• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw the movie last night and loved it. I really, really wish this was the armor version though and not the robes. I pre-ordered Super Man and if they do Zod or Faora I will probably grab those as well.

ohhh man if they make Faora hnnngghhhhhhhhhhh

tumblr_mphsy3vHqH1qegjq5o1_500.jpg

Not a really good likeness of Heather, but I would buy anyway lol

so im at ax for 1-2 more days. the dx miku and madoka sold out instantly. the ax exclusive madoka and miku are still there. i got one madoka. might keep, might flip marginally, not sure.

Yea Barrel I do, I'm currently working on this bust. Still have a bit of work to put in (panel line/wash, decals and some detail painting) but I'm proud of it because it was my first time working with LEDs and wiring and the lights worked! lol
That red Kshatriya looks sick.

SUPARSTARX

I hope Hot Toys does Zod and Faora. Easy money for them.

Already have Superman preordered. Bring it on the rest of them!

Jube3

So tempting to pick that up. I'm running out of places to put figures though! Have I really reached that shameful milestone in my collecting?

Hah yea I'm there too man. I took a bunch of stuff to work though which helped. Its where I keep my 2 foot batman lol. He watches over my desk, whats funny is I'll come back to my desk from time to time and someone will have him posed in a different way

7836021218_cc7d666f6a_n.jpg

That red Kshatriya looks sick.

8588023741_169db3cbde_b.jpg

Thanks man, it was the first kit I committed to fully painting everything. I wanted it to match the titanium finish sinanju as close as I could get it. Gold decals are from samueldecal and the paint finish is Aclad black with chrome on top followed by tamiya clear red. One of my favorite gundam kits even though its a HG. I've thought of making another one because I just love the shape of the kit, maybe one day I'll grab a 1/100 version.

Did anyone preorder Junko? I'm wondering if the demand for her will rise now that the game has been announced for a US release.
It breaks my brain trying to predict what figures will have high demand and what won't.

The pride of my paltry collection was Guts from Berserk in his berserker armor that seemingly was sold out everywhere upon release, but it's all over ebay only slightly above the original price.

I have deep sympathy for the brave souls who try to get into the figure reselling business and risk a ton that can blow up in their face.

sky

It breaks my brain trying to predict what figures will have high demand and what won't.

I have deep sympathy for the brave souls who try to get into the figure reselling business and risk a ton that can blow up in their face.

Yeah... I'd be curious to hear from some of the more experienced collectors here, about this.

High quality figures get hyped, and seem to sell out quickly... but then are sometimes restocked, or later on get a re-release. And with sites like amiami offering preowned now, there are more chances for rarer things to pop up now and then.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Thanks man, it was the first kit I committed to fully painting everything. I wanted it to match the titanium finish sinanju as close as I could get it. Gold decals are from samueldecal and the paint finish is Aclad black with chrome on top followed by tamiya clear red. One of my favorite gundam kits even though its a HG. I've thought of making another one because I just love the shape of the kit, maybe one day I'll grab a 1/100 version.

I'm a sucker for candy colored Gundam. I was thinking of doing some candy work on my Shin Musha. Excellent job with the Alclad!

Jube3

I'm a sucker for candy colored Gundam. I was thinking of doing some candy work on my Shin Musha. Excellent job with the Alclad!

Thanks Nico. That would look pretty sick. I've been tempted for a long time to pick up a Shin Musha (and the blue one as well) but keep putting it off. I think my next one will be the Geara Doga though which I want to do in Sinanju colors. A shelf of Candy Red, black and gold Sinanju, Kshatriya, Geara Doga and hopefully Rozen Zulu gets me hyped! :D

Wubby

Nice Kshatriya! At first glance I thought it was a MG.

How did you like working with the Alclad Black? I've heard nothing but bad things about it.

LadyRiven

Oh, hello new thread.

I'm currently reeling over the announcement of a Seragaki Aoba Nendoroid... and another scaled figure from DRAMAtical Murder... I hope it turns out to be Koujaku! I'm also looking forward to the Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko Nendoroid.

BTW, I am also on MFC with the same username I have here. (ladyriven) Add me if you want to.

I've been good lately. I haven't had many figures coming in. My latest was Gift's Akemi Homura, I think? And Nendoroid Kirito.

