• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 16-22 | Everyone has Xrd now, right?

hitsugi

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";152828093]I wish Xrd had real tri jumps and not shit jumps like Bedman. ASW has been going downhill since Fist of the North Star. Haven't been able to get a game right since.[/QUOTE]

You're crazy. Even MVC3 tri jumps are trash by comparison to say, MVC2. Anime fighters don't need it.

JeTmAn81

Talking about preorders, I haven't preordered a game since the original Marvel 3. Before that, the only game I remember preordering was Metal Gear Solid 2.

I don't preorder games much.

Same here, though I did pre-order Majora's Mask 3D from a local shop. That one's a slam dunk.

LOL that was hilarious.

Also, that Ling combo.

irzhOQQRSAA5m.gif

found my tekken main

which will have to wait cause i went to the dentist today and my wallet got OTG Ultra Comboed plink into FADC Fatality

Wavedashing in Xrd would be a downgrade, but every game needs to have a button dash input. Double tapping to dash is awful. I partially play Blanka just because his command dash is almost always superior to normal dashes, so I don't have to deal with that crappy input.

smurfx

get some go again
Talking about preorders, I haven't preordered a game since the original Marvel 3. Before that, the only game I remember preordering was Metal Gear Solid 2.

I don't preorder games much.
last game i preordered was zelda oot because i wanted the gold cartridge.

MrDaravon

NSFW

If you click this it can scar you forever.

I seriously can't stop laughing at this.

Regarding pre-orders, I used to pre-order most games that I was getting day one, largely because it was a budgeting thing; I'd just go pay it off in full way in advance so I didn't have to think about it. Then I started getting more selective about games I was buying day one, but the last 1-2 years of broken/disappointing games have made me extremely jaded, and I almost never buy anything day one at all anymore, and if I do I almost never pre-order. The only very limited exceptions I make to pre-ordering are if it's something extremely niche and/or it's something that I actively want to support the release of. Both of these scenarios just about only wind up applying to localized games though; for example I'd pre-order a physical release of Yakuza 5 or an announcement of say Dragon Quest VII 3DS just to show active support for those titles even existing in the US. Also those are both series that have an established history AND have been out for some time in Japan so you know full well what you're getting.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
found my tekken main

which will have to wait cause i went to the dentist today and my wallet got OTG Ultra Comboed plink into FADC Fatality

Damn, sounds like what happened to me after I paid for my bills. Time to live the struggle of not being able to afford to go to Winter Brawl, and its close too.

Packed house at Bum's for marvel. People are training up for this weekend
http://www.twitch.tv/bum1six3

Killers in the house, even though most of the say they don't play the game anymore lol

Been streaming SF4 the past few days. I've enjoyed playing endless and giving targeted advice, as opposed to simply playing ranked or analyzing videos.

Will start streaming again in a few minutes.

I'm curious, what did you all think of the WNF tournament? I think Valle's doing the right thing generally but as a former competitor I would not want my online matches legitimized in either direction.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Been streaming SF4 the past few days. I've enjoyed playing endless and giving targeted advice, as opposed to simply playing ranked or analyzing videos.

I'm curious, what did you all think of the WNF tournament? I think Valle's doing the right thing generally but as a former competitor I would not want my online matches legitimized in either direction.

I don't understand what you mean by legitimized, not to count as a win as it would offline against a player? As in reputation-building? Also, the online format is much more manageable and cheaper for Valle. If he keeps on piling incentives for the winners and gets sponsors, he'll have something anyone who has USF4 PC can enjoy.
Unless they have a horrible connection.

Shouta

I don't think online matches here in the States are a good metric for anything, good or bad. In Japan, where the connection is at its best and you can play well, maybe but it's still a different beast from sitting across or next folks so.

Smash 4 with customs should be interesting. There are some chars that really get some good stuff in Customs it seems. Palutena seems to have a real range of moves in her repertoire thanks to them.

not bad, but as always lag is a big issue. Also there really isn't any way to stop people from really cheating like using macros or w/e. If it's always on tuesday I dont think Id be able to join

Rhapsody

Banned

I think it's a good thing overall. Let's a lot of players without nearby scenes to actually get a taste of a competitive setting for maybe the first time. It's definitely a different environment with a lot of weird factors affecting the turn out, but I think it's still a good idea.

Not something I'd do since I really don't like online, but I see it as reaching to another audience.

i preorder mostly vita or niche games. I do have the order preordered but its not a big deal. I can always return it if I change my mind.

+ i had to use my 45 dollar best buy cert lol.

I don't understand what you mean by legitimized, not to count as a win as it would offline against a player? As in reputation-building?

I wouldn't want them "legitimized" in the sense that I wouldn't want them to count for or against me as a player. Players that are serious about competition should take online with a grain of salt, and giving prizes for online play (even if the prize involves travel/seeding for an offline tournament) tends to obfuscate that idea.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I wouldn't want them "legitimized" in the sense that I wouldn't want them to count for or against me as a player. Players that are serious about competition should take online with a grain of salt, and giving prizes for online play (even if the prize involves travel/seeding for an offline tournament) tends to obfuscate that idea.

Ah thanks for the explanation. Yeah, I feel online tournaments is more of a opportunity for stream monsters to get in on the fun. I think Valle should cater to both online and offline. Online is great as is right now but the offline crowd is left in the dust unless there are other locals they can go to or try doing a monthly.

Oh my God.

I want to get in this. Zero Suit Samus is going to be fucking HILARIOUS.

hey, now you can finally pick up Rosalina for real, featuring Shooting Star Bit and Luma Warp!

yeah ok a bunch of characters pick up anti-Luma tech, but who cares, they're still low tier!

Azure J

hey, now you can finally pick up Rosalina for real, featuring Shooting Star Bit and Luma Warp!

yeah ok a bunch of characters pick up anti-Luma tech, but who cares, they're still low tier!

I forgot about Shooting Star Bit, Guardian Luma shenanigans and Offensive Launch Star. PogChamp

The usual folks hyped up the graphics, setting and art etc. but the people who have been paying attention to the industry for the past 5 or so years knew the game had no real substance to back up the visuals. Demo after demo was just QTE sequence after QTE sequence + cutscene sprinkled with the most generic 3rd person cover shooter game play seen. The reviewers have finally confirmed these suspicions.

That's not what happened. Sengoku Basara characters were not included because they are historical characters. That was the real reason given... not Dante was "enough".

The characters were considered for TvC as well but again... they weren't included for the same reason and that time there was no Dante excuse either.

The Dante thing definitely happened. During a stream showing off the English Sengoku Basara game at...I want to say Comic-Con, people in the chat were asking for Date Masamune to be in Marvel 3. Kobayashi laughed and then said, "Isn't Dante enough?"

As far as I know, Capcom has never said the characters could not be in the game since they are historical characters. That originated from that Shoryuken thread asking for new characters. Of course, if there is proof that Kobayashi actually said this, I really want to see it.

smurfx

get some go again
is japan going to show up for smash 4 at evo? would be cool to start a fund to send the best guys to evo. hopefully twitch sponsors a bunch of players.

Kimosabae

Banned
The only thing I find more perplexing than GAF's AAA review culture fetish is the administration's inclination to let it rock. Evil's comment is weird, because, yeah, the behavior is blatantly embarrassing, but I don't see him, or anyone else making any effort to address it. Obviously, you can't just ban discussion/anticipation of reviews but I wish the admins would do more to plant a magnifying lens on why it's silly when it happens. Help guide the culture in a different direction.

This site should have a review forum. It's full of too many intelligent people that wouldn't be bound by publishing agendas and click money. Member reviews could be constructively critiqued as well. That's seems way more constructive and healthy than the cyclical carnival of stupid we have now.

