• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXI or Lineage II ??

Ferrio

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
I hear that Dark Age of Camelot game is really good. ;)

A lot of the changes in the RvR revamp have helped to tie leveling in better with participation in competitive realm vs. realm combat. If you pick a higher population server, all you have to do is get to level 15 or 20 and you can basically work through the leveling grind through killing other players with the rest of your realm, if that's your thing.

Wonder if my nightshade or whatever still exists. He was like 37 or something.... but it's been like a year and I don't know where my cds are.

Ferrio said:
Wonder if my nightshade or whatever still exists. He was like 37 or something.... but it's been like a year and I don't know where my cds are.

1 on 1 I was absolutely destroyed by a Hib Nightshade the other day. He was stealthed (invisible) and got me w/ his crit style and basically 2-shot killed my fire wizard. I respawned at portal keep cursing myself for not having root him. So i thought to myself, if i root him, i can run to nuking distance and embarass him.

Would have worked nicely, had i not forgotten that Nightshade's are a stealther class that gets magic. He instacast me three times while rooted, interupting my wizzie's spellcasting each time, then broke root and finished me off.

Ferrio

Banned
Sounds nice that nightshades actually have magic. One of the reasons why I quit, they had NOTHING that made them different.

Ferrio-Mythic still has your character. ;)

Nightshades get a couple of spells-a shout DD with a 20s recast timer for use while in melee, and a castable DD that can be used over and over to plink at people from range (it doesn't do much damge, but it does interrupt casters).

Those kind of characters are great for battlegrounds play, where your NS would fit right in. Mythic is offering a 14-day free return offer for previous customers. That includes a full downloadable CD that you can use to install the game if you've lost your disks :)

http://www.comebacktocamelot.com

Ferrio

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
Ferrio-Mythic still has your character. ;)

Nightshades get a couple of spells-a shout DD with a 20s recast timer for use while in melee, and a castable DD that can be used over and over to plink at people from range (it doesn't do much damge, but it does interrupt casters).

Those kind of characters are great for battlegrounds play, where your NS would fit right in. Mythic is offering a 14-day free return offer for previous customers. That includes a full downloadable CD that you can use to install the game if you've lost your disks :)

http://www.comebacktocamelot.com

*shakes fist*

THOSE EVIL BASTARDS. That and I can't join your server, and I'd need the expansions and such.

AeroGod

Nightshades are EVIL. Skalds are even more EVEL. There is nothing worse then a giant troll running at you shouting off mezzes and stuns, blasting off a few insta DDs and then adminstering the coup de grace in the form of a big fucking two handed sword. I hate skalds, with a passion. The very bane of the Hibernia and Albion casters. It doesnt help that they are 10 times faster then you either.

I have a rank 5 skald, he was great fun before I had to put him out to pasture. :(

As for alb casters, I like my sorc a lot-he'd punk any skald any day of the week. ;)

SaitoH

Mock said:
I'd say about every ten levels or so, a new dimension of the game hits. By the time you hit 20 in the game, if you haven't levelled your subjob - much less actually gotten one - you are seen as a joke and will not get parties as easily as you did starting out.

I didn't really find much changed between the level 20 (chocobo) and 50. Level 50s when the game starts to open up. Parties form in Jeuno and have a choice of where to level. It's a shame they burden you with genkai's and AF quests at that point though, because that's what killed the game for me. I had an airship pass and freedom to explore, but square wanted to make everything as difficult and as slow as possible.

Simply playing a job or two doesn't even let you grasp the scope of this game. In EQ, I was forced down a singular path and if I wanted to play another job, I had to make whole new character. Not to mention some jobs were restricted by race. I get a lot more freedom to do as I please in FFXI.

I like starting new characters, but in FFXI you don't want to because ofthe time you invest in getting fame, keys, etc. It's a good/bad thing in my opinion. While there isn't really any physical restrictions, you have very little real choice in what you choose. If you want to be a war/blm you'll never get a party. If you want to be a taru melee, or a galkan mage ... you've picked a VERY difficult path. I had friends that were Rdm/nin and the crap they put up with because of their sub, was retarded. So while there isn't really any restriction on what you pick, in reality, it's VERY strick.

Of course that's just my opinion. Yours may vary.

^w^

Mock

Banned
SaitoH said:
I like starting new characters, but in FFXI you don't want to because ofthe time you invest in getting fame, keys, etc. It's a good/bad thing in my opinion. While there isn't really any physical restrictions, you have very little real choice in what you choose. If you want to be a war/blm you'll never get a party. If you want to be a taru melee, or a galkan mage ... you've picked a VERY difficult path. I had friends that were Rdm/nin and the crap they put up with because of their sub, was retarded. So while there isn't really any restriction on what you pick, in reality, it's VERY strick.

Of course that's just my opinion. Yours may vary.

^w^

Well, to be honest, I think you could make a similiar argument for most other MMOs there. You start a new character in EQ and your reputation resets, meaning you have to persue certain mobs again and kill them so you can still visit other towns and not be killed by NPCs. EQ has fame, just handled differently. I do kind of wish there were playable evil races/alignments, but it'd screw up the Conquest at this point.

I fully disagree about restrictions on your choices, though. You're talking more about the social consequence of picking an unconventional race and job combo. A Galka Mage and a Taru Dragoon can make it 75, its just that the American audience is weened on EQ and afraid to step out of traditional party molds. Also, I think the social connections you make in this game will pay off in the long run. I'm a Taru DRG/WHM - that's all I really want to be right now because I like the challenge of it.

Unlike a lot of people who play, I don't see a checkered flag at level 75 and the only real reward is AF3 at that point or hunting HNMs. But that's not the end-all/Be-all of the game for me. I get more satisfaction in helping other players get their keys and advanced jobs than I do levelling and getting stuff. And I think some of those people will return the favor when I go out for my AFs.

Tonight, I just helped an LS buddy get Carbuncle's Ruby and for me, that was enough.

SaitoH

Mock said:
Well, to be honest, I think you could make a similiar argument for most other MMOs there. You start a new character in EQ and your reputation resets, meaning you have to persue certain mobs again and kill them so you can still visit other towns and not be killed by NPCs. EQ has fame, just handled differently. I do kind of wish there were playable evil races/alignments, but it'd screw up the Conquest at this point.

I fully disagree about restrictions on your choices, though. You're talking more about the social consequence of picking an unconventional race and job combo. A Galka Mage and a Taru Dragoon can make it 75, its just that the American audience is weened on EQ and afraid to step out of traditional party molds. Also, I think the social connections you make in this game will pay off in the long run. I'm a Taru DRG/WHM - that's all I really want to be right now because I like the challenge of it.

Unlike a lot of people who play, I don't see a checkered flag at level 75 and the only real reward is AF3 at that point or hunting HNMs. But that's not the end-all/Be-all of the game for me. I get more satisfaction in helping other players get their keys and advanced jobs than I do levelling and getting stuff. And I think some of those people will return the favor when I go out for my AFs.

Tonight, I just helped an LS buddy get Carbuncle's Ruby and for me, that was enough.

Yes, you could make a similar argument for most MMOs and It's something I'd like to see changed. I like making new toons, but I shouldn't be punished for doing so.

*shrugs*

Concerning the restrictions, I have to give you major credit for being a Taru drg/whm. Very impressive. Are you in a big LS? because it must be very difficult to get pickup groups. I disagree about the american audience though. They wanted to pick the odd job combos (at least my friends did) , but eventually had to change due to pressure from the higher ranks.

Social connections are a big deal. Too big of a deal. The be all end all of FFXI is the set party, and I think that's very wrong because it isolates people. I loved playing in pickup groups. They are unpredictable and can be very fun. Unfortunately, I made lots of friends, but either outleveled them, or they outleveled me. I guess the reason it bothers me so much is that you can't play FFXI as a casual player, it requires a commitment that becomes more apparent every level you gain. Again, this isn't a problem exclusive to FFXI, it's a problem with almost all MMOs and I begin to lose interest in a game when I reach that point.

I'm playing CoH now, at least until WoW comes out. I'm sure I'll get about 6 months out of WoW and be done for exactly the same reasons I left FFXI. CoH is addictive and fun, but doesn't offer enough to keep you long term, although it is fun to make a new toon.

Be nice If someone would try something radically different.

Top Bottom