Amazing work. Looks excellent in red too,

LiK

Did anyone preorder Junko? I'm wondering if the demand for her will rise now that the game has been announced for a US release.

yea, i just preordered her from HLJ. kinda on the fence but if i end up loving the game, i don't wanna kick myself for passing on it. Great design anyway.

Jube3

Nice Kshatriya! At first glance I thought it was a MG.

How did you like working with the Alclad Black? I've heard nothing but bad things about it.

I really like it, although it takes a lot of time to get it working right. Prep is really important as any dust, scratches and fingerprints will show once you spray the black. So you have to really clean the pieces and spray it in an area where it wont get dusty or stuff will fly into it. It also smells absolutely awful so definitely do it outdoors. I sprayed it with an airbrush and the finish went one smooth, the gloss black is really striking and really reflective. I've only used it on a few pieces so not sure if there are any other issues people are having.

Heres a shot of the Kshatriya parts in black.

Yeah I did. Originally because I liked the design and the sculptor is one of my favourites. I played the first game afterwards and now I'm a straight up fan of the series as well.

Oh, hello new thread.

I'm currently reeling over the announcement of a Seragaki Aoba Nendoroid... and another scaled figure from DRAMAtical Murder... I hope it turns out to be Koujaku! I'm also looking forward to the Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko Nendoroid.

BTW, I am also on MFC with the same username I have here. (ladyriven) Add me if you want to.

I've been good lately. I haven't had many figures coming in. My latest was Gift's Akemi Homura, I think? And Nendoroid Kirito.

Nice colection. Aoba is probably going to be the pass I regret the most at the end of the year. A male character with a unique and interesting design that turned out great. Kind of a rarity. Like you say though, they did announce another one, so if that's good I won't miss out this time.

Nice colection. Aoba is probably going to be the pass I regret the most at the end of the year. A male character with a unique and interesting design that turned out great. Kind of a rarity. Like you say though, they did announce another one, so if that's good I won't miss out this time.

Aoba was an awesome figure. I almost picked him up for $118 post-release from Nippon-Yasan, but I passed. I mean, I wasn't familiar at all with the source material, and that's kind of a lot of scratch for one figure.

RocBase

Oh, hello new thread.

Oh man, I've also been foaming in the mouth over the news of a second DMMd figure since yesterday! I have more love for Noiz and Mink, but since no one really likes the latter I'm naturally banking more on Noiz – not that I won't be super thrilled with any other character honestly, or even another Aoba as some people were suspecting.

I've never bought a Nendo before, so Aoba will be my first haha. There should really be one of Clear, his character is perfect for that form. Too many goofy possibilities with that guy.

With a bit of luck, maybe they'll use the other character's official art as they're all crazy like the one Aoba was based on:
<3 Honyarara

What exactly was DRAMAtical Murder about? I checked the Wikipedia entry a while back, but as soon as I read "boys' love" I tuned out.

sca2511

So the cancellation went through, but after reading some blogs about how the Koto Kurisu is based on the manga version of her, I want her again, hahah. Maybe I can get her preowned for cheaper down the road.

So the cancellation went through, but after reading some blogs about how the Koto Kurisu is based on the manga version of her, I want her again, hahah. Maybe I can get her preowned for cheaper down the road.

No reason you can't just re-order her. You'll look like a sillyhead if anyone notices, or you could just order from a different retailer.

chrono01

Kotobukiya's version is closer to Huke's style, but I still prefer the look of GSC's. I'm not sure why, something about Kotobukiya's version bothers me, and I love Huke's artwork!

As for ordering it again, I believe AmiAmi has this thing where if you cancel a specific item that you're not allowed to order it again from them. I've never tested the theory myself, so I can't say for certain.

However, HS/HLJ should be no problem at all for you. :)

Also, in regards to Fiona, I don't think I'll be able to get her after all. For some reason I had thought August was free, but I have Belldandy and Holy Bell, Insane Black Rock Shooter, Melty, and Katsuragi scheduled for that month. I know IBRS and Melty will likely be delayed [Belldandy and Holy Bell too], but I do not want to take the risk. I might wait until closer to release and see if any are delayed before making my pre-order [if she's still available by then].

This month and August [well, December too] are by far my worst months. So many great releases in each!

What exactly was DRAMAtical Murder about? I checked the Wikipedia entry a while back, but as soon as I read "boys' love" I tuned out.

