• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 28 - May 4 | The Desolation of Smug

Ryu1999

Mike Ross was right: I swear that the longer I play SF4 online, the dumber I become. I just dropped from 2300 bp to 1200 bp in 2 hours because my IQ has dropped 50 points.
Should have played Cammy to utilize my new moron power

Anth0ny

I think it's kinda late for him to pick up Melee. If he's going to pick up Smash then he will probably try the newest one (Smash Wii U).

I'm pretty sure Dr. PP got into Melee after Brawl's release. He's now one of the 5 gods of Melee, and just won Apex this year.

Not saying Die will get to that level, but if he wants to get serious about Smash 4, he might as well start with Melee and/or Brawl now. The Wii U game is still almost a year away. His fundamentals are so solid that I have no doubt he'd be able to adjust to the game quickly and effectively, especially if he's being trained by M2K or Armada.

Azure J

I'm legitimately here scratching my head wondering who Die would main in a Melee/Brawl/P:M environment.

Edit: People out here using Team Frantic (Trish/Dante/Strider) now?

Horseress

If Nintendo actually starts supporting the competitive scene then every damn top player will pick up the new Smash. It will be on NLBC, kill Marvel, etc

Toxi

Banned
Here is another video of various matches of the Online UMVC3 Warriors that I was able to record.

The Thor player(from the last video I linked here) Pr0t0mAn X is in here again, a very good Trish/Dante/Strider player is in here too, also some matches that Cloud805 gave me too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvNgCuUbORk
Oh wow, awesome vids. It's interesting watching Thor because he goes for set-ups a lot.
I'm legitimately here scratching my head wondering who Die would main in a Melee/Brawl/P:M environment.
I think Jigglypuff. Easy learning curve and great defensive spacing. Shiek's also good.

If Project M, probably Zelda thanks to Din's Fire.

Mike Ross was right: I swear that the longer I play SF4 online, the dumber I become. I just dropped from 2300 bp to 1200 bp in 2 hours because my IQ has dropped 50 points.

I was only suppose to play for 30 minutes last night. It turned into something like 5 hours of rage. I start losing, I get angrier. I get hit by dumb shit, I start playing dumber. My PP goes down, I want to make up for it. I lose to certain guys or in a certain way and I won't be satisfied unless I get them back and get really angry when they don't host or don't come back to my room so I tell myself their fucking cowards for dodging me.

Yeah, it's not good for my health but the only alternative most of the time late at night is PassAss, but he mains Ibuki :\

Kimosabae

Banned
Die is a Peach player for sure. Can be as lame as he needs to be and can pick his moments unless he's playing against Falco. Is relatively low execution (as far as Melee goes), can switch between zoning and rushdown and her recovery will help mitigate his bad matchups.

I can also see Sheik for similar reasons.

If Nintendo actually starts supporting the competitive scene then every damn top player will pick up the new Smash. It will be on NLBC, kill Marvel, etc

So why no Dota or League of Legends on NLBC?

Support helps, but it isn't all there is to it.

Also when he does the IAmA, try to keep the trolling/IWBTG stuff down to the lowest it can be too guys!

I don't see what else you would ask him about.

Horseress

So why no Dota or League of Legends on NLBC?

Support helps, but it isn't all there is to it.

Because [polemic quote]Smash is a fighting game[/polemic quote]

and you can't compare the player base that Smash has with the one even Marvel has. Smash always gets amazing numbers at tournaments

now thinking about it, I can see Smash WiiU taking Marvel's place on the second most entered game at tournaments, even weeklys

Because [polemic quote]Smash is a fighting game[/polemic quote]

and you can't compare the player base that Smash has with the one even Marvel has. Smash always gets amazing numbers at tournaments

now thinking about it, I can see Smash WiiU taking Marvel's place on the second most entered game at tournaments, even weeklys

We just need to hope Smash U is good

K.Sabot

Probably too late for this, but they should add mutators to endless lobby in USF4.

Stuff like no jumping / no special moves would be super fun footsie wars with the right characters.

FSLink

Banned
Probably too late for this, but they should add mutators to endless lobby in USF4.

Stuff like no jumping / no special moves would be super fun footsie wars with the right characters.

That'd be pretty fun.

I'd still rather get Edition Select online first. :(

Horseress

What tournaments does smash always get more players than marvel at?

I didn't said Smash "always" gets more players, it did got at APEX, but it's a Smash major, not a "non-smash" major like most of the other, so no, it doesn't get more players than Marvel in most tournaments both games are atm.

But, IMO, the player base is "stronger", because man, those guys are dedicated to their game, a almost 15 year old game.

You can see they walking around with big ass CRT's and gamecube's always ready to play, while Marvel players don't even go to their weeklys as frequently as before. NLBC always had great competition, now can't even have a Marvel tourney. While Smash weeklys always have good numbers.

To compare, Smash Sundays on Super Arcade always has more players than The Runback for Marvel

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Wow, everyone wants Marvel dead. Watch it creep up from around the corner after that happens.

Oh wow, awesome vids. It's interesting watching Thor because he goes for set-ups a lot.

I think Jigglypuff. Easy learning curve and great defensive spacing. Shiek's also good.

If Project M, probably Zelda thanks to Din's Fire.

My friend that I usually play with (Thor/Hulk/Nemesis) makes Thor look godlike. A grab, one touch, raw tag, he can get 1 million easily. People would be surprised that Nemesis has a lot of synergy too with Hulk. Once they see the damage, its terrifying.

Welcome to the club. When I play offline against smart players, I level up. When I go online, its where I start to throw my controller out the window.

A true test of skill.

But, IMO, the player base is "stronger", because man, those guys are dedicated to their game, a almost 15 year old game.

But that game isn't Brawl. I don't think it necessarily follows that a WiiU game will get any more love just because Nintendo throws in a few bucks.

I think there are a lot of hurdles for the new game to get over before we worry about it knocking over marvel.

Rhapsody

Banned

Happens to me too. So easy to flowchart and end up underestimating people and doing dumb stuff.

Plus I have no confidence on my footsies online and get antsy by making the first move.

Horseress

oh man, I know some people that would have a stroke trying to figure out what to do with no jumping

Wow, everyone wants Marvel dead. Watch it creep up from around the corner after that happens.

I love that fucking game, always did, but the way the game's growing to be scares me....it's already broken, in a couple of years Vergil will jump out the screen and kill my family

But that game isn't Brawl. I don't think it necessarily follows that a WiiU game will get any more love just because Nintendo throws in a few bucks.

I think there are a lot of hurdles for the new game to get over before we worry about it knocking over marvel.

Ok, I'm betting to much on the new Smash being super good. It probably won't be as good and well accepted as Melee, but it will be hard for it to be worst than Brawl

anyway, it CAN "replace" marvel as the "second" game, but we'll have to wait to know for sure. E3 is coming

Toxi

Banned
My friend that I usually play with (Thor/Hulk/Nemesis) makes Thor look godlike. A grab, one touch, raw tag, he can get 1 million easily. People would be surprised that Nemesis has a lot of synergy too with Hulk. Once they see the damage, its terrifying.
Wow, your friend's swole. :p Love the heavyweight dedication.

My friend from abroad crushes me with Hulk whenever we play. I pay so much attention to his armor that I forget to play the game properly.

I love that fucking game, always did, but the way the game's growing to be scares me....it's already broken, in a couple of years Vergil will jump out the screen and kill my family
I have no idea why this made me laugh but it did.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Omg, should I even be playing this game anymore?!?!?!

Shouta please make this his tag! ITS GLORIOUS!

Wow, your friend's swole. :p

My friend from abroad crushes me with Hulk whenever we play. I pay so much attention to his armor that I forget to play the game properly.

I have no idea why this made me laugh but it did.

Yeah, team big body with a bang. The main weakness of it is to not worry about the super armor and not get yourself in a situation that would have you worry about it.

I am reading Yams' post like it's being said by his avatar, and it's like toddhunter's avatar offers the perfect response.

Marvel isn't coming back from the grave. It's going to become a smaller and more specialized game as time goes on. The skill gap between the top 5 and everyone else is just absurd.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
They should make a Street Sharks fighting game

street_sharks_001_9594.jpg

Ryu1999

Happens to me too. So easy to flowchart and end up underestimating people and doing dumb stuff.

Plus I have no confidence on my footsies online and get antsy by making the first move.

I think I OVERESTIMATE people online in SF4. "I just DP'd him 4 times in a row, he won't immediately jump ag..." <eats jump in combo>

The thing is, when I play ST on GGPO, (or A3 back a couple years ago) I only lose consistently to people who are legitimately good so. Makes me hate this game all that much more.

Kimosabae

Banned
Smash 4 will have absolutely no problem getting more numbers than Marvel. Especially with the latter game in its current state. Even Brawl, being as close to objectively bad as it currently is, only stopped getting 50 for locals/weeklies once Project M started picking up steam within the last couple of years.

But it's not going to "replace" Marvel if that's what people mean by "knocking it over".

Kumubou

I think SSBM to SSBB is a bit of a special case, though -- I can't really think of a drop off in quality in a series that hard. Honestly, if UMvC3 was as bad as SSBB is (and while we joke about how bad of a game UMvC3 is, it's not like that), then I think you would have way more people still playing MvC2 (and a lot of people would have moved to Street Fighter or LoL or who knows what). Maybe Tekken Tag 1 to Tekken 4? What ended up happening there is that some Tekken players played the new game, some stayed with the old game and some went to the other new game Namco made around then (Soul Calibur 2). When Tekken 5 came out, everyone pretty much moved on to that (even though, in retrospect, Tekken 5 is pretty wack).

If the new Smash Bros. game is even close to Meele, it'll pull in numbers. Even in a reasonable worst case (which seems unlikely given the staff working on the game) it would probably replace Brawl. Honestly, the thing that's going to harm it the most is how badly the Wii U is doing, and that's not going to affect the hardcore crowd much (but it'll probably affect uptake of the game with more casual players -- possibly in a very severe matter, who knows).

Top Bottom