• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FEZ | Spreadsheet Version OT |

M3z_

Fuck, I keep trying to pull myself away from this game, but I keep getting sucked back in.

31 5/8 Normal
17 Anti

Not having a properly functioning map is making this more tedious than it needs to be though. =/

daxy

Hmm. Not sure what to do still.
Do I have to stop the waterfall somehow? I can't get in the door behind it. I got the Red artifact block and that door glows gold at night. I talked to the owl. I went inside the weird looping tower that I can't go up but can go down and it has a warp back to the hub. And black holes appear occasionally. But nothing epic happened yet. What am I doing wrong or not at all???

Edit: Little help? Mayhaps? Possibly?

As far as I know, the text on the purple slab has always been in the form of tetrominos; you having gotten the artifact didn't change that. To solve this you need to decode what is written on that purple slab. For this you need to have found the game's equivalent of a 'Rosetta stone'.
Just keep in mind that everything is in its place for a reason. If it doesn't seem to do anything, you just haven't figured it out yet. I think that's a good way to approach this game. Also, you may want to leave this for after you've gone through the 32 cube door. You don't necessarily need to have done that, but the game has a way of making you understand it better after that.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I've made the same amount of progress and I'm just as confused. Now I'm just wandering around hoping to stumble onto something lol
It's really a shame, but I feel like I'll never solve this game. Which sucks, seeing that pretty much everyone else has gotten WAY further than me. I must have brain damage or something.

daxy

It's really a shame, but I feel like I'll never solve this game. Which sucks, seeing that pretty much everyone else has gotten WAY further than me. I must have brain damage or something.

I think you're not giving yourself enough credit here. Some of the stuff really is some next level shit. It's a matter of having it click at some point or having a eureka moment of sorts. You also need to have all the pieces to the puzzle, like with that hall of rooms section, to be able to see the greater picture and solve it. The game does give a lot of hints, but you actively need to explore and find them.

What I did was just go by all rooms that aren't golden yet and see if I can figure it out yet and move on until I'm only left with the ones that I can't. At that point there should be a thread between the type of things you can't solve yet and you can look for things that may clue you in on what you now know you need to understand to progress.

The game is a complete enigma at first, but as you go on and you're piecing its logic together through exploration at some point you just go HOLY CRAP I CAN SEE FOREVER and go back to all that stuff that was there for the taking until you knew how to look at it.

MaLDo

Any luck correcting this?

The game runs fixedtimestep which seems to be the real issue here.

I created a program to select a desired TimerResolution but there is a problem: every time a running application sets a Timer Resolution another application only can increase the Timer Resolution (lowering the value) from that point. So I can set 15 ms resolution without running aplications. Steam itself set the resolution to 1 ms. Although I managed to keep FEZ started without steam, FEZ also set the resolution to 1 ms so I only can go to 0.5 ms but not to 2 ms.

I've tested ArtMoney to modify FEZ variables into memory but after a lot of blind test I can't find any correct value to fix the problem.

If Fez is using XNA, which I think it is, it'll grab the best counter available, ie it'll grab a performance counter, and if your computer can't do those it'll use the windows timer.

I have a 2700K. The important thing here is that FEZ has judder on any computer in the world because the framerate never reaches 60 fps.

Blizzard

Banned
Reading all the talk in here has settled it for me: I'll get this as soon as it's patched.
I think it already has been patched on Steam, maybe multiple times.

Unfortunately, since it's Steam, no one besides Valve ever updates the patch history anymore so you have to dig through forums or the like to figure out what actually changed.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I think you're not giving yourself enough credit here. Some of the stuff really is some next level shit. It's a matter of having it click at some point or having a eureka moment of sorts. You also need to have all the pieces to the puzzle, like with that hall of rooms section, to be able to see the greater picture and solve it. The game does give a lot of hints, but you actively need to explore and find them.

What I did was just go by all rooms that aren't golden yet and see if I can figure it out yet and move on until I'm only left with the ones that I can't. At that point there should be a thread between the type of things you can't solve yet and you can look for things that may clue you in on what you now know you need to understand to progress.

The game is a complete enigma at first, but as you go on and you're piecing its logic together through exploration at some point you just go HOLY CRAP I CAN SEE FOREVER and go back to all that stuff that was there for the taking until you knew how to look at it.
The problem is I already visited all those places, and couldn't solve them. I don't see how I will be able to despite now being on New Game+. And there are a couple of rooms that appear on the map, but I couldn't even find how to enter, so they are unexplored. I also haven't reached
the Gameboy room
, nor do I know why some people are taking written notes, unless it's
because of the secret alphabet

I don't know, seeing so many making so much progress while I'm stuck with only 5 stupid anti-cubes and 27 yellow cubes really brings me down.

HoosTrax

The problem is I already visited all those places, and couldn't solve them. I don't see how I will be able to despite now being on New Game+. And there are a couple of rooms that appear on the map, but I couldn't even find how to enter, so they are unexplored. I also haven't reached
the Gameboy room
, nor do I know why some people are taking written notes, unless it's
because of the secret alphabet

I don't know, seeing so many making so much progress while I'm stuck with only 5 stupid anti-cubes and 27 yellow cubes really brings me down.
The room you can't reach (and which you saw my screenshots for) isn't really a secret area though. That entire "themed" area is quite large and contains quite a few normal yellow cubes, so it wouldn't have make sense to have such a large number of yellow cubes "gated" behind a difficult to access area.

I think you're not looking hard enough to find the entrance. To be fair, the entrance is a bit unusual (but still in plain sight and not requiring unusual means to access).

Here's a fairly non-spoilerish clue on what the entrance looks like.

Sober

Is the last cube bit really well hidden behind a secret or something? There are a few rooms gated by a puzzle I can't get by but otherwise I'm sitting at 31 cubes and 7 bits.

Trying to figure out the crypt puzzle with the four treasure maps which is all I have left of those. Guessing I need to figure out
the alphabet to proceed? I think I've cleared all the tetromino ones now.

Are the artifacts (I'm missing one, I have the green, red and book) supposed to help aid with translation somehow? I can't seem to find a rosetta stone for numbers/letters or I'm clearly missing something right in front of me.

Ridley327

Is the last cube bit really well hidden behind a secret or something? There are a few rooms gated by a puzzle I can't get by but otherwise I'm sitting at 31 cubes and 7 bits.

Trying to figure out the crypt puzzle with the four treasure maps which is all I have left of those. Guessing I need to figure out
the alphabet to proceed? I think I've cleared all the tetromino ones now.

Are the artifacts (I'm missing one, I have the green, red and book) supposed to help aid with translation somehow? I can't seem to find a rosetta stone for numbers/letters or I'm clearly missing something right in front of me.

You may want to revisit the room where you got the Writing Cube for the "Rosetta stone" for the alphabet...

HoosTrax

Same here.

I also have the entire world explored except for some areas that I can't access, but while spinning around, I could have sworn I saw some things underwater, even though Gomez seemingly can't dive. Also, that one area with the the big waterfall seems to have a lot of secrets, and there's plainly a door behind the waterfall, but it can't be entered for some reason.

Blizzard

Banned
This is an early on question in the first few hours. What determines if you can open the doors with two staggered blocks on them, like this (* for padding)?

Code:
*[]
[]*

I think
it might have to do with how many cube bits I have in an area, but I'm almost certain that having more than 2 isn't enough. Do you need all 8?

Ridley327

This is an early on question in the first few hours. What determines if you can open the doors with two staggered blocks on them, like this (* for padding)?

Code:
*[]
[]*

I think
it might have to do with how many cube bits I have in an area, but I'm almost certain that having more than 2 isn't enough. Do you need all 8?

What determines being able to open those is finding the other door it leads to, as they're special warp doors.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Phils Fishs twitter said:
BJXGHiWCAAA3sop.jpg:large

lol. He is the Jim Morrison of gaming.

https://twitter.com/PHIL_FISH/status/330387980458000384

We love you, Phil! At least I think he's an interesting character in this industry! Did not mean to speak for all of you

Darkwater

I think it already has been patched on Steam, maybe multiple times.

Unfortunately, since it's Steam, no one besides Valve ever updates the patch history anymore so you have to dig through forums or the like to figure out what actually changed.

That's good to hear. So are all the technical issues done away with?

Sober

Go back to the waterfall and go in to the door on the very top of it, inside the small tree.
Found it but the slab with 4 different messages is racking my head.

Probably gonna try the numbers/counting one first but I'm looking at the room and I can't really deduce much
I assume the symbols correlate to the die, except they are flipped, so they have to have a different value to them depending on how they are aligned? Doesn't seem to be clear since two sides, one is a cross and one is empty, so orientation might not be the case?

I keep saying some weird 3 symbol equation = the square with a cross in it, not sure what it means right now. If it's numbers it doesn't seem to make much sense either.

There is that planetary model a room back, the planet and moon and star and the other thing all have what I assume are numbers written on them, but the planet (earthlike one) seems to have different ones on different faces, maybe the same with the sun when I looked at it.

I did go back to the classroom that had the counting artifact laid out flat, though I can't see the connection just yet

Not quite sure where to go from there just yet.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
As far as I know, the text on the purple slab has always been in the form of tetrominos; you having gotten the artifact didn't change that. To solve this you need to decode what is written on that purple slab. For this you need to have found the game's equivalent of a 'Rosetta stone'.
Just keep in mind that everything is in its place for a reason. If it doesn't seem to do anything, you just haven't figured it out yet. I think that's a good way to approach this game. Also, you may want to leave this for after you've gone through the 32 cube door. You don't necessarily need to have done that, but the game has a way of making you understand it better after that.
I guess I don't have a
translator yet because I can't read the strange wording yet. Also I haven't deciphered the Tetrominos either.

I did get 32 cubes and saw the ending. I started a New Game + from my game file and it started me out with all my collected cubes but no abilities until I did the tutorial again and regained the rotate ability as well as the first person mode. I guess I can keep playing this same game until I get all 64? What would have happened if I just picked New Game instead of + after seeing the credits? Would I have still started with the 32 I had?

First Person mode is weird. The view is fisheyed and the world stops when you enter it. Shame it can't keep running. Even if you can't move, it'd be nice if everyone else did.

Ridley327

Found it but the slab with 4 different messages is racking my head.

Probably gonna try the numbers/counting one first but I'm looking at the room and I can't really deduce much
I assume the symbols correlate to the die, except they are flipped, so they have to have a different value to them depending on how they are aligned? Doesn't seem to be clear since two sides, one is a cross and one is empty, so orientation might not be the case?

I keep saying some weird 3 symbol equation = the square with a cross in it, not sure what it means right now. If it's numbers it doesn't seem to make much sense either.

There is that planetary model a room back, the planet and moon and star and the other thing all have what I assume are numbers written on them, but the planet (earthlike one) seems to have different ones on different faces, maybe the same with the sun when I looked at it.

I did go back to the classroom that had the counting artifact laid out flat, though I can't see the connection just yet

Not quite sure where to go from there just yet.

Here's a few things I will point out that will help with the alphabet decryption:

-The Writing Cube is like that for a specific reason. I think you have an inkling of what it might mean, but see if you can find the connection between it and the markings on the column in that room, as well as other places with the language.

-I wasn't kidding about that room having the Rosetta stone, but there's something else about it that is just as important as the "stone" itself that will uncover the whole mystery.

You're definitely on the right track for the numbers, so I'll offer just one hint for them:
the Counting Cube does not go from 1-6 like a normal die.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I still haven't figured out one last secret in Fez's village. The one in the
boiler room with all the Tetris pieces on the walls.
What do I do in there? It's the only non-gold room in the village.
Does it change when I figure out how to translate them?

Ridley327

I still haven't figured out one last secret in Fez's village. The one in the
boiler room with all the Tetris pieces on the walls.
What do I do in there? It's the only non-gold room in the village.
Does it change when I figure out how to translate them?

Yes, but there's also another aspect of that room that you'll need to take into consideration.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yes, but there's also another aspect of that room that you'll need to take into consideration.
Another aspect? I'm looking and it seems to kind of be a key.
Each drawing seems to have a tetromino on it and a symbol. There's also a giant diagram of the big cube that exploded and what looks to be a skull with three eyes I believe I saw somewhere in the world. As well as a lot of other random sketches and a big "word" on one wall that has a symbol that the tetromino's don't have. (A 3x3 square with a hole in the center.)
Not exactly sure what aspect I'm supposed to look for. The only artifacts I have so far are
the book and the red cube.
Do I need others for this? I also haven't done anything in that area with
all the doors in a grid on four sides of a giant cube. But I do have treasure maps that do seem to signifyt I should go back there and actually do something.
So that's where I'm going next.

Ridley327

Another aspect? I'm looking and it seems to kind of be a key.
Each drawing seems to have a tetromino on it and a symbol. There's also a giant diagram of the big cube that exploded and what looks to be a skull with three eyes I believe I saw somewhere in the world. As well as a lot of other random sketches and a big "word" on one wall that has a symbol that the tetromino's don't have. (A 3x3 square with a hole in the center.)
Not exactly sure what aspect I'm supposed to look for. The only artifacts I have so far are
the book and the red cube.
Do I need others for this? I also haven't done anything in that area with
all the doors in a grid on four sides of a giant cube. But I do have treasure maps that do seem to signifyt I should go back there and actually do something.
So that's where I'm going next.

The symbol by the Tetrominos is what I'm referring to, as it has something to do with how to organize them.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The symbol by the Tetrominos is what I'm referring to, as it has something to do with how to organize them.
I am seeing that same "word", the one with the 3x3 square, the equal sign, the 3 and then 2 and then the 1, in this big room with
the giant cube and all the doors.
But the treasure maps are not helping me. Do I have to do something first? I am afraid I need to do something obscure first before anything I'm trying to do will actually happen. Am I missing an artifact? This game is wrinkling my brain.

M3z_

Have now collected all 32 regular cubes and 22 anti, also have 3 artifacts. I am starting to reach the point where I think I need another breakthrough in understanding to advance. I will try changing my resolution to fix my map.

MaLDo

if this don't break the game we got another humiliated developer, a customer in just one day fixing what the dev couldn't in months.

edit: wait, the "fix" bumped CPU usage from 7% to 75%... hope we get a fix for the fix! lol

Are you using Vsync on right? Otherwise the game will run too fast and your cpu will be stressed.

Ridley327

I am seeing that same "word", the one with the 3x3 square, the equal sign, the 3 and then 2 and then the 1, in this big room with
the giant cube and all the doors.
But the treasure maps are not helping me. Do I have to do something first? I am afraid I need to do something obscure first before anything I'm trying to do will actually happen. Am I missing an artifact? This game is wrinkling my brain.

You do have to translate an aspect of the game's language to make sense of it. In this case, it's not letters you need to figure out...

Now that I've figured out the alphabet and directions
thanks to IGN
I'm getting the hang of this. I'm currently stuck in the big throne room.
I can see while flipping the directions on the wall. I thought it's RT 3x and LT 5x but it doesn't do anything.

Ridley327

Now that I've figured out the alphabet and directions
thanks to IGN
I'm getting the hang of this. I'm currently stuck in the big throne room.
I can see while flipping the directions on the wall. I thought it's RT 3x and LT 5x but it doesn't do anything.

Here's what I'll say about that one:

There's another throne room, with a similar set of symbols, that will help you solve the puzzle for both rooms...

M3z_

Anyone have a hint or direction to point me in in regards to the little totem things that kind of look like light house's, sometimes they are purple sometimes they are light green. Can't seem to find anything that might relate to those things.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You do have to translate an aspect of the game's language to make sense of it. In this case, it's not letters you need to figure out...
Numbers!? So what is that 8,3,3,3,2,1 or something? (I already exited the game so I probably got that wrong.) I uh, don't get how that's helpful?
Though I have found a few treasures thanks to the maps.
A couple where I had to make leaps of faith to find invisible floors.
But I still don't know what to do with the four maps that seem to belong to
that big room with the cube and all the doors. I tried going in the doors marked on the maps and then just random doors but nothing ever happens except I teleport to another door.

Ridley327

Anyone have a hint or direction to point me in in regards to the little totem things that kind of look like light house's, sometimes they are purple sometimes they are light green. Can't seem to find anything that might relate to those things.

The purple ones require translation of one set of the symbols you see laying about. Don't worry about the other ones until NG+, but they do operate under the same principle.

M3z_

The purple ones require translation of one set of the symbols you see laying about. Don't worry about the other ones until NG+, but they do operate under the same principle.

I figured out the tetrimino stuff, the other symbols I have not figured out yet. I am already in NG+, I am only missing 10 anti-cubes to complete the game.

Maybe a hint about which world/section I should be scraping for ideas on how to translate the other symbols.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just buy the damn game. Who cares what the creator does. Notch did some stupid shit a few times too and people still buy Minecraft. Don't let the actions of the designers determine whether you want to have fun with a game or not. The game is amazing.

Ridley327

I figured out the tetrimino stuff, the other symbols I have not figured out yet. I am already in NG+, I am only missing 10 anti-cubes to complete the game.

Maybe a hint about which world/section I should be scraping for ideas on how to translate the other symbols.

Oh, OK, I can be more specific then:

-Purple totems do require the translation of the tetriminos, but there's a little bit more work required to get those codes to work. Look very carefully at the orientation of the tetriminos on the larger blocks, and you should be able to work out the correct combination to input.

-The white totems work much the same way, but they don't have the larger blocks giving away to translate from. The combination is somewhere nearby them, so use all of your resources to see where they're at *HINT* *HINT*

Top Bottom