• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 28 - May 4 | The Desolation of Smug

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
FGTV put out like 20 different lists for Marvel 3 (ranging from best players, most potential, entertaining, frauds etc). The only one that merits discussion is their top 10 best overall list (where they all agreed on it).

1) ChrisG
2) Justin Wong (big debate over putting Justin #1 based on raw skill)
3) FChamp
4) Flocker
5) PRBalrog

Next 5 spots were in heavy contention:

RayRay, Apologyman, Cloud805, Yipes, Nemo and Neo.

IMO top 5 is accurate (I mean it's pretty much impossible to dispute based on results) but 6-10 is highly debatable. IMO Nemo and Neo based on results should be far below the other 3. Yipes has gotten some top 8s and won some tournaments same as RayRay and Apologyman, although out of these 3 Apologyman has won the biggest tournament so he could very well be #6 ranked. Cloud has gotten multiple top 8s but he hasn't won a major yet out of these 4 players he got top 8 at EVO. After that I would rank Neo as he has gotten a bunch of top 8s. Nemo only pops into the equation if you start weighing in Korean and Japanese tournaments plus money matches and raw skill.

I'd put Wong #1 and Flocker #2 in terms of raw skill. I'm waiting for the day that Wong gets ignored for not "winning", and he goes dark side and pulls out wolverine + doom + vergil, and proceeds to destroy UMvC3 for multiple years.

I do feel like that top 10 is west coast heavy, but makes some sense based on the context.

kirblar

http://shoryuken.com/2014/04/30/wao...p-and-its-effects-on-ultra-street-fighter-iv/

Wao's thoughts on Ultra thus far.

He has a negative reaction to the game so far due to Delayed Wakeup. Can't wait to see what old-timers like Daigo think. I already know this game is going to ignite an old school vs. new school vs set play/"brainlessness" vs. "pure fundamentals" debate on some level.

it will be mostly nonsense.
I think the 3/5 rounds thing is probably contributing on top of it, for the players at arcades set up that way, compounding the slower rounds and having more meter available per round on average.

Dahbomb

link please! I assume Yipes is using team Nemo to help FChamp prepare? wouldn't it be wild if Nemo shows up with a brand new team?
Set 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwC4UWy1CiY
Set 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwglpYBfKxE

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...filipino-champ-and-ifc-yipes-break-them-down/

Archives here, 2nd video at the bottom (with some content at the last 1/3rd of the first video). Basically starts with some tier list then goes into various lists of players after that they start playing monopoly.

Of course extremely NSFW... the N word gets dropped more frequently than Andre drops combos.

I'd put Wong #1 and Flocker #2 in terms of raw skill. I'm waiting for the day that Wong gets ignored for not "winning", and he goes dark side and pulls out wolverine + doom + vergil, and proceeds to destroy UMvC3 for multiple years.

I do feel like that top 10 is west coast heavy, but makes some sense based on the context.
In terms of raw skills I don't see Flocker as #2. I feel both ChrisG and FChamp have more raw skill than him. Both of these players are hardly ever going to lose a long set to Flocker.

Top 10 is West coast heavy because the best players in Marvel 3 are in fact on the West coast.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Is CJ proof that hard work can't overcome talent? I mean he's been training with Champ and Shady K and so many others for so long now. :(

CJ doesn't work hard, he just goes for the same mixups every match so people know his game-plan inside out. He's got combos down to one touch kill characters, all of his characters are the best in the damn game yet he can't improve. Not only does he do the same mixups, he only came up with rock assist for doom and doesn't think about of the box when being creative or random with his mixups.

FGTV put out like 20 different lists for Marvel 3 (ranging from best players, most potential, entertaining, frauds etc). The only one that merits discussion is their top 10 best overall list (where they all agreed on it).

1) ChrisG
2) Justin Wong (big debate over putting Justin #1 based on raw skill)
3) FChamp
4) Flocker
5) PRBalrog

Next 5 spots were in heavy contention:

RayRay, Apologyman, Cloud805, Yipes, Nemo and Neo.

IMO top 5 is accurate (I mean it's pretty much impossible to dispute based on results) but 6-10 is highly debatable. IMO Nemo and Neo based on results should be far below the other 3. Yipes has gotten some top 8s and won some tournaments same as RayRay and Apologyman, although out of these 3 Apologyman has won the biggest tournament so he could very well be #6 ranked. Cloud has gotten multiple top 8s but he hasn't won a major yet out of these 4 players he got top 8 at EVO. After that I would rank Neo as he has gotten a bunch of top 8s. Nemo only pops into the equation if you start weighing in Korean and Japanese tournaments plus money matches and raw skill.