I wish I could tell you, but when the friend I have that played it attempted to explain it to me, I'm not sure I was any wiser afterwards. What I can remember:

It's set in a cyberpunky future. Aoba works in a junk shop in one district of an island that's split into several. He has a robot dog that's called an all mate that is the future replacement for pets. There are gangs that play a virtual reality fighting game called Lime. Aoba isn't in a gang but people want him to be. Weird shit starts happening and people think a gang called Morphine are responsible.

Maybe somebody else can give an actually useful description.

With a bit of luck, maybe they'll use the other character's official art as they're all crazy like the one Aoba was based on:

<3 Honyarara

Yeah that's awesome work. Noiz in particular. If he's next I will not complain.

Canceller's remorse? :p

Also, in regards to Fiona, I don't think I'll be able to get her after all. For some reason I had thought August was free, but I have Belldandy and Holy Bell, Insane Black Rock Shooter, Melty, and Katsuragi scheduled for that month. I know IBRS and Melty will likely be delayed [Belldandy and Holy Bell too], but I do not want to take the risk. I might wait until closer to release and see if any are delayed before making my pre-order [if she's still available by then].

I'm thinking I may pass on Fiona, too. I need that SH3 Heather Mason.

sky

You know... the lack of real high-quality Final Fantasy figures has to be one of the figure industry's biggest missed-opportunities. SE knows how important characters are, and obviously puts a ton of effort in to creating them for their games, and making sure they look as cool as possible. They're clearly obsessive about it.

There's SO MANY great figures for smaller franchises, but FF, with it's dozens of interesting designs, tons of outfits, not to mention hundreds of awesome monsters ....and we get the same crappy play-farts lineup every time. I really don't understand it. They could be some of the most beautiful figures, but for some reason they stick to the lower end. WHY.GIF!! :-/

There's SO MANY great figures for smaller franchises, but FF, with it's dozens of interesting designs, tons of outfits, not to mention hundreds of awesome monsters ....and we get the same crappy play-farts lineup every time. I really don't understand it. They could be some of the most beautiful figures, but for some reason they stick to the lower end. WHY.GIF!! :-/

Does Square even outsource any of their figures, or do they do everything in-house as part of their Play Arts Kai series?

RocBase

...Eh, now that I'm trying to think up of a summary, I don't even know how to go about it lol. There's a lot going on in that game.

Here's what Wiki has to say for it without spoiling anything:

A time far in the future.
In Midorijima, an island to the southwest of the Japanese islands.
People and nature once coexisted on this plentiful island.

However, due to being purchased by the leading company of Japan "Toue Company", one third of the island has been changed into the extravagant amusement facility "Platinum Jail". Equipped with the latest cutting edge technology, Platinum Jail has gathered attention. On the other side, the islanders who became victims of forceful development are forced into the "Former Residents District", and have no choice but to carry out their lives in a place that is by no means prosperous.

The protagonist Aoba spends his days working part-time at the junk shop "Heibon" inside the Former Residents District, living together with his grandmother Tae.

Among the young people of the Former Residents District, a certain game has become popular. In "Liebstiez", teams are created and days of human-bullet turf wars unfold. On the other hand, "Rhyme" is an electronic brain online game using a virtual world as its setting which "Rhymers" are going crazy over. Aoba shows no interest in either one, thinking that it would be nice to just live peacefully with his grandmother.

But the disaster that will shake up those peaceful days has already begun...

Lol the game is called Rhyme? Lime must be from a whack translation then.

Speaking about Fiona. Assuming she goes up for pre-order this month and comes out in August, I'm not a fan of that schedule. It's nice not having to wait, but it sucks for planning.

Speaking about Fiona. Assuming she goes up for pre-order this month and comes out in August, I'm not a fan of that schedule. It's nice not having to wait, but it sucks for planning.

The thing about her that gets me is that I like the pose, but beyond that, her character design is pretty unremarkable.

chrono01

I'm thinking I may pass on Fiona, too. I need that SH3 Heather Mason.
I love the imperfections on that Heather figure, you don't get that often. I don't feel the need to add her to my collection, but I can definitely see the appeal. She's a really interesting piece.

Yeah, having a little more than a month before release? Umm, a little notification would have been nice, Wing. If I had known earlier, I could have made alternate August pre-orders, but since I didn't, I'll now likely have to pass on her.

