• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 28 - May 4 | The Desolation of Smug

Shouta

Damn, I'm salty. GG's Shouta. I got to predictable with the command grabs. I would have thought since I had sibberean blizzard, you would have respected it... Damn.

The light spd has a pretty broken range which was why I used it. Its getting nerfed in ultra so yeah.... I would use my other tools if I wasn't getting snuffed by your heavy kick... That thing has range and speed.

Nah, even if you had U2, you're never in a position to use it on the defense. You almost always hit it on an offensive gamble which worked because I was doing random shit lol or got something else other than what I wanted.

Your AA timings are really off and you really don't have any footsies. Granted footsies against T.hawk can be bad for gief but you should try to ground attack more on the offense and then sharpen your defense. I don't think you hit me with a defensive Lariat when splashed you.

Light SPD works really well online but not so much in person unless you've got more mix-ups to go with it. Gotta rememebr that when you do casuals in person. Also T.hawk's st.hk is like -infinity on block and takes forever to recovery. You should still be able to do something like an ex-green hand in afterwards.

Having Gief's U2 means nothing unless you show that you're willing to use it. I'll jump in on Gief all day if he hasn't given me a reason to fear him.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Conditioning your opponent is so important for a grappler character, you can't assume anything. CH some stuff to make em scared

Shouta

Having Gief's U2 means nothing unless you show that you're willing to use it. I'll jump in on Gief all day if he hasn't given me a reason to fear him.

Yeah, more or less. I hit splash a lot in that set, probably way more than I should have. Gotta do something to stop it.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Nah, even if you had U2, you're never in a position to use it on the defense. You almost always hit it on an offensive gamble which worked because I was doing random shit lol or got something else other than what I wanted.

Your AA timings are really off and you really don't have any footsies. Granted footsies against T.hawk can be bad for gief but you should try to ground attack more on the offense and then sharpen your defense. I don't think you hit me with a defensive Lariat when splashed you.

Nah, I was spamming lariat since I was scared of your spd. Caught me a couple of times during our first few matches so that was the quickest temporary solution
sadly

You are definitely right on ground attacking more, it was pretty weak on my end. The only reason my defense was horrible cause I was scared shitless with your spd setups so I spammed lariat.... Next time I should block. Hope we can play again.

There were a couple occasions where I got Shouta (one missed with him in the air, I was confused...) with it and I thought I had him grounded but T. Hawk doesn't respect the Russian skies BibleThump

Damn, I'm salty. GG's Shouta. I got to predictable with the command grabs. I would have thought since I had sibberean blizzard, you would have respected it... Damn.

The light spd has a pretty broken range which was why I used it. Its getting nerfed in ultra so yeah.... I would use my other tools if I wasn't getting snuffed by your heavy kick... That thing has range and speed.

Basically for what I heard the best way to play Gief is to make them THINK your going to SPD when you are not going to SPD, basically you want to use SPD as a mindgame tool, scare them to make them THINK you are going to use it.

EDIT: T. Hawk? Hmm, do not know the match up at all with Gief, I just know that T. Hawk has a slight advance over Gief because T. Hawk has better pokes then Gief.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Basically for what I heard the best way to play Gief is to make them THINK your going to SPD when you are not going to SPD, basically you want to use SPD as a mindgame tool, scare them to make them THINK you are going to use it.

Also, you should see what you can do to against that heavy kick. I am guessing he was using Adon? Basically you want to try to read that tool and see if you can counterpoke him with something, like with s.MP or use EX Green Hand maybe. Or you can look for different matches that show the Gief vs Adon match and see what the gief player does against the matchup at all.

Even worse than Adon. I have an easy time with Adon's, its T. Hawk he played. s. MP is the answer if he whiffs it and I catch him on the punish. EX green hand is kinda hard since its online and my reactions would have to be pretty godlike for that (which they are not).

I plan to research again on some sf4 matches, wonder why I haven't done that in the first place and just steal tech.

Shouta

Nah, I was spamming lariat since I was scared of your spd. Caught me a couple of times during our first few matches so that was the quickest temporary solution
sadly

You are definitely right on ground attacking more, it was pretty weak on my end. The only reason my defense was horrible cause I was scared shitless with your spd setups so I spammed lariat.... Next time I should block. Hope we can play again.

There were a couple occasions where I got Shouta (one missed with him in the air, I was confused...) with it and I thought I had him grounded but T. Hawk doesn't respect the Russian skies BibleThump

I don't really SPD much anymore outside of certain situations. I only did it in that match because you were using them everywhere and mashing it online beats precise button pressure, especially with throw boxes as big as T.hawk's. It's also a liability against all other characters so I rely on Hawk's buttons for a more of my damage aside from free SPDs or the occasional one to mix it up. I've won tournament matches up here without using a Single SPD, U1 aside, lol.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I don't really SPD much anymore outside of certain situations. I only did it in that match because you were using them everywhere and mashing it online beats precise button pressure, especially with throw boxes as big as T.hawk's. It's also a liability against all other characters so I rely on Hawk's buttons for a more of my damage aside from free SPDs or the occasional one to mix it up. I've won tournament matches up here without using a Single SPD, U1 aside, lol.

I only mashed lariat a lot, most of SPD's on my end were planned but precise button precise can be a hassle online. If you ever wanna do SF PC, I'm on that too since the game and online is much more smoother.

Toxi

Banned
it seems like small characters would be really good, are they?
Depends. Kirby's small and light and he's one of the worst in the game, but Bowser's also one of the worst and he's the largest of the cast. The top tier tends to be made up more of fast characters, with Captain Falcon as the heaviest and Jigglypuff as the lightest.

Biggest threats in Melee are Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, Jigglypuff, Peach, Captain Falcon, and the Ice Climbers. All of those characters are fast in some way and have the ability to KO at low %s. Some also have highly abusable tools, like Fox and Falcos' reflector (1 frame, reflects projectiles, hits in desirable way to either hit away from a ledge [Fox] or into a combo [Falco], jump cancelable which also means wavedash cancelable).

Ganondorf's also pretty popular and he's huge.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
As an aside, every character in VF is a "grappler" because that's more a style of play than a predisposed character archetype in the game. Some characters have more tools than others, though, like low throws which beat fuzzy guard and catch throws which are inescapable.

One option that many characters have is the ability to guard cancel their 5K. Looks like this, great way to get your opponent to start blocking so you can chuck 'em.

ibnfiQfvuP2Wjs.gif

Xevren

As an aside, every character in VF is a "grappler" because that's more a style of play than a predisposed character archetype in the game. Some characters have more tools than others, though, like low throws which beat fuzzy guard and catch throws which are inescapable.

One option that many characters have is the ability to guard cancel their 5K. Looks like this, great way to get your opponent to start blocking so you can chuck 'em.

ibnfiQfvuP2Wjs.gif

I'll always remember the kick shimmy when Haunts used to stream VF forever ago. Kamais would just taunt him so much with it lol.

What we really need is a gif of Goh's half wall throw. The best.

alstein

Noticing it's really hard to SPD players who are looking for it, trying to get better at setting up buttons myself to use for it.

That said, doing well enough online with it that I'm seeing Blanka more than I'd like now.

Benslammin

Neo Member
Man, I am finally coming off the 3s train which has been dead for some time now, but I was always able to squeeze in matches here and there with supercade and GGPO. Now I am finally picking up SF4 for real now (I tried a few times earlier with each new installment but I couldn't find friends to play with to ease me in) and now I am finally just going to do it for Ultra.

But damn, it's really really hard to get accustomed to it. I was never really able to pull it off because of the more fast paced, cutthroat style of Third Strike. Now I finally winning a few matches here and there as Makoto in ranked on PC but I still can't get used to the feeling of the engine and the timing of things, even just playing as shotos. However, I still have fun when I play with friends because I am not taking winning or losing as seriously, but I don't think I will ever be able to get serious like I was in 3s. Anyone else feel this way?

Here's hoping SF5 will be a bit more like Third Strike in terms of gameplay style at least.

pixelish

house lannister = emp
sanford = joffrey
triforce = tywin
dieminion = tyrion
cdjr = cersei
can't think of anyone who is similar to jamie.

OceanBlue

Haha, the Japanese stream monsters went crazy when Kubo got on stream. Apparently he's playing Hugo. He also pulled off an amazing comeback against Reiketsu.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I love that fucking game, always did, but the way the game's growing to be scares me....it's already broken, in a couple of years Vergil will jump out the screen and kill my family

Probably

And when you post about it on neogaf, dahbomb will tell you how somebody already found that tech months ago

Beckx

I searched the term scrub on this site http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/scrub?s=t

For the adjective meaning, it means inferior and insignificant.

Yeah, I have a thing for Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey & Maturin novels (if you saw the movie Master & Commander, it was loosely based on two of those books), and they are always referring to stupid, base, and incompetent naval officers as scrubs. That's why I laughed earlier in the week when Kimosabae insisted it wasn't an insult, heh.

Nidhogg coming to PS4. This game has a chance at a competitive life now! [if TOs have/get PS4s]

This is great news. PS4 going to a have great lineup of local competitive multiplayer games. Towerfall, Nidhogg, BaraBariBall (cannot WAIT for this one, using the PC beta is a bit fiddly b/c you have to use JoyToKey for sticks).

LOL. Well she's already merged with Fei-Yen to blow up super robots so why not.

Top Bottom