• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 7-13 | Smash our expectations

K.Sabot

So post direct, I'm feeling pretty cold on the new smash.

Looks slow and floaty, and before you go "every fighting game looks slow before it comes out" I had the same reaction to brawl pre-release.

Kimosabae

Banned
So post direct, I'm feeling pretty cold on the new smash.

Looks slow and floaty, and before you go "every fighting game looks slow before it comes out" I had the same reaction to brawl pre-release.

It looks slow, floaty, and dated as fuck.

I'll wait until the community gets their hands on it at E3 before I dismiss it completely. Maybe its time Nintendo and I part ways for good.

no don't go
why? so we can play "let's quote the shitty posts":

Well it's a good thing Nintendo isn't banking on "gamers" for anything, as they say that vote of confidence with all their "hardcore" focused games on the Wii, the one system they were bound to happen anyways. And Metroid Trilogy still couldn't outsell a single platformer.

Why would Nintendo continue focusing on people who have already dropped them, along with publishers, do to their image. And let's also not forget that Nintendo has more money than the lot of them, so why would they change to suit such a small subset?

People forget, the PS2 got it's sales record because it was selling at $99 dollars. That means there are a ton of people who didn't even grab the PS3 or Xbox360, and are waiting for them to drop in price. To think everyone is clamoring for online in everything is ridiculous, when the statistics don't even support it.

Saw this and and thought of this, very quick and easy!

ibFL72YbuGtou.gif

OceanBlue

I'm like more excited for the new smash after the direct but then again I'm more or less expecting another brawl.

Same. I'm really wary of judging games until two or three weeks after release though. If I remember correctly, P4U one week in looked REALLY different than P4U two or three months in.

Kimosabae

Banned
Gems done right?

Can Gems be done right?

It just seems to add a layer of complexity that no one is asking for. Regarding this series in particular.

It's a cool feature on the surface, but I'm not sure I want to sift through months of volatile meta-refinement a la MvC3 if people let this rock in tournaments. Not to say I'd play this game competitively, but if it becomes the tournament standard, I'll have to deal with it in casuals.

I need more information. It could be dismissed by the competitive scene out of the gate, and shrivel up into a half-baked afterthought, or it could make the game really painful to learn. I guess we'll see.

Coda

I'll probably buy smash no matter what. But I think releasing two different versions at different times is not smart for Nintendo, it's once again confusing general consumers. And yeah it just looks too slow right now. But yeah it may be different once you're playing it.

But the production value is there and I like the casual mode and rank online mode split.

Can Gems be done right?

It just seems to add a layer of complexity that no one is asking for. Regarding this series in particular.

It's a cool feature on the surface, but I'm not sure I want to sift through months of volatile meta-refinement a la MvC3 if people let this rock in tournaments. Not to say I'd play this game competitively, but if it becomes the tournament standard, I'll have to deal with it in casuals.

I need more information. It could be dismissed by the competitive scene out of the gate, and shrivel up into a half-baked afterthought, or it could make the game really painful to learn. I guess we'll see.

Dissidia did customization right.

just sayin

I'll probably buy smash no matter what. But I think releasing two different versions at different times is not smart for Nintendo, it's once again confusing general consumers. And yeah it just looks too slow right now. But yeah it may be different once you're playing it.

But the production value is there and I like the casual mode and rank online mode split.
It makes sense if what they said about customization and transferring between modes is true. Give people time to build up the 3DS version's collections and items, etc. Then when the Wii U version comes out, they get rewarded with all the stuff they can transfer over.

It sucks for people who aren't interested in it, clearly. But for people who wanna dive in deep, it makes sense.
How? This is just a reaction gif of someone getting called out
I just don't think it works. But whatever.

Riposte

I think the power-up mode (Smash Run?) doesn't carry over. You are reset once the final match is over.

Didn't Dissidia have grinding and level ups? If so, bleh on that being customizing done right.

vocab

I remember just staring at the arcana screen when I first started. I have never been so baffled at a selection menu in my life before that point, good lord.
But its awesome as hell. Adds a lot to a character/complements a certain play style. That's what ono tried to do, but its just executed poorly.

Move customization is basically Edition Edition anyways

Aka I can't wait to make my character really good and not tell my friends and they won't know and I'll make every other character shit

Well, explain, please. Why does it work well and I can I expect something similar in the next Smash? I know nothing of Dissidia.

The control scheme in Dissidia is very similar to Smash. You've got 4 directions + Triangle or Square for moves. Most characters will have more moves than can possibly fit in each "slot," so you've got to make a choice with said characters. Cloud for example has Fire, Fira, and Firaga in his movepool, and they each have different speeds, damage, and range. People make several movesets that fit with how they want to use that character in a certain matchup, and Dissidia helps this by having room to save 4-5 builds for each character. On the character/stage select screen, you're given the choice of which build you want to use before the fight starts. "Oh hey, I'm facing Jecht and he's gonna be in my face like, 90% of the match. Better use this set."

