• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 3-10 | Rising to the Occasion

LegatoB

I was watching more Nitroplus Blasters because I am morbidly fascinated by these niche anime fighters. However this game at high level is pretty hilarious. If you have your burst on hand there's a similar to P4AU "One More Burst" method you can use to guarantee kills.

Most matches that I viewed from a-cho went along the lines of "I landed one confirm (this even works off throws) and did a 70% combo with two assists and a burst and you are dead". It happened so often I couldn't help but say that it's a severe balance issue... almost no assists are called in neutral because the assist recharge time is crazy long so it's better to have an assist that can get a guaranteed kill.

What adds to the humor is that the game has around 20 assists but people only use about 4 of them. Some chick with a giant axe that slams you is the best combo extender in the game, there's another one that does Angled Proton Cannon, and another that does Weasel Shot. However the differences don't matter because they're only used for combo extension. In comparison DBFC has way better assist balance though that's not saying much.

So yeah... the game's getting a western release on PS3, but I would be prepared to pick top tiers. Some characters look terrible in a "I don't have a single functional, stable gameplan" way.
It doesn't help that the game has one of the most hilarious cases of Comeback Meter Gain I've seen in a while. Players seem to gain meter at exactly the same rate whether they're the one hitting or getting hit, so getting that 70% kill combo is all the more important -- if you don't KILL with it, you've easily given your opponent enough resources to run it back if they touch you next.

Anne

So like, Nitro+ Blasterz is kusoge.

Fun fact though, the game evolved some. At high level you sometimes see assists get called in neutral out of necessity and then a kill combo doesn't happen. I wll forever question the thought to make bursts regen at the start of every round though.

Game is bad, pretty poorly put together, pretty poorly balanced, but I mean, Yakuza money only buys so much.

Also a-cho vid quality is super hit and miss. The general skill level at a-cho seems to be low, but then monster players like N-O or TatsueE show up. Speaking of TatsueE, the no card Akatsuki/Merkava in that 90m a-cho vid is him. He was the best Merkava in UNiEL but he stopped playing after awhile, every time he showed up he would play Akatsuki and mess around. You should watch his Merkava, that's about the way Merkava should ideally be played and he does a lot of high level stuff.

Nyoro SF

It doesn't help that the game has one of the most hilarious cases of Comeback Meter Gain I've seen in a while. Players seem to gain meter at exactly the same rate whether they're the one hitting or getting hit, so getting that 70% kill combo is all the more important -- if you don't KILL with it, you've easily given your opponent enough resources to run it back if they touch you next.

Yeah the meter gain is absolutely nuts.
The other funny part is the Shield system. Think of it like a Slashback from GG, except with zero risk; there is no reason not to Shield at any time. Up close battles are literally shield trades so the footsies are really bizarre looking.

There's one character that is Chinese kenpo fighter that gets absolutely mauled by the Shield system. Can't do any pokes or pressure at all despite the core of her design being short-range fighting.

Fun fact though, the game evolved some. At high level you sometimes see assists get called in neutral out of necessity and then a kill combo doesn't happen. I wll forever question the thought to make bursts regen at the start of every round though.

Game is bad, pretty poorly put together, pretty poorly balanced, but I mean, Yakuza money only buys so much.

Also a-cho vid quality is super hit and miss. The general skill level at a-cho seems to be low, but then monster players like N-O or TatsueE show up. Speaking of TatsueE, the no card Akatsuki/Merkava in that 90m a-cho vid is him. He was the best Merkava in UNiEL but he stopped playing after awhile, every time he showed up he would play Akatsuki and mess around. You should watch his Merkava, that's about the way Merkava should ideally be played and he does a lot of high level stuff.

I don't doubt the bad quality of the game. I guess they don't even have the budget to do a rebalance... if that could help at all.

Hmm, could have sworn he did a roster. Leak as well. Every one of those lists seem to bleed together in my mind.

Well...

Time / Weather effects in stages (i can see it[1] already)
Release date : 2016, before the end of the fiscal year.
Unreal Engine 4
The new mechanic is named V-Trigger : You can change your stance.
16 characters (with future updates, see below)
No Super Street Fighter 2X + EX (Updates kinda like League of Legends / Killer Instinct)
The story mode will be way much better, they know they fucked up with sf4.
The PC version is here mostly because they want to bring the game to Latin America, South Asia, Africa...