I don't know why figure manufacturers announce a pre-order date this close to release. I'm sure it's fine for those with little pre-orders [since they won't have to wait long], but for people who pre-order numerous figures each month it's a pretty big issue.

RocBase

You know... the lack of real high-quality Final Fantasy figures has to be one of the figure industry's biggest missed-opportunities. SE knows how important characters are, and obviously puts a ton of effort in to creating them for their games, and making sure they look as cool as possible. They're clearly obsessive about it.

Completely agree, this has been bothering me for a good while now. The worst part is their Static Arts series isn't nearly as horrible as the Playarts but they're still subpar compared to other manufacturers. I'm guessing this is mostly all just down to a business decision to do everything themselves the cheaper way, but it truly is unfortunate.

Lol the game is called Rhyme? Lime must be from a whack translation then.
Yeah I know several different summaries had varying localizations on that one but for the patch anyway the TL group localized it as Rhyme lol.

LiK

Does Square even outsource any of their figures, or do they do everything in-house as part of their Play Arts Kai series?

They used to have companies like Koto etc do their stuff. But now they have Play-Arts so they stick with their own brand. Not sure when you guys started collecting but I have a ton of high quality FF figures from before Play-Arts existed.

The thing about her that gets me is that I like the pose, but beyond that, her character design is pretty unremarkable.

I agree she's nothing crazy. The draw is just that it's a really good sculpt of Shunya Yamashita's artwork, on a level above something like the bishoujo statues. Yoshizawa Mitsumasa is really the only other one I know of that's done his work justice outside of GKs.

Yeah, having a little more than a month before release? Umm, a little notification would have been nice, Wing. If I had known earlier, I could have made alternate August pre-orders, but since I didn't, I'll now likely have to pass on her.

I don't know why figure manufacturers announce a pre-order date this close to release. I'm sure it's fine for those with little pre-orders [since they won't have to wait long], but for people who pre-order numerous figures each month it's a pretty big issue.

Yeah exactly. I mean I thought Mitsuru was pushing it. Assuming no delay that will be a bit over 2 months at best. I'd have thought figure manufacturers of all people would sympathise with scheduling purchases. Maybe the production run is just really small or something.

I also still want to try for belldandy/holy bell. Don't fail me now Figinstock.

chrono01

man, so expensive.
Yep. :(

Her scale/detail is impressive, though, and this being Max Factory's 25th anniversary figure [one that many fans have been wanting for a long time] leads me to believe that her value will only rise. If it doesn't, I'll still have the figure. That will be worth it to me. :)

Of course, another "Ultimate Madoka" situation might happen where, after release, Belldandy with Holy Bell is heavily discounted so retail chains can get rid of excess stock. I personally don't think the same thing will happen here, though, since I don't think she will be as heavily mass-produced as Ultimate Madoka was, but we'll see!

Either way, I'm looking forward to receiving it. I can see a delay happening, though...

AmiAmi still has her up for pre-order:

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIG-MOE-8628

Warning, she is pricey [but I have a feeling they will be worth it].

Price is high, but I would pay that if customs weren't an issue. I've gotta hope for BiJ or NY to re-stock after cancellations. Thanks though.

Have many Max Factory figures been bargain binned? Aoba was a fairly big, higher priced figure and he sold out and is now priced crazily.

chrono01

Price is high, but I would pay that if customs weren't an issue. I've gotta hope for BiJ or NY to re-stock after cancellations. Thanks though.

Have any Max Factory figures been bargain binned? Aoba was a fairly big, higher priced figure and he sold out and is now priced crazily.
Hmm, it doesn't generally happen with Max Factory figures, especially those that get lots of advertising [such as the aforementioned Aoba and not Belldandy with Holy Bell]. I think they're just better at handling the quantity they produce.

Good Smile Company has a tendency to produce more than is needed, which results in many cancelling their orders so they can get it later for a "better price" later, which leads to stores having lots of left-over stock [of a massive-sized figures that takes up a lot of space] and forcing them to put the item on-sale for a huge discount. Those previous purchasers can then buy the figure at the lower price they wanted.

I don't believe people will necessarily do the same with Max Factory/Belldandy with Holy Bell since there likely won't be as many figures floating around, but we won't know for sure until release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom