• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, it doesn't generally happen with Max Factory figures, especially those that get lots of advertising [such as the aforementioned Aoba and not Belldandy with Holy Bell]. I think they're just better at handling the quantity they produce.

Good Smile Company has a tendency to produce more than is needed, which results in many cancelling their orders so they can get it later for a "better price" later, which leads to stores having lots of left-over stock [of a massive-sized figures that takes up a lot of space] and forcing them to put the item on-sale for a huge discount. Those previous purchasers can then buy the figure at the lower price they wanted.

I don't believe people will necessarily do the same with Max Factory/Belldandy with Holy Bell since there likely won't be as many figures floating around, but we won't know for sure until release.

That's good to hear. Ugh, might just go with amiami anyway. Nobody said this hobby would be cheap :p

It would be nice to benefit from a bargain bin at some point though. Didn't want Modoka and I ended up not liking and selling Yukiko lol

Jube3

1/6 scale Harley Quinn from Sideshow is up for pre-order. Looks awesome, I'm waiting to see what SDCC has in store before setting my pre-orders but I would not mind grabbing this harley and the sideshow 1/6 joker.

100218_press02-001.jpg

1002181_press03-001.jpg

Good Smile Company has a tendency to produce more than is needed, which results in many cancelling their orders so they can get it later for a "better price" later, which leads to stores having lots of left-over stock [of a massive-sized figures that takes up a lot of space] and forcing them to put the item on-sale for a huge discount. Those previous purchasers can then buy the figure at the lower price they wanted.

If they ever do a Love Is War DX re-release, I wouldn't even take the chance. I'd just leave my order in and that'd be that.

chrono01

That's good to hear. Ugh, might just go with amiami anyway. Nobody said this hobby would be cheap :p

It would be nice to benefit from a bargain bin at some point though. Didn't want Modoka and I ended up not liking and selling Yukiko lol
Yeah, I wish I could benefit from the Bargain Bin. Unfortunately, I'm a paranoid sort when it comes to figures, so I generally pre-order whatever I like as soon as I can and pay full-price. Sometimes it works out [such as Samurai] but other times...not so much [Ultimate Madoka]. I figure I'd rather have the figure than need to spend double [sometimes triple] its cost after release when it becomes rare. If I have to pay full-price at retail and forego any possible "Bargain Bin" status, so be it!

It's an expensive habit!

Belldandy with Holy Bell may or may not be one of those triple-price-after-release kind of figures. I've decided it's not worth the risk, but I guess it depends on how much you personally want her and whether you want to tempt fate. >:)

If they ever do a Love Is War DX re-release, I wouldn't even take the chance. I'd just leave my order in and that'd be that.
Yeah, with Love is War DX there was really no question as to where her value would sit [since she was exclusive and made-to-order]. I regret not ordering two when I had the chance, since by me doing so I would have an extra and I still wouldn't have "stolen" the figure from a potential buyer, since as I said, she was made-to-order.

As for her re-release, I have a feeling that she might get one eventually, although it will probably be akin to World is Mine where it's not for several years [around 3-4 years, I'm guessing]. It's not as though Hatsune Miku's popularity will cease anytime soon!

I definitely wish you luck. She's a beauty.

BTW, I knew Daisy-chan was 1/6 scale, but I had no idea that she was this big. O_O

inJM30xyRhnsT.jpg

1/6 scale Harley Quinn from Sideshow is up for pre-order. Looks awesome, I'm waiting to see what SDCC has in store before setting my pre-orders but I would not mind grabbing this harley and the sideshow 1/6 joker.

100218_press02-001.jpg

1002181_press03-001.jpg

I'm really liking this figure, I hope the Catwoman come out good and they make a Poison Ivy and I can have a Gotham City Sirens set up

zoku88

When ever I see these "scales" as measurements I get so confused lol. America! Jump on the winning train and move over to the metric system =P

???

I'm confused what you mean by this? What does using scales have to do with using metric or not?

It's just saying it's 1/6th the size of the original (for models, most of which were probably military related: tanks, ships, planes, etc.)

Isn't that used through the world?

Or, do you mean you're using to seeing ratios instead of fractions?

chrono01

???

I'm confused what you mean by this? What does using scales have to do with using metric or not?

It's just saying it's 1/6th the size of the original (for models, most of which were probably military related: tanks, ships, planes, etc.)

That's correct.

Scale normally refers to the re-size of the character's height approximate to the data used. 1/6 scale doesn't always measure 25 cm's tall [as in the case of Daisy-chan], it depends on the character and her supposed height. A 1/6 scale of a child figure, Kobato for example, would be much smaller than a 1/6 scale of Sena [released by the same manufacturer], as it would be 1/6 the size of her designated height. But yes, it can be confusing to some. >_<

I normally look at the measurements and not simply the scale, as it oftentimes gives me a better idea of how small/large the figure might be. But generally, 1/4, 1/5, and 1/6 scale figures = massive in-size. Even still, I didn't expect Daisy-chan to be this large. That came as a surprise. I didn't know she was such a tall gal!