I'd rather politely bash Karsticle's silly opinions on Tekken with multiple muslti-syllabic enjambments than see 3-6 topics on the front page about why AAA gaming sucks and the gaming press aren't being "journalists".

/Off Topic

Tripon

is japan going to show up for smash 4 at evo? would be cool to start a fund to send the best guys to evo. hopefully twitch sponsors a bunch of players.
I don't know. A lot of Japanese players soured on U.S. tournaments because how APEX ran Smash 4 pools. They out Neitono, Choco and Abagando in the same pool, all top JP players and potential top 8 players. Neitono and Abagando still made it, but Neitono had to eliminate Choco from pools and he was super mad about having that happen.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Erik Warda is going nuts in this Marvel 3 tournament tonight, damn.

Crazy Joe is keeping him in check now though.

I don't know. A lot of Japanese players soured on U.S. tournaments because how APEX ran Smash 4 pools. They out Neitono, Choco and Abagando in the same pool, all top JP players and potential top 8 players. Neitono and Abagando still made it, but Neitono had to eliminate Choco from pools and he was super mad about having that happen.

that can't be true, considering Neitono made it out of winners...

edit: also Abadango was in the same pool as Mr. R, the super stacked one you're thinking of had Neitono, 6WX, Choco, Tyrant, and Larry Lurr, which makes me wonder how the seeding was terrible enough to stick 2 Japan and 2 SoCal in one round 2 pool

Dahbomb

The only thing I find more perplexing than GAF's AAA review culture fetish is the administration's inclination to let it rock. Evil's comment is weird, because, yeah, the behavior is blatantly embarrassing, but I don't see him, or anyone else making any effort to address it. Obviously, you can't just ban discussion/anticipation of reviews but I wish the admins would do more to plant a magnifying lens on why it's silly when it happens. Help guide the culture in a different direction.

This site should have a review forum. It's full of too many intelligent people that wouldn't be bound by publishing agendas and click money. Member reviews could be constructively critiqued as well. That's seems way more constructive and healthy than the cyclical carnival of stupid we have now.

I'd rather politely bash Karsticle's silly opinions on Tekken with multiple muslti-syllabic enjambments than see 3-6 topics on the front page about why AAA gaming sucks and the gaming press aren't being "journalists".

/Off Topic
Not really the administration's fault, fantards are gonna fantards no matter where they are.

I and many other people have tried to start healthy topics on GAF (before I was a junior of course) but the one thing that is a common thing at GAF and other forums is that people aren't even arsed to read the damn OP much less the rest of the thread.

I can't tell you how many times I have had to copy/paste the feature set of DmC DE on GAF even though not only is it linked in the OP but it's usually in the front page by someone's post as well.

Way too many drive by posts on GAF. The hit it and quit it stuff is just really bad. I am guilty of this stuff too but I only do it in threads where I know people won't even read my stuff.

The main positive thing I can say in recent memory is that AAA games are being put on blast by reviewers in general as of the past year or so. The Order 1886 if released 4 years ago would've gotten somewhere between 8-9 reviews as would've Destiny and Watch Dogs but they are getting middling reviews (by middling I mean 6s and 7s which even though isn't using the full scale is still a lot better than it once was). This has now guided user impressions as well as they now see the AAA games for what they are. The effects of this will start to appear 1-2 years from now as these companies will start to get their shit together once their AAA games don't start getting 8+ scores on MC which is still a big driving force in the industry unfortunately (and why there is such big fuss over reviews).

alstein

I just consider online competition and offline competition to be separate. I don't think one delegitimizes the other.

Dahbomb

Talk about fighting games folks.

I honestly feel that MKX is veering into this AAA bad practices as well especially it's DLC practices. Watch it have some BS pre-order bonuses as well.

There is already a thread on GAF on how MKX is "revolutionizing" fighting games. The only thing it's revolutionizing is how fighting games can nickle and dime consumers.

Top Bottom