• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMI

Banned
Picked up my Momohime today. It looks gorgeous. Also the box didn't look to be damaged at all even though Amiami rated it a C. It's really strange. I need to figure out what this extra piece of her outfit is.

I believe that extra piece is to change one of the poses on her arms. congrats on the fig! I was also really pleased when I got mine. It's really gorgeous.

Momo is amazing. She's really the figure that snapped me out of the "gateway drug" bishoujo phase of figure collecting. Her and Hacker Chelsea. I blame them both. XD

I'm completely in love with my Kotobukiya Squid Girl that I got pre-owned from AmiAmi. Such an adorable figure. She was in Item: A / Box: B condition, and the only imperfection I could see was a small, maybe 2" long crease on the bottom flap of the box. The Japanese impress me with their capacity to be so anal about box condition. Other than that, she appeared to be factory sealed. Great figure for $40... about $30 less than retail for her. She's squidding perfect.

This one.

george_us

As a big fan of Odin Sphere, I'm thinking about picking up that Yamato Velvet figure. $140 is a little steep but hot damn does it look amazing.

Are pre-owned AmiAmi figures fairly high quality? Very tempted to grab one of these.

A will basically look new. B varies of course, but also stands a chance of looking new because they're pretty strict graders. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an A and personally am happy with the couple of Bs I've bought from them as well.

Edit: I'll also throw in my opinion that Velvet is an excellent figure. One of my favourites as well, and considering the price she's at it's a no brainer.

johnsmith

remember me
Are pre-owned AmiAmi figures fairly high quality? Very tempted to grab one of these.

An A figure will be unopened. A B figure will be opened but without any visible damage or missing pieces. A B box will be pretty much flawless. Any slight damage to the box is just as likely to happen during normal shipping for a new figure anyway.

I've bought plenty of B figures from them and have never been disappointed.

Toki767

Yeah, my A/C Momohime box didn't even look touched. I'm not sure if a piece of tape was cut and that qualified for making it a C rating or what but it looked brand new.

george_us

An A figure will be unopened. A B figure will be opened but without any visible damage or missing pieces. A B box will be pretty much flawless. Any slight damage to the box is just as likely to happen during normal shipping for a new figure anyway.

I've bought plenty of B figures from them and have never been disappointed.
Ha woke up this morning, checked AmiAmi, and saw that she was sold out. But I'll definitely be keeping my eye on preowned stuff from now on.

RMI

Banned
Ha woke up this morning, checked AmiAmi, and saw that she was sold out. But I'll definitely be keeping my eye on preowned stuff from now on.

setting up a figinstock notification, if you haven't already, is a really good idea for keeping track of pre-owned items on amiami.

Dthomp

She's available preowned for a lot cheaper.
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIG-MOE-1096

6,780JPY B/B
8,480 A/B

She is probably my all time favorite figure. You will not be disappointed if you get her.

So excited, saw the B/B before checking the boards here and nabbed it. Been wanting it for a while, my wife loved Odin Sphere and really liked the figure so this will be a big surprise. Just have to wait for combined order with my figma Samus and Link this month.

kunonabi

I was so planning to get out of buying figures but now I'm on the hook for that Ryo Hazuki figure, Heather Mason, and the Link figma. I don't even know why I bother trying to save money.

Rootbeer

Banned
FigureGAF... my mailman just set me up. So very happy right now.

He called me to go pick up a package in the lobby. I was thrilled because I've been having problems getting them to either call me or leave it in our building lobby. Today I was in luck and the timing was on my side.

So when I get down there to sign, we have a bit of friendly chat, and he hands me a small stack of those cards you sign for packages that require a signature. He told me that, if I trust him, I can leave some pre-signed ones with him and then he can just leave my items in the lobby for me and I'll never have to deal with going to the post office again. He showed me a bunch of other pre-signed ones he keeps in his bag for other people on his route. One person had about 10 pre-signed ones--a heavy orderer, no doubt.

It would sound shady except that I see this mailman every day and I did get his name, so I feel confident he's not a bad person. So I agreed, and now I'm set! Can order all I want from Japan worry-free :3 Going to the post office is not only a hassle but it can take forever.

Today's order:
Figma Kurapika (Hunter x Hunter)
would also have the new Figma Guts but as we all know, it was delayed :(

I was so planning to get out of buying figures but now I'm on the hook for that Ryo Hazuki figure, Heather Mason, and the Link figma. I don't even know why I bother trying to save money.

You're not alone. I swore off figures after my Sakura Miku... And then pre-ordered Dizzy, Mu, D-Arts Elizabeth, 2020 Miku, and a couple more...

And I'm probably going to grab a few Bishoujos as well.

I swear, there needs to be a 12-step program to get out of this. I feel Like Al Pachino from Carlito's Way: "Every time I try to get out, they pull me back in!"

You're not alone. I swore off figures after my Sakura Miku... And then pre-ordered Dizzy, Mu, D-Arts Elizabeth, 2020 Miku, and a couple more...

And I'm probably going to grab a few Bishoujos as well.

I swear, there needs to be a 12-step program to get out of this. I feel Like Al Pachino from Carlito's Way: "Every time I try to get out, they pull me back in!"

I'm hoping to cut down drastically on figures in 2014. I'll definitely be in for some Attack on Titan figures, and I'll keep up with the Monogatari line. But impulse buys are going to be few and far between. I hope. (And OMG I NEED Koto's Dark Angel Olivia. NEEEEEEEEEED it.)

As for bishoujos, they're starting to lose their appeal for me. Some of them, like X-Force Psylocke, are still easy buys... but I think for the most part, their job as the gateway drug of figure collecting is done.

I'm still a big fan of Koto's work, though. And I like the Kotobukiya Squid Girl A LOT. Maybe even more than I should, but I love it. She's tentacular.

So this arrived today:

ibzuSCZFk414D6.jpg

iboxcSLULU5p4h.jpg

iXOnio0ebPEc5.jpg

ixt4WmQIEScX3.jpg

I know many of you don't collect stuff bigger than 1/6(heck most of you don't collect bigger than 1/7) but I'm pretty sure some of you may find interest in this Red Sonja piece. She's 1/4 scale btw. Price is going to be 379.99

Fucking gorgeous. The pricing is the reason I don't buy statues like this, though. $379 is so close to being a PS4 that the difference in price is negligible. I'm irresponsible enough with money to buy figures up to 1/6, but sideshow is expensive to the point where I can't rationalize spending that much on each piece.

I know many of you don't collect stuff bigger than 1/6(heck most of you don't collect bigger than 1/7) but I'm pretty sure some of you may find interest in this Red Sonja piece. She's 1/4 scale btw. Price is going to be 379.99
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/experience/2013/10/01/the-she-devil-with-a-sword-red-sonja/

Very nice. What can I expect in terms of sculpt and paintwork?

I've seen a review of Poison Ivy and the paint job looks a bit dodgy in some places. Some skin color overlapped into parts of the vines and leaves. Also I noticed that there were some scrapes and little pit marks on the body . Not sure if that's normal for these type of figures.

LiK

SS 1/4 Commander Shep arrived. Just like with my Hot Toys, I'm a lil lazy at opening the shipping boxes right now to take pics. Maybe this weekend.

hitmon

Not much a figure collector, but I'm a huge Fire Emblem fan. Need some advice on the Tharja figure that is currently up for preorder.

1. Is amiami the best place to get it? Any other reputable places that may have it cheaper?
2. Is Good Smile Company known for quality?

Thanks in advance.

johnsmith

remember me
Not much a figure collector, but I'm a huge Fire Emblem fan. Need some advice on the Tharja figure that is currently up for preorder.

1. Is amiami the best place to get it? Any other reputable places that may have it cheaper?

Thanks in advance.
Amiami is the cheapest. That's where I ordered from.

And yes, this is being made by Max Factory, who is the best. This is guaranteed to turn out great.

And yes, this is being made by Max Factory, who is the best. This is guaranteed to turn out great.

Max Factory better than Alter? Say wha? Or are you docking points because Alter releases everything six months late?

GSC is right up there in the top three with Alter and Max Factory. So yes, they put out good figures.

Arveene

Neo Member
FigureGAF... my mailman just set me up. So very happy right now.

He called me to go pick up a package in the lobby. I was thrilled because I've been having problems getting them to either call me or leave it in our building lobby. Today I was in luck and the timing was on my side.

So when I get down there to sign, we have a bit of friendly chat, and he hands me a small stack of those cards you sign for packages that require a signature. He told me that, if I trust him, I can leave some pre-signed ones with him and then he can just leave my items in the lobby for me and I'll never have to deal with going to the post office again. He showed me a bunch of other pre-signed ones he keeps in his bag for other people on his route. One person had about 10 pre-signed ones--a heavy orderer, no doubt.

It would sound shady except that I see this mailman every day and I did get his name, so I feel confident he's not a bad person. So I agreed, and now I'm set! Can order all I want from Japan worry-free :3 Going to the post office is not only a hassle but it can take forever.

