• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giolon

Ooh, that looks like a white Besta... maybe I should go white instead of black/brown.

Anyway, I bought 12 of these configurable stands shown below more than a year ago. At $8 per stand plus shipping, I found them to be very good since you can customize the stand's configuration. I used them to prop up old Play Arts before I moved and packed everything up.

http://www.mimiwoo.com/product_info.php?products_id=5258

You can get those for a lot cheaper than $8 each. They're 266 yen (~$2.75) apiece from HobbySearch. I bought 11 of them a couple years ago for my Play Arts Kai collection (that I've since sold off most of). My total cost was 4,506 shipped - approx. $4.22 each.

But yes, they ARE awesome.

Oops, I forgot to include the link to the stands on HS. Here they are: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10100264

Jube3

Hm, 1/12 scale. What would look good next to it? Figmas in scale with that arcade machine?

A 1/144 Gundam might work too.

Guys wanna link me on what LED lights you're using for your Detolf displays? I need more lights in mine.
I've tried 2 solutions on top of the Ikea dioders. A DIY strip kit from amazon and a pack from this site called barlighting. The pack is way more expensive than the strips, but I ended up liking how they looked a lot more than the strips. The plastic casing that the barlighting strips and the dioders have give it that landing strip look (from the front) which I really liked. I didn't get that with the diy strip I picked up. The plus side is the cost though, I spent around 40 on the DIY strips and I could probably do all 4 detolfs, my bestas and some of the billy bookcase with that roll (I would need more cables though).

These are the LED strip lights that I use.
http://www.barlighting.com/6-Strip-Cool-White-Kit-p/6sk-cw.htm

The cool version look just like the old ikea dioders, the warm look like their current setup. Its more expensive than the DIY solution but what I like about these (and the dioders) is that they come in that bit of plastic that gives it a nice look to the shelf if the lights are not hidden. If you go this route and its for a detolf you're going to want to grab a few of their longer connector and extension cables - http://www.barlighting.com/lighting-accessories-s/1828.htm

Not the cheapest solution but two packs of 6 can fill out 3 detolfs and it comes to around 100 bucks with shipping and extra extensions/cables.

Here's what they look like from the front, I only have 4 installed at the moment. I'm still waiting on a few other things before installing the rest, mainly cable management stuff.
9579324330_3ed22d98aa.jpg

Toki767

Got my bishoujo Storm variant today. :D

Also got the "We missed you" slip from the post office, so I have to go pick up Milla tomorrow. Also :D

Looking at the Marvel bishoujo line, I really wanted that diamond Emma Frost figure. Or the Dark Phoenix one. The rest look kind of stange to me. Except Psylocke I guess but that's probably cause she's Asian anyways.

johnsmith

remember me
The cheapest Emma Frost variant is $110 on eBay, damn. A year ago they couldn't give those away. She was selling for like 3000 yen on amiami.

LiK

thanks for the LED suggestions, I'm familiar with the Ikea lights already so that should be easy. Thanks Jube3 for the other suggestions.

The cheapest Emma Frost variant is $110 on eBay, damn. A year ago they couldn't give those away. She was selling for like 3000 yen on amiami.

yea, saw those for clearance for a while. guess once they're gone the prices shoot up.

Jube3

thanks for the LED suggestions, I'm familiar with the Ikea lights already so that should be easy. Thanks Jube3 for the other suggestions.

yea, saw those for clearance for a while. guess once they're gone the prices shoot up.

If you want to stick with the Dioder solution I would recommend the barlighting setup as its almost identical and you get 2 more light bars for the same price. If you want pictures of what the lights look like close up and I can pm you some pictures.

LiK

If you want to stick with the Dioder solution I would recommend the barlighting setup as its almost identical and you get 2 more light bars for the same price. If you want pictures of what the lights look like close up and I can pm you some pictures.

PM them please! thanks

gokieks

It's not the same price though - the DIODER strips are $30, these are $40 (assuming that the "deal of the day" price is actually just the normal price - if not then it's an even worse deal). Still slightly cheaper on a per strip basis, but really not much of a deal. And I think 6 is a bad number to buy too - multiples of 4 is more useful for DETOLF lighting.

Jube3

It's not the same price though - the DIODER strips are $30, these are $40 (assuming that the "deal of the day" price is actually just the normal price - if not then it's an even worse deal). Still slightly cheaper on a per strip basis, but really not much of a deal. And I think 6 is a bad number to buy too - multiples of 4 is more useful for DETOLF lighting.

