• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XenoRaven

you-are-already-dead.png

This is the Point of No Return for you, I'm afraid.

It's best that you comes to terms with this now. There is no going back!
D:

What have I done

I'll grab Chun Li from amazon. There's no point in paying shipping charges from Japan.
Not an option for people not in the US T_T, I'll probs buy that Chun Li but will go with HLJ if they are stocking her.
D:

What have I done
Best do what I do and bite only on series you like, if you go down the road of "Oooh I like that figure but don't know what it's from" then yeah will be too late for you lol

XenoRaven

Huh? I can get Chun from Amazon if I live in America? Sorry for my ignorance. I'm not familiar with where I can get what.

Also, yeah I'd only order something from a series I care about.

Thanks guys!

I hope this isn't the start of a potentially dangerous hobby. But between my Phazon Suit Samus, Zero Suit Samus, and now Chun, I feel like I will need some male figures to balance it out. Also some Metal Gear and ZOE figures would be cool too...

Yeah, you're done for. Sorry.

One thing to keep in mind about amiami is that if you order it, you bought it. They'll usually let you slide on a cancellation now and then, but if you jerk them around too much, they'll just ban you. As I've said before, its a good idea to approach business transactions with them the same way you would with the actual mafia. Serious business. If its important for you to be able to cancel an order, just pay a few $$$ more and order from hlj.com...

I'll grab Chun Li from amazon. There's no point in paying shipping charges from Japan.

Why? You've got dat Miku2020 in January? No? Just have her ship with that. You'll get her like, a month sooner.

Huh? I can get Chun from Amazon if I live in America? Sorry for my ignorance. I'm not familiar with where I can get what.

Also, yeah I'd only order something from a series I care about.
From OP:
johnsmith said:
Kotobukiya's bishoujo line is gateway drug for a lot of collectors, getting a lot of people interested in the hobby, and are very popular. Based on the artwork of Shunya Yamashita, they put a Japanese twist on American characters in a way that really works. They break a lot of the rules for figures. They're mostly based on Western characters. The first line was based on female Marvel comics characters, which later expanded to DC comics, Mass Effect, Star Wars, and other American movies. Though the current Tekken figures and upcoming Street Fighter figures are of Japanese origins. They're massively produced, meaning they're often available for months or years after release, (though most eventually do sell out and skyrocket in price), they're well distributed in the US, and because of this they're the few figures I would recommend buying from Amazon or even Ebay. As far as I can tell they've also never been bootlegged, even though some of them sell for well over $250. You can usually buy them on amazon for free super saver shipping for around, $50 and sometimes less. Do not buy these from Japanese shops as you'll just end up overpaying. Patience is a virtue, and you're better off waiting for amazon to stock them.
So I should just get the Chun Li figure from a US ebay seller that delivers to the UK? Or probs end up same price as Japanese retail?

From OP:

So I should just get the Chun Li figure from a US ebay seller that delivers to the UK? Or probs end up same price as Japanese retail?
Oh god, it'll be rare but than also cheap via a US retailer?

These two cannot exist at the same time in my brain. Auuugh, so scared to pass up the amiami pre-order.

Oh god, it'll be rare but than also cheap via a US retailer?

These two cannot exist at the same time in my brain. Auuugh, so scared to pass up the amiami pre-order.

I'll probably bite the bullet on the AmiAmi pre-order. I'll get her like, a month earlier that way, and I have 7th Dragon Miku shipping in January anyhow, so I'll just piggyback her on that.

Giolon

Based Kotobukiya Bishoujo Chun Li!!!

531857_566964730015735_756676806_n.jpg

1097960_566964706682404_1975595396_n.jpg

1150948_566964700015738_1389712240_n.jpg

935878_566964703349071_271761405_n.jpg

While I’m still not a fan of the pose they chose, I do like the way that they made her dress flap provide more crotch coverage than the artwork than the art work (at the expense of looking like it’s been placed at an odd angle precisely for that reason).

Her nose is also oddly long I’ve been seeing this lately on some of the Bishoujo sculpts. Harley Quinn has the same issue.

All that said, she looks spectacular painted. #DemThighs!

I am crossing all of my fingers and toes that they’ll come out with a Juri figure. Best new character design they’ve introduced in years, and she’s been practically ignored as far as merchandise is concerned while they mostly re-tread classic characters.

The Chun-Li is really disappointing, that face is just bad looking. I really expected better from the prototypes. I'm really starting to think that Kotobukiya sold more than they thought and then half-assed every release after the first few.

Kotobukiya was hoping people focused on her thighs =P

But I can't really tell the face being bad lol, then again I don't own any Kotobukiya figures.

sca2511

I don't think it looks as bad as most people think. It's not nearly as bad as the face on that early Xiaoyu sculpt.

mm yeah, it's not terrible and I'll probably still pick it up. I just find it disappointing in comparison to the rest of the sculpt. Though, I don't know what it looks like at other angles and it could possibly be better than what I see from the released pictures.