Bombless

While we're on the subject of scales, I didn't realise Mai was 1/6 until I held the box in my hands. That figure certainly makes me appreciate 1/6 more. Their size is a problem however.

???

Lol you are correct XD, wrote that and confused myself to thinking it was the US system, might be a sign to go to sleep, the heat has driven me crazy XD.
Edit: Might also be the fact that I associated 1/6 with 250mm after seeing so many figures with that measurement XD
While we're on the subject of scales, I didn't realise Mai was 1/6 until I held the box in my hands. That figure certainly makes me appreciate 1/6 more. Their size is a problem however.

Same 1/6 boxes are a pain to try and get through customs check without being charged if I used registered SAL, always checked =/, switching over to unregistered has helped.

BTW, I knew Daisy-chan was 1/6 scale, but I had no idea that she was this big. O_O

inJM30xyRhnsT.jpg

eh yea, I don't have any non-marvel 1/6 scale figures. Daisy is going to look so out of place when I she gets here :'(.

I wish more things I liked were in 1/6 scale. I feel like 1/6 is the perfect size to get good detail nifty poses while still being affordable.

Also it looks like the yoshimitsu is getting a rerelease. I felt like he was a bit too expensive for a 1/6 scale figure though. Those tri-gun figures look fantastic. Can't wait for them to arrive *drools*

Ended up buying the World is Mine figure at AX...

I'm so weak...

Luckily the Love is War sold out before I changed my mind, though their stack did last until Saturday.

Jube3

The evil superman looks good but its so similar to the older Reeve I think its a pass for me. Same with USO Cap, however the Bruce Willis sculpt looks so sick I will probably pick that one up.

1045154_10151485597747344_937209505_n.jpg

I missed out on the Bane HT figure. Why!!!! They never do reissues do they?

No not reissues but they have done a 2.0 versions (DX11 Joker) of figures and newer versions (Christopher Reeve, 89 Joker). There probably wont be another bane unless its DX I think but hes not going for that much over retail from what I've seen online. I've seen him a few places for 220.

Blusby

Has anyone here ordered from "Toy Shop Japan Hobbyone" on amazon? I'm interested in a nendo there but i'm a bit hesitant about ordering it because I've heard some horror stories regarding amazon bootlegs.

Do Hot Toys ever just bail on stuff they've released teasers for? They've pretty much gone quiet on Iron Man 3 since the movie actually came out.

The Heartbreaker and other suits seem like easy money to me, but where are they? I think they teased Kingsley's Mandarin as well.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
Do Hot Toys ever just bail on stuff they've released teasers for? They've pretty much gone quiet on Iron Man 3 since the movie actually came out.

The Heartbreaker and other suits seem like easy money to me, but where are they? I think they teased Kingsley's Mandarin as well.

They canceled Green Lantern, so they can tease and cancel, but they haven't canceled a prototyped figure yet, that said they can tease something a year or two before they even show a prototype, still looking forward to seeing the Captain Harlock figures that were first teased in 2010.

Rootbeer

Banned
I have some figure orders for Aug and Sept, but none for July... this month will be breaking my 12 month consecutive record! I need to find something... I'm scared this could ruin the good luck I've had with overseas orders. :p

I've been culling this thread for ideas but nothing jumping out at me yet

As an aside, a question: Anyone have experience with bootleg toys, specifically nendoroids? I took a chance on a $20 (with free shipping... from HK... yeah, I know) sonic Nendoroid and figured it would be a bootleg. And while I'm pretty sure it is, I've compared it to video reviews on youtube and it's very difficult to tell it is fake. The main giveaway is some small paint app differences (like in the concave area where you place his faces) and, yes, slightly lesser build quality (limbs seem to fall off more than on most figures, but it's not *that* bad).

Do you own any bootlegs and what are your thoughts on them? Every gotten a decent one?

LiK

On the fence with Evil Superman. I always thought he looked cooler like that in the movie. But not sure i need it for a different head sculpt.

They canceled Green Lantern, so they can tease and cancel, but they haven't canceled a prototyped figure yet, that said they can tease something a year or two before they even show a prototype, still looking forward to seeing the Captain Harlock figures that were first teased in 2010.

Sounds like it's time to play the waiting game. I'm with them on Green Lantern mind you. Ryan Reynolds does not deserve to be immortalised by HT after that garbage movie.

Also you reminded me that Harlock movie is actually coming out later this year. Wouldn't say no to some figures to go with it.