There is also an equipment system and an ability system. Equipment is pretty self-explanatory; 4 slots (weapon, chest, helmet, special), with stat bonuses ranging from minimal (HP increases, etc) to set bonuses from having a matching set of everything (increase in damage, extended EX Mode, decrease the opponent's meter, etc). The ability system is slightly more complicated, but not much. You can equip abilities that can alter how you and your opponent approach the fight. Some are for your own character's movement (increasing the number of jumps, dashing speed, dashing direction), and others are for actions taken/not taken (decreasing your opponent's Brave if they do not attack). For a little while, Dissidia tournaments chose to not use any equipment and just use "naked" characters for fights, but it ended up screwing certain characters from the get-go (Gabranth). After some tests, the tournament ruleset changed to let everything rock except for certain equipment pieces (which were INTENDED to be busted).

The reason it works well is because despite how big or small the movepool is for a certain character, or what equipment they use, or what abilities they have, it's never hard to switch sets and it's never complicated to apply to a fight. It's all easy to use, and if it ever somehow becomes confusing, the game also includes a very helpful, deep, and easy to understand Tutorial menu which you can access on any screen (and even defaults to a specific part of the tutorial depending on which screen you're on). Your builds also would never overlap with your opponent;if you purposely made Sephiroth a shit character in your copy, it wouldn't affect your fight with your opponent's copy during the match. That's something that SFxT failed miserably on: there was no way for you to bring your own gem set with you to a local match.

I don't know how deep the customization is gonna go in Smash 4 (from the Direct, it seemed like you can only really alter the properties of moves for some characters, and not really switch moves entirely, but I also wasn't paying full attention), but if it can work like how Dissidia does it, then it shouldn't be an issue. And even then, it's a separate mode. Not like it's gonna detract from the tournament scene if the mode ends up being a bust.

Didn't Dissidia have grinding and level ups? If so, bleh on that being customizing done right.
It did. But saves weren't locked, so you could download a complete save and be done with it. Not that grinding was difficult anyways, but I understand the frustration.

Kimosabae

Banned
Kimo, using Mario's three fireballs as an example, tell me why customization is bad.

The problem is that it's not just 3 versions of Mario's Fireball - it's x many versions of Mario's Up/Down/Forward B's pitted against potentially just as many permutations regarding the rest of the roster. Just like team construction in Marvel, every adjustment is a new character/team. I don't want Marvel in my Smash Bros.

That's an arbitrary restriction that doesn't illustrate my actual apprehension towards customizations. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying I don't think I want it. But I won't know until I get more information and I actually play the game.

It can definitely be dismissed as an "Old Man Yelling At Clouds" thing at this point. I won't begrudge that.

Shouta

Man, David's story killed me. That's the only way it can get worse than locking the keys in your car.

Considering that there's probably a ton of different variables it would probably be impossible to balance, and therefore won't be played at tournaments.

Version select won't be played outside of fun side tournaments for Ultra so I'm assuming the same here.

Kimosabae

Banned
The control scheme in Dissidia is very similar to Smash. You've got 4 directions + Triangle or Square for moves. Most characters will have more moves than can possibly fit in each "slot," so you've got to make a choice with said characters. Cloud for example has Fire, Fira, and Firaga in his movepool, and they each have different speeds, damage, and range. People make several movesets that fit with how they want to use that character in a certain matchup, and Dissidia helps this by having room to save 4-5 builds for each character. On the character/stage select screen, you're given the choice of which build you want to use before the fight starts. "Oh hey, I'm facing Jecht and he's gonna be in my face like, 90% of the match. Better use this set."

There is also an equipment system and an ability system. Equipment is pretty self-explanatory; 4 slots (weapon, chest, helmet, special), with stat bonuses ranging from minimal (HP increases, etc) to set bonuses from having a matching set of everything (increase in damage, extended EX Mode, decrease the opponent's meter, etc). The ability system is slightly more complicated, but not much. You can equip abilities that can alter how you and your opponent approach the fight. Some are for your own character's movement (increasing the number of jumps, dashing speed, dashing direction), and others are for actions taken/not taken (decreasing your opponent's Brave if they do not attack). For a little while, Dissidia tournaments chose to not use any equipment and just use "naked" characters for fights, but it ended up screwing certain characters from the get-go (Gabranth). After some tests, the tournament ruleset changed to let everything rock except for certain equipment pieces (which were INTENDED to be busted).

The reason it works well is because despite how big or small the movepool is for a certain character, or what equipment they use, or what abilities they have, it's never hard to switch sets and it's never complicated to apply to a fight. It's all easy to use, and if it ever somehow becomes confusing, the game also includes a very helpful, deep, and easy to understand Tutorial menu which you can access on any screen (and even defaults to a specific part of the tutorial depending on which screen you're on). Your builds also would never overlap with your opponent;if you purposely made Sephiroth a shit character in your copy, it wouldn't affect your fight with your opponent's copy during the match. That's something that SFxT failed miserably on: there was no way for you to bring your own gem set with you to a local match.

