neither will Sudanese-born Luol Deng (Lakers).

9:01pm · 28 Jan 2017 · Twitter Web Client

This is fucking terrible though and shows how much of shit show and how much little thought was put into this. Hopefully with stories like this the EO gets burned down.

I fucking knew Trump had the Sports Almanac

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Great news. I'm a college poor, but I just donated to the ACLU. Keep the fight going.

Same here. It might not be much, and I might go hungry once or twice a month, but every bit helps.

Bravo!

Beyond terrible. Smh.

Wazzy

Banned
Fuck trump and this bullshit ban. So happy to see him finally lose something.

I'll need to make a donation.

Socivol

I'm completely ashamed to be an American. People that are championing this are neither American nor are they Christians as many say that are. It's completely disgusting.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
If twitter did delete his account it would be absolutely incredible, it would legitimately hurt him more than any protest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom