• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FEZ | Spreadsheet Version OT |

daxy

Oh boy, 15 hours in and I just realized I can speak to people by pressing the B button.

Palm, meet face.

I am really enjoying this game, it is very satisfying solving the puzzles. Currently 13 hours into the game and have everything but 5 anti-cubes but I am now completely stuck.

gdt

The same problem that crept into my first short playthrough is hitting me right now. I get lost and sidetracked so I leave shit behind and then I can't remember how to get back. Fuck it I'll just keep moving forward going through doors.

Easy_G

I've been waiting for this game for years, but know nothing outside of the original trailers. Is it something best played at the same time as others? Will I miss out on something if I don't play along with this thread?

dsvoid

Neo Member
I just "beat" the game with something like 25 cubes and 7 anti-cubes. The New Game Plus reward is pretty neat! Does anybody know if it was in the 360 version as well? I am afraid of googling anything about the game until I have explored as much as I can on my own.

pMMqKqk.png

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmWiOkKDsFdPdEFJM2ZpRVFRb2k4Q2Q3a0NhdEYzaEE#gid=0

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=142842753

Blizzard

Banned
I'm very early in the game, maybe the third cube area, and my game just jumped down to 20 fps abruptly, in 720p windowed. Any idea why it might do that? :( It's a simple tower area with nothing fancy even happening.

*edit* After restarting, the intro logos are 20-24 fps, and the FEZ screen is 30 fps with stuttering sound. I suspect I will have to restart my PC before it stops. *edit* I ran the set timer resolution utility without setting anything and now it's back near 60, maybe coincidence?

*edit* Main menu sounds still seems to stutter though.

*edit* Game completely froze trying to throw a block on a block puzzle.

justjim89

Guys, I just "beat" the game and find myself more confused than ever.

What does 1st person view really change? I've been looking around the starting village in the rooms that still have secrets, but nothing seems of note still. Is the goal now just to get everything I missed first time around? Is 1st person just supposed to be something neat, or is it really a game changer? I'm terribly confused on pretty much every level at this point.

Edit: Also, I cheated in the multiple door room. Fucked around for a solid 15 minutes and then said "Fuck it" and looked up the answer. I feel kinda guilty, but I'd have never figured that out with only 3 of the treasure maps.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I just "beat" the game with something like 25 cubes and 7 anti-cubes. The New Game Plus reward is pretty neat! Does anybody know if it was in the 360 version as well? I am afraid of googling anything about the game until I have explored as much as I can on my own.
I got to the New Game+ and have no idea what to do.
It's the same as before, only that I now have a first person view that is absolutely useless.
And I haven't even found the
Gameboy-esque room :(

I swear, this game makes me feel really stupid. It can be rewarding, sure, but more often than not I feel like the biggest fool in the universe for not being able to solve its puzzles.

Blizzard

Banned
After the freeze on the 4-block block puzzle, I'm trying it again.

I think the block puzzle controls are a HORRIBLE idea. Am I missing something? I'm using a 360 controller and the following seems to be the case:

1. There is no puzzle about throwing a block onto a short ledge, but the weight, timing, and mechanics are such that this is slow, finicky, and annoying. You have to do it right at the top of a jump while holding your fingers in a weird position to switch from A to X. Why not just make this easy and leave the real challenge to placing the blocks?

2. The blocks lock in place when you stack them...but how do you unstack them? I don't see any way besides pushing blocks together so they kind of slowly move in weird glitchy ways, or knocking them off a ledge (which may get a block stuck in a wall or freeze the game).

3. Throwing blocks can either send them a short distance or really far.

4. Trying to jump back and forth to move blocks around is made slow and cumbersome by the corner ledge stick mechanics, so you stick to the corner of a block and then climb up when you are trying to just land next to or on top of it.

5. The little floaty block that talks to me WILL NOT GO AWAY. It floats over and around the puzzle with its prompt, nonstop.

6. Throwing blocks is lagged. There is like a half second delay which makes it even more obnoxious to try to time jumping throws.

Basically it seems like there could be a cool puzzle here, but the controls make it super frustrating instead of remotely fun.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Curious about another area. There's an area connected to the area with a
bell tower that consists of a pyramid poking out of the water with
a single tree on it with a door that you come out of. The area has a ? signifying a secret, and
an area on one side that when you go underwater enough a sound plays. This area is connected to another small area that I can't get to yet until I solve the puzzle.
Can anyone hint me on what to do here? Or if I can do it yet?

daxy

Curious about another area. There's an area connected to the area with a
bell tower that consists of a pyramid poking out of the water with
a single tree on it with a door that you come out of. The area has a ? signifying a secret, and
an area on one side that when you go underwater enough a sound plays. This area is connected to another small area that I can't get to yet until I solve the puzzle.
Can anyone hint me on what to do here? Or if I can do it yet?

You need to go to
the area with the crying statue/waterfall from eyes. I'll leave it at that because the process is pretty amazing ;o

Progress report: 5 anti-cubes left. These last few were rough.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I give up on this game. I have 27 normal cubes, 5 anti-cubes and 3 mini cubes. Already on New Game+, can't solve the rooms marked with an S, don't know what to do with
the first person view
, don't know where else to go.

I thought I'd be able to make an acceptable progress on this game without having to ask for help. I was wrong. And it REALLY makes me feel stupid.

megalowho

Guys, I just "beat" the game and find myself more confused than ever.

What does 1st person view really change? I've been looking around the starting village in the rooms that still have secrets, but nothing seems of note still. Is the goal now just to get everything I missed first time around? Is 1st person just supposed to be something neat, or is it really a game changer? I'm terribly confused on pretty much every level at this point.

Edit: Also, I cheated in the multiple door room. Fucked around for a solid 15 minutes and then said "Fuck it" and looked up the answer. I feel kinda guilty, but I'd have never figured that out with only 3 of the treasure maps.
It's required for a handful of anti-cubes. Try poking around in unsolved areas that have some depth, use it in different spots - you'll eventually come across what you're looking for and it'll click. It's not the be all end all of NG+ puzzles, though.

justjim89

It's required for a handful of anti-cubes. Try poking around in unsolved areas that have some depth, use it in different spots - you'll eventually come across what you're looking for and it'll click. It's not the be all end all of NG+ puzzles, though.

Ah, thanks. So the point of NG+ is basically to get the rest of the cubes, and at certain points you have to decode really complicated codes? I always figured the game would have a big moment where it all opens up, so to speak, but it seems more subtle than that.

Blizzard

Banned
The next block puzzle I ran across didn't have AS frustrating controls, but then I randomly got an anti-cube while spinning the world?

Spoiler for early block puzzle like 2 hours in:
http://abload.de/img/fez2013-05-0300-07-33tyawr.png

What was the "correct" way to solve this?
Is it just that only one of those patterns solves it and I accidentally did the right pattern the first time, or is spinning the world a glitch?

Ridley327

Ah, thanks. So the point of NG+ is basically to get the rest of the cubes, and at certain points you have to decode really complicated codes? I always figured the game would have a big moment where it all opens up, so to speak, but it seems more subtle than that.

Yeah, that's the gist of it; it's a new game+ in name only.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You need to go to
the area with the crying statue/waterfall from eyes. I'll leave it at that because the process is pretty amazing ;o
Thanks for the hint. Wish me luck. I think I know exactly where you mean.
Hmm. Not sure what to do still.
Do I have to stop the waterfall somehow? I can't get in the door behind it. I got the Red artifact block and that door glows gold at night. I talked to the owl. I went inside the weird looping tower that I can't go up but can go down and it has a warp back to the hub. And black holes appear occasionally. But nothing epic happened yet. What am I doing wrong or not at all???

Edit: Little help? Mayhaps? Possibly?

Ridley327

The next block puzzle I ran across didn't have AS frustrating controls, but then I randomly got an anti-cube while spinning the world?

Spoiler for early block puzzle like 2 hours in:
http://abload.de/img/fez2013-05-0300-07-33tyawr.png

What was the "correct" way to solve this?
Is it just that only one of those patterns solves it and I accidentally did the right pattern the first time, or is spinning the world a glitch?

Did you already get the anti-cube that's listed in the achievement list? If you haven't, then that's why you got one.

For the puzzle you're actually trying to do, here's a hint:
have you noticed the common theme with the symbols? If you haven't, it's kind of hard to say anything else about it that won't give it away as well, but there's a very specific purpose that those symbols serve in relation to the solution you need to come up with.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Chev said:
and if your computer can't do those it'll use the windows timer.
Care to elaborate on "computer can't do" part? Performance counters have been in every CPU since at least P3.

Unless you're talking about waitable timers, which are never precise anyway.

Blizzard

Banned
Did you already get the anti-cube that's listed in the achievement list? If you haven't, then that's why you got one.

For the puzzle you're actually trying to do, here's a hint:
have you noticed the common theme with the symbols? If you haven't, it's kind of hard to say anything else about it that won't give it away as well, but there's a very specific purpose that those symbols serve in relation to the solution you need to come up with.
No, looking at the achievement list feels kind of like cheating since I might not have gotten that anti-cube otherwise. However since you point that out, I checked the list, and got that one, and no, I got the anti-cube from the puzzle picture in some other way, so if someone could spoil exactly what the correct solution is I would appreciate it. I literally put cubes
nearly in the stair-step shape, but with one off since I realized I could not make one hover in the air, and then while rotating it just gave me the anti-cube after they fused.

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah, I think that I'm at the point at which I should start looking into deciphering the game's alphabet and stuff. I saw something today that pretty much put my statistical analysis thought to rest
A "word" with three letters, with the first two being the same, and unless it's "eel" or "ooh", which I really doubt, that disheartens me a bit

I bet it'll be so rewarding if I actually figure this out myself...

Ridley327

No, looking at the achievement list feels kind of like cheating since I might not have gotten that anti-cube otherwise. However since you point that out, I checked the list, and got that one, and no, I got the anti-cube from the puzzle picture in some other way, so if someone could spoil exactly what the correct solution is I would appreciate it. I literally put cubes
nearly in the stair-step shape, but with one off since I realized I could not make one hover in the air, and then while rotating it just gave me the anti-cube after they fused.

The solution is this shape (the dashes are for spacing purposes):

◘◘◘---
---◘◘◘

The reason why that's the solution is because if you didn't notice it, you're looking at 10 of the 11 possible patterns of a flattened cube, and you have to figure out how to make the 11th.

Blizzard

Banned
The solution is this shape (the dashes are for spacing purposes):

◘◘◘---
---◘◘◘

The reason why that's the solution is because if you didn't notice it, you're looking at 10 of the 11 possible patterns of a flattened cube, and you have to figure out how to make the 11th.
Huh. I REALLY don't think I
made that shape, more something like the left shape on the second row from the bottom.
Maybe it just plain gave me an anti-cube due to a glitch. =( Pity I can't reset it and try again or something. Or maybe I'm crazy and the blocks accidentally did that.

M3z_

Is there a reason that the map from the 360 version allows you to see what each section looks like but the map from the pc version just shows each area as a white or gold cube. Just watched the Giant Bomb quicklook and the map for the 360 version has a picture of each area inside the cubes on the map and my pc version does not.

Salsa

Is there a reason that the map from the 360 version allows you to see what each section looks like but the map from the pc version just shows each area as a white or gold cube. Just watched the Giant Bomb quicklook and the map for the 360 version has a picture of each area inside the cubes on the map and my pc version does not.

PC version definetly has the pictures on my end, sounds like a bug

Ridley327

Huh. I REALLY don't think I made that shape, more something like
the left shape on the second row from the bottom.
Maybe it just plain gave me an anti-cube due to a glitch. =( Pity I can't reset it and try again or something.

With that puzzle, it's not reliant on being put together in a specific position in the room, so it's possible that while you were swinging perspectives around, it happened upon one that fit the description.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Sounds like your game might be broken, mine all have pictures.

That said EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I just got 32 Cubes
That balltripping ending. THIS FIRST PERSON MODE.

HoosTrax

I feel for those people having stability or performance issues -- that was me with AOE2. Oddly enough, it's been running almost flawlessly for me for the eight hours I've put into it. Just one crash when my 360's batteries died.

Somehow I have 31 and 7/8th yellow cubes. Missing 1 cube bit is really unfortunate, but I have to go to bed now.

For the "secrets" I have a feeling deciphering the glyphs is going to play a major role for the remainder that I haven't gotten anticubes for.

Gambit61

I give up on this game. I have 27 normal cubes, 5 anti-cubes and 3 mini cubes. Already on New Game+, can't solve the rooms marked with an S, don't know what to do with
the first person view
, don't know where else to go.

I thought I'd be able to make an acceptable progress on this game without having to ask for help. I was wrong. And it REALLY makes me feel stupid.

Yeah, I've made the same amount of progress and I'm just as confused. Now I'm just wandering around hoping to stumble onto something lol

M3z_

yeah this is what my map has looked like the whole time

h ttp://i.imgur.com/h9WDW5rl.png

I saw the quicklook and instantly thought "Holy shit that looks so helpful!", haha.

Sober

Okay so kinda stuck at NG+, not sure exactly how you work the
golden door that shows up at night by the waterfall.

I think I figured out that the tetris symbols go with the movement/flip keys, as I got the one anti-cube in the small room wit ha pattern written out. The ones that are written vertical on the purple blocks though, do I need something to use them? I have the red and green artifact.

Also, the spot where you 'learn' what does what tetris symbol has a secret but I can't figure that one out either. The pattern is written there but I can't seem to duplicate it, or not sure exactly where to stand if it is.

Because when they are all written vertically the S/Z correspond to LT/RT or A/D but flipped vertically, so not sure if that's right or I'm completely wrong here. Can't seem to get any of those to work unless I'm a few steps behind to be able to do ... whatever it is I need with those, or is that just a one-off thing and I'm completely just going about it the wrong way?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Okay so kinda stuck at NG+, not sure exactly how you work the
golden door that shows up at night by the waterfall.
I'm still having trouble trying to figure out what to do with that
waterfall
to get to the door
under the water on that underwater pyramid with the single tree.

Sober

I'm still having trouble trying to figure out what to do with that
waterfall
to get to the door
under the water on that underwater pyramid with the single tree.
I suspect it has something to do with the
pattern on the door, which is slightly different from the pattern drawn on the purple monolith on the same stage.

Am I missing something since some of the symbols are written differently? Or just trying to put the corresponding button prompts not actually what is needed?

Also the boiler room at the start of the game
has a tetris piece symbol plus a cypher symbol on the same page, I'm guessing they translate roughly to that?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I suspect it has something to do with the
pattern on the door, which is slightly different from the pattern drawn on the purple monolith on the same stage.
I don't know. The
pyramid with the tree is in another area and there's apparently a door or something under the water. A poster above said I had to go to the waterfall area which is where I am and played around in it until I got the red artifact which changed the weird text into Tetris symbols and talked to the owl there. But the waterfall still flows and I still can't figure the tree area out. I suspect the pyramid either rises or the water lowers. But I don't know how. Also not sure what the point of the infinite vertical area is unless I already figured that out.

justjim89

I'm a bit perplexed as to how translation of codes works for this game. I've heard so much about people using physical notes to keep track of things. Does the game ever give you an actual key to translate things in the game, or is it just entirely up to the community to figure shit out?

I feel like there was some kind of key in the furnace room in the village, with the tetris symbols and the number? symbols. But I've no idea how to make sense of that.

Chev

Also, the spot where you 'learn' what does what tetris symbol has a secret but I can't figure that one out either. The pattern is written there but I can't seem to duplicate it, or not sure exactly where to stand if it is.

there are two rooms that are useful to understand the vertically written symbols. One is a cave and one is a classroom. The cave teaches you the buttons, the classroom how to read the vertically aligned symbols correctly.

I'm a bit perplexed as to how translation of codes works for this game. I've heard so much about people using physical notes to keep track of things. Does the game ever give you an actual key to translate things in the game, or is it just entirely up to the community to figure shit out?

There are keys for all codes required for the normal game, but the difficulty is to understand if you're looking at a puzzle or at a key in the first place. The placement of almost all of the keys has a common and logical theme though so it's not as tricky as it seems. Then there's one code that's more elaborate and the key is easy to miss, but for that one any puzzle can act as a potential key too, I learned to decipher it before I found the key. That one code, though, is actually part of the handful of god-tier puzzles that are intentionally hard as hell and will never be solved by average players, but on the other hand aren't even necessary for 100% completion

Sober

there are two rooms that are useful to understand the vertically written symbols. One is a cave and one is a classroom. The cave teaches you the buttons, the classroom how to read the vertically aligned symbols correctly.
the same one with the anticube sequence with the buttons written horizontal yeah? Alright I'll give that a spin

wutwutwut

So far (I'm at 32/29) I've encountered one seriously bullshit puzzle that I solved by looking up the answer. Not bad given the number of puzzles the game has total.

Top Bottom