• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 4-10 | WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!

Csr

I've come to accept I can't watch any YT personalities anymore because of super exaggerated emotions all the time. Maybe it's because I'm a fly on the wall type or that's the YT game you gotta play to make a living (appeal to kids by being cartoon-like), but I'm already turned off upon seeing some of these thumbnails.

This extends as far as Excellent Adventures too.

That is exactly how i felt the first time i saw a YT personality. It feels like i am watching a kid's show. I don't see the appeal.

That PL message seems very immature.

convo

I actually don't know how much fighting game streamers and donation-call-out streamers overlap right now. Imagine a tourney being played out like that.
Except AGDQ and other charity stuff..

Beckx

I've come to accept I can't watch any YT personalities anymore because of super exaggerated emotions all the time

This is how I personally feel about it but I figure the content isn't aimed at me anyway.

One of my kids absolutely loves one of the big Minecrafter youtubers. The guy is always screaming like he's on meth and his hair is on fire, all the time. But apparently he's huge in minecraft stuff with paid content and servers and all that.

I actually don't know how much fighting game streamers and donation-call-out streamers overlap right now. Imagine a tourney being played out like that.
Except AGDQ and other charity stuff..

Remember Raffle-Gate? How time flies.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm not a fan of streams with a lot of theatrics like Max's BUT I respect them. Being that excited and entertaining constantly must be draining. Hell even more so if it's forced, imagine having to act excited day in day out on a game you really didn't like... fuck that. So congratulations to anyone that can do that and be successful, they deserve it.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163095250]wtf[/QUOTE]

Man, Shouta and I sponsored like 5 players for NWM, you think 500-1k is THAT much of a big deal? :p

Assuming he takes lets say, 50 hours to do a full playthrough, that's $10-20 an hour for entertainment. Where we live...that's pretty normal / even kinda cheap.

Man, Shouta and I sponsored like 5 players for NWM, you think 500-1k is THAT much of a big deal? :p

Assuming he takes lets say, 50 hours to do a full playthrough, that's $10-20 an hour for entertainment. Where we live...that's pretty normal / even kinda cheap.

Traveling actually costs money, though. Paying someone some arbitrarily large sum of money to play a fun game seems kinda dumb.

Onemic

PL says he hates streaming and wants to not strea muchm then complains about others getting more views than him...da fuk?

He isn't that good at streaming tbh. That's why he doesnt get the views. I mean he doesnt even know how to treat sub privileges right. For example, subs can add music they want to a queue, but PL pretty much chooses it because he'll change the song if he doesnt like it.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163097458]Traveling actually costs money, though. Paying someone some arbitrarily large sum of money to play a fun game seems kinda dumb.[/QUOTE]

Better than being a top lover

PL says he hates streaming and wants to not strea muchm then complains about others getting more views than him...da fuk?

He isn't that good at streaming tbh. That's why he doesnt get the views. I mean he doesnt even know how to treat sub privileges right. For example, subs can add music they want to a queue, but PL pretty much chooses it because he'll change the song if he doesnt like it.

I don't get this at all. You can pay someone to change the music they're listening to while playing a game? How is this worth money?

Is twitch.tv just indistinguishable from camwhoring or something?

notworksafe

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163097833]I don't get this at all. You can pay someone to change the music they're listening to while playing a game? How is this worth money?

Is twitch.tv just indistinguishable from camwhoring or something?[/QUOTE]

It's seriously the same shit. Making dudes pay real money for using little emotes, changing the song, and being able to play (aka lose to) you in videogames.

Makes me glad I don't have subs active on my channel...it leads to people demanding weird shit.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163097458]Traveling actually costs money, though. Paying someone some arbitrarily large sum of money to play a fun game seems kinda dumb.[/QUOTE]

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's not kind of dumb. It would be COMPLETELY dumb.

But; it comes down to entertainment - and at the time, I was stuck doing hours and hours of OT every week. So the idea of giving someone a large sum of money to play my favorite game of all time on stream while I was working didn't seem completely insane at the time. If that was to be the case - then why not have it be someone who I think is enjoyable to watch, pretty genuine, and someone who has worked really hard to get where he is? I mean - I don't know about Shouta, but that's why I liked bringing Art to NWM - he works his ass off and doesn't get enough respect or recognition for it.

Ferrio

Banned
Aris is a great streamer for MKX, he doesn't get Justin's or Max's numbers but he has good fans that appreciate his streams.

Yep, been watching him for the past couple of months regularly. Have him on in the background at work. Nice chill stream, and some of the shit that comes out of his mouth. Holy shit that MKX tourny online the other day... he just went off on that dude... was hilarious.

sikvod00

Banned

Exactly! This is what kills me about the rant. He complains about viewers distracting him by asking the same questions over and over....welcome to streaming 101.

pixelish

donating that amount of money to a guy playing video games on a livestream=/= giving an opportunity for these players to participate in an offline event which they wouldn't have gone due to financial matters.

but don't mind me, it's your money anyway so you're free to spend them however you want.

It's seriously the same shit. Making dudes pay real money for using little emotes, changing the song, and being able to play (aka lose to) you in videogames.

Makes me glad I don't have subs active on my channel...it leads to people demanding weird shit.

500 bucks and I'll play an RPG
1000 bucks and I'll call my friends over ;)
if we get to 2500 in one day I'll play goat simulator in my underwear <3<3<3
everyone that donates 200 gets a set of three 15-minute videos of me losing in counter-strike, this week only!

Shouta

Not if you're deriving entertainment from it. 3 people playing a 30 hour game is like 10 dollars an hour per person if you gave them 1000 to do it. You could get a lot of comedy out of it. I mean, Gamecenter CX has Arino playing games on TV and it's a pretty popular program that's been running for 10+ years now. Folks enjoy watching others player stuff.

Sayad

Seriously, reading that felt like reading a list of "why PL isn't a popular streamer" and then in the last point he complain about not being a popular streamer.

notworksafe

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163098286]500 bucks and I'll play an RPG
1000 bucks and I'll call my friends over ;)
if we get to 2500 in one day I'll play goat simulator in my underwear <3<3<3
everyone that donates 200 gets a set of three 15-minute videos of me losing in counter-strike, this week only![/QUOTE]

Twitch had to put in a rule about being required to wear clothes while streaming for a reason lol

Not if you're deriving entertainment from it. 3 people playing a 30 hour game is like 10 dollars an hour per person if you gave them 1000 to do it. You could get a lot of comedy out of it. I mean, Gamecenter CX has Arino playing games on TV and it's a pretty popular program that's been running for 10+ years now. Folks enjoy watching others player stuff.

It took me 50 hours to beat Bloodborne, and that game only cost me sixty bucks. I dunno how From Software gets away with such crazy discounts.

convo

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163097833]

Is twitch.tv just indistinguishable from camwhoring or something?[/QUOTE]

Man i don't know what to tell you there man, i thought that was just an established thing by the people who really want to make money on twitch. Getting the most out of a person['s face] and what a person can do besides playing the game seems to be the secret behind big streamers. I really have no clue sometimes what they are talking about when they talk to their viewers sometimes it's like a white haze.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
donating that amount of money to a guy playing video games on a livestream=/= giving an opportunity for these players to participate in an offline event which they wouldn't have gone due to financial matters.

but don't mind me, it's your money anyway so you're free to spend them however you want.

For me it's also a matter of FGC growth. I don't think Max was nearly as big at the time when this happened; and while its awesome that these people do the streams and play games for the love of the game - it isn't sustainable when there is not some money coming in somehow. It's the most depressing part of the FGC - you see the hunger and the skill and the tenacity and the hard work, but everyone sort of expects them to do it for free, and then we wonder why the scene doesn't grow. We keep wanting OTHER people to put that money in.

sikvod00

Banned
Oh, don't get me wrong, it's not kind of dumb. It would be COMPLETELY dumb.

But; it comes down to entertainment - and at the time, I was stuck doing hours and hours of OT every week. So the idea of giving someone a large sum of money to play my favorite game of all time on stream while I was working didn't seem completely insane at the time. If that was to be the case - then why not have it be someone who I think is enjoyable to watch, pretty genuine, and someone who has worked really hard to get where he is? I mean - I don't know about Shouta, but that's why I liked bringing Art to NWM - he works his ass off and doesn't get enough respect or recognition for it.
Edit: my post is in regards to Ogawa being brought to NWM.
Paying for international players to come over, beat us, and make even more money in the process is a proud American tradition. Don't be ashamed of it. ;)

It's also why I'm starting to care less about the complaints of perceived rudeness when we actually beat their asses on home soil and the crowd gets a lil rowdy with the cheesy USA USA USA. Chances are we paid for them to be there,or they're treated like celebrities.

Yep, been watching him for the past couple of months regularly. Have him on in the background at work. Nice chill stream, and some of the shit that comes out of his mouth. Holy shit that MKX tourny online the other day... he just went off on that dude... was hilarious.

Aris is the chillest streamer on Twitch.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Paying for international players to come over, beat us, and make even more money in the process is a proud American tradition. Don't be ashamed of it. ;)

It's also why I'm starting to care less about the complaints of perceived rudeness when we actually beat their asses on home soil and the crowd gets a lil rowdy with the cheesy USA USA USA. Chances are we paid for them to be there,or they're treated like celebrities.

Please, I'm 99% convinced Shouta paid for KOG purely to get some T.Hawk knowledge off of him. :D

Ogawa I think is one that ended up paying lots of dividends - he may start coming more to US tournaments on his own (I think he realized how free the US is in Xrd). Shouta is the one responsible for the three international players - we split Arturo 50/50 and I flew Gilty (we are both from STL originally) out to NWM with some extra airline miles I had that were going away.

Negaduck

Never have never been paid to market/play a game on Youtube/Twitch. I play the games I enjoy the most. For as much as I get accused of selling out, I should probably start selling out.

ALL LIES: We got $50,000 to play B.I.O. Freaks from Midway.

I do gotta say, it was great seeing you play some bio freaks because I loved the shit out of that game when I was younger.

Now that I know fighting games I just see how janky it was.

Those character designs are dope though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Counting other people's pockets is not worth it unless they affect you somehow. I think if someone who is bleeding money wants to pay $1k to see someone else have fun and it's harmless, hey, go ahead. I can think of a better way to spend that, but I'm poor and that's me, and you can't put a price on happiness~

That said, I'm in the market for a sugar mama myself. Kadey where you at bb?

Shouta

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163098625]It took me 50 hours to beat Bloodborne, and that game only cost me sixty bucks. I dunno how From Software gets away with such crazy discounts.[/QUOTE]

Dat volume But that's a pretty different thing since their objective is pretty different.

I agreed on Art because I wanted him to see how Seattle was like. But I also fly players out so they can meet new people and make friends with them either with the players that I flew over or making friends with the folks that are attracted to the because of those players that I'm paying for.

Lots of folks don't get to travel for events so the next best thing is to bring it to them.

MormaPope

Banned
I've probably watched over a thousand hours of youtube and twitch content, never felt obliged to subscribe or donate money. Shit I enjoy can change on the fly and there is so much already made content out there, paying someone for adding more content onto the pile isn't something I'm passionate about.

It is what it is.

Man i don't know what to tell you there man, i thought that was just an established thing by the people who really want to make money on twitch. Getting the most out of a person['s face] and what a person can do besides playing the game seems to be the secret behind big streamers. I really have no clue sometimes what they are talking about when they talk to their viewers sometimes it's like a white haze.

Ok all my GB's Jeebies, convo puts up a great question here. I'm glad everyone has such an interest in the streaming community. Before I get into it, I'd like to remind everybody that today's stream is brought to you by NeoGAF dot com, it's a great website for following the news in videogames. If you like that sort of stuff, I highly recommend checking it out. By the way, GBlovr57, thanks for the sub, I see you there in the chat! Anyway, Neogaf is a real family, right? And families watch out for each other. So for today only, I've got a coupon code for 15% off GAF Gold subs. I got you guys. It's all about the community. Speaking of community, I'm at 35% right now on my "I really want to buy The Witcher 3" patreon account. You guys wanna see me stream it, I wanna stream it, let's make it happen. It's all a community effort guys.

Anyway, that's it for Today with GB, thanks for the question Convo, and to all my GB's Jeebies, thanks for staying fans.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
might as well throw this out there now while GB has got the thread hot

Who can do a spotlight and PM it to me before Sunday night? Don't care who it is, don't care to take time to votes, I just want someone who will do it.

I guess I should just start a reserve of these things, but yeah it's getting increasingly difficult to put them together or get people to do them in a reasonable time.

For me it's also a matter of FGC growth. I don't think Max was nearly as big at the time when this happened; and while its awesome that these people do the streams and play games for the love of the game - it isn't sustainable when there is not some money coming in somehow. It's the most depressing part of the FGC - you see the hunger and the skill and the tenacity and the hard work, but everyone sort of expects them to do it for free, and then we wonder why the scene doesn't grow. We keep wanting OTHER people to put that money in.

Is Max part of the FGC?

fader

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163099816]Ok all my GB's Jeebies, convo puts up a great question here. I'm glad everyone has such an interest in the streaming community. Before I get into it, I'd like to remind everybody that today's stream is brought to you by NeoGAF dot com, it's a great website for following the news in videogames. If you like that sort of stuff, I highly recommend checking it out. By the way, GBlovr57, thanks for the sub, I see you there in the chat! Anyway, Neogaf is a real family, right? And families watch out for each other. So for today only, I've got a coupon code for 15% off GAF Gold subs. I got you guys. It's all about the community. Speaking of community, I'm at 35% right now on my "I really want to buy The Witcher 3" patreon account. You guys wanna see me stream it, I wanna stream it, let's make it happen. It's all a community effort guys.

Anyway, that's it for Today with GB, thanks for the question Convo, and to all my GB's Jeebies, thanks for staying fans.[/QUOTE]

I like how you never get to the question lol. fabulous writing.

Fraeon

If nobody else is willing to do the spotlight, I can do it.

I can also do everything GB promises to do on stream but with a $50 discount.

Except for the underwear part. Replace that with heavy drinking.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Is Max part of the FGC?

At least somewhat I think; he is definitely the highest profile streamer of fighting games, and he introduces a lot of the newer fans we see in KI and MKX to the FGC. James Chen has a pretty good story about how at least one prominent player got into FGs from watching Max videos - and I bet there are a lot of casual / in between casual and hardcore FG players who got inspired from Max.

I think that sort of means something.

might as well throw this out there now while GB has got the thread hot

Who can do a spotlight and PM it to me before Sunday night? Don't care who it is, don't care to take time to votes, I just want someone who will do it.

I guess I should just start a reserve of these things, but yeah it's getting increasingly difficult to put them together or get people to do them in a reasonable time.

I can do it entirely in my stream personality and show off more of my intense distaste for these people.

At least somewhat I think; he is definitely the highest profile streamer of fighting games, and he introduces a lot of the newer fans we see in KI and MKX to the FGC. James Chen has a pretty good story about how at least one prominent player got into FGs from watching Max videos - and I bet there are a lot of casual / in between casual and hardcore FG players who got inspired from Max.

I think that sort of means something.

He also streams concurrently with fighting game events. No hosting.

Top Bottom