• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The IKEA Detolf is the standard, but you need to have an IKEA nearby.

Speaking of which, does anybody know how big the box for a Detolf is, rougly? I'm going to NYC next month and the Brooklynn Ikea might be worth stopping by at if it'll fit in the back of a Camry or Civic with the back seat down. Not sure who's car we're taking yet.

Ikea post the dimensions of the packaging on their site:

Package measurement and weight
Width : 42 cm
Height : 8 cm
Length : 166 cm
Weight : 42.3 kg

No idea if it would fit in an average sized car though.

Since we're on the subject, we all get Detolf's mainly down to the price, right? I mean any other glass cabinet display I've seen are considerably more expensive.

Yeah, totally. There doesn't seem to be a good inbetween option. It's a Detolf or something more than double the price. I'd consider measuring my display area and either getting custom cases or something more purpose built for big collections if I wasn't renting and had a more permanent set up.

Since we're on the subject, we all get Detolf's mainly down to the price, right? I mean any other glass cabinet display I've seen are considerably more expensive.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes

Only reason is the price, I plan to upgrade my shelves as soon as I'm done building up my collection, problem is every other day there is something new to buy, and the more figures I buy the more I need another detolf...

It's the circle of collecting life...

Lockon

The IKEA Detolf is the standard, but you need to have an IKEA nearby.

Hmmm...I'm in TN lol no Ikea at all in the whole state. Oh well, the Detolf is a bit too tall for me anyway. I have 16 inch tall, 4 ft wide (approximately) cabinet, the displaying case have to be on top of it. I'll go hunting down one at the local stores over the weekend.

Edit: I don't have a big collection, about 5-6 Gundam models and some other figures. Just wanted to get something so my stuffs doesn't get cover in dust all the time.

Toki767

I think part of the allure of the detolfs are that you can see the figures from the side as well. That said, I ended up just buying some display cases from The Container Store to keep dust from my figures. They're acrylic so they aren't the most premium material and they can feel flimsy at times but they do the job until I can make room for a taller cabinet or detolf.

http://m.containerstore.com/mt/www.containerstore.com/shop/collections/display/cubesCases?productId=10001589&N=233&Ns=p_sort_default%7C0

http://m.containerstore.com/mt/www....?productId=10001591&N=233&Ns=p_sort_default|0

chrono01

I don't know why, but I want these.

Hatsune...Miku...is that you?

ibsthMGmMCWOKv.jpg

Hello nurs...e...?...

iUqAQfPlqMOXy.jpg

Sorry about the size, these are the only pictures I could find. Both are scheduled for January 2014 [orz] with a retail price of around 11,200 [before discounts].

I'm tempted to grab the Hatsune Miku-inspired one at the very least. It's so unique [and terrifying].

Ikea post the dimensions of the packaging on their site:

Package measurement and weight
Width : 42 cm
Height : 8 cm
Length : 166 cm
Weight : 42.3 kg

No idea if it would fit in an average sized car though.

I wouldn't even try it. I brought my SUV when I went to buy them, and even with the back seats down, I had to angle them. Also, bring at least one extra person. Detolfs are heavy as a mother fuck.

In other news, Art Spirits is coming out with their own Metallica figure. Why they're even bothering to compete with Phat's version, I don't know.

Jayhawk

I managed to fit a Detolf inside my Mazda 3 hatchback with the back seats down and the passenger seat leaning forward as much as possible.

RMI

Banned
I managed to fit a Detolf inside my Mazda 3 hatchback with the back seats down and the passenger seat leaning forward as much as possible.

damn it my girlfriend will probably want to sit in that seat.

she'll understand, right?

zoku88

You're absolutely right, I was mistaken. Apologies.

It doesn't make her any less desirable, though. :(
from my experience, it's only the painting part that is hard. putting together resin kits is usually pretty trivial. so, you should get it! ;)

since you mentioned it, now I want it :(

chrono01

from my experience, it's only the painting part that is hard. putting together resin kits is usually pretty trivial. so, you should get it! ;)

since you mentioned it, now I want it :(
It's actually pre-painted so it would just be assembly.

However, considering how expensive it is [10,000+ yen] I will have to pass, at least for now. :(

kewlmyc

I wouldn't even try it. I brought my SUV when I went to buy them, and even with the back seats down, I had to angle them. Also, bring at least one extra person. Detolfs are heavy as a mother fuck.

In other news, Art Spirits is coming out with their own Metallica figure. Why they're even bothering to compete with Phat's version, I don't know.

They come prebuilt? Really? I guess I'll never have one since a trip to the nearest Ikea is about a 3 hour roundtrip.

They come prebuilt? Really? I guess I'll never have one since a trip to the nearest Ikea is about a 3 hour roundtrip.

No, they aren't pre-built. The glass sides just make the box very tall. And heavy. Once you've got your first one done, they're almost dreadfully easy to put together.

Bombless

I don't know why, but I want these.

Hatsune...Miku...is that you?

ibsthMGmMCWOKv.jpg

Hello nurs...e...?...

iUqAQfPlqMOXy.jpg

Sorry about the size, these are the only pictures I could find. Both are scheduled for January 2014 [orz] with a retail price of around 11,200 [before discounts].

I'm tempted to grab the Hatsune Miku-inspired one at the very least. It's so unique [and terrifying].

I'm in for Miku. Maaaybe the nurse for mom, but she doesn't like creepy stuff so we'll see.

I'm in for Miku. Maaaybe the nurse for mom, but she doesn't like creepy stuff so we'll see.

Meh. They're neat, but I'm not nearly compelled enough to spend $100 on either one. Fuck that noise.

Also, why the fuck is N-Y selling Estelle pre-orders for $131? Check out the balls on those guys.

Didnt realize they will be doing (megahobby) Kise and Kagami figures, excited, maybe Ill eventually get them all except for the tall purple one if he gets made. I hope for a Takao at least. In any event will definitely keep following Kise!

chrono01

so I just made a figinstock profile. if/when I end up getting an email that something is in stock, I pretty much have to immediately go buy it, right? I have an amiami account already but not mandarake, should I make one in preparation for faster checkout? am I safe if it's in my cart or is it possible that once I finish checkout that someone else already did? you know how ticket websites hold your seats for 5 min to give you time to checkout, I assume that these websites are not set up the same way

RMI

Banned
so I just made a figinstock profile. if/when I end up getting an email that something is in stock, I pretty much have to immediately go buy it, right? I have an amiami account already but not mandarake, should I make one in preparation for faster checkout? am I safe if it's in my cart or is it possible that once I finish checkout that someone else already did? you know how ticket websites hold your seats for 5 min to give you time to checkout, I assume that these websites are not set up the same way

It really depends on the item. Some things will last for a couple of hours, and others will be gone within a few minutes. Having an amiami profile with your payment info stored is a good idea if you're worried about checkout times.

It really depends on the item. Some things will last for a couple of hours, and others will be gone within a few minutes. Having an amiami profile with your payment info stored is a good idea if you're worried about checkout times.

thanks for the reply. I went ahead and made a mandarake account. I'm looking for either of the Odin Sphere Gwendolyn statues, whichever shows up first. my wife almost got the Alter one off ebay for me but she got outbid plus I'm paranoid of fakes on ebay

Checked out those Creepy Miku figures on AmiAmi last night...big mistake.

Fucking straight-up nightmare fuel, especially since most of my collection consists of Miku figures...staring at me...from the shelves...

I'm curious about the source material for those, but I really like sleep...

Those creepy Mikus look awesome.

Anyway, I just bought the Metal Gear Rising Collector's Edition that comes with a Play Arts Kai fig of Raiden.

I've head that some figs get gross when they're kept in the box for too long. Something about the plastic excreting some oils which makes them all sticky. Does that happen only to your anime girl figs or am I in danger as well?

I don't really want to display it since it'll dwarf my Gundams and I don't want that. But if it'll get gross in the box then I'll have to do it.

Damn you all, I'm tempted to order a 'Mare-Miku now...

But only if I can find a Mikudayo to pair with her. If I'm going to scar myself for life, I might as well go all-in.

As for the Macross thing, tempting, but have a few OG ones sitting around (yes, I'm that old). Unfortunately, the boxes are thrashed, but I have alll the parts, including stickers.

RocBase

Didnt realize they will be doing (megahobby) Kise and Kagami figures, excited, maybe Ill eventually get them all except for the tall purple one if he gets made. I hope for a Takao at least. In any event will definitely keep following Kise!
Yup it looks like that series has its own line of figures, so they'll probably make one of everyone eventually.
Thanks for posting that link though, I'm glad I read it just for this:
Crunchyroll said:
Note: Images above do not represent the pose of the future figure.
Originally saw the announcement on MFC and assumed their pose would be based off of those pictures (didn't like Kise's).

The base is nice at least.

I know it's a wedding dress, but it's so hard to pull off a good-looking figure when one color is that dominant. The detailing is good, at least.

Wait, so in the true end he marries his sister? Gross.

It varies on whether it's the light novel or anime series we're talking about. In the light novel, they took the easy way out and revealed that Kirino and her brother weren't actually related by blood. So they got married. I believe the LN is what this figure is based on...

In the anime..... eh... it was stupid. And it felt really contrived.

Ayase is obviously best girl.

Looks like a decent upgrade from the Yamato 1/60 YF-19. I think they've nailed the proportions better in fighter mode without compromising battroid mode too much. That's always been a challenge for Valkyries that used a bit of "anime magic" to transform.
Arcadia is Yamato, just rebranded, so this is like a 2.0 for them. My Macross collecting days are behind me, but damn if that doesn't make me want to start again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom