• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 4-10 | WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!

Beckx

I don't even blame him for hating on Max. It's like CM Punk hating on the part-timers and that being a reason why he quit.

Competitors tend to not like it when celebrities make more than they do for doing the same thing.

Maybe but you have to have an ounce of self-awareness and realize that when your business is entertainment, entertainers get paid.

CMPunk ain't in the pro sports business, you know? Being athletic is part of the job requirement but that's to get in the door, being entertaining is the business.

Nobody's making the esports competitor get into the entertainment side of the game. But choosing to get into streaming and then complaining that it's an entertainment game is...dumb.

Justin is charismatic enough to be entertaining personality while also being one of the best players in the world. Max is really energetic and comes of as extremely genuine.

Pretty much why we also love Aris and Yipes. Some guys are just not fun to watch or entertaining.
I know that there are KBrad haters but he is great on steam too.

Frantic

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163086391]DSP the hero we deserve[/QUOTE]"Why can't I block?! This is so stupid! HUH HUH! This game is such trash! HUH HAH! Why did I get hit!? This is some horseshit! HUH HUH!"

A true hero. Such charisma. I salute you, DSP.

I miss Aquasilk.

nigga said fuck streaming, fuck next level, fuck chris hu, fuck my subs and fuck SPOOKY

TO THE BUSHES WITH HIM

jbxDLj8qgjnnyA.png

pixelish

WOW MARKMAN WITH THE SHOTS
Mark Julio (マークマン) ‏@MarkMan23 16m
@honzogonzo @PerfectLegend @JWonggg @maximilian_ @SonicFox5000 wow WTF Carl? This is some bitch made shit. If I subbed I would UNSUB ASAP.

Justin is charismatic enough to be entertaining personality while also being one of the best players in the world. Max is really energetic and comes of as extremely genuine.

Getting salty and resentful over these dudes having decent stream communities is petty.

I like Max, but I can't watch his non-marvel tutorial videos because he doesn't seem genuine when he plays games. OH MY GOD THE BOSS IS CRAZY or whatever like every ten seconds. Seems super forced.

DSP is not a very good gamer and he's kind of an asshole, but I'd rather watch his videos(if I even wanna watch someone else play a game, which is almost never) than basically any other youtube personality because the quality of the content is so low that I can be assured he's not trying to sell me something.

The only time I ever look up someone's playthroughs is to get like five minutes of real gameplay to make an informed purchase decision, though.

MormaPope

Banned
Pretty much why we also love Aris and Yipes. Some guys are just not fun to watch or entertaining.
I know that there are KBrad haters but he is great on steam too.

Agreed to the maximum degree. If a player is lacking in charisma, and they want to garner people's attention, their style of play needs to be fun and experimental or they need to go after the top online monsters and destroy them.

If the player or players are entertaining or appealing outside of the game, it makes watching them do anything in a fighting game more palatable.

Malice215

You guys should be glad we aren't in the phase of fighting game streaming where a girl with revealing clothes gets more stream views than most "pro" players. These players would get so salty over that, hell there's already salt in games where that already happens.

I've seen some already for MKX who were more popular than PL, but you can't be salty at what someone else is doing or expect to have an audience being dry and unentertaining while still expecting money from them.

He deserves to be blown up right now. He chose the streaming life.

MormaPope

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163088347]I like Max, but I can't watch his non-marvel tutorial videos because he doesn't seem genuine when he plays games. OH MY GOD THE BOSS IS CRAZY or whatever like every ten seconds. Seems super forced.

DSP is not a very good gamer and he's kind of an asshole, but I'd rather watch his videos(if I even wanna watch someone else play a game, which is almost never) than basically any other youtube personality because the quality of the content is so low that I can be assured he's not trying to sell me something.

The only time I ever look up someone's playthroughs is to get like five minutes of real gameplay to make an informed purchase decision, though.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Max coming off as corny or forced for some of his youtube vids, when he streams that attitude or style is toned down quite a bit most of the time. I also agree with your DSP opinion/assertion.

A bunch of variety streamers got way more numbers than either Justin or Max when they streamed MKX for the first week it was out. I hope PL has words with them too, that shit is out of line

AAK

Dragonball?
Naruto?

I think it has to be one of those. E3 is in a month and week. I highly doubt Tekken 7 will be announced for consoles before all the time release characters come out on the Arcade. And besides I'm kinda convinced that Tekken 7 will get its own BR style release where they fix the game up because right now it's in a pretty broken state.

convo

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163088347]

[/QUOTE]

Oh you can be sure that one can not get anything but pure stupidity out of what he does, genuine idiot that wouldn't know how to make more money with his personality. DSP has such a toxic personality that even a good-willed interviewer like Patrick Klepek had to speak out because DSP said Patrick was calling disabled children stupid and other shit which he got wrong like everything else he does. Does Max have a twitter dedicated to the racist, vile and stupid shit he talks about?No? DSP has multiple. I take a decent human being who is the hype clown to get a bigger audience, to someone who is sustained by his and others ignorance.
While Max seems less genuine don't you think he enjoys his marketing job of promoting KI ?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've come to accept I can't watch any YT personalities anymore because of super exaggerated emotions all the time. Maybe it's because I'm a fly on the wall type or that's the YT game you gotta play to make a living (appeal to kids by being cartoon-like), but I'm already turned off upon seeing some of these thumbnails.

This extends as far as Excellent Adventures too.

Ferrio

Banned
A bunch of variety streamers got way more numbers than either Justin or Max when they streamed MKX for the first week it was out. I hope PL has words with them too, that shit is out of line

Ya I keep seeing some guy in the morning with a shit ton of viewers and he's had the same title in his stream since release "Trying to find my character" or something... sure taking a long time bud. Popped in a bit once and didn't understand why people were watching him.

MormaPope

Banned
I've grown to admire DSP not because of the content he makes, but because he operates based on gut instinct and feeling most of the time. Those instincts and feelings lead to burnt bridges and hilarious results.

Sayah

I think it has to be one of those. E3 is in a month and week. I highly doubt Tekken 7 will be announced for consoles before all the time release characters come out on the Arcade. And besides I'm kinda convinced that Tekken 7 will get its own BR style release where they fix the game up because right now it's in a pretty broken state.

I'm betting on Naruto UNS4 since that was recently announced.
Would be too early for Dragonball since Xenoverse just came out.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163091950]Why should I give a shit what he enjoys?[/QUOTE]

Because the drive, passion, and commitment have an impact on the quality of the work/output. There is professionalism which is having a minimum standard of quality for pay, and then there is passion project where one would go beyond the minimum that is required of them to do a job. Presumably Markman operates on the later when he does shit like getting Tekken cabs to tournaments.

I've grown to admire DSP not because of the content he makes, but because he operates based on gut instinct and feeling most of the time. Those instincts and feelings lead to burnt bridges and hilarious results.

Dude puts out like five billion videos a day and plays every goddamn game that comes out so it's easiest to just load up one of his videos for a couple minutes, see what a game looks like without all the bullshit hype then just close the video. I really have no attachment to any of these people or their personalities or what happens as a result of stupid things they do.

DSP puts out the most videos with the least annoying habits so I'll click on him before the other guys.

Because the drive, passion, and commitment have an impact on the quality of the work/output.

I don't care about a single one of those things when it comes to playing a damn game on youtube.

convo

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163091950]Why should I give a shit what he enjoys?[/QUOTE]

I guess so. I probably can't feel like looking down on someones tactics to make money on videos playing video games.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163092640]I don't care about a single one of those things when it comes to playing a damn game on youtube.[/QUOTE]
Well it really doesn't matter what you care about since you are not the one working on it.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163093141]I feel like this is going off topic now.

Who said anything about looking down on anyone? I don't care what he does, I just don't like his videos.[/QUOTE]
I re-read a few of those posts, I am sorry, yeah I am kind off topic.

Look they hired Max to do a thing. His love for his work will should nave an overall positive impact on what he is doing. Because he is failing to appeal to you does not necessarily mean he is doing a bad job, and obviously you don't have to like it.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
While Max seems less genuine don't you think he enjoys his marketing job of promoting KI ?

Never have never been paid to market/play a game on Youtube/Twitch. I play the games I enjoy the most. For as much as I get accused of selling out, I should probably start selling out.

ALL LIES: We got $50,000 to play B.I.O. Freaks from Midway.

convo

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163092640]
DSP puts out the most videos with the least annoying habits so I'll click on him before the other guys.
.[/QUOTE]

Hey i used to do this too, but i really don't want to probably because i don't feel the need to watch how every game is like in the middle.Twitch is probably part of the reason why i don't want to seek those out anymore.

I re-read a few of those posts, I am sorry, yeah I am kind off topic.

Look they hired Max to do a thing. His love for his work will should nave an overall positive impact on what he is doing. Because he is failing to appeal to you does not necessarily mean he is doing a bad job, and obviously you don't have to like it.

Again, I have nothing against Max. I loved his Marvel videos and think he does a higher quality job than most. I'm just not going to watch his playthroughs.

fader

How old is Perfect Legend

a grown ass 8 year old.

Never have never been paid to market/play a game on Youtube/Twitch. I play the games I enjoy the most. For as much as I get accused of selling out, I should probably start selling out.

wind blows the hardest at the top of the mountain.

at least you're not taking it too personally.

Watch Anime with me. Someone offered me 500 buck to do it.
Its never going to happen. EffAnime.gif

notworksafe

I respect that post. Dude wants to win and it's much harder to do that if you spend your time streaming online play with subs (who are probably garbage tier in the first place).

Spend some time offline working on tech and bring that heat to events, definitely makes sense.

Speaking of youtube, I wanted to do a series where I watch the last episode of a show I'd never seen before or have interest in, then try to figure out what the series is about.

But then I got bored of the idea.

convo

Hey my bad, we all can't really be that good at judging characters on the internet by just watching their videos, just as much as we aren't friends through them. Not a knock against you, you have some fun and don't get blown up by some guys on the internet.

Alright that's enough. Now to see when i get into Skullgirls Pc or Vita.

Mr. X

Like why not just make a damn schedule? Thursday 8PM-10PM Perfect Legend streams matches. Wednesday 8-9PM Perfect Legend teaches. What does he think he needs to do for streaming and how streaming does he think he has to do?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Actually, I think the crazy part about Max is he is about 90% legitimately that hyped about stuff. (Confirm or deny Max? :p ) Hell, there was a stream a while ago where people were donating to get him to do playthroughs, and I seriously debated dropping like 500-1k to have him do a full 3 person multiplayer playthrough of Secret of Mana. It would be pretty hilarious to watch, IMO.

The thing about streaming is that it's really, really hard to do if you aren't into what you're doing. The amount of money you make for the time you spend streaming and learning to be better at streaming overall is not very much. I suspect if you took the total amount of hours Max has spent streaming and learning how to stream (from the very beginning) and compared it to how much he makes now (which is a pretty good amt) - it still would come out to about an average career. Those first couple of hundred to 1k hours is rough.

Lazyslob

Banned
LOL at salty perfect legend. cant say im a fan of max videos. everything he does just seem forced but you cant hate him or justin for doing their thing

Top Bottom