• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 4-10 | WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
He also streams concurrently with fighting game events. No hosting.

If he's not at the tournament - why is it a big deal? Especially if he's not streaming a fighting game? Would anyone be upset if Justin Wong streamed a MKX training session while an asian SF4 tournament he wasn't at was going on?

convo

I don't know what's so funny guys, being the one being addressed makes it feel like God's Beard is gonna knock on my door next to congratulate me and then murder me in a Kappa mask.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I don't know what's so funny guys, being the one being addressed makes it feel like God's Beard is gonna knock on my door next to congratulate me and then murder me in a Kappa mask.

He'll send one of his Jeebies to do it.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163101730]I can do it entirely in my stream personality and show off more of my intense distaste for these people.[/QUOTE]

Can you Shuma Gorap it?

Shouta

So, this might be a decent time to bring it up. Evo is about 2 months away now and I'm going to secure some tickets for Q and Nic. Nic's busy in Arizona until Thursday or so which means he'll be making it to Vegas himself on but would like if we got him a flight back. That basically reduces the cost of funding Q pretty nicely.

I've found a deal on Southwest that flights directly from Sacramento, which is an option for Q to go to for like 350 round trip. Nic's return flight on the same plane would be about 141 or so.

I'm going to schedule Q's flight so I can pick him up at the airport like last year to help him to the hotel. Nic's not gonna be there so I'll help him out unless any other GAFfer is coming Thurs morning at 10am or so to help me the two of us, lol.

Sheet is here right now

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CaY-ivbUOZpjdHwDw0ZLATnMDIWTfNMfNbYwzWwBvEg/edit#gid=0

Yes. He shares games he loves and his passion gets other people to at least get into them. He used to do COD games and then fighting games. A friend of mine was a CS/COD guy then started playing MvC/SF because of Max.

Also he goes to and participates in Evo every year. Pretty sure that counts for something.

Tripon

/r/ Kappa has Texas Showdown stream info.
h9h8cCz.png

tjOLEIS.png

pixelish

pl just posted his response. good os there, carl.
http://theperfectlegend.com/2015/05/07/misunderstood/

First and foremost I want to apologize for how that message came off as the way you read it isn’t the intentions I had in my mind when I sent it off.

The people I mentioned I have nothing but respect for them and what they do in their avenues.

I see how it could be taken the wrong way. The people I mentioned are the top guys in different aspects. Either being the best players, streamers or best content producers. Not at all jealous of any one of them as a matter of fact I look up to them as means of improving as well as friendly competition among peers. That was my intention but I understand it came off wrong and again I apologize. It may seem that I am “hating” or I am “salty but I’m not. I’m grown enough to apologize for it.

The whole gist of the message was to inform them that I let a lot of things distract me and I want to focus more on the competition at events and that’s basically what I wanted to say in a nutshell.

I want to get back to being a very fierce competitor and I am having a hard time juggling back and forth and I am at my best as a competitor.

Best Regards,

Carl

Yes. He shares games he loves and his passion gets other people to at least get into them. He used to do COD games and then fighting games. A friend of mine was a CS/COD guy then started playing MvC/SF because of Max.

His passion happens to coincide with new game releases. And new game releases give higher viewer count, apparently. A love for netherealm studios/midway games developed right before MKX's release, as well as a higher tolerance for shitty netcode.

What's Guilty Gear? Super Smash Bros for the Wii U? Never heard of it.

Like it's hard to take this comment seriously when you have speedrunners streaming old ass games, that aren't part of some sort of marketing hype engine. Or people who still stream UMvC3, a game you're a big fan of. I know Max is a big fan of that game. When was the last time he streamed that game?

If he's not at the tournament - why is it a big deal? Especially if he's not streaming a fighting game?

You're the one saying he's the gateway drug to fighting games before you tackle the rest of the fgc. Then obviously it does matter when he's not acting as a gateway.

Would anyone be upset if Justin Wong streamed a MKX training session while an asian SF4 tournament he wasn't at was going on?

That's a false equivalency. You're talking about youtube personalities who are about pushing their brand as an entertainer. The game is just the topic of conversation. When Max streams concurrently, the fighting games, or the fgc aren't part of the conversation anymore. His doods will follow his new bandwagon. Or why should they watch a tournament for MKX if Max is doing a CPU boss rage at the same time?

Marz

Why does a character need buffs for you to show in order to renew your interest in playing a game? I find that mentality so strange.

Cosign.

People dropping or picking back up a game due to nerfs/buffs is ridiculous

I find most of the people that say things like this generally aren't that competitive with the game though and tbh at the level most people are at character strength doesn't matter too much anyways.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
You're the one saying he's the gateway drug to fighting games before you tackle the rest of the fgc. Then obviously it does matter when he's not acting as a gateway.