I don't know how deep the customization is gonna go in Smash 4 (from the Direct, it seemed like you can only really alter the properties of moves for some characters, and not really switch moves entirely, but I also wasn't paying full attention), but if it can work like how Dissidia does it, then it shouldn't be an issue. And even then, it's a separate mode. Not like it's gonna detract from the tournament scene if the mode ends up being a bust.

It did. But saves weren't locked, so you could download a complete save and be done with it. Not that grinding was difficult anyways, but I understand the frustration.

See, that does sound very cool and interesting - I just don't want anything like that in Smash Bros. I want the series to focus on visceral gameplay and competitive fundamentals - free and precise controls that feels rewarding and facilitates variegated mind games and rewards spacing. That's it. The RPG/Card game stuff sounds cool, but I want that in a different series. I don't want to have to training mode-monster x variations of Rosaline to fully understand her. That's not what I want to do with this series.

*shrug*

it's kinda unwieldy at 11MB+, prolly worth shaving down to a smaller resolution and duration

otherwise it's alright

The original gif was 11MB+ I used, so that is why it was that size

If I do make it smaller, I have to reduce the size most likely, and that could effect the quality of the gif

The problem is that it's not just 3 versions of Mario's Fireball - it's x many versions of Mario's Up/Down/Forward B's pitted against potentially just as many permutations regarding the rest of the roster. Just like team construction in Marvel, every adjustment is a new character/team. I don't want Marvel in my Smash Bros.

That's an arbitrary restriction that doesn't illustrate my actual apprehension towards customizations. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying I don't think I want it. But I won't know until I get more information and I actually play the game.

It can definitely be dismissed as an "Old Man Yelling At Clouds" thing at this point. I won't begrudge that.
Well, luckily for you it isn't mandatory. Who knows if it will become tournament standard.

Regardless, it looks like the alterations have pros and cons. Using Mario's fireballs:
Heavy fireball has high hitstun and hits three times.
Default fireball has low hitstun and hits once.
Light fireball has no hitstun and hits once.

Since there is a tradeoff, you can probably rock default and not worry.

Personally, I love it.

Edit: multi-version moves help balance by ensuring weak characters have options still.

I don't want to have to training mode-monster x variations of Rosaline to fully understand her. That's not what I want to do with this series.

*shrug*

Like I said, I don't know how deep they're going to go with this mode. But unless they're literally having 3 versions of every single move for every single character, you won't have much to worry about. I doubt they're going to go that far with it, as it would be completely unnecessary. Not even Dissidia did that (and when it did, it was only for a handful of moves for an even smaller amount of characters).

But hey, it's a separate mode anyways!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just watched Winter Soldier.

God fucking damn @ the fight choreography and showcasing of Cap's capabilities. Marvel really has found a way to mature its characters logically. Were basically one step away from the grizzled shot caller Cap, but by the end of the film he's basically assumed the role. Thank you based Feige.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
The original gif was 11MB+ I used, so that is why it was that size

If I do make it smaller, I have to reduce the size most likely, and that could effect the quality of the gif
it'll be okay, the text is fucking enormous
'shots fired' isn't worth 11MB imo
Just watched Winter Soldier.

God fucking damn @ the fight choreography and showcasing of Cap's capabilities. Marvel really has found a way to mature its characters logically. Were basically one step away from the grizzled shot caller Cap, but by the end of the film he's basically assumed the role. Thank you based Feige.

HOW DOPE was that scene with fury driving

Astarte

But its awesome as hell. Adds a lot to a character/complements a certain play style. That's what ono tried to do, but its just executed poorly.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing to read up on and use. I really wish SFxT didn't drop the baby.

Kimosabae

Banned
I missed him saying that it was a seperate mode. The problem that I have with it being a separate mode is that it will essentially become stillborn as a adoptive and leave you thinking "what if?". Kind of like Guilty Gear's EX characters it just becomes a graveyard of interesting ideas and potential. I'd rather they tweak Smash's gameplay to fit those variations in rather than make it a separate mode or card game. What if B could be pressed for different lengths of time to give different Special variations, for example (similar to short hop execution)? That's two variations of Mario's Fireball attack right there.

Thanks for the post man. great info and interesting stuff. Sounds like the ability is there to go as deep as you want, which is cool. From what you wrote it seems like it's literally mixing fighting game mechanics with RPG mechanics.

That's exactly what it's doing. I think probably the most important reason why it works so well is because the game was new. If an existing IP tried to add all of that and make a game out of it (SFxT), then it'd be met with a backlash. But because it was a brand-new game, there was no real risk of fan backlash. It either worked and was fun, or it didn't work and stunk. SFxT tried, and I applaud the game for it, but it was the wrong series to try it with. Everything about the approach was botched, and despite the patch's attempt to salvage it, it just wasn't enough.

Top Bottom