• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FEZ | Spreadsheet Version OT |

Ce-Lin

Are you using Vsync on right? Otherwise the game will run too fast and your cpu will be stressed.

forced v-sync through Nvdia Control Panel, the game runs at v-sync'd 60 fps no more hitching but my 3570K goes to full force mode lol, I guess this unofficial fix won't be kind to those with old CPUs... then again it could be my 320.00 beta drivers not doing the job properly with Fez, anyway this is promising.

HoosTrax

Just a heads up - there's a bug involving the "Owl" puzzle room. I ended up with a corrupted save file as a result, so you may want to hold off on finishing that puzzle until it's patched (Renaud seems to be aware of it).

MrOddbird

Neo Member
So I just finished the game (now starting New Game+) and I have to say, for all the hatred Phil pours out to his Twitter account, I think it's understandable now that I've truly experienced the game (and seen some incredibly complexity in some of the puzzles).

The team spent five years making the game, made their own tools and constantly.
As a developer myself (well quite amateurish), I can see how much effort went into the game.

A single scene/screen in the game, might've been a production of weeks worth hard work. To think that five years were put into this project is just mindblowing.

Certainly the guy could just ignore every insult directed at him, but I think that after playing his team's game I can sort of jump into his shoes.

It's a great game, even if the persons behind the product aren't what we would expect them to be.

ta9qi

I have until now
7 giant cubes
21 normal cubes
6 unti cubes
87.9% , didnt use any faqs..so challenging,but theres some small rooms that really pissed me of
the room with the million doors in the 4 dimensions :(
also the rooms that have a large sea, i dont know what to do there

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I just finished the game (now starting New Game+) and I have to say, for all the hatred Phil pours out to his Twitter account, I think it's understandable now that I've truly experienced the game (and seen some incredibly complexity in some of the puzzles).

The team spent five years making the game, made their own tools and constantly.
As a developer myself (well quite amateurish), I can see how much effort went into the game.

A single scene/screen in the game, might've been a production of weeks worth hard work. To think that five years were put into this project is just mindblowing.

Certainly the guy could just ignore every insult directed at him, but I think that after playing his team's game I can sort of jump into his shoes.

It's a great game, even if the persons behind the product aren't what we would expect them to be.
Agreed. I am also making a game. I'm not great and have never finished anything, but I hope to one day have a game even remotely as good as this. You can tell how much detail and attention and love and care was put into it. And even in the 5 years he was making it he had people constantly hounding him "IS THE GAME DONE YET? STOP FUCKING AROUND AND FINISH THE DAMN GAME!" It was sickening. Games don't just appear out of thin air. They take time. And it's very understandable how Fish has reacted. I'd probably react the same way too if pushed.

Fake edit: LOL, I typed this a few hours ago and forgot to finish it. Now I forgot what I was going to say.

so challenging,but theres some small rooms that really pissed me of
the room with the million doors in the 4 dimensions :(
also the rooms that have a large sea, i dont know what to do there
Yeah. I still don't get what to do. Especially in the million door room. And I even have treasure maps for it.

M3z_

Oh, OK, I can be more specific then:

-Purple totems do require the translation of the tetriminos, but there's a little bit more work required to get those codes to work. Look very carefully at the orientation of the tetriminos on the larger blocks, and you should be able to work out the correct combination to input.

-The white totems work much the same way, but they don't have the larger blocks giving away to translate from. The combination is somewhere nearby them, so use all of your resources to see where they're at *HINT* *HINT*

I don't think you are talking about ones I'm talking about. I already understand the

purple totems that are actually tetriminoes connected to each other in a vertical orientation. I picked that up from a chalkboard in one of the classrooms. I'm talking about the smaller totems that look like a lighthouse, they have a hollowed out square with a smaller square floating in the middle at the top of them.