Does being in the FGC mean that you only play fighting games? That you must support every event by not "streaming" against it? Can you play fighting games a lot, have some fans that watch those streams, and then play Chrono Trigger and have fans that watch that too? Hell, multitwitch.tv exists for a reason. Pretty easy to watch multiple streams. Heck - maybe having people who crossover into other games might expose folks to FGs that normally wouldn't. Must he be a gateway 24/7?

That's a false equivalency. You're talking about youtube personalities who are about pushing their brand as an entertaining personality. The game is just the topic of conversation. When Max streams concurrently, the fighting games, or the fgc aren't part of the conversation anymore. His doods will follow his new bandwagon. Or why should they watch a tournament for MKX if Max is doing a CPU boss rage at the same time?

That's not a false equivalency at all. ChrisG streams LoL - he might stream it during a tournament. If Aris streams himself playing FF15 when it comes out because he likes the game, does that make him impure all of a sudden? You're holding Max to a higher standard because he hasn't "proven" himself; which is a load of crap. Someone who plays 10-20 hours of FGs a week on a consistent basis online and creates videos about said games would be considered a member of any other game's community. There's no purity test for being a member of the FGC.

EDIT: My apologies for being a little frustrated - but I don't like this idea that people have to pass some kind of purity test in order to be a "member" of the FGC. The FGC is a community of people who like fighting games and play them. They don't have to play competitively, or think in a hive mind, or not have other interests, or have Fighting Games be in part of a rotation of games to play. We wonder why the FGC sort of sits stagnant and doesn't grow and is pretty immature for a community - I think having an elitist view on what constitutes a FGC member accounts for a large part of that.

I didn't mean to rustle your Jeebies DyeEyeRelief.

I dunno, people move on from one new fighting game(or any game) to the next. Its fun and its fine. I just find it weird to complain on what he is creating/streaming vs what he is not. I don't have an XBO or KI but that doesn't mean its not fun to see the game and its mechanic. I learn something and am entertained.

Just trying to find the silver lining on the issue/frustrations (still not sure what you guys want streamers to do)on this topic.

Horseress

Yep, been watching him for the past couple of months regularly. Have him on in the background at work. Nice chill stream, and some of the shit that comes out of his mouth. Holy shit that MKX tourny online the other day... he just went off on that dude... was hilarious.

What happened? I missed it...

And yes, Aris is the best, by far my favorite Twitch streamer

Uraizen

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163099816]Ok all my GB's Jeebies, convo puts up a great question here. I'm glad everyone has such an interest in the streaming community. Before I get into it, I'd like to remind everybody that today's stream is brought to you by NeoGAF dot com, it's a great website for following the news in videogames. If you like that sort of stuff, I highly recommend checking it out. By the way, GBlovr57, thanks for the sub, I see you there in the chat! Anyway, Neogaf is a real family, right? And families watch out for each other. So for today only, I've got a coupon code for 15% off GAF Gold subs. I got you guys. It's all about the community. Speaking of community, I'm at 35% right now on my "I really want to buy The Witcher 3" patreon account. You guys wanna see me stream it, I wanna stream it, let's make it happen. It's all a community effort guys.

Anyway, that's it for Today with GB, thanks for the question Convo, and to all my GB's Jeebies, thanks for staying fans.[/QUOTE]

This is too perfect, I even pictured the annoying ass gif popping up accompanied by an ungodly loud sound when GBlovr57 subbed.

Ferrio

Banned
What happened? I missed it...

And yes, Aris is the best, by far my favorite Twitch streamer

Lost to a Ferra Torr player, and just went super salty about the connection. Was demanding ping tests etc and bitching him out in chat. Valle called him up on the phone and everything. First it seemed like he was kidding around, but if he was he ran with it.

In a lot of ways I feel like this "you're not a true member of the FGC unless you _____" is probably one of the key things that's hurting the growth of the community. Giving people more ways of engaging with the genre outside of just playing competitively feels like it should be the top priority for everyone involved, even if growth for growth's sake (esports) isn't a universal good.

Horseress

Lost to a Ferra Torr player, and just went super salty about the connection. Was demanding ping tests etc and bitching him out in chat. Valle called him up on the phone and everything. First it seemed like he was kidding around, but if he was he ran with it.

lol he gets really salty playing online. He gets salty playing TTT2 online and it's netcode is miles better than MKX's

go look for his wnf vod on his channel and find his match vs tha_kool_kid. the salt was glorious.

will do, thanks

DRE Fei

There are streamers who can get viewers purely based on being good at the game, but that's not a hard and fast rule. Twitch is about entertainment. It's highly personality-driven.

Perfect Legend is like dean malenko/bret hart whereas Max/Gootecks/Mike Ross would be more like the rock or stone cold steve austin. The first group is known for being highly skilled, but not necessarily known for personality. The second group is known for having strong personalities which overshadows the not-so-great skills in the ring.

Justin is like a macho man randy savage or chris jericho who are very strong in both aspects. There is room for every type of broadcaster on twitch, but the entertainers tend to get the most views.

pixelish

There are streamers who can get viewers purely based on being good at the game, but that's not a hard and fast rule. Twitch is about entertainment. It's highly personality-driven.

Perfect Legend is like dean malenko/chris benoit whereas Max/Gootecks/Mike Ross would be more like the rock or stone cold steve austin. The first group is known for being highly skilled, but not necessarily known for personality. The second group is known for having strong personalities which overshadows the not-so-great skills in the ring.

Justin is like a macho man randy savage or chris jericho who is very strong in both aspects. There is room for every type of broadcaster on twitch, but the entertainers tend to get the most views.
and aris is mankind

Onemic

Cosign.

People dropping or picking back up a game due to nerfs/buffs is ridiculous

I find most of the people that say things like this generally aren't that competitive with the game though and tbh at the level most people are at character strength doesn't matter too much anyways.

How? When it's not your main game, I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

And I disagree about the character strength bit. There are certain characters where that holds true, but others where it totally doesnt. Since this is Xrd we're talking about, Elphelt is a perfect example of this. Her strength is apparent at all levels of play.

Kimosabae

Banned
How? When it's not your main game, I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

There's nothing "wrong" with it, but forgive me for seeing it as superficial. If it's not your "main" game or you're not serious about being good at the game, the strength of the character should matter even less.

chriskun

In a lot of ways I feel like this "you're not a true member of the FGC unless you _____" is probably one of the key things that's hurting the growth of the community. Giving people more ways of engaging with the genre outside of just playing competitively feels like it should be the top priority for everyone involved, even if growth for growth's sake (esports) isn't a universal good.

This whole conversation reminds me of the "you're a poser" mentality of the early 90's grunge era. Pretty fucking immature.

Infinite

Why does a character need buffs for you to show in order to renew your interest in playing a game? I find that mentality so strange.
My excitement for a game increases if my character gets new toys to work with but can't really say my interests will get renewed if I happened to drop the game at some point.

Onemic

There's nothing "wrong" with it, but forgive me for seeing it as superficial. If it's not your "main" game or you're not serious about being good at the game, the strength of the character should matter even less.

You can play casually and still want the best chance of winning when you do play. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

You can play casually and still want the best chance of winning when you do play. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
I agree with Kimo on this one. If you only engage in casual play, the difference in character strength is rarely large enough for you to need to tier whore.

This whole conversation reminds me of the "you're a poser" mentality of the early 90's grunge era. Pretty fucking immature.

Depending on who you talk to, when they say FGC they may be referring to one of two different things.

1) The competitive community. Offline tournament players.

2) All people who play fighting games.

My experience is that a lot of strong players and content creators are usually referring to group 1 when they say "FGC", and when they want to grow the "FGC", that's what they hope for (though it's obvious that group 2 needs to grow before group 1 can).

BiggNife

Also, as mentioned earlier, I do agree that sometimes Max's reactions can seem forced/exaggerated in some of his YT vids, but his streams are usually just him being really down-to-earth and playing casually with his friends, which is probably why they're fun to watch. You can tell max genuinely enjoys the stuff he plays.

And I don't think PL is really justified in his frustration towards Max. Streaming isn't about being really good at a game, it's about entertaining, and Max is a great entertainer. And his comment about Max getting free money is bullshit, because Max works his ass off producing content in addition to the streams.

.la1n

Saying he was "misunderstood" was bullshit. There was nothing to misunderstand in that email, it was all stated pretty clearly.

Either apologize all the way or don't apologize at all.

Honestly I would have respected a simple "I was frustrated and f*cked up" a lot more. We've all done it.

vulva

I agree with Kimo on this one. If you only engage in casual play, the difference in character strength is rarely large enough for you to need to tier whore.
You don't like street fighter 4 but when you do play you pick blanka. If a patch came out and blanka received significant buffs, do you think you'd mess around and check them out?

Yeah this is not true at all. People don't like to lose, even whatever minor perceived slights and nerfs will create real or imagined problems. Now that doesn't mean that on a casual level these problems are not solvable with more time and practice, but tier lists do matter even if it is just psychological.

Kimosabae

Banned
Juicebox:

In one of our previous conversations, you made a comment regarding Xrd that's stuck with me. You called it too "specific". I've thought a lot about what you could possibly mean by that to not much avail. Would you mind going into more detail in regards to that?

I agree with him for most games, but not with Xrd.

I don't want to come across as an annoyance but would you mind humoring me?

Yeah this is not true at all. People don't like to lose, even whatever minor perceived slights and nerfs will create real or imagined problems. Now that doesn't mean that on a casual level these problems are not solvable with more time and practice, but tier lists do matter even if it is just psychological.

I don't think anyone is saying that "tier lists don't matter". For whom they actually matter is a small subset of the pool of fighting game players.

To me, this is clearly one of those circumstances where you should have the proper perspective in clear focus, regarding what you ultimately want from the game you're playing.

Top Bottom