Today's order:
Figma Kurapika (Hunter x Hunter)
would also have the new Figma Guts but as we all know, it was delayed :(

I was wondering if anyone else did that. I had the same set up with my package carrier at my previous address. New guy seems pretty awesome too, but I've been home a lot more often now so there might not be any need to.

johnsmith

remember me
Max Factory better than Alter? Say wha? Or are you docking points because Alter releases everything six months late?

Max Factory is better than Alter for me. No question. Alter does quality work, but they usually pick boring poses and plain bases. Good bases like Momohime are the exception rather than the rule.

On the other hand, Max Factory does this
eGSWMxi.png

Very nice. What can I expect in terms of sculpt and paintwork?

I've seen a review of Poison Ivy and the paint job looks a bit dodgy in some places. Some skin color overlapped into parts of the vines and leaves. Also I noticed that there were some scrapes and little pit marks on the body . Not sure if that's normal for these type of figures.
Since the figures are so big I find that it's easier to find paint issues but sideshow tends to knock it out of the park most of the time. But for every Shaak Ti and Darth Talon there is an Aayla Secura(she had a lame paint application compared to latter 2). The prototypes are usually a pretty good target for how pieces will be close to looking like.

As for statue sculpt what you see in the prototye is the same. I don't recall any instances where sculpt changed from prototype to final product. It's also a good habit to overanalyze a stataue sculpt in the product page pictures before dropping down cash on a pre-order because you can usually tell if the piece will be good or not if you look at a bunch of pics before hand. Thankfully Red Sonja got a lot of photos/video from comic con and she looked awesome in those so I'm sure she'll come out great.

SS 1/4 Commander Shep arrived. Just like with my Hot Toys, I'm a lil lazy at opening the shipping boxes right now to take pics. Maybe this weekend.
Hopefully he turns out ok. I love the character but the pictures on the product page didn't look to great and the in hand pics of him that I've seen of him so far looked bad too

Thanks in advance.

Any time you ask a question regarding a piece that johnsmith likes he will be the first person to answer your question and recommend the piece. Lucky for you johnsmith has very good taste in figures ;).

hitmon

GSC is right up there in the top three with Alter and Max Factory. So yes, they put out good figures.

Thanks for the feedback! So I've ordered something from amiami previously. First time going through the preorder process though. How do I apply points I've earned? Since this is a preorder, do they send an invoice closer towards release where I pay through paypal?

Thanks for the feedback! So I've ordered something from amiami previously. First time going through the preorder process though. How do I apply points I've earned? Since this is a preorder, do they send an invoice closer towards release where I pay through paypal?

They never charge you for an item without having you log in to finalize payment. If memory serves, you'll be able to apply any points during final checkout once all items in the order are in-stock.

I always have to say this since its pretty important. You can't cancel any orders on amiami without risk of an account/ip/address ban. So keep that in mind.

They don't bill you until it ships, even then you can change your shipping method.

Points are given once you have actually paid for the product and can be used at the billing/shipping stage of an order.

I always have to say this since its pretty important. You can't cancel any orders on amiami without risk of an account/ip/address ban. So keep that in mind.

I once canceled like, nine things at once with no negative repercussions. I never expect that to happen again, but it did happen.

I think it at least partially has something to do with the mood of the person answering emails.

I once canceled like, nine things at once with no negative repercussions. I never expect that to happen again, but it did happen.

I think it at least partially has something to do with the mood of the person answering emails.

And probably how often you shop through them. I figure your a regular with them by now as well so that probably plays a part

hitmon

They never charge you for an item without having you log in to finalize payment. If memory serves, you'll be able to apply any points during final checkout once all items in the order are in-stock.

Thanks! Just placed my order, now for the nervous waiting period.

They don't bill you until it ships, even then you can change your shipping method.

Points are given once you have actually paid for the product and can be used at the billing/shipping stage of an order.

Thanks for the warning!

at the same time there are people who cancel a few things (3-4) and have had an account ban. It really depends on the mood of the person and especially if it was a pre-owned.

Pre-owned are more likely to get banned while PO aren't, but they are all risk. Basically, commit to your orders.

Max Factory is better than Alter for me. No question. Alter does quality work, but they usually pick boring poses and plain bases. Good bases like Momohime are the exception rather than the rule.

On the other hand, Max Factory does this

Agreed. This is why Alter are my least favourite of the big 3. You mentioned Max Factory, and GSC have these:

There's more examples, but I own all of these. This isn't to trash Alter at all, but a lot of people treat them as the best like it's a foregone conclusion and outside of equating manufacturing quality with overall quality, I've never understood why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom