• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 28 - May 4 | The Desolation of Smug

Shito

Is that small whip swing Poison's st.jab? Doesn't seem very good for stopping dive kicks compared to normal jabs lol.
Yeah. I wonder if cr.HP could be used for that, but I suppose it probably gets stuffed, or trades. Her HP fireball's hitbox also seems quite crappy, so that probably doesn't work well either...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
No matter what happens during the movie, Vergil wins at the end
Mid-credits scene:

jNMwc.gif

Post-credits scene:
Niitsuma's EVO 2012 Panel

Toxi

Banned
I'd just call her a mixup character. Vortex implies an ambiguous cross up on wake up that can be decided by the one controlling the character (as far as I know, at least). Someone like viper, ibuki or akuma all have that trait. Makoto is capable of ambiguous crossups on wake up with her axe kick, but it's not really a big enough part of her gameplay to qualify her as a vortex char.
I would answer no.
She doesn't have any strong 50/50 mixup on oki, she's just all about setups (which you can learn to read to counter) and mindgames.
Thank you. I think I get the distinction now.
I call her girl abel
Capcom will just make a DLC alternate costume that changes Abel to Makoto and sell it for 4.99$. :p

I'd just call her a mixup character. Vortex implies an ambiguous cross up on wake up that can be decided by the one controlling the character (as far as I know, at least). Someone like viper, ibuki or akuma all have that trait. Makoto is capable of ambiguous crossups on wake up with her axe kick, but it's not really a big enough part of her gameplay to qualify her as a vortex char.
I feel like Vortex also implies that the character's mixups are safe. Ibuki's daggers put the opponent in blockstun while she is crossing over him/her, making her untouchable.

Dahbomb

I just saw the first Raid and I thought the fights were poorly choreographed, drawn out, and not convincing. Did the second one solve these problems.
LMAO....

You say drawn out to a 5 minute fight when you post an almost 8 fight of what is not even Donnie Yen's best fight scene.

And a 2nd LMAO @ The Raid fights being poorly choreographed.

xCobalt

I feel like Vortex also implies that the character's mixups are safe. Ibuki's daggers put the opponent in blockstun while she is crossing over him/her, making her untouchable.

It really comes down to the matchup. Some characters can't do anything against a vortex but if they have a decent reversal, there are some options. Viper's vortex isn't as safe either. Some characters can low profile the burn kick and punish.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Shouta, what time should we get there for NWM on Friday? Was wondering if you wanted help setting up; I was planning on taking the day off for NWM regardless.

Dahbomb

A vortex character by definition is a character who has a mix up that leads into the same mix up. It doesn't have to be an ambiguous cross up for it to be a vortex.

Of course some vortexes are better than others but the basic idea is the same...

You hit someone with a mix up, you do a combo and then the combo leads into a set up into the same initial mix up. Normally in this game the combo has to lead into a hard knockdown for the set up which is why Akuma is an ideal vortex character because his combos lead into the sweep.

Edit: Just saw the Northwest Major tournament.

There's going to be a ratio UMVC3 tournament. Do you guys have the ratio numbers for each character?

Also XSK Samurai vs Abegen long set planned as well.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
he stopped playing AE and started playing marvel, because I believe he wasn't having fun in AE and didn't like the ambiguous bs that was going on at that time. Kind of like how eita started playing marvel

I don't remember the exact reason he dropped AE but it wasn't that.

vulva

He's been having fun with Ultra, I think.Lots of good rolento info on his twitter.

Also, tokido vs Reynald in KOF gonna be hype. =o

Yeah I think Ultra's interesting him a lot more. Him leaving AE didn't seem like any dramatic cause though, just lack of interest.

gutabo

I've never been in Peru, would love to

I've been giving open invitations for YEARS here, last one even had cheap lasik eye surgery recommendations(which I've had myself for $300 each eye) but I stopped because no one was interested. Last year besides Justin and Kane Blueriver we had 3 guys from Chile, this year we had ChrisG and a dude from germany(he's still here!). Again, if you're real let me know and we can iron the details. Maybe I should start doing open invitations again...

The Crow King

Neo Member
He's been having fun with Ultra, I think.Lots of good rolento info on his twitter.

Also, tokido vs Reynald in KOF gonna be hype. =o

Tokido in town for NWM? crazy

Lord Shouta, is there anyway to know what pool I'm in for AE? or does that get assigned the day of the tournament? Trying to figure out when I have to drive down there.

Top Bottom