• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF16 Director, “think it's possible – probably even likely," future FF games will be day 1 PC release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hudo

I'd love for Sony to actually spend money on developing their own first-party JRPG instead of paying Square for timed exclusivity. But fuck me, I guess.

Allandor

Maybe it would be even better if the game is interesting...
FF should definitely go back to its roots and not be the "just another action focused game".
With the current quality of mainline FF games it is no wonder why they don't sell enough. They also totally forgot to be a fantasy game. Realistic look is not needed, which would also make the production cheaper.

Hohenheim

Great! Everything should be day 1 PC.
It makes sense for everyone.
Console exclusivity feels very weird and out of touch in this day and age.

Last edited:

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
Maybe it would be even better if the game is interesting...
FF should definitely go back to its roots and not be the "just another action focused game".
With the current quality of mainline FF games it is no wonder why they don't sell enough. They also totally forgot to be a fantasy game. Realistic look is not needed, which would also make the production cheaper.
I honestly think Sony no longer needs Final Fantasy as an exclusive. Remember back in the Microsoft did a huge effort to get Japanese games on the 360?

Not if it disappoints most of their fans which it surely would
Does that matter? Souls saga started exclusively on Playstation, none of From's first 4 games was released simulaneously on PC (2 of them never released there actually), and now Elden Ring has PC as it's most succesful platform, and the game is selling much, much more than any previous one.
FF16 is profitable and Sony took a lot of risk off the table so no.
Imagine working on a game for 5-6-7 years, spending hundreds of millions just to end up being profitable and not much else, hell i'd bet i made higher ROI from putting my money on fixed deposits lmao.

Sounds even worse if you used a massive (not so massive anymore tho but still) IP.

Checks can work for unknown, risky IP's and smaller games, but not for AAA anymore, specially now that many 10M+ sellers are selling the most on PC (Helldivers, Elden Ring, Cyberpunk, BG3, Palworld, or Wukong, which will reach 10m in 1-2 months or sooner)

Eliciel

What a shame, I thought it' was a message about them finally going back to round-based systems or at least to a solution like FF XII & FF XII had or at least merging them together and creating the true next gen of round-based....because what I see in FF XVI and FF VII Rebirth is not at all grabbing my attention at all when it comes to fighting in a FF game..

Myths

I just bought an Ultrawide Alienware Monitor. When I booted FFXVI's demo I fully expected it to be Ultrawide capable. Imagine my shock when it was 16:9 running at 3440 x 1440....
Yeah the only fix is to just modify the width and height in the config file. There are still certain elements and post-processing effects in absolute positions on-screen however (blur, UI elements).

Imagine working on a game for 5-6-7 years, spending hundreds of millions just to end up being profitable and not much else, hell i'd bet i made higher ROI from putting my money on fixed deposits lmao.

Sounds even worse if you used a massive (not so massive anymore tho but still) IP.

Checks can work for unknown, risky IP's and smaller games, but not for AAA anymore, specially now that many 10M+ sellers are selling the most on PC (Helldivers, Elden Ring, Cyberpunk, BG3, Palworld, or Wukong, which will reach 10m in 1-2 months or sooner)
I don’t think that FFXVI or FF7 rebirth are hundreds of millions of dollars, but they sure are profitable, not many AAA games can say that.

As for the other games mentioned, it’s good they are selling great on PC and it seems that they are also selling a lot on other platforms, but for 16, a lot of people are complaining not about performance but about the game going downhill in the last half of the game compared to the first half.

But I hope the game does well on PC and that the urban legend about every game doing big numbers on PC will be true with this one.

Exclusivity has always been idiotic. Sure you get some short term money sooner, but you get lot less money at launch and more importantly, you limit the size of your audience and fanbase and fail to capitulate on release hype. From longerm standpoint it is always worth it to broaden your fanbase as much as possible.

It really depends. You have no idea how much money and resources Sony is providing. We would need that information first before we decide if it's worth it or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom