• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 28 - May 4 | The Desolation of Smug

The Flash

Banned
You really don't know who Daigo is do you? He's the guy that made EVO moment +37 what it is.

I know. It's insane that he got his butt handed to him on a platter like that. It's almost midnight where I'm at so my last post may not have been as enthusiastic because I'm starting to wind down.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I like anime, are you going to banish me?

Yeah, to the shadow realm.

please, it's not even that bad here
and there are more important things

The fuq? Who the hell banished you? Can you at least play Marvel in this desolate place?

I know. It's insane that he got his butt handed to him on a platter like that. It's almost midnight where I'm at so my last post may not have been as enthusiastic because I'm starting to wind down.

Yeah man no worries. Recuperate and prepare for the trial that will be this weekend cause hype will be at every corner.

vulva

This got me thinking, and I know this discussion's happened before in here, but which players do you usually fanboy over?

I have no shame in admitting I'm a big Haitani, Sako, Nemo, Marlinpie, Xiao Hai, Nuki and Vivi fan. I am always at full attention if any of them are playing when I'm either watching a stream or at a tournament in person. I'm also always convincing myself they'll win even when it's not at all even close to likely in some cases.

Westlo

You really don't know who Daigo is do you? He's the guy that made EVO moment +37 what it is.

Man fuck that moment, poongko wrecking an in form daigo using the strongest character >>>>> out of form daigo beating someone he should anyway just in some flashy way before getting bodied by nuki or whoever.

i guess I took on DC fight in the smash thread.

I am kind of "WTF" at this post in regards to wave dashing

1) It looks stupid. A character's just standing there, and then they're suddenly sliding across the stage. It looks absolutely ridiculous.

2) I like to play competitively, but I just frankly can't move my fingers fast enough to utilize wavedashing. Maybe this is a selfish reason, but I don't really care. Admittedly, I'd probably get my ass kicked anyway with or without wavedashing because I'm not very good, but I'd rather get my ass kicked knowing that I'm utilizing the same toolset as the other person instead of knowing that they have a tool that they can use and I can't.

mbpm1

This got me thinking, and I know this discussion's happened before in here, but which players do you usually fanboy over?

I always root for Sako or Daigo in AE. I'm also eager to see Smug and ryan Hart win.

In Marvel I like Jwong and Nemo, can't hate on those guys. Apologyman is becoming a favorite too. Cloud is cool.

But then Poongko got devastated by Latif.

Wish I was into fighting games then and could have seen that tourney, people getting bodied left and right.

kirblar

The people that like Wavedashing like it because it gives them a competitive edge over people who can't that makes them feel good because it strokes their ego.

It is stupid, and it is something that shouldn't be in future titles.

hitsugi

Man fuck that moment, poongko wrecking an in form daigo using the strongest character >>>>> out of form daigo beating someone he should anyway just in some flashy way before getting bodied by nuki or whoever.

Damn, haha. 3s finals that year were actually really hype, and being there in person for that moment was something else. I don't think the energy in that room has been matched.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
if you are playing VF
and are not from Japan

i'm rooting for you.

GT being absent from sega cup on saturday was a shame. but at least dosha got 5th.

Dahbomb

I don't knoe why people pay so much attention to random posters in Smash threads.

Anyway I fanboy over Justin Wong and Tokido in any game they play. Tokido is the definitive "gotta play the CHHEEEEAAAAPP stuff" and I love that about him. I love watching PRRog play AE because he goes ham with a character that isn't really known for going ham.

The people that like Wavedashing like it because it gives them a competitive edge over people who can't that makes them feel good because it strokes their ego.

Thats like saying "the people that like kara throws/plink dashing/plinking/crossups/option selects like it because it gives them a competitive edge over people who can't that makes them feel good because it strokes their ego."

kirblar

Thats like saying "the people that like kara throws/plink dashing/plinking/crossups/option selects like it because it gives them a competitive edge over people who can't that makes them feel good because it strokes their ego."
None of those things are in "obnoxious glitch that will be fixed in next game" territory.

mbpm1

Well I do feel good getting Kara throws off.

You posted in the wrong thread.

also I warned you Ragingnight....*sigh*

Dahbomb

None of those things are in "obnoxious glitch that will be fixed in next game" territory.
Wave dashing isn't a glitch it's a technique. They didn't remove wave dashing from Tekken or Marvel after all this time.

Although I don't know how wave dashing applies in Smash but for those games it's not a glitch.

Wave dashing isn't a glitch it's a technique. They didn't remove wave dashing from Tekken or Marvel after all this time.

Although I don't know how wave dashing applies in Smash but for those games it's not a glitch.

It's not even particularly useful in Melee anyway, although if you listened to casuals you'd think it was some insta-win technique.

kirblar

They call it an "advanced technique"

It's really a glitch that you have to do a bizarre combination of things to do.

Wavedashing in Marvel/Tekken is in there by design. Things like Kara and OSes are accidental consequences of the input systems. It's like saying the DHC glitch should have stayed in UMVC3.

Infinite

Wave dashing isn't really a glitch persay but it's essentially the animation for when your character air dodges along the ground.

RedEther

Someone should have the Guts to take him down.

tumblr_inline_mmpzl3lILi1qz4rgp.gif

Dahbomb

Well then I don't know what wave dashing in Smash is so it's pointless for me to talk about it any further.

I just don't agree with the reasoning that "it's something I can't do and gives an edge to players who can do it... so it should be removed".

wave dashing in smash as far as I understood it as a clever use of game mechanics.

It involved canceling your air dodge animation with the landing animation as far as I understood it. Not really an "exploit" but more so that it was simply overlooked.

kirblar

Well then I don't know what wave dashing in Smash is so it's pointless for me to talk about it any further.

I just don't agree with the reasoning that "it's something I can't do and gives an edge to players who can do it... so it should be removed".
I'm saying it's something that's obviously either going to be removed completely in future installments (which it was) or changed into regular wavedashing a la Tekken/Marvel. (the latter being unlikely given Smash's general desgn.) People expecting it to stay intact in future installments are just getting butthurt that they don't have that piece of execution to lord over other people with and are delusional about game design in general.

Wave dashing makes Melee and Marvel beautiful to watch. And we all know the only thing that matters in life is looks.

STYLE ABOVE ALL!

HAIL KYOHEI!

Infinite

wave dashing in smash as far as I understood it as a clever use of game mechanics.

It involved canceling your air dodge animation with the landing animation as far as I understood it. Not really an "exploit" but more so that it was simply overlooked.

Pretty much.

I'm saying it's something that's obviously either going to be removed completely in future installments (which it was) or changed into regular wavedashing a la Tekken/Marvel. (the latter being unlikely given Smash's general desgn.) People expecting it to stay intact in future installments are just getting butthurt that they don't have that piece of execution to lord over other people with and are delusional about game design in general.

You are in the wrong thread.

Top Bottom