• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 7-13 | Smash our expectations

Beats

I'm pretty damned hyped for Smash now. I'm a bit disappointed that the Wii U version is releasing in the Winter though. I'll probably get both versions.. :x

13726008703_fe531d549b_o.gif

wait where the fuck's Mega Man ZX?

JeTmAn81

EDIT: ENZO! THAT GIF UP THERE IS WHAT WE CALL A GODDAMN MEGAMAN HOMAGE. NOT THAT SFXT SHIT!

I thought it was incredible how far Sakurai went to let everyone know he is taking competitive players seriously:

1) Final Destination "mode" for online play.
2) Stage alterations for more competitive play.
3) Several random elements removed, such as Dedede's projectile throws.
4) No more forced character changes; full movesets for all characters (Charizard over Pokemon Trainer's stamina mechanic).
5) Deep movesets that require high execution, like Rosalina.
6) Going out of his way to tell Wii U Smash buyers to get a wired connection (WOW!)

I saw this and thought of you. Thinking of me.

Dahbomb

Pokemon characters are the new Batman characters apparently.

Anyone else laugh at the "Play for Fun" and "Play for Glory" segment. Sounds like Final Destination only, no items will be standard tournament rules for competitive Smash. At least they gave different Final Destination tilesets.

Pokemon characters are the new Batman characters apparently.

Anyone else laugh at the "Play for Fun" and "Play for Glory" segment. Sounds like Final Destination only, no items will be standard tournament rules for competitive Smash. At least they gave different Final Destination tilesets.

No, that's not gonna happen. FD is actually less neutral than a handful of other stages in both Melee and Brawl. I wish that it wasn't FD only for the "For Glory" mode, but at least the aesthetics change up.

Horseress

EDIT: ENZO! THAT GIF UP THERE IS WHAT WE CALL A GODDAMN MEGAMAN HOMAGE. NOT THAT SFXT SHIT!

I thought it was incredible how far Sakurai went to let everyone know he is taking competitive players seriously:

1) Final Destination "mode" for online play.
2) Stage alterations for more competitive play.
3) Several random elements removed, such as Dedede's projectile throws.
4) No more forced character changes; full movesets for all characters (Charizard over Pokemon Trainer's stamina mechanic).
5) Deep movesets that require high execution, like Rosalina.
6) Going out of his way to tell Wii U Smash buyers to get a wired connection (WOW!)

Those stage alterations are for offline play too? Like the "Final Destination mode"? It wasn't clear to me at least

Dahbomb

No, that's not gonna happen. FD is actually less neutral than a handful of other stages in both Melee and Brawl. I wish that it wasn't FD only for the "For Glory" mode, but at least the aesthetics change up.
I don't know if that is what will happen but that seems to be how Nintendo is pushing it. Like "For Glory" mode obviously appears to be their form of Ranked play with a stricter rule set. Wouldn't be surprised if they compile balancing data for competitive Smash from that mode.

Also anyone else think the 3DS version is going to be the beta testing version for the Wii U?

kirblar

The 3DS version is not going to be able to fit its char select screen on one page.

Watch EVO next year have 2 Nintendo games in the lineup (Smash/Pokken)

kirblar

Nintendo is not familiar with shrinking character portrait icons?

This post makes no sense to me.
There's a limit to how far down you'd want to shrink them. Having multiple panes you slide between makes more sense than making everything super-tiny.

Busaiku

The roster is going to be pretty ridiculous at this rate. I'm not even sure 2 would be enough.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition had 35 characters on 1 screen.
Top screen has the portraits, bottom screen has the customization options, simple.

SAY IT ENZO! SAY IT! SAY THAT THIS IS A TRUE MEGAMAN CROSSOVER HOMAGE!

I saw this and thought of you. Thinking of me.
Damn straight. You best wire up your hypothetical Wii U!

Those stage alterations are for offline play too? Like the "Final Destination mode"? It wasn't clear to me at least
He didn't explicitly say. But it sure would be odd to make all of those stage alterations only for online play.

so they bring in a fucking ninja frog and leave out mewtwo.

fuck you sakurai.

F
U
C
K

Y
O
U
Why do you think Mewtwo is out?

Smash 4 looks so godlike.

I think it was a mistake to not potentially try and get the Wii U version out by Summer, but hopefully Nintendo comes to Evo in some form with it.

I really hope it'll be competitive (certainly seems that way from what footage has shown) and if it comes out before Apex next year it'll be really interesting to see what happens with it (assuming it gets in).

Beckx

Smash 4 looks so godlike.

I think it was a mistake to not potentially try and get the Wii U version out by Summer, but hopefully Nintendo comes to Evo in some form with it.

I really hope it'll be competitive (certainly seems that way from what footage has shown) and if it comes out before Apex next year it'll be really interesting to see what happens with it (assuming it gets in).

I'm still stunned it may not be out til next March. Crazy.

Beckx

Well they said Summer for 3DS and Winter for Wii U

Unless you're making jokes about Brawl delays lol

Unless they are using winter very loosely, the window is Dec 21, 2014 to March 20, 2015, though.

When game companies use "winter" instead of "holiday", it almost always means Jan/Feb/Mar.

Riposte

What have they described for friend play? I'm guess no spectator or lobbies.

EDIT: Also I really hope that Kyoto vs Tokyo wasn't suppose to alleviate our fears of netcode. No in the US cares if you can have a decent match on your tiny sci-fi island.

I don't know if that is what will happen but that seems to be how Nintendo is pushing it. Like "For Glory" mode obviously appears to be their form of Ranked play with a stricter rule set. Wouldn't be surprised if they compile balancing data for competitive Smash from that mode.

While that may be true, what Nintendo considers competitive and what the Smash community considers competitive are not necessarily the same thing (unless Nintendo starts sponsoring tournaments, which is actually a legitimate possibility now).

I'm actually surprised the Nintendo went with something that strict, but like I said, at least the stages are different aesthetically, so I can't fault them too much for being conservative here.

Top Bottom