Also

I found one area with one of the larger purple totems with the terminoes on it next to one of the smaller lighthouse ones and I looked on the ground in first person mode and saw that there was another tetrimino code written on the floor but not matter how I translate it I can't get it to unlock something. I know you write the code top to bottom then shift 90 degrees to the left to translate, but no matter what side I decide as the top when I translate the code it does nothing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Now that I've figured out the alphabet and directions
thanks to IGN
I'm getting the hang of this. I'm currently stuck in the big throne room.
I can see while flipping the directions on the wall. I thought it's RT 3x and LT 5x but it doesn't do anything.
Finally got the red artifact. But don't know what do do with it yet. But now I am also curious about this throne room too.
I also learned the trick in that room where you change the symbol by hitting directions and buttons and unlocked the blue cube in there. But the same trick won't work in the throne room for some reason. I tried RRRLLLLL and LLLRRRRR just for good measure. Even added Up in case the top of the throne symbol meant anything. But no luck. I found the second throne room with the red curtains and decorations and different pattern. No luck at all.

ta9qi

Completed the game with 115.6% , the ending is......no words can describe it @@
Yeah. I still don't get what to do. Especially in the million door room. And I even have treasure maps for it.
i gave up there, theres some puzzles made me cant even think to try solving it..still managed to complete the game with more cubes than requested

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Completed the game with 115.6% , the ending is......no words can describe it @@

i gave up there, theres some puzzles made me cant even think to try solving it..still managed to complete the game with more cubes than requested
There are 4 treasure maps that apply to this room. One for each side. But they have symbols on them that refer to numbers I assume so I guess you need to enter the doors in the numerical order? I dunno because I haven't figured out the numbers yet. Though I do have the red artifact, I don't know how to use it or the blue one.

I'm at a loss for the cryptid numbers room (the one that looks like a lab) at the very beginning area. Plus the room with a phone scanning symbol - I tried it and my phone wouldn't recognize it. And then the two rooms with interlocking Teris pieces to make a square (but they aren't numbers). But hey, I'm finding anticubes and I found a key already.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm at a loss for the cryptid numbers room (the one that looks like a lab) at the very beginning area. Plus the room with a phone scanning symbol - I tried it and my phone wouldn't recognize it. And then the two rooms with interlocking Teris pieces to make a square (but they aren't numbers). But hey, I'm finding anticubes and I found a key already.
The QR codes never scan for me. I found a treasure map with a code on it and can't interpret it because of this. Can anyone help tell me what it means? It's a treasure map with the code on the back side. I don't know what it means and nothing I do makes my phone recognize it.

Ridley327

I don't think you are talking about ones I'm talking about. I already understand the

purple totems that are actually tetriminoes connected to each other in a vertical orientation. I picked that up from a chalkboard in one of the classrooms. I'm talking about the smaller totems that look like a lighthouse, they have a hollowed out square with a smaller square floating in the middle at the top of them.

Also

I found one area with one of the larger purple totems with the terminoes on it next to one of the smaller lighthouse ones and I looked on the ground in first person mode and saw that there was another tetrimino code written on the floor but not matter how I translate it I can't get it to unlock something. I know you write the code top to bottom then shift 90 degrees to the left to translate, but no matter what side I decide as the top when I translate the code it does nothing.

The codes you find in first person will only work on the white totems; purple totems require the code you find on the large slabs nearby.

Salsa

ibx0lTJ9UbbEhy.png
i6ITVtI8dRW6X.png
iPofxb9vEnhdq.png
ikJuTg09DVm1b.png
ibiOVuG90qROqN.png
iuS7Dznrg82G6.png
iPofxb9vEnhdq.png

iMdti4xJzXPR1.png
ikJuTg09DVm1b.png

i6rzCnaWHqoBs.png
ibx0lTJ9UbbEhy.png
iuS7Dznrg82G6.png
iPofxb9vEnhdq.png

:)

justjim89

What does "cracking the code" in the achievements actually refer to? The alphabet? The numbers? The bell? I've seen some folks get it before NG+.

Arozay

Well after beating the game, I found the puzzles easier than La Mulana but still annoyed by some of the game design. It would be interesting if there was a game mode that cut out the bullshit in regards to having to translate stuff, or at least give some sort of ingame legend (as opposed to the artifacts) instead of pretending it won't be google'd, since it's easily the worst aspect of the game. Gonna go back and see how much of the leftover stuff I can solve before cracking.

M3z_

The codes you find in first person will only work on the white totems; purple totems require the code you find on the large slabs nearby.

Yeah thanks for the heads up. Beat the game! I was able to get to something like 26 or so 28 anti cubes before I looked stuff up.
I couldn't figure out the numbers or letters on my own so I had to look that up, and the clock puzzle I didn't understand only got the red one legitimately. The clock puzzle seemed kind of dumb, because it's just related to some random time of day, it's not even the top of the hour or anything defined. My game it happened to be at 42 minutes into the hour that things clicked. Also Megatron and Black Monolith I had to look up. 56-58 cubes on my own is pretty respectable in my book. I don't think I would of ever recognized the answer to the ones I looked up naturally.

Game was terrific though.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah thanks for the heads up. Beat the game! I was able to get to something like 26 or so 28 anti cubes before I looked stuff up.
I couldn't figure out the numbers or letters on my own so I had to look that up, and the clock puzzle I didn't understand only got the red one legitimately. The clock puzzle seemed kind of dumb, because it's just related to some random time of day, it's not even the top of the hour or anything defined. My game it happened to be at 42 minutes into the hour that things clicked. Also Megatron and Black Monolith I had to look up. 56-58 cubes on my own is pretty respectable in my book. I don't think I would of ever recognized the answer to the ones I looked up naturally.

Game was terrific though.
Can you explain the
Clock puzzle
to me without spoiling anything? I'm still at a loss with that one.

As well as the room with all the doors. I really don't know how to read the maps for that one. Even though I
have the red artifact

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ha. I just found the
GameBoy style Warp Zone. Pretty neat. Especially how I instinctively pushed down at the top of the green pipe looking structure.

Salsa

Well after beating the game, I found the puzzles easier than La Mulana but still annoyed by some of the game design. It would be interesting if there was a game mode that cut out the bullshit in regards to having to translate stuff, or at least give some sort of ingame legend (as opposed to the artifacts) instead of pretending it won't be google'd, since it's easily the worst aspect of the game. Gonna go back and see how much of the leftover stuff I can solve before cracking.

wut

maybe the game just wasnt what you hoped it was but the level of satisfaction you get when cracking that stuff yourself is the game at it's absolute best

you dont need to google anything, EVERYTHING's inside the game and achievable without any sort of help. I already deciphered both things and it took me 15 hours of gameplay or so to figure it out

googling that stuff is cheating yourself out of the best aspect the game has to offer. There's not much appeal there other than the art style if you take that away, it's all about figuring it out, that's the whole game. If it's the worst aspect from you then you dont like the game much I guess?

it's not bad game design, it's actually brilliant. It's just that it's a different game. I can see how this could bother someone who frustrates easily or doesnt have patience, but it's not the game's fault. It's very direct on what it sets out to do.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
100%d the game
which is 209%+ in game terms.
There were only a handful of puzzles I thought were difficult. I had to look up
the 8 letter name to spell with blocks, the second solution to the candle/first-person Polytron floor room and how to shatter the heart. Kind of a shame the latter two don't seem to have answers in game anywhere. :(
If anyone who did everything tells you they looked up nothing I'd call bullshit.

Overall wasn't as hard as people were making it out to be once you decipher the fundamentals, just the easter egg stuff really. Amazing, beautiful game. Never played anything like it. Ended at 109 in the leaderboards with kami-sama right behind me with the same score and Salsa right behind that.

you dont need to google anything, EVERYTHING's inside the game and achievable without any sort of help

Not true.
The last heart piece in the candle/Polytron floor/monolith room (second solution) had to be unlocked with inside info and brute forced and the heart shattering was found in the game code. The 8 letter spelling puzzle can be figured out but it's hard as shit, I had to look it up; due to the unusual way the letters have to face as well I think anyone who figures it out is a genius.

Arozay

wut

maybe the game just wasnt what you hoped it was but the level of satisfaction you get when cracking that stuff yourself is the game at it's absolute best

you dont need to google anything, EVERYTHING's inside the game and achievable without any sort of help. I already deciphered both things and it took me 15 hours of gameplay or so to figure it out

Oh I enjoyed the game, but I thought it's biggest strength was navigating the world. Just saying that's the least enjoyable aspect of the game.

Salsa

Oh I enjoyed the game, but I thought it's biggest strength was navigating the world. Just saying that's the least enjoyable aspect of the game.

oh, yeah. Not being able to just quick jump anywhere (if that's what you mean) can be somewhat annoying I guess

by finishing the game you mean going through New Game+ as well right?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Whoa. And now I just found the
Virtual Boy red area of the sewers. Wow.

I have to admit though that I Googled for a hint on what to do with the two
throne
rooms. I mean I don't know how obvious it is. I would never have figured out
you had to put both codes next to each other then read them out interlaced together in order to unlock the secret. I didn't even know you had to rotate the directional Tetrominos to read them left to right. I was wondering why I couldn't figure out how to make a vertical Z block until I accidentally read a spoiler here explaining to rotate them. Is this explained explicitly in the game or do you have to guess?

Arozay

oh, yeah. Not being able to just quick jump anywhere (if that's what you mean) can be somewhat annoying I guess

by finishing the game you mean going through New Game+ as well right?

I was talking about beating it initially. I had around 50 cube and was missing 1 artifact when starting NG+

xelios

Is this explained explicitly in the game or do you have to guess?

The tetrominos is in the game on a chalkboard in the 16 block door city. How to decipher the columns of them is laid out clearly in three steps, including turning it to its side.

Arozay

I was wondering why I couldn't figure out how to make a vertical Z block until I accidentally read a spoiler here explaining to rotate them. Is this explained explicitly in the game or do you have to guess?

There's a room with a stone which lights up and mimics your inputs, which pretty much explains the system.

xelios

Wait, you can (end game spoiler)
"shatter the heart"
? What does this mean? Does anyone have video?

It's something found in the code, but no answer ever found in the game much like the last heart piece solution. It involves inserting codes while looking at the letter and number artifacts. Doesn't do anything besides add % and a faux reboot.

There's a room with a stone which lights up and mimics your inputs, which pretty much explains the system.

That's where I learned as well, but the step of
turning the columns to the side wasn't clear to me until I saw the chalkboard

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well my status report so far for what it's worth:

ibytC5m2sWf6yO.png

Still on my first playthrough. Have managed to avoid looking up anything so far. I think I've got the tetronimo's licked and I *think* I've figured out the numbering system. The 3rd code with all the crazy shaped tetronimo pieces still eludes me.

Game is great though, it's like a 2D Myst.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
See below...
That's where I learned as well, but the step of
turning the columns to the side wasn't clear to me until I saw the chalkboard
This. I found that room which taught me that the
shapes were connected to inputs, but did not know to turn it sideways until I accidentally read a spoiler. Probably would have figured it out when I found the chalkboard eventually.

Game is great though, it's like a 2D Myst.
OMG I was just thinking that earlier but didn't think anyone else felt the same.

Also, god damn that stupid
rising lava area.
Took me a dozen tries to get through the next to last section.

Sloane

Banned
I don't really get the game. I'm "only" at about 50% or something but so far I have seen nothing that a bunch of other games (Crushed, Antimatter, that PSP games whose names I can't remember) haven't done before. Most of the time it's just a matter of turning the view a couple of times until you find the next platform to jump to. Guess getting the Anti-Cubes will be a bit harder but the only thing that's really difficult so far is navigating the fucking map. I don't know.