I have some figure orders for Aug and Sept, but none for July... this month will be breaking my 12 month consecutive record! I need to find something... I'm scared this could ruin the good luck I've had with overseas orders. :p

What stuff do you usually collect? Nendos?

100218_press02-001.jpg

1002181_press03-001.jpg
Ordered. Already have the 1/6th scale Joker ordered. That looks great.

....and my frustration with Hot Toys continues. It's nothing but the old figure with a slight repaint. UGH.

Where's Batman Returns Catwoman? Penguin? Lex Luthor? Superman II Zod? Instead we keep getting this stuff. It's on the same level of the Mime Joker repaint they did.

I missed out on the Bane HT figure. Why!!!! They never do reissues do they?
His after market value hasn't skyrocketed yet. You can still get him in the $260-$270 range on Ebay, etc.

johnsmith

remember me

My only July order is Meruru by Phat Company.

c22f6508ca565951380a6f2f64079c22.jpg

915_hot+toys.jpg

this guy still hasnt show up yet

LiK

Meanwhile Mime Joker and The Rock's character from something-with-guns exists. So annoying.

More X-Men would be awesome. Coulda had Azazel.

I'm surprised Mystique hasn't been done. Original or First Class version. Maybe they couldn't get the rights for the likeness from the actresses.

LiK

Thanks guys. I'll see if I can find a Bane at a decent price then and not wait for a miracle reissue.

Yea, don't bother waiting for reissues. I don't think he's popular enough like Joker to get DX/2.0 releases either. I think if you can get it for $220 with free shipping then that's a good price.

I'm surprised Mystique hasn't been done. Original or First Class version. Maybe they couldn't get the rights for the likeness from the actresses.

Yeah I'd think Mystique would be pretty popular. Even the Katniss Everdeen version. Would be interesting to know what actors aren't down, but I guess HT will never be that transparent.

Jube3

I'd love a Fassbender Magneto. Oh hell, I'd happily buy Mckellen Magneto from X-Men 2.

For those that collect Hot Toy/enterbay figures, what are your top 3 most wanted figures that have yet to be announced. It was tough for me to narrow it down but I think it would go like this for me.

1. Marty Mcfly (with the 1/6 scale Delorean!)
2. Larry Bird
3. Judge Dredd

For those that collect Hot Toy/enterbay figures, what are your top 3 most wanted figures that have yet to be announced. It was tough for me to narrow it down but I think it would go like this for me.

2. Larry Bird
3. Judge Dredd
Dredd by far. One of my most wanted figures as I *LOVE* the movie and comics. Not the Stallone one.:D

It's old but STARGATE figures would be amazing. The movie I mean. Ra specifically and his troops, etc.

ramask.jpg
stargate_horus_deluxe_sg005-d.jpg

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes

2. Larry Bird
3. Judge Dredd

Most of mine are pipe dreams...

1. Mad Max, from the first movie.
2. A knight from Demon Souls or Dark souls. Leaning towards the campfire knight.
3. A line of figures from John Boorman's Excalibur, I'm talking Uther, Merlin, Arthur, Lancelot, Mordrid and Morgana.

I'd also kill for a proper Alien from the '79 original, not one made of rubber and weak joints, nor one they made up the look of.

Jube3

Dredd by far. One of my most wanted figures as I *LOVE* the movie and comics. Not the Stallone one.:D

It's old but STARGATE figures would be amazing. The movie I mean. Ra specifically and his troops, etc.

Yep, I really, really liked the latest Dredd movie so I would there day one for a Karl Urban Dredd.
Mad Max and the Ra figures would be awesome.

This came in this morning, Norse set complete! At least until Thor 2 later this year lol.
6051c19ae7f811e28b6522000a1f97ac_7.jpg

Not feeling the spear that came with Odin, especially with how detailed loki is but I like the figure a lot. I dont like how the wrists meet up with the armor either, but its a small thing. The Loki and Thor Avengers handled that part really well.

2. Larry Bird
3. Judge Dredd

It would take me ages to get a legit top 3, but here's 3 I think would be cool:

1. Peter Venkman
2. Gray Fox
3. Gandalf, or let's be honest, almost anybody from LOTR.

2. Larry Bird
3. Judge Dredd

1. Adam West Batman
2. Magic Johnson
3. Tie between Quorra from Tron Legacy and Pin Head from Hellraiser

Most of mine are pipe dreams...

1. Mad Max, from the first movie.
2. A knight from Demon Souls or Dark souls. Leaning towards the campfire knight.
3. A line of figures from John Boorman's Excalibur, I'm talking Uther, Merlin, Arthur, Lancelot, Mordrid and Morgana.

I'd also kill for a proper Alien from the '79 original, not one made of rubber and weak joints, nor one they made up the look of.

also this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom