• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF XIV: Legacy & Welcome Back(Accounts must be registered by May 31st for Legacy!)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I forgot how good this game looks. Still doesn't run great in town even with the suggested settings, but it runs well enough. Does subscribing give you additional character slots?

You pay per character slot, $3/m IIRC.
Like FFXI, you can change your job, so unless you are partial to more then one race, there is little reason to make 2 characters. (At least that I'm aware of)

Ravidrath

You pay per character slot, $3/m IIRC.
Like FFXI, you can change your job, so unless you are partial to more then one race, there is little reason to make 2 characters. (At least that I'm aware of)

Actually, right now you pay, but in 2.0 you'll get multiple characters free, depending on what tier you subscribe to.

If you get Legacy status, you get up to 8 characters per server up to a max of 40 characters for $10 a month.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Actually, right now you pay, but in 2.0 you'll get multiple characters free, depending on what tier you subscribe to.

If you get Legacy status, you get up to 8 characters per server up to a max of 40 characters for $10 a month.

Oh, thanks. Did not know that. :)
Looking forward to 2.0

Dineren

Banned
Guess I'll go for the three month sub then so I can qualify for legacy. At the very least it will give me time to run through some of the story content, assuming Diablo doesn't totally consume me.

Teknoman

Is there anyone online at the moment around level 15 who might want to tackle the Shposhae dungeon near Limsa Lominsa? I hear it's got some nice loot (although I'm not really sure what). I've tried asking around the area but I seem to be the only person speaking in chat, so I must seem like a mad man desperately looking for a party at this point!

I might be able to help, gotta check my classes since I dont want to just blast through for you guys lol. I'm surprised no one has answered though...after the server merge people seem to be a little more social.

Boss Man

I see that players still sell items i'll never use for 99,000,000 gil.
I always wanted to actually buy one of those. Just because those are sometimes emotional / show-off items. It would be really funny to just buy it from them when they never expected it to happen.

I still need to log into my FFXI account and do something with the ~15mil that's hanging around on my unused character. Too bad there probably aren't any new, bright-eyed players on there anymore.

Zee-Row

Banned
How do you gain Anima? I've been using to fast travel back to places since walking takes forever , also whats a good wiki for this game so i can read walkthroughs on the quests?

ZenaxPure

How do you gain Anima? I've been using to fast travel back to places since walking takes forever , also whats a good wiki for this game so i can read walkthroughs on the quests?

Anima regenerates something like 1 every 3 hours (maybe not exactly right, but it's slowwwwww). If you're close to a town and your destination isn't far away I'd highly suggest using airships and chocobos. Use Anima sparingly.

As for wikis to read through I am unsure, wish I knew the answer to that. When I played most sites dedicated to FF14 info were highly out of date.

Teknoman

Honestly walkthroughs arent really necessary for XIV. Just check the journal entry for the quest, and you can view the map marker for the quest location. And yeah most sites are really out of date date...which I guess is because

EDIT: People will really start talking once they require you to do more than just primal bosses / other things that probably require linkshell camaraderie.

los

So I signed in to check out some of the new stuff, and remembered about the new jobs. I wanted to be a Bard, but since I didn't meet the requirements I went for Monk. I charge into battle, and wow, I have no idea what these skills are. Good thing these imps are only lvl 35.

What's all this combo business? And what does equipping the job crystal actually do? I equip the crystal and I only see one additional Job Action and all my class actions seem the same. Do I need to do quests to get more, and is my Monk level the same as my PGL level? The gear that monk was in looked awesome.

I dont know if anyone I used to play with is still on this server, wish I was on the Gaf server.

To answer one of my questions, from the Lodestone:
- Jobs are an extension of classes.

- Characters switch to a job from the corresponding base class.

- Characters can don the gear of the base class as well as job-specific gear.

- Jobs have exclusive actions.

- Selecting a job will limit the type and number of actions from other classes that can be used.*

- Jobs do not have their own levels. When switched to a job, the character level is that of the base class.

- EXP earned while playing as a job counts towards that of the base class.

- By completing job quests, characters can expand their repetoire of job-specific skills and actions.

* Some class-specific actions cannot be used after switching to a job.

Absol

Aw man. I think I'm lost on what to do next. Currently level 10 and just did all my leve quests and now I'm out of them. Not sure what to do next. Not sure when the next story quest will start so I've just been grinding.

Kientin

I've been trying to find out how to contact a sack holder (assuming linkshells work the same way in FFXI) but I have no idea how to search by player. /sea doesn't work and the search function in the menu has no option to search by name that I see unless I'm missing something here. Tried looking it up in google and I see /who but that only has the same functions as the search from the menu that I see...

DJIzana

Aw man. I think I'm lost on what to do next. Currently level 10 and just did all my leve quests and now I'm out of them. Not sure what to do next. Not sure when the next story quest will start so I've just been grinding.

That's honestly the same problem I have... there's just not enough content in the game (if you just want to play as one class only, that is.) The only thing you CAN do is grind, really... or look for a party with other people that have leves.

I'm *really* hoping 2.0 will have a lot more content... and that PVP is accessible for everyone otherwise I honestly don't think I'll be paying to play this further.

cruets

That's honestly the same problem I have... there's just not enough content in the game (if you just want to play as one class only, that is.) The only thing you CAN do is grind, really... or look for a party with other people that have leves.

I'm *really* hoping 2.0 will have a lot more content... and that PVP is accessible for everyone otherwise I honestly don't think I'll be paying to play this further.

theres lots to do, its just nothing til 22 ish, since at 10 you'd die with couple of hits. hopefully you guys can make it a little higher

DJIzana

theres lots to do, its just nothing til 22 ish, since at 10 you'd die with couple of hits. hopefully you guys can make it a little higher

I just turned Monk today, looking for a party, at least on my server is pretty dull... haven't had much luck.

If you have any suggestions for more content to see, by all means. It's just that I haven't been able to find anything, personally. (Not having any anima right now & completely done my leves already doesn't help either. xD)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Speaking of 22, when I came back this time, I've found my character near some Gridania camp and I've remembered that I haven't finished "Together we stand" story quest.
Tried two times and failed both. Come on, this is one of the most tedious quest I've recently seen in an mmo. Not only you have to walk the same boring path 2 times with your npc partner behaving like it's crazy (running in circles) and failing the mission if you leave instanced zone it's generating, but you fail if you get hit once on your way back and have to do it all again. :(

Kronotech

Jumping back into the game to test the newish waters. If I could get an invite to the new LS, that would be just peachy.

Drogyn Hart

kiryogi

Banned
I've been trying to find out how to contact a sack holder (assuming linkshells work the same way in FFXI) but I have no idea how to search by player. /sea doesn't work and the search function in the menu has no option to search by name that I see unless I'm missing something here. Tried looking it up in google and I see /who but that only has the same functions as the search from the menu that I see...

See the list in OP!

Or ill be home in 15. . .

/t Eithne Rain hi! I'm from GAF!

Ooor list your name and ill find you.

Zomba13

I'm actually getting back into this. I'm really enjoying the combat as a PGL. I probably would have stayed CNJ but that is apparently the WHM lite class?
I might grab a bunch of time now so I get the legacy thing and so I have time to get to lvl 30 and get me a goddamn Goobbue. They are magnificent, majestic creatures and I must have one to ride on.

Game runs like shit in Ul'Dah but I guess that is to be expected? The amount of people the game tries to load in and the fact that it'll be a bit laggy there.
Is there a 'right' level to start partying? I'm almost 20 PGL now purely from solo leves (I was 16 before the return thingie). Could I make it to 30 fairly easy solo?

Teknoman

I'm actually getting back into this. I'm really enjoying the combat as a PGL. I probably would have stayed CNJ but that is apparently the WHM lite class?
I might grab a bunch of time now so I get the legacy thing and so I have time to get to lvl 30 and get me a goddamn Goobbue. They are magnificent, majestic creatures and I must have one to ride on.

Game runs like shit in Ul'Dah but I guess that is to be expected? The amount of people the game tries to load in and the fact that it'll be a bit laggy there.
Is there a 'right' level to start partying? I'm almost 20 PGL now purely from solo leves (I was 16 before the return thingie). Could I make it to 30 fairly easy solo?

You could ask for leve parties as well. I forget what level you can start your job quest (30 class /15 class?)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
sVc9a.gif

Jinko

Oh, did they change it so equipment is only damaged when you die? Last time I played (which was quite a long time ago) equipment got damaged through use, dieing just sped the process up a ton.

It still degrades with use but its almost negligible, the main penalty is when you die, something like 8% when you use return after dying.

If you are raised after death there is almost no damage.

To the people above who have complained about lack of leve regeneration I suggest you go here and make an official complaint, otherwise nothing will change. :p
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/45435-Remove-battle-leves-allowance.

I'm online now for a while so message me if you need a linkpearl.

creid

I still need to log into my FFXI account and do something with the ~15mil that's hanging around on my unused character. Too bad there probably aren't any new, bright-eyed players on there anymore.
I'm a new bright-eyed FFXI player! Haven't touched it in a little while, but I'll be getting back to it sooner or later. Got stuck trying to unlock subjobs :/

Jinko

Are there more updates planned for FFXIV between 1.22 and 2.0? ETA?

We have 1.22b probably due the end of the month and then 1.23 and its subsequent lettered patches.

1.23 should be when Dalamud lands, hopefully things will start to liven up with the live events system in this patch.

Sofo

Hmm, you guys talking about how good it is with MotionJoy, I'll give it a try this weekend! It just isn't smooth enough with the keyboard, but I am not complaining!

I'm really enjoying it, and am glad I got "legacy" status :) I chose the 90-days option, instead of the 30 one, since it's a tad bit cheaper.

Currently THM 15, can't wait to rank up!

My guy is on Bismarck sorry :x

Are there more updates planned for FFXIV between 1.22 and 2.0? ETA?

The recent patch was supposed to be the last new content before 2.0, but I'm wondering if they'll put out some new stuff as they ramp up to release (new 2.0 related quests, etc).

Dineren

Banned
Anyone know if there would be any performance increase (besides just loading between areas) if I moved the install to my SSD? I get a lot of stuttering in town, but I'm not sure if it's because it is streaming data from the hard drive or if my cpu/video card can't keep up.

zapperx

feel like i'm misunderstanding a few things.

Would rather wait and start playing when 2.0 and all the improvements come, but if i wait until 2.0 to play, will all of the current story and quests will be gone? Would I need to complete the current content by September (beta) or full release in 2013?

oh yeah, how much of the content can be completed by a duo? would just be playing through it with my brother and preferably no others.

Jinko

The recent patch was supposed to be the last new content before 2.0, but I'm wondering if they'll put out some new stuff as they ramp up to release (new 2.0 related quests, etc).

Thats not true:-

1.22b - AF weapons and Garlean Stronghold
1.23 - Legatus Garlean Boss fight. and other Umbral age events, Dalamud destroys Erozea etc.

Ravidrath

feel like i'm misunderstanding a few things.

Would rather wait and start playing when 2.0 and all the improvements come, but if i wait until 2.0 to play, will all of the current story and quests will be gone? Would I need to complete the current content by September (beta) or full release in 2013?

oh yeah, how much of the content can be completed by a duo? would just be playing through it with my brother and preferably no others.

A lot of the story content will likely disappear after 2.0 hits, since a lot of it is building up to the moon Dalamud crashing into Eorzea. Basically, if you play now, you get to see the pre-apocalyptic world.

You can solo most everything in the game, but there are a handful of Grand Company and Job quests that require small parties (usually 4 people) to complete.

I subscribed with one character on Square-Enix's website, for 9.99$. It burns me that I cannot play right now. Will my PC be able to run this game? I have 2GB of RAM, a Core 2 Duo processor clocked at 3.1GHz and a Radeon X1950XTX.

Anyone know if there would be any performance increase (besides just loading between areas) if I moved the install to my SSD? I get a lot of stuttering in town, but I'm not sure if it's because it is streaming data from the hard drive or if my cpu/video card can't keep up.

There absolutely will be a noticeable difference. I moved FFXIV to my SSD and the choppiness of the cities is almost non-existent. Not to mention load times are much faster when teleporting or moving zones.

Just to note, I had FFXIV installed on a single 7200RPM HDD at one point and it was unbearable. I could barely move around towns and I'm running an i5 CPU with a GTX580 GPU. I then moved FFXIV to a RAID0 array which helped performance immensely, but not even close to how much it helps when installed on an SSD. YMMV though.

To all the re-subbers. How does the game play now? Compare/contrast to newer MMOs to TERA.

You really can't compare it to Tera lol.

Other than the most stand out - writing. XIV >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tera.

Sheeps. XIV > Tera.

Oddly. when i came off Tera I had no problems switching my playstyle other than trying to jump with spacebar.

DJIzana

To all the re-subbers. How does the game play now? Compare/contrast to newer MMOs to TERA.

I can't speak for TERA but I've been playing the GW2 beta & I would honestly rather play that at this point.

SIMPLY because as I had mentioned earlier, I don't believe there's enough content in the game to warrant ANY sort of monthly fee.

You can switch classes on the fly & level something else if you are out of leve quests or out of rested exp if that's your thing but I enjoy playing one class/job & sticking with it & not grinding when I can.

After you run out of leves you have to look for a leve party with other people to gain the most benefit of leveling your character. I really hope 2.0 changes a lot of this because I don't mind the game, it's just there's not a lot for me to do. Can't even PVP until 2.0 because again, the content isn't there. There IS no PVP. When you're maxed out, you need to grind it out.

(My character is a level 30 Monk now, so I hope that helps you with your decision.)

Arksy

You really can't compare it to Tera lol.

Other than the most stand out - writing. XIV >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tera.

Sheeps. XIV > Tera.

Oddly. when i came off Tera I had no problems switching my playstyle other than trying to jump with spacebar.

Let me put it this way.

Is the combat more fast paced and less buggy then it was? I remember grinding rats north up the coast from limsa at level 15 and getting close to nowhere and it was boring as hell with thaumaturge/mage. Smacking fire and wating 10s for the fireball to cast isn't really a great way to do combat. The combat could've been good....If it was at least a lot faster.

The writing was decent but no voice acting kinda annoyingly killed it a little.

I really admire Yoshidas attempts and think he's doing well considering but i kind of feel he might have been better off making a game from scratch....

EDIT: What was also annoying was that while I liked the idea of being tied to your starting city in a way...you had to make a new character to experience the story for the other cities.. :(

Teknoman

As a level 30 Monk, you should go ahead and join a Grand Company, get to moving to Totorak dungeon, and I think you can do easy versions of the Ifrit battle.

Also jump is coming to XIV at some point in the near future.

EDIT: The combat isnt really more fast paced, but it is much less buggy (totally different combat system), a little more strategic through use of self combos and positioning during combos, along with changing of availible skills and what they do to make classes and jobs more defined. I guess you could say its a faster paced system similar to XI now?

Yoshi-P has done a good job of pull the game back together and restructuring it over the past 2 years, but things will be totally different once again after 2.0 hits.

creid

There absolutely will be a noticeable difference. I moved FFXIV to my SSD and the choppiness of the cities is almost non-existent. Not to mention load times are much faster when teleporting or moving zones.
Ugh. Just spent big money buying a new PC thinking it would give me good performance on newish games for a while, and the choppiness when moving around cities is definitely putting me off a bit. Really hope this gets fixed up in 2.0.

depward

I'm apparently (?) stuck on the tutorial "Souls Gone Wild" quest in Gridania. I'm even resorted to following a guide I found (http://www.ffxivorigin.com/guides/1024-souls-gone-wild-walkthrough.html).

Specifically:

"Now head back to the Carline Canopy in Gridania and speak to Miounne again. You most likely will need to speak to her twice. Note: Always select the Color of Sin choice when given the option.

Miounne now tells you to head to the Stillgalde Fane to perform the purification rites. Using your map, this will be the Conjurers Guild at the upper part of the map. Head up to the Conjurers Guild and speak to the NPC Soileine first, then proceed to the back of the chamber for a cut scene."

This just won't pop for me, no matter what I do. Miounne won't say anything, I'll run back and forth between Stillgalde Fane and talk to everyone there - nothing.

Top Bottom