I agree with the entire list EXCEPT for two people, Neo and Flocker. I probably don't like Flocker cause of his team composition (don't really hate zero) so he can probably stay up there, I'm just being dumb. However, I think we can all agree Neo doesn't deserve to be up there. One of the more washed up players out there that's a carbon copy of Champ from 2 years ago.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Spab just made a point that made me think, maybe the reason Wao feels that way is because there is no training mode, and you essentially have no way to practice any counters to it yet, just kinda have to adapt slowly.

Kumubou

Spab just made a point that made me think, maybe the reason Wao feels that way is because there is no training mode, and you essentially have no way to practice any counters to it yet, just kinda have to adapt slowly.
The funny thing about this is that every other arcade 2D fighting game in Japan has a dedicated training mode (made after 2009, anyway)... except SF4, because :capcom:. Weirdly, none of the 3D fighters have anything like that.

Busaiku

Why doesn't Ultra Street Fighter IV have a training mode.
Isn't it standard to have those timed modes these days?

I know ArcSys games do, and didn't Tekken Tag Tournament 2 as well?

Dahbomb

However, I think we can all agree Neo doesn't deserve to be up there. One of the more washed up players out there that's a carbon copy of Champ from 2 years ago.
He has gotten many top 8 placings which speaks to his consistency as a top player. He only loses to other top players (except the two times he lost to Phoenix Wright but even FChamp has lost to weird stuff like that).

His 2014 record has been a bit spotty though.

CJ doesn't work hard, he just goes for the same mixups every match so people know his game-plan inside out. He's got combos down to one touch kill characters, all of his characters are the best in the damn game yet he can't improve. Not only does he do the same mixups, he only came up with rock assist for doom and doesn't think about of the box when being creative or random with his mixups.
His two major problems are bad decision making and lack of clutch. There are times when he makes the worst decisions possible.

There was an example that FChamp and Hiro brought up that highlighted a bad decision on his part. It was against GCYoshi who had a full team against solo Doom coming in after Mag + Vergil were dead. Doom was at 40% life. GCYoshi had on point Chris with Drones coming in and he had covered the entire landing zone with mines which were burning. CJ instead of coming in blocking he just mashes Foot Dives and goes straight into a bomb, losing like 20-30% health and then Chris just shoots him for the win. FChamp and Hiro ask him why he did that... and CJ said "I was trying to trade my Foot Dive with him".. and FChamp was like "you tried to trade with the mins??!!"

Chavelo

Washed up = Has been

Scrub = bad player who makes excuses

Fruad = someone who acts like they are the shit but suck ass

Everyone else, bookmark this post and click on it before you post something in this thread.

tumblr_m7cx0v0Fgp1rbaxuco1_500.gif

Dahbomb

An FGC dictionary post would be fun to create.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_fighting_games

There's already a list for that. Although you don't really need a definition for washed up or fraud because they have about the same definition as their actual phrase.

By the way... the ORIGINAL definition of vortex according to the glossary:

Vortex

A situation where one player is continually able to force their opponent to make an unfavorable guess out of a combo or setup, resulting in the opponent getting caught in the same setup all over again. Usually performed after a reset or a hard knockdown and the opponent is forced to guess where to block on their wake up; High, Low, Left or Right. Originally applied to Marvel vs. Capcom 2 player Michael "Yipes" Mendoza who used it with his Magneto/Psylocke team, but was later popularized in Street Fighter IV where characters such as Akuma, Cammy and Ibuki could do it after a hard knockdown.

Are you guys talking about a training mode in the arcade version? Just wondering because SF4 definitely has a training mode. I play training mode way more than actual people. I mean their is even a dedicated training mode stage that people talk about getting sick of because so many people choose that stage.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Are you guys talking about a training mode in the arcade version? Just wondering because SF4 definitely has a training mode. I play training mode way more than actual people. I mean their is even a dedicated training mode stage that people talk about getting sick of because so many people choose that stage.

The arcade release.

Dahbomb

Scrub definition for fighting games:

Scrub

A derogative term, mostly synonymous with "loser." It is usually used to indicate a player whose skill level is low or who is deemed to simply be unable to win. Scrubs are usually either beginners to their chosen game, players whose timing or execution of moves is weak (even though they may have a high understanding of advanced play), players who value the aesthetics of a fight over victory (thus losing when they attempt visually flashy techniques which may not be suitable to their situation), or players who are not willing to advance their tactics. Those who frequently complain of "cheap" tactics are usually labelled "scrubs".

I don't think DWU hurts Seth or Viper much. Most of their pressure comes from soft knockdowns. It's Akuma and Ibuki who are the most affected and will have to "think" or react to DWU if they can(which we already know Ibuki can). Same goes for Cammy and Yun, their main game isn't hurt by DWU.

To be honest, I think DWU hurts Ryu more than it hurts Cammy. All the known unblockables are gone now. Now Ryu doesn't even get his safe jump anymore while Cammy will still be dive kickingyou all over the place.

Top Bottom