• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF16 Director, “think it's possible – probably even likely," future FF games will be day 1 PC release

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Speaking to GamesRadar+, Hiroshi Takai reflects on the decision to launch Final Fantasy 16's PC version out of step from the PS5 version and whether that's something we'll see going forward.

Asked if future Final Fantasy games may see a day-one release, Takai says "I think it's possible – probably even likely," before adding, "That said, the team in charge of each project gets to decide its own policy, so this is just my personal opinion."

While Takai's thoughts are his, they align with what Square Enix has said throughout various financial briefings throughout the year. At the company's financial results for the last fiscal year, the developer spoke of a "shift from quantity to quality" as it "aggressively pursues a multiplatform strategy."

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Maribeth Monroe Reaction GIF by CBS

Celcius

°Temp. member
Here's hoping we get Rebirth next summer and then the 3rd FF7 game on the same date as PS5.

Denton

Exclusivity has always been idiotic. Sure you get some short term money sooner, but you get lot less money at launch and more importantly, you limit the size of your audience and fanbase and fail to capitulate on release hype. From longerm standpoint it is always worth it to broaden your fanbase as much as possible.

Last edited:
Exclusivity has always been idiotic. Sure you get some short term money sooner, but you get lot less money at launch and more importantly, you limit the size of your audience and fanbase and fail to capitulate on release hype. From longerm standpoint it is always worth it to broaden your fanbase as much as possible.

It's not idiotic if you have a publisher underwriting the risk.

My guess is that Sony is unwilling to write those checks anymore, so it's not like they have much of an option but to aggressively pursue a multiplat strategy

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
SE might have to dial back on their FF because their biggest customer base is likely on the Switch and major titles always skip it. If the Switch 2 is up to snuff, they might able to port their games there too. Otherwise, they should go for lower production values to maximize their revenues.

SE might have to dial back on their FF because their biggest customer base is likely on the Switch and major titles always skip it. If the Switch 2 is up to snuff, they might able to port their games there too. Otherwise, they should go for lower production values to maximize their revenues.

Their biggest customer base is not on switch

simpatico

Gold Member
We talked about this after it was apparent that FF XVI underperformed, but Sony bros let SquareSoft down. Big time. A lot of PS5 owners didn't buy it just because it was a bad game. Paying no mind to the graphics, exclusivity and brand recognition.

DQ games maybe.

SE as a whole? Really really unlikely.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
We talked about this after it was apparent that FF XVI underperformed, but Sony bros let SquareSoft down. Big time. A lot of PS5 owners didn't buy it just because it was a bad game. Paying no mind to the graphics, exclusivity and brand recognition.
By what metrics is it a bad game? Reviews? Nope. Audience score? Nope.

Haint

I won't be buying 16 or Rebirth cause they're so old by the time they release, they lose an absolute metric shit ton of sales once they're out of the launch hype and marketing cycle (quadruply so 1.5+ years later). There's no way Sony's peanut check covers even 1/10th of what they lose. It's not 1997 or even the 2010's anymore, a large chunk of the audience who grew up on Final Fantasy isn't interested in playing $150+ million dollar epics that come once a decade on $400 720p/30 pauper boxes. I'd genuinely prefer not to play them at all.

Last edited:
It's not 1997 or even the 2010's anymore, a large chunk of the audience who grew up on Final Fantasy isn't interested in playing $150+ million dollar epics that come once a decade on $400 720p/30 pauper boxes

I think there's a chance sales on Switch 2 would be decent enough. Both Remake/Rebirth and FF16.

It's a genre thing. I just don't think Final Fantasy works on PC.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I think there's a chance sales on Switch 2 would be decent enough. Both Remake/Rebirth and FF16.

It's a genre thing. I just don't think Final Fantasy works on PC.
Why not? Plenty of rpgs work on PC. Character action games too. Which is more in line with what ff16 was.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Selling their ass to Sony backfired on 16 and Rebirth.
The problem with Rebirth is that it's a part 2 of a remake trilofy of an overexposed game from the 90s that's been outpaced in sales by FF15.

The problem with XVI is the game itself (as I warned of prior) which won't be any more or less exciting on Steam. Turns out bringing in a guy who knows PS2-era gameplay really well and using generic fantasy aesthetics doesn't make a MMO team suddenly capable of putting out a contemporarily appealing single player title.

Last edited:

Haint

Why not? Plenty of rpgs work on PC. Character action games too. Which is more in line with what ff16 was.

It's just outdated talking points about PC being an audience for stereotype's like RTS's, Flightsim's, or MMO's that will cite mediocre sells of decade+ old "console ports" that were themselves delayed 1-3 years at the time.

Last edited:

lordrand11

Here's hoping we get Rebirth next summer and then the 3rd FF7 game on the same date as PS5.
Considering their penetration hasn't quite been what they want it to be on a singular console I think this would be the right move and answer for them. That and most of these systems/platforms are x86 anyways

IAmRei

Imo, lower production value such as bravely default 2 is fine for me, thats like proper FF for me. The story is not convoluted and rhe gameplay is very good. Although im fine with 15 and 16 as well

Myths

Stagger existed before FF13.
Even looking at it more generalized, it’s just a limit break bar moved from the character to the enemy but the former retains everything else.

Game mechanics and design don’t change much, it’s mostly moving modular parts and components around such that it appears different but the underlying function(s) remain the same.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Sony no longer willing to pay the big bux for exclusives? That or it hurts PC sales more than it's worth.
Likely.

I feel its likely Square came to them btw.

Majority of this game's sales are on PS anyway, so its like....why would they care? lol Its release is a massive sales jump for their platform. Why would they care to chase down Square to..what what? Avoid 10% or 18% of sales gained for XB or how ever low that shit is lol

Its battle that has already been won, the majority install base of the IP is on PS, which means Square might wish for some deal to get extra funds or something, but the game's release on PS will move units for Sony regardless if it was exclusive or not.

Denton

It's not idiotic if you have a publisher underwriting the risk.

My guess is that Sony is unwilling to write those checks anymore, so it's not like they have much of an option but to aggressively pursue a multiplat strategy
Again, even if you get a nice paycheck, in long run it is much safer and eventually profitable to forgo that paycheck and instead focus on growing your audience.

Which is what Squeenix is finally realizing.

Last edited:
Again, even if you get a nice paycheck, in long run it is much safer and eventually profitable to forgo that paycheck and instead focus on growing your audience.

Which is what Squeenix is finally realizing.

AAA gaming is a huge risk. They can the checks and still release later on other platforms and grow the audience

The deals just aren’t being offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom