• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 28 - May 4 | The Desolation of Smug

Horseress

They should make a Street Sharks fighting game

street_sharks_001_9594.jpg

You guys have the best ideas, developers should keep an eye here

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I am reading Yams' post like it's being said by his avatar, and it's like toddhunter's avatar offers the perfect response.

Marvel isn't coming back from the grave. It's going to become a smaller and more specialized game as time goes on. The skill gap between the top 5 and everyone else is just absurd.
I still think there is a really healthy number of active B skill tier players. It will stabilize a bit because of that reason though; there simply aren't enough people that are good enough to hang. Frauding it out isn't a thing and people are beginning to realize and they're just going back to SF4.

I still think there is a really healthy number of active B skill tier players. It will stabilize a bit because of that reason though; there simply aren't enough people that are good enough to hang. Frauding it out isn't a thing and people are beginning to realize and they're just going back to SF4.
People just play what gets updated. New stuff reinvigorates the spirit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
People just play what gets updated. New stuff reinvigorates the spirit.
Not a problem for Smash though, evidently.

It's true though, the barrier to entry gets steeper without updates, and Marvel's barrier to entry isn't really friendly to begin with, never has been.

It's true though, the barrier to entry gets steeper without updates, and Marvel's barrier to entry isn't really friendly to begin with, never has been.
Smash Brawl did reinvigorate spirits. But the game was released first in Japan, and Smash players in Japan warned the west about the game's quality. Folks went into the game with mixed feelings. Hope that it would turn out better than those before us had said, worry that they were right. Worldwide releases are so important for fighting games.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
WTF guys? Seriously? We're gonna add humanoid sharks, mice from mars, gargoyles, anime cats and 3-d fighters all into one? If I hadn't known anything before hand about this thread I would have assumed __________________
(insert joke here)

Melee reinvigorates the spirit after Brawl nearly kills it :p

Dahbomb

I am reading Yams' post like it's being said by his avatar, and it's like toddhunter's avatar offers the perfect response.

Marvel isn't coming back from the grave. It's going to become a smaller and more specialized game as time goes on. The skill gap between the top 5 and everyone else is just absurd.
While most of this is true there are a few points I contend with:

1) Marvel isn't in the grave yet. IMO for a game to be truly dead it has to be not featured at EVO or most majors. By that definition it's no where close to being dead. I swear we have this same conversation every week right after NLBC.

2) The skill gap while wide now is still shrinking as time goes. The gods are now peaking (except Justin because he's Justin) and the players below them are gaining on them. Players like RayRay, Cloud, Clockwork and Apologyman are on the cusp. I feel like players like these just need to travel more to get more exposure and get more wins under their belts. I agree with Clockwork in his blog in that while there are gods in MVC3 now it's no where near as defined as it was in MVC2.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Smash Brawl did reinvigorate spirits. But the game was released first in Japan, and Smash players in Japan warned the west about the game's quality. Folks went into the game with mixed feelings. Hope that it would turn out better than those before us said, worry that they were right. Worldwide releases are so important for fighting games.
You think Brawl reinvigorated people to play Melee though?

I guess Project M and all the other fan balancing projects wouldn't be a thing without Brawl.

vulva

I'm assuming fchamp is in that top 5?

I'll put 200 bucks on Nemo to beat him in the MM. If the skill gap is that absurd, there's no reason to not take my money for free.

Dahbomb

I'm assuming fchamp is in that top 5?

I'll put 200 bucks on Nemo to beat him in the MM. If the skill gap is that absurd, there's no reason to not take my money for free.
I will take you for 70 bucks on that (as that's how much is on my Paypal right now).

Team FChamp checking in!

You think Brawl reinvigorated people to play Melee though?

I guess Project M and all the other fan balancing projects wouldn't be a thing without Brawl.
I honestly don't know how the Brawl to Melee transfer went for newbies. Maybe Kimo has some insight there.

Prototype

As far as Marvel "stabilizing" into a smaller group of players who can actually compete I think the only real solution is something that probably won't happen.

More characters.

For a 3v3 game, UMvC3 just doesn't have enough characters to mix things up. The cast should have been 60, especially after the "Ultimate" update a few years ago. 48 characters in a tag team game is barely cutting it. It just sad that USF4 will have 44, almost as many and it's a 1v1 game. The reason i feel this is part of the issue is that with only 48 characters total the possible combinations of strongest teams are found out much faster. If there were 12 more characters in UMvC3 that would not only be 12 extra characters to play but also their assists, and both would figure into the meta, on top of the current cast and their assists.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
As far as Marvel "stabilizing" into a smaller group of players who can actually compete I think the only real solution is something that probably won't happen.

More characters.

For a 3v3 game, UMvC3 just doesn't have enough characters to mix things up. The cast should have been 60, especially after the "Ultimate" update a few years ago. 48 characters in a tag team game is barely cutting it. It just sad that USF4 will have 44, almost as many and it's a 1v1 game. The reason i feel this is part of the issue is that with only 48 characters total the possible combinations of strongest teams are found out much faster. If there were 12 more characters in UMvC3 that would not only be 12 extra characters to play but also their assists, and both would figure into the meta, on top of the current cast and their assists.
So... more characters because damn near 50 isn't cutting it is a better solution than just better balance? More characters being added to the pool just to have more to pick and choose ones that invalidate others is not a solution.

You're crazy. 48 characters is a lot for any game.

Dahbomb

Yea I heavily disagree with adding more characters. It's way better to just attempt to balance and give characters much better support tools. Team numbers will triple or quadruple in an instant.

Like imagine if all you did to Deadpool was change his Trigger Happy H assist to Trigger Happy L assist. Suddenly you have a low profile non duckable fast projectile assist that many characters can use. Deadpool's usage triples instantly.

Edit: Vulva I shake on it.

Toxi

Banned

More characters.

I don't think it's the character number that's the issue, I think the issue is how unbalanced assists are. Some characters just have garbage assists like Spider-Man, forcing them to be good on point or not good at all. When a character is competing against assists like Jam Session or Hidden Missiles, it needs something crazy strong. Tron and Haggar would still be played if they had their vanilla Lariat and fire attacks.

Adding more characters who can't really compete or add anything to a team (Like Phoenix Wright) doesn't make the game any more diverse.

EDIT: Lol looks like everyone else said this better before me.

Infinite

That post just made me realize that I kinda want a Street Fighter than contains all the street fighter characters from every series in one. Probably as some sort of f2p game. It would suck but I can see myself buying a 3rd strike pack to get Alex Sean and others in the hypothetical game.

Toxi

Banned
That post just made me realize that I kinda want a Street Fighter than contains all the street fighter characters from every series in one. Probably as some sort of f2p game. It would suck but I can see myself buying a 3rd strike pack to get Alex Sean and others in the hypothetical game.
Mugen? :p

It sucks that Alex isn't in Ultra Street Fighter IV; he feels like the biggest name character who's missing.

Infinite

It sucks that Alex isn't in Ultra Street Fighter IV; he feels like the biggest name character who's missing.
Mugen sucks. I mean something that's actually fun and attempts some form of balance. Maybe a 2v2 system and a lot more fast paced than Sf4. Maybe something that's like alpha 3 but improved.

There are a TON of characters from 3rd strike that we would of wanted in this game, Oro, Q, Urien, Twelve(Aka Blanka 2.0) Sean and more!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
While I agree, all this does is remind me how badly Capcom is screwing the pooch on SF right now.

Dahbomb

Thank you Kaneblueriver, I am now stealing this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE9Vw28k4gE#t=469
That hail mary maneuver cost him the game. Two bars and XF just to catch Magneto is super costly especially if you have to deal with XF Dorm stocked with meter afterwards.

While I agree, all this does is remind me how badly Capcom is screwing the pooch on SF right now.
Seems like they are doing fine with the game. It's really SFV that they have to worry about.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
That hail mary maneuver cost him the game. Two bars and XF just to catch Magneto is super costly especially if you have to deal with XF Dorm stocked with meter afterwards.

yeah i was going to say this, FChamp's mags isn't the problem and spending that much resource on removing him is silly. it's a cute idea, but not necessarily a good one.

El Sabroso

What is the Smash equivalent of

sf-guilev8je8.gif

or

morrigan-projectileiukjx.gif

?

Isn't it obvious?

180px-jigglypuff_backmxjb2.gif

since Melee Falco being lame with lasers seems to make sence to Guile or Morrigan projectile control, Samus and Link are also designed to play like that. However Jigglypuff seems right in the playstyle even without projectiles, which Metaknight can also do a great job being lame

smurfx

get some go again
They should make a Street Sharks fighting game

street_sharks_001_9594.jpg

Throw in swat cats while we're at it.

and

Gargoyles%2BManhattan%2BClan%2B-%2BG%25C3%25A1rgolas%2BNueva%2BYork.jpg

because who could say no to playing as a Keith David voiced Goliath?

If we're gonna go cats, might as well go anime

wNWxzad.png

And a 3D fighter to boot

Reboot.jpg

add darkwing duck, ninja turtles, mighty max, heathcliff and call it saturday morning all stars. this would be the best game of all time.

Dahbomb

You have one hope - that Sony moneyhatted him as a timed console exclusive for USF4. :p
Why do you want Sony to money hat fighting games so badly? It's not even worth money hatting for them since they are in the lead and fighting games aren't that big to money hat.

The money used to money hat an exclusive character for the 4th iteration of a fighting game is better spent money hatting marketing for bigger games like Destiny.

kirblar

Why do you want Sony to money hat fighting games so badly? It's not even worth money hatting for them since they are in the lead and fighting games aren't that big to money hat.

The money used to money hat an exclusive character for the 4th iteration of a fighting game is better spent money hatting marketing for bigger games like Destiny.
Because we know Capcom won't spend the money? :)

Also you'll note I always ask for them to money hat ridiculously improbable things. Like VS/DS 4 or extra USF4 characters.

Shouta

ggs Yams but you're way too dependent on SPD. You should use your other tools more. Lots of YOLO in there. I was trying to space you out but I kept getting hit because I wasn't as far back as I thought because of the online, lol.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Damn, I'm salty. GG's Shouta. I got to predictable with the command grabs. I would have thought since I had sibberean blizzard, you would have respected it... Damn.

ggs Yams but you're way too dependent on SPD. You should use your other tools more. Lots of YOLO in there. I was trying to space you out but I kept getting hit because I wasn't as far back as I thought because of the online, lol.

The light spd has a pretty broken range which was why I used it. Its getting nerfed in ultra so yeah.... I would use my other tools if I wasn't getting snuffed by your heavy kick... That thing has range and speed.

Top Bottom