It's not a "bad" game obviously but considering all the hype this got, I expected something more along the lines of Braid.

Salsa

I don't really get the game. I'm "only" at about 50% or something but so far I have seen nothing that a bunch of other games (Crushed, Antimatter, that PSP games whose names I can't remember) haven't done before. Most of the time it's just a matter of turning the view a couple of times until you find the next platform to jump to. Guess getting the Anti-Cubes will be a bit harder but the only thing that's really difficult so far is navigating the fucking map. I don't know.

It's not a "bad" game obviously but considering all the hype this got, I expected something more along the lines of Braid.

you havent discovered what the game actually is yet. Keep playing.

Sober

I am definitely going to write out the cypher by hand but I just read how the rosetta stone works for the alphabet and I am punching myself for not noticing that.

The numbers one I think I'm way overthinking though. Not that I can conjure up some complicated math or something but staring at the 4 walls of that classroom isn't doing anything.

Salsa

iBUIT5D2dzPQB.PNG

so worth not looking shit up. Game's amazing.

The numbers one I think I'm way overthinking though. Not that I can conjure up some complicated math or something but staring at the 4 walls of that classroom isn't doing anything.

not spoiling it, just "help":

draw the forms you see and try to start thinking from the most basic. Also think about the positioning of them. If they look like they're turned and whatnot, because they're not. Every square is always facing the right way.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Okay. I thought the
GameBoy (Green) and Virtual Boy (Red) areas were neat. Now we have the NES (I guess. It's blue and pink) area. Wow. This game keeps surprising me.

I have one cube piece and 19
Anti Cubes
left.

Sober

iBUIT5D2dzPQB.PNG

so worth not looking shit up. Game's amazing.

not spoiling it, just "help":

draw the forms you see and try to start thinking from the most basic. Also think about the positioning of them. If they look like they're turned and whatnot, because they're not. Every square is always facing the right way.

I'm looking at this and I'm assuming that is the most basic? I don't know what you mean about the rotation of the symbol not mattering if I look at other ones and they are written out of order. And if the case is that orientation doesn't matter, why does one face = another face but different values?

Whereas I'm looking at the other wall with the three 'equations' and it implies that orientation doesn't matter if it's X+X+Y=Z but X and Y are orientated differently.

justjim89

I have never felt so god damn stupid playing a game in my life. This is borderline infuriating. Just wandered around for 2 hours in NG+ picking up a few cubes and anti cubes. Currently sitting at 28 cubes and 9 anti cubes, plus the skull and writing cube artifacts. It's just maddening seeing all the background shit and little hints of something deeper and having no ability to make sens of any of it.

Can't figure out the following:
-The alphabet
-The tetris blocks
-The bell symbols
-The numbers (and not sure if they're different from the alphabet)
-The totems. I see the white symbols on the floor in 1st person that are always by them. I know they resemble the thing on the golden door in the waterfall area.
-The owls.
-The block puzzle room with 6 blocks and a bunch of fucking patterns on a totem. One of the blocks at one point disappeared on me!
-The gallery/library? area in the ruined sky city with the paintings of different game areas, a bookshelf, and a fireplace.
-The clock puzzle. Just stopped there and got the cube and 1 anti-cube on the red side. I don't get the rest.

Any hints/suggestions/pushes in the right direction? I feel so dumb playing this, and I know if I just keep plodding around banging my head against shit, I'll never figure it out and i'll just stop playing. Am I supposed to decipher everything by hand like some codemaster? How do you even interface with half of this shit?

Ugh, I get so flustered and irritable when I get confused like this.

xelios

I'm looking at this and I'm assuming that is the most basic? I don't know what you mean about the rotation of the symbol not mattering if I look at other ones and they are written out of order. And if the case is that orientation doesn't matter, why does one face = another face but different values?

Whereas I'm looking at the other wall with the three 'equations' and it implies that orientation doesn't matter if it's X+X+Y=Z but X and Y are orientated differently.

It is the most basic. Tips to help you figure out numbers:
Look at the top row for numbers. The first box in your pic has nothing in it, while the other three are clearly higher numbers. Naturally they could be in order and increasing; the bottom row seems to represent dimensions that correspond with the numbers.

Now see the figures as if they were a clock. Perhaps each radius stroke from the center outward in a particular cardinal direction has a number value associated with it? If so it would follow that some numbers could have more than one representation as well.
It's really that simple. Once you figure out what I mean you'll be able to form all the numbers.

Superflat

Just started the game today and only an hour or two in. This game is sex to my eyes and ears; reminding me a lot of Sword & Sworcery with the contrast of simple pixel art and deep sound work.

So many spoiler bars! I find myself pretty fortunate for not having been spoiled at all :D

I'll check in again later, just wanted to put in my initial impressions.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
I love this game so much, real glad I've avoided spoilers for a year. Total bummer dat it crashes to desktop so often though...

Salsa

I have never felt so god damn stupid playing a game in my life. This is borderline infuriating. Just wandered around for 2 hours in NG+ picking up a few cubes and anti cubes. Currently sitting at 28 cubes and 9 anti cubes, plus the skull and writing cube artifacts. It's just maddening seeing all the background shit and little hints of something deeper and having no ability to make sens of any of it.

Can't figure out the following:
-The alphabet
-The tetris blocks
-The bell symbols
-The numbers (and not sure if they're different from the alphabet)
-The totems. I see the white symbols on the floor in 1st person that are always by them. I know they resemble the thing on the golden door in the waterfall area.
-The owls.
-The block puzzle room with 6 blocks and a bunch of fucking patterns on a totem. One of the blocks at one point disappeared on me!
-The gallery/library? area in the ruined sky city with the paintings of different game areas, a bookshelf, and a fireplace.
-The clock puzzle. Just stopped there and got the cube and 1 anti-cube on the red side. I don't get the rest.

Any hints/suggestions/pushes in the right direction? I feel so dumb playing this, and I know if I just keep plodding around banging my head against shit, I'll never figure it out and i'll just stop playing. Am I supposed to decipher everything by hand like some codemaster? How do you even interface with half of this shit?

Ugh, I get so flustered and irritable when I get confused like this.

did you go to the room with the stone that forms tetris blocks depending on the way you move? go there again, you'll figure it out

justjim89

did you go to the room with the stone that forms tetris blocks depending on the way you move? go there again, you'll figure it out

The one close to the beginning where you can get an anti-cube by making Tetris symbols from all 4 angles? I'm not sure I understand where you mean. What is it by?

I love this game so much, real glad I've avoided spoilers for a year. Total bummer dat it crashes to desktop so often though...

Reading all the talk in here has settled it for me: I'll get this as soon as it's patched.

You can test this workaround to avoid judder in FEZ

http://maldotex.blogspot.com.es/2013/05/smoother-fez.html

Holy shit.

This fixed my game!

The game was constantly crashing on one of the anti-cube block puzzles, and applying the DLL did the trick. Thanks, MaLDo!

Game runs perfectly smooth. Win7 64, i5 CPU, 660ti.

(I haven't tried the fix posted on the steam forums, nor the official patches yet.)

Salsa

The one close to the beginning where you can get an anti-cube by making Tetris symbols from all 4 angles? I'm not sure I understand where you mean. What is it by?

think about it, each one of your movements generates a different tetris piece in that room, will it work in other rooms..?

xelios

think about it, each one of your movements generates a different tetris piece in that room, will it work in other rooms..?

I believe he's talking about the room where you move blocks. He might not have been to the room with the
pillar with flashing lights based on movement yet

Top Bottom