Skab

Hmm, could have sworn he did a roster. Leak as well. Every one of those lists seem to bleed together in my mind.

There was a list that someone else was claiming Ken told them was the roster. Ken himself never leaked any characters outside of there being 4 new ones, and giving the 3 names.

Numb

Glad Vega is back but SF4 one has a better face.
Nice spotlight DEATH. I also love the tag system and never understood the hate.
Good luck to you Enzo.

So Vega's V-trigger is the claw sheathe, and he can't get the claw back till the next round? I can't tell if the trailer showed off his V-skill.

notworksafe

If Siliconera is right (anything is possible) then I guess we know the entire roster. Siliconera is usually wrong a lot more than they are right though.

Tripon

If Siliconera is right (anything is possible) then I guess we know the entire roster. Siliconera is usually wrong a lot more than they are right though.
Siliconera has an out though by saying all those characters were in the game, but they didn't say the initial roster. They could be DLC characters.

Enzo
aqDwC.png
aqDwC.png

Essay

Nice, with my main man Vega back, I can stop worrying about who else is added to SFV.
Except I think I still have PTSD from fighting Rufus and the twins' free-form divekicks in SFIV. Please leave those three out, Capcom!

Rhapsody

Banned

It's why I don't really watch a-cho vids. It's mostly casuals, so there's a bunch of randoms that just show up at times. Some players looking like they're your average XBL SF4 player too. I love watching a-cho for CvS2 though. Probably the one thing I like most from them.

notworksafe

Nice, with my main man Vega back, I can stop worrying about who else is added to SFV.
Except I think I still have PTSD from fighting Rufus and the twins' free-form divekicks in SFIV. Please leave those three out, Capcom!

Geneijin would be too good of a V-Trigger to leave out. I could see Yun DLC eventually

jbug617

Banned
I still want to see how would they make Dhalsim fit in this game with his limbs. I guess he would attack close like he did in SFXT.

Anne

New to FGC in general so I just started learning Ultra. Interested in getting Guilty Gear when the new version comes out

Mmm, if you have any questions, just ask. People around here are nice and play online too :p

If you wanna get GG and you can afford it, the current version is almost identical to the next one. Supposedly they aren't even doing character rebalance. Supposedly. ASW isn't known for keeping their word on things like this.

petghost

Banned
The line between kusoge and non kusoge is so confusing for me... Like your description of what is kusoge bout nitro whatever sounds like some shadow character shit in persona.

I just watched this persona set tho and I think it's really good. Lotta hard reads and adaptation and all that.

https://youtu.be/6CsQxwFyASE

Vegas pretty whack...hope he gets his whole style overhauled. In st he was kinda rad cuz his 50/50 was so brutal but ever since I think he's been incredibly boring. Disappointed by the roster for 5 so far but whatever I'm sure there will be some nice dlc picks down the road.

Zissou

Mmm, if you have any questions, just ask. People around here are nice and play online too :p

If you wanna get GG and you can afford it, the current version is almost identical to the next one. Supposedly they aren't even doing character rebalance. Supposedly. ASW isn't known for keeping their word on things like this.

Weren't people already reporting changes to existing characters during the revelator loc tests?

I wish I knew, that's a pretty cool move imo. Bring Ken's air throw back too :D
Only reason I ask is because I've been playing it frequently when I go to my local mall. But their cabinet setup is kinda weird because the joystick controls is sorta diagonal 45° instead of straight.

Nyoro SF

I heard that they only were going to do small tweaks to the characters rather than upending the tea table like with Blazblue.

I suppose both styles of balancing has value.

Anne

The line between kusoge and non kusoge is so confusing for me... Like your description of what is kusoge bout nitro whatever sounds like some shadow character shit in persona.

I just watched this persona set tho and I think it's really good. Lotta hard reads and adaptation and all that.

https://youtu.be/6CsQxwFyASE

Ish. Persona gets pretty silly but you can at least make sense of it and how decisions happen usually works. Like, a lot of stuff in Blasterz is busted at a fundamental level, then the super damage happens and it makes no sense why it happened, and you get to do it for free every round.

I mean you can call whatever you want "kusoge", I just use it to class in "makes no sense fundamentally and the game is more likely to kill you than anything else" :p

Weren't people already reporting changes to existing characters during the revelator loc tests?

Damn already lol? I'm pretty sure they said people were happy with 1.1 balance so they weren't looking to make character gameplay adjustments.

Anyways, it should be really similar.

Top Bottom