• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 5-11 | A World Warrior Demographic

Onemic

Xrd was crappy for me tonight lag wise. Just don't understand. It's been great until now.

Also, played some Street fighter Ultra tonight online for the first time in forever... Holy shit that was weird.

I am lucky enough to have entry of people to play offline so I generally don't bother with online too much, but damn lol. I was losing to the crappiest players. The again, if I lost, I guess it means I suck too. :(

How was our set? Besides the few rounds where the lag cranked up for a few seconds they mostly stayed at 4f for me

I want a 2D game with the same style of SFxT's Tekken characters, normal strings(no magic series though), less reversals, less dependent on special moves than SF, etc... I really liked Nina in SFxT.

I wondered for a long time why UNIEL seemed so familiar, but couldn't place it. Then someone mentioned that a lot of SFxT players migrated to it. Realized that UNIEL was basically SFxT with kickass movement and a good OST. ie. essentially SFxT but good.

Malice215

Canada Cup is really missing out on pricing the PPV at $8.95 versus the current $14.95. PPV is an idea I like to see someone try, but you have to ease people into it since people outside of Japan aren't use to the pricing. You can't just slam them with a price like that when no one has an idea of what the final product will look like. Topanga Cup may cost more, but I'm sure that they had to build a reputation first before

And if you take a look, there's a bunch of events going on this weekend that Canada Cup will be up against that are free to watch, which will impact the amount of people willing to pay to watch the PPV. I had no idea that there were this many major events this weekend.

tinyurl.com/fgccalendar

I wish SFxT looked as cool as it did in its trailers, and those character select screens just remind me of what potential the game could have had with a few better design choices, some better art direction, and no DLC gems or characters to hurt its perception. Oh well.

I'd argue that increasing the entry and tournament fees of major tournaments is something that's needed to happen for a while now.

You can give more meaningful prizes deeper, which will encourage more players to gun for those top 8 spots.

Oh, to add to the list of events this month, you have SFO too. But nobody cares outside of the UK scene. :(

Namco's patent for playing old arcade games during load screens expires this year.

The patent expires this year!

"A recently resurfaced patent has revealed the reason why Namco Bandai titles are the only titles to have mini-games in their loading screens.

The patent filed way back in 1995 allows Namco Bandai to run an “auxiliary game” (or mini-game) whilst players are faced with the much loathed loading screens. Examples of this include the shortened Galaxian stage in the original Ridge Racer and a video game based on an early 3-D Namco space flyer StarBlade in Tekken 5.

This system was implemented as “Unnecessary wastage of time can be prevented by first loading the smaller, auxiliary game program code into the games machine, before the main-game program code is loaded, then loading the main-game program code while the auxiliary game is running.”

Non-Namco titles such as FIFA and Bayonetta have contained similar gameplay features in their loading screens, such as one-on-one vs the goalie gameplay and combo practice. These features are already built into the games coding and aren’t “auxillary games” so don’t breach the patent.

Patents typically expire 20 years after they are originally filed so from November 27th 2015, we could be seeing more mini-games appearing in loading screens across all publishers."

Source: http://www.sticktwiddlers.com/2012/...e-only-titles-with-mini-game-loading-screens/

You think SF5 will have 1942 or some shit while u wait for ur game to load?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Namco's patent for playing old arcade games during load screens expires this year.

You think SF5 will have 1942 or some shit while u wait for ur game to load?
I think if SF5 loading screens are long enough that you can fit such a thing in, it's a problem.

Is there enough interest in an NeoGaf PC Ultra Street Fighter 4 tournament? It'd be cool.

Ahh I remember my first online tournament.

It was in the early early days of Vanilla.. probably like 2-3 weeks after it came out. Made it to the finals, had to play a Chun Li from the West Coast..I was still on my 360 pad/heavy kick sweep Ryu swag

Got grabbed like 30 times breh, ninjas didn't know what crouch teching was yet. Salt everywhere.

It was in the early early days of Vanilla.. probably like 2-3 weeks after it came out. Made it to the finals, had to play a Chun Li from the West Coast..I was still on my 360 pad/heavy kick sweep Ryu swag

Got grabbed like 30 times breh, ninjas didn't know what crouch teching was yet. Salt everywhere.

Butt Stomp was unblockable and the Ryu cross-up to throw or light srk mixup made me step away from the game for awhile the first week.

Sayad

09 X-Box Live Chun won GAF's first SF4 tournament!...

alstein

I'd argue that increasing the entry and tournament fees of major tournaments is something that's needed to happen for a while now.

You can give more meaningful prizes deeper, which will encourage more players to gun for those top 8 spots.

Oh, to add to the list of events this month, you have SFO too. But nobody cares outside of the UK scene. :(

If you raise prices, you need to let more people in the money, or you'll see entrants reduce.

I'm so sad I was unable to work the whole day and I tried to launch a fighting game but I can't even find motivation to play. :(

Shouta

Do you have SF on PC Shouta? I really wanna get some T. Hawk experience from a person who isn't gonna say I suck...
When will you look my way Beef-senpai?!
Since my fundamentals at Street Fighter are horrible and I only know of mind games, I dropped Gief and I'm picking up Ryu for good. Gotta get zoning, spacing, and anti-air punishing down.

Nope. No SF on PC.

IMG_2556.JPG

This angry.

I immediately bought another copy

I have a.... History of breaking stuff when I get really mad at a game, mostly because I am obsessed with it and want to be good, but fail horribly. Luckily I am mostly not like that anymore:

2. Decided to get into Street Fighter IV when Arcade Edition came out. The fact that I lost like 35-40 online matches in a row put me in a state of rage and I smashed apart a 360 controller. When I finally realized what I done I felt really bad and I cursed myself for having to buy a new controller. I decided there and then that I would not smash any more controllers, which worked well until a few weeks ago.

The thing that baffles me the most about these stories is that I am a very calm person outside of gaming and it's very rare that I get upset or mad at stuff.

Ripped the head off a teddy bear (don't worry, it was my own. I never lose so much control that I destroy other people's stuff ;) ) when playing Super Street Fighter II on SNES.
Pretty sure it was against DeeJay, fuck that guy.
jack-nicholson-nodding.gif

Broke some cheap headphones I had once when losing a fight in SFIV ranked.

It s my fault for playing Vega and his stupid match ups. The other guy was a Chun, so yeah, I was screwed.
pretty sure Vega vs Chun wasn't that bad in Vanilla tbh
i'm not an angry person, but i think the most consistently angry i've ever gotten at a game would be vanilla sf4, ranked matches. i was playing a lot of ranked in it, and losses just feel so personal in fighting games.

I tried doing that to my SSFIV a few posts up only to realize that discs don't snap; they warp, fold, and tear, and the layers come apart. I had to employ scissors to finish the job.

Were you really able to snap it in half?

Seth in SF4.

Played six straight hours once and still couldn't beat him.
Become a part of me.
The only game that used to drive me mad, without fail, was 3rd Strike on Street Fighter Anniversary Collection. Playing that online… ho boy.

I even remember the moment I stopped playing it online, 3000 matches (lol) later. I was playing a Makoto who kept doing cr.HP and he did cr.HP three times in a row and every single time, I missed the low parry. And this is a parry I can do in my sleep offline. I was so angry, never been so angry at a game, I knew right there and then I had to stop playing for my own sanity.

Back when I played Super street fighter 4 hardcore, I mained Makoto so I was used to losing more than I won but nothing pissed me off more than losing to Blanka or Guile. I remember after losing to a particularly cheesy, runaway Guile, I punched my fightstick so hard I shredded the skin off my knuckles and left the faceplate with a permanent concave indention.

I once drunkenly threw a box of Cheez-its out of my apartment window after losing a SF4 online match. Thinking it landed on my balcony, I decided to go to bed, but when I woke up the next day, I found that it had sailed clear off my balcony (I lived on a 9th floor apartment at the time) and landed on a overhead thing near the first floor below. I felt really bad about losing my cool and making a mess and went down and had to use a broom to retrieve the box from the overhang and clean up the scattered Cheez-its.

455628_630x354.jpg

we ain't gonna talk about my salty moments tho..
them first 3 weeks of learning how to play with an arcade stick definitely got the better of my soul tho

Fighting Game Weekly; everyone loses.
I stopped playing SSF4 for a month after losing to my friends Adon. His Adon owned my Bison's soul.
Another are my friend's XF3 Hulk comebacks on my entire team.

petghost

Banned
Nothing feels as hopeless to me as playing a much better player in vsav...it's weird cuz it's kinda a straightforward game, it's not like there is an Oki vortex or something but when you are outclassed it's like everything you do is wrong, all your buttons get beat etc.

kirblar

The $10 entry fees not going up while the venue/spectator fees continue to absorb all of the increased costs has definitely been an issue.

Didn't Ultrachen say that PR Rog and Smug are going to Canada to try and get the final spot? I know PR Rog is confirmed, but I'm wondering about Smug.

Didn't Ultrachen say that PR Rog and Smug are going to Canada to try and get the final spot? I know PR Rog is confirmed, but I'm wondering about Smug.

Damn this event is starting to sound better and better.

With no intermission this could be better than Canada Cup.

Round robin too?

:kreygasm:

Just a reminder

The first day aside from the open tournament is going to feature Xiaohai vs Pepeday and Snake Eyez vs Kazunoko. Those two matches are free for everyone.

edit: I watched yesterday's show again and Chen specifically said that he heard Smug is being flown out to the event.

cHaotix8

Haha, poor KIT. CC is going to be such a big event that I'm scared it'll be overshadowed. It really sucks that they're on the same day.

Kalamari

Haha, poor KIT. CC is going to be such a big event that I'm scared it'll be overshadowed. It really sucks that they're on the same day.

I think it might be the opposite. PPV versus free. In terms of viewership and exposure, I think KiT has the upper hand.

I think there would be enough interest for that. Organizing schedules, however, is an entirely different beast. It has been done before, though.

True it shouldn't be that hard tho if people wanna play they'll play. Good to see that there's interest here instead of just watching streams of other tournaments lol Streams are cool don't get me wrong but damnnn I wanna play too lol

petghost

Banned
I might actually pay...partially cuz I'd like to see a western Topanga style invatational succeed and continue to happen.

Also wanna see co-op cup tho...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Damn over 1k matches played in Xrd already and that's with only playing every other day for the most part and being gone for a week lol

Top Bottom