Though, I don't know what it looks like at other angles and it could possibly be better than what I see from the released pictures.

Certainly a possibility. Especially with bishoujos. Elektra was a prime example of this. I wasn't crazy about her from the pics I saw online, but when it was actually in front me, I liked her a lot. I hear that's also the case with Storm

sky

I'm gonna pass on Chun Li... not really digging the face, or the way the shirt looks like it's wet and clinging to her chest. Awesome pose, but it's another case of it looking better unpainted, imo. Easy for me to say, of course. Such subtle difference between good and great.

SUPARSTARX

I'd get Mandarin but that character in particular was such a joke.

And yeah, no rush to preorder Koto Chun. Just wait out for the North American retailers / Amazon. You won't miss out if you really want it.

And the sad part is someone probably bought that thing unknowingly just to use as a prop.
Not in the US so I'll leave it to you guys to steal them off their sets >=), they aren't even real nerds =P. Don't worry about the consequences they'll just make an episode about getting robbed or something XD

george_us

I am now the proud owner of a Bishoujo Huntress statue! I got a little nervous inserting the pole (hurr hurr) into her hand. Felt like I was going to break it. Looks fantastic next to Power Girl. Still, I think Power Girl may be my favorite of the Bishoujos line. Not only does the style fit her character but the pose they chose really captures the swagger of her character.

Thanks guys!

I hope this isn't the start of a potentially dangerous hobby. But between my Phazon Suit Samus, Zero Suit Samus, and now Chun, I feel like I will need some male figures to balance it out. Also some Metal Gear and ZOE figures would be cool too...
I know what you mean. It's been fun collecting these statues and the people in this thread have been really cool. Could be the start of many wallet breaking purchases.

I am now the proud owner of a Bishoujo Huntress statue! I got a little nervous inserting the pole (hurr hurr) into her hand. Felt like I was going to break it. Looks fantastic next to Power Girl.

I'll say this for Kotobukiya, their figures seem to be sturdier than pretty much anything else out there. And they're more affordable as well.

Bombless

I am now the proud owner of a Bishoujo Huntress statue! I got a little nervous inserting the pole (hurr hurr) into her hand. Felt like I was going to break it. Looks fantastic next to Power Girl.

Grats! Now grab Batgirl (black version) and Black Canary (should come out before the end of the year) for the Birds of Prey trio!

Grats! Now grab Batgirl (black version) and Black Canary (should come out before the end of the year) for the Birds of Prey trio!

Batgirl (any color) is a tall order to fill at this point. You can get her, sure. But good luck finding her for under $150.

As for Canary, we haven't even seen a sculpt yet, so I'd be surprised if she made it out before the end of the year.

george_us

I'll say this for Kotobukiya, their figures seem to be sturdier than pretty much anything else out there. And they're more affordable as well.
Most definitely. For being less than $60 they feel incredibly detailed and sturdy.

Bah I just googled the Black Canary Bishoujo illustration.

Just when I thought I was out...

Rootbeer

Banned
Never owned a revoltech, but considering the two MGS ones. Every time their figures come up in a convo, such as on 4chan's /toy/, the joints are always brought up. Are they that divisive? What's GAF's thoughts on them?

Toki767

Never owned a revoltech, but considering the two MGS ones. Every time their figures come up in a convo, such as on 4chan's /toy/, the joints are always brought up. Are they that divisive? What's GAF's thoughts on them?

I can't begin to express how much I hate figures with joints in general. They totally kill the look for me.

LiK

Batgirl (any color) is a tall order to fill at this point. You can get her, sure. But good luck finding her for under $150.

As for Canary, we haven't even seen a sculpt yet, so I'd be surprised if she made it out before the end of the year.

is Batgirl rare? I have the black one still sealed. Maybe I should sell it haha

I can't begin to express how much I hate figures with joints in general. They totally kill the look for me.

Lots of poseable figures are fun to mess with and take photos with.

is Batgirl rare? I have the black one still sealed. Maybe I should sell it haha

What she's listing for and what she's actually selling for may well be two different things. I think the blue one is the pricier of the two. But color doesn't really matter to me, I'd buy her off of you for a reasonable price.

XenoRaven

God dammit I already have a regular Samus and a ZSS. Why am I looking at these Max Factory ones? I should just...close the tabs...

It's fine. I don't really want the Play Arts Kai Solidus...

LiK

What she's listing for and what she's actually selling for may well be two different things. I think the blue one is the pricier of the two. But color doesn't really matter to me, I'd buy her off of you for a reasonable price.

i'll keep you in mind ;)

God dammit I already have a regular Samus and a ZSS. Why am I looking at these Max Factory ones? I should just...close the tabs...

It's fine. I don't really want the Play Arts Kai Solidus...

PA Solidus is so ridiculously overpriced. Thankfully the prices in several retailers dropped a lil after release. Probably not that popular. I also read he has some issues with the build.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Saw those Star Wars Black figures in person the other day.

Better looking than I would have thought. Odd choices for the first wave though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom