• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FEZ | Spreadsheet Version OT |

justjim89

think about it, each one of your movements generates a different tetris piece in that room, will it work in other rooms..?

Not to my knowledge, yet. All instances I've seen of them have been as static patterns on walls. I either see the walls they're on or I don't. I haven't seen any other instance of tetris blocks made of actual blocks.

Thank you for the hint, though. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

Stoze

Oh man, this game is fantastic, played it quite a lot today. I'm at 31 and 5/8 yellow cubes, and 16 anti-cubes. Can anyone tell me without spoiling anything, should I try and get all the cubes I can before going to beat the game (does it matter), or can I just get the stuff I missed on new game+? I kinda wanna just head through the 32-cube door, but I'm on a roll with getting these anti-cubes.

Also, my favorite levels so far:
The blue/pink 8-bit place where the platforms move to the music, and the running away from the lava level.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I need all the map pieces for the room with all those doors, right? So far I have only three maps. And I can't figure out what to do with that owl yet. I guess I need to find something first there too, right?

Ridley327

ibx0lTJ9UbbEhy.png
i6ITVtI8dRW6X.png
iPofxb9vEnhdq.png
ikJuTg09DVm1b.png
ibiOVuG90qROqN.png
iuS7Dznrg82G6.png
iPofxb9vEnhdq.png

iMdti4xJzXPR1.png
ikJuTg09DVm1b.png

i6rzCnaWHqoBs.png
ibx0lTJ9UbbEhy.png
iuS7Dznrg82G6.png
iPofxb9vEnhdq.png

:)

Funny enough, I had my handwritten translation guide next to me, but because I wound up doing so much translating this time, I could read the first word just fine without it.

Funniest thing to translate:
the SOS message

Pyccko

Sweet, all done. 13 hours, pretty proud that I only had to look up 4 things:
Monolith, Metatron, door that glows at night, the numbers system
Overall, probably one of my favorites in a long time. Very satisfying, but I wish it was even longer. I'm gonna treasure the notebook page with all my translations and junk on it, haha.

Ce-Lin

just played after the game auto-updated to build 1.04 (3 patches in 3 days)... according to patch notes "- Added experimental CLI flag for variable timestep (--variable-time-step), may break game physics, try at your own risk!" ok, put that in launch options and didn't fix anything, hitching is actually worse than 1.03, removed the command line and hitching was still there in full force...

what I find arousing is the fact the CPU usage has bumped from 7% in 1.03 to 60-70% in 1.04 running stock 3570K... tha game taxes every core now for no reason since the hitching is still there and even worse than ever... the only way to get rid of it is by using the fan-made altered dll that also bumps CPU usage but actually fixes the hitching resulting in smoother gameplay, man, when FEZ' CPU usage is higher than that of Crysis 3 something is being done poorly, awesome game, terrible programmer.

flowsnake

just played after the game auto-updated to build 1.04 (3 patches in 3 days)... according to patch notes "- Added experimental CLI flag for variable timestep (--variable-time-step), may break game physics, try at your own risk!" ok, put that in launch options and didn't fix anything, hitching is actually worse than 1.03, removed the command line and hitching was still there in full force...

what I find arousing is the fact the CPU usage has bumped from 7% in 1.03 to 60-70% in 1.04 running stock 3570K... tha game taxes every core now for no reason since the hitching is still there and even worse than ever... the only way to get rid of it is by using the fan-made altered dll that also bumps CPU usage but actually fixes the hitching resulting in smoother gameplay, man, when FEZ' CPU usage is higher than that of Crysis 3 something is being done poorly, awesome game, terrible programmer.

For some reason the game always had high CPU usage for me on a 2500k. Usually when this kind of thing happens it's because of an unlimited framerate, but obviously not here. :/ At least my CPU doesn't overheat like it used to, or I wouldn't really be able to play Fez at all.

Ce-Lin

For some reason the game always had high CPU usage for me on a 2500k. Usually when this kind of thing happens it's because of an unlimited framerate, but obviously not here. :/ At least my CPU doesn't overheat like it used to, or I wouldn't really be able to play Fez at all.

that's weird, I had 7-10% CPU usage and less apparent hitching until update 1.04 was deployed, now I have 70% CPU usage (3570K stock + 7950 Boost 3 GB stock) and annoying framerate judder, if anyone knows how to revert back to 1.03 please be so kind. Tried to force v-sync to no avail, I'll try to change CPU cores affinity and make it only 1-2 cores... edit: just tried it, anything less than 2 cores with build 1.04 causes unbearable stutter... what have this guy done...

just uninstalled the game and re-installed without "automatic updating" hope it gives me back at least 1.01 with less hitching and 7% usage.

edit: no dice, Steam automatically downloads FEZ 1.04 build even with updating disabled... ok I'm done with PC version until it gets fixed without silly CPU usage, I finished it on 360 anyway, waste of money but ok, I did learn.

Amir0x

Banned
Okay where do I get a cypher/how do I translate the gibberish?

which gibberish? There is multiple codes in this game iirc...
one for numbers, one for words, and one for button inputs...

However, the big one I think you're trying to figure out:
if you want the one for words, there is something that gives it away at some point: a visual cue that has to do with two animals you'll find on your travels. You'll be able to apply that clue to the "gibberish" and then figure out the code.

Darkwater

Holy shit.

This fixed my game!

The game was constantly crashing on one of the anti-cube block puzzles, and applying the DLL did the trick. Thanks, MaLDo!

Game runs perfectly smooth. Win7 64, i5 CPU, 660ti.

(I haven't tried the fix posted on the steam forums, nor the official patches yet.)

Hmm, now I'm reading that this makes Cpu usage shoot up. Anything definitive yet?

gdt

which gibberish? There is multiple codes in this game iirc...
one for numbers, one for words, and one for button inputs...

However, the big one I think you're trying to figure out:
if you want the one for words, there is something that gives it away at some point: a visual cue that has to do with two animals you'll find on your travels. You'll be able to apply that clue to the "gibberish" and then figure out the code.

Ahh ok I don't think I've run into that yet. Hopefully its obvious so I don't just pass it by.

Amir0x

Banned
Ahh ok I don't think I've run into that yet. Hopefully its obvious so I don't just pass it by.

I would say it is fairly easy to pass by.
The animals are just as 'obvious' as the rest of the random animals you find in your play (which is to say, they're easy to overlook since most of the time they do nothing of import), but these two animals are doing something very specific that no other animals in the game are doing. That's how you'll know it is the right one. Once you see what they're doing, you'll be able to figure it out. Trying to give you clues without spoiling the answer because figuring it out is part of the fun I think...

It's not that obvious, especially if you're not a native English speaker.

Highlight if you're completely stuck:

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

Try to fit that phrase into the column nearby.

Honestly, I'd bite the bullet and download the alphabet from a wiki somewhere. I just don't have the time or patience to transcribe all of that by hand. There's a number and 'code' system that you may or may not want to figure out, depending on how masochistic you are.

DO NOT SPOIL yourself on any other part of the game, though. The puzzles are incredibly rewarding.

Hmm, now I'm reading that this makes Cpu usage shoot up. Anything definitive yet?

Yes, the strain on the CPU is higher, but the game has been running flawlessly with no crashes.

What's wrong with 70% CPU usage? Is my computer going to melt?

Ce-Lin

What's wrong with 70% CPU usage? Is my computer
going to melt?

obviously not, but seems so silly for a light-weight game such FEZ to be so CPU hungry when upgraded to 1.04, 1.03 reached 7% usage, also the official fix included in 1.04 doesn't work, you need to use Maldo' fix, interesting enough both 1.04 and Maldo dll shoot CPU usage by the same margin, I guess devs used the same dll but somehow wasted it, Maldo's works awesome, almost constant 60 fps with unnoticeable hitching.

yarden24

playing FEZ and having loads of fun so far!

so i just got to the room that obviously has lots to do with the treasure maps! and i was wondering,
do you need all the treasure maps so that you go to the places they are highlighting one by one to get the treasure?

Ridley327

playing FEZ and having loads of fun so far!

so i just got to the room that obviously has lots to do with the treasure maps! and i was wondering,
do you need all the treasure maps so that you go to the places they are highlighting one by one to get the treasure?

Technically, you wouldn't need any of them, but you run into the issue of that puzzle requiring you to enter four specific doors in order there, and there are a lot of doors there to try and brute force it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Technically, you wouldn't need any of them, but you run into the issue of that puzzle requiring you to enter four specific doors in order there, and there are a lot of doors there to try and brute force it.

So I'll need to find
4 maps? I have three atm

yarden24

oh only 4? i assumed you need all 9 maps, where i only have 3, also, how do you actully use warp gates? i dont quite get that

edit: nevermind! i got it, was looking at the wrong 2d plane =)

Ridley327

oh only 4? i assumed you need all 9 maps, where i only have 3, also, how do you actully use warp gates? i dont quite get that
It's not that crazy of a puzzle :p

It's a good thing, too, since the other maps have their own mysteries to offer...

The big warp gates are; just come across the central hub in each zone, and you'll be connected to the others you've come by.

justjim89

Holy shit!

Just found the room that explains the Tetris pieces! That was great! I feel like even if I hadn't gotten hinted towards it, I'd have realized what it meant. So I don't really feel cheated.

But immediately after figuring that out, I happen upon a whole new mystery in the rooms with the telescopes and the similar rooms with Earth and the Solar systems. No idea what to do there. The telescope just looks at blank sky in all 4 directions.

And btw, do the artifacts only make sense when you have all 4? I just found the counting one and don't understand any better than I do the writing or skull artifacts. Does it make sense when you find all 4?

Currently sitting at 30 cubes, 10 anti-cubes. Feeling good.

daxy

I'm on 32 anti-cubes now, but I'm pretty sure I should be able to get two more.
I think I can get two more at the clock tower, I've only gotten the anti-cubes from the red and blue hands
. What the what?
There are also other rooms still marked unsolved so that's odd, but I wouldn't be surprised if those are the kind of collectible that doesn't appear in your inventory.

Also, kinda lame that for the Sum Total achievement you don't actually need to have found everything, only everything shown in your inventory.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Alright I think I've got the alphabet figured out, someone else who's got it wanna verify?

ibaoVxp3OKIkkA.png

HOLES BLACK FOR OUT WATCH

Of course I spend time translating this stuff and it's all gibberish so I have no idea if I have it right or not.

TheYanger

Alright I think I've got the alphabet figured out, someone else who's got it wanna verify?

ibaoVxp3OKIkkA.png

Of course I spend time translating this stuff and it's all gibberish so I have no idea if I have it right or not.

You're reading it backwards but yeah that's right.

Salsa

ibaoVxp3OKIkkA.png

yup

you should know youre right tho, unless you somehow bypassed the correct way to get it?

in also surprised at how I can just read it like regular text now without my notes

Haunted

Thoughts about the code solutions:

I think it's kinda weird that a bi-lingual speaker like Fish made a hint that only works in English. Maybe he thought that it was too clever to leave out - and it is damn fucking clever! - or too complicated to translate into other languages. (For example, the most widely used German pangram is "Franz jagt im komplett verwahrlosten Taxi quer durch Bayern" :D

I think the Alphabet is great, the tetromino code is also fine, but the numbers were kinda disappointing because I was misled by the counting cube and thought it adhered to the 1+6/2+5/3+4 layout of a die for a longest time. Not sure whether I should blame my brain or Fish. :p Took finding the numbers classroom to explain these better.

Sober

Thoughts about the code solutions:

I think it's kinda weird that a bi-lingual speaker like Fish made a hint that only works in English. Maybe he thought that it was too clever to leave out - and it is damn fucking clever! - or too complicated to translate into other languages. (For example, the most widely used German pangram is "Franz jagt im komplett verwahrlosten Taxi quer durch Bayern" :D

I think the Alphabet is great, the tetromino code is also fine, but the numbers were kinda disappointing because I was misled by the counting cube and thought it adhered to the 1+6/2+5/3+4 layout of a die for a longest time. Not sure whether I should blame my brain or Fish. :p Took finding the numbers classroom to explain these better.
I don't think I'll ever figure out the die on my own, you mind explaining how you get the value of the numbers from it, because I can't seem to get it from a base 6 thing (the die) to translating it back into base 10 (numbers 0-9) to use for translation. Been staring at the numbers classroom walls all last night and some of this morning, nothing's come to mind.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't think I'll ever figure out the die on my own, you mind explaining how you get the value of the numbers from it, because I can't seem to get it from a base 6 thing (the die) to translating it back into base 10 (numbers 0-9) to use for translation. Been staring at the numbers classroom walls all last night and some of this morning, nothing's come to mind.

The numbers system is incredibly easy once you figure out the flow ->

There's always a box and a dash. Just a box = 0. Add a dash going up in the box, that's a 1. One dash going right, that's a 2. One dash going down, that's a 3. One dash going left, that's a 4. From there, you have your template - the rest is just adding dashes together since the rest of the numbers are combinations of that. So, for example, if you have one box that has a left dash + a right dash, you know that right dash = 2, left dash = 4, so 2+4 = 6. And so on and so forth.

Not sure about the die though. I think you know the above and so does Haunted, but just in case...

daxy

It was actually this place that helped me solve the numbers. Don't know if that's the one you meant but you if you know about the tetrominos, this is the most clear example in my opinion.

http://i.imgur.com/05xzHX7.jpg

Haunted

That was exactly my problem. I didn't see any way to get the numbers from the cube (I still don't even know if there is).

You only get the 0 1 2 3 from the classroom, it's the picture with the point/line/plane/volume underneath, they are representing the dimensions. From there, you combine the dashes to get to later numbers as Ami says above.

Pyccko

I ended up having to look up the formula to the numbers myself, but I noticed after the fact
in the room you find the counting cube, there's a few things on the walls that show you different ways to add up to 10, i.e. 1 2 7 = 10, etc.
If you had a pretty good logical mind, you could probably crack it just from seeing those. Not me though, hahah.

yarden24

got the the 16 cubes QR code, and my phone wont scan it, am i supposed to remove the scaffolding with Photoshop or something for it too? or is it supposed to work?

amrod

Am I playing this game wrong or something... I just go room to room grabbing the cubes,
and now I'm at a point (70%) where I cant get farther because there are lots of black holes on the screen

Haunted

Am I playing this game wrong or something... I just go room to room grabbing the cubes,
and now I'm at a point (70%) where I cant get farther because there are lots of black holes on the screen
You can usually work around these black spaces and get to where you want anyway.

Check the map for places you haven't been to yet.

I wish I could play this game I purchased, but it does not work on intel graphic cards. And here I believed it was a perfect game for my netbook.

Gambit61

Wow I'm so slow. After checking out some of the hints I was staring at the answer to solving the alphabet the entire time. I just was looking at it in the wrong perspective.

I knew it was referencing the quick fox, but I just didn't think to turn the lines of symbols sideways like I did the tetris puzzle with the monument. lol

Blizzard

Banned

justjim89

Just made a lot of progress in my latest play session. Currently have 30 cubes, 16 anti-cubes, all artifacts but the Tome (still no idea what any of them do), and ...

One red? cube that I found by cheating in some fashion. I saw the 2 red dots in the telescope and thought that it meant LT RT. When that didn't work I consulted a wiki. I'm glad I did because I never would have figured that out on my own. What the hell does this thing do? It's not in my inventory anywhere.

I also discovered the infamous Black Monolith... won't deal with that for now. Lowered the water level and was happy to see so many new doors. Mostly I've been wandering around getting cubes from tetris pieces. My first full page of notes has officially been taken. I discovered the blue rooms with red platforms that flash with the music. That was pretty cool. Though the totems and obelisk there confuse me as to what they actually mean. The tuning forks (I've now discovered 3) are really piquing my curiosity. No idea what to do with them though.

Still no damn clue as to the alphabet or the numbers. Which makes me feel like a large chunk of the game is still hidden to me. Is this the room that reveals the key to the alphabet... or just another puzzle?

Also: flying is hella useful. I don't even feel guilty about abusing it.

Top Bottom