They also have a 4 pack on their site for 29.99 and yea I think its just their normal price. Their "deal of the day" stuff has been up there since I last bought mine which was a few months ago. You're right though the price is higher. I forgot to take into account the shipping costs, which was 12.95 for me, and that you will need a longer connector. The plus side to these guys, at least for me, was they offer both the warm and cool light strips. The Ikea around me only has the warm/yellow Dioders. They also have 3 more leds and are a bit longer but not sure if that makes a big difference.

Ryuuroden

So I saw the news about the Kato Marika 1/8 scale figure from Hobby Japan will probably be up for pre-order real soon. As this is an exclusive and from a place you cannot order from outside japan I need assistance. I really want this figure but have no experience with how to get exclusives like it. What is the best site to go through that is easiest to navigate in order to purchase her. I am guessing Nippon-Yasan but I am not sure as I have never ordered from them, nor have I ever ordered an exclusive of any sort. Thanks for any help you can provide me

"General Figure GAF. for years you have helped enable others to purchase collection beautifying enhancements to their collections.. Now this man begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire that walls away their exclusives. This figure is vital to the survival of his collection. You know how to retrieve it. You must see that Kato Marika is safely delivered to him in the USA. This is his most desperate hour. Help me, Neo GAF Kenobi. You're my only hope."

Looking at the Marvel bishoujo line, I really wanted that diamond Emma Frost figure. Or the Dark Phoenix one. The rest look kind of stange to me. Except Psylocke I guess but that's probably cause she's Asian anyways.

See, I like the look of the diamond variant, but I dunno... I wouldn't buy her unless I also had the original, because it's hard to see details when she's transparent. With Storm, I think the variant actually looks better.

So I saw the news about the Kato Marika 1/8 scale figure from Hobby Japan will probably be up for pre-order real soon. As this is an exclusive and from a place you cannot order from outside japan I need assistance. I really want this figure but have no experience with how to get exclusives like it. What is the best site to go through that is easiest to navigate in order to purchase her. I am guessing Nippon-Yasan but I am not sure as I have never ordered from them, nor have I ever ordered an exclusive of any sort. Thanks for any help you can provide me

Yeah, Nippon-Yasan, or Big in Japan. I haven't seen her posted on either site yet, so the best I can tell you is to keep checking them daily until she goes up.

I'm thinking about getting her, myself.

Cheska

Oh My God guys, I may have scored a Selvaria Bles figure from AmiAmi!

I just got a FigInStock alert, the picture matched the one I was after so I instantly bought it. Now I'm just worried that they put the wrong picture up and it's actually the swimsuit version or something. This is the description: (Pre-owned ITEM:A / BOX:B)Valkyria Chronicles - Selvaria Bles Valkyria Ver. 1/7 Complete Figure(Released), it was something like $148, which seemed completely worth it.

chrono01

I just got a FigInStock alert, the picture matched the one I was after so I instantly bought it. Now I'm just worried that they put the wrong picture up and it's actually the swimsuit version or something. This is the description: (Pre-owned ITEM:A / BOX:B)Valkyria Chronicles - Selvaria Bles Valkyria Ver. 1/7 Complete Figure(Released), it was something like $148, which seemed completely worth it.
Nope, Valkyria Ver. sounds like the one you want [i.e, not the Swimsuit Ver.].

Congrats on the purchase! That's a great price for her!

normal boxes received via amazon shipping (lol)

I hear stories like this all the time about people ordering from Amazon and receiving beat-up boxes, but I've never experienced it once. Maybe I'm just awesome.

So I got a notification from MFC today about someone selling a sealed Samurai figure. They wanted like, $280 for it. So far, every time I've clicked one of those links, I go "Ha ha, fuck you" as soon as I see the price.

johnsmith

remember me
I hear stories like this all the time about people ordering from Amazon and receiving beat-up boxes, but I've never experienced it once. Maybe I'm just awesome.

So I got a notification from MFC today about someone selling a sealed Samurai figure. They wanted like, $280 for it. So far, every time I've clicked one of those links, I go "Ha ha, fuck you" as soon as I see the price.

Order an art book or any other large book from amazon. I guarantee you it'll come with a bent cover.

But yeah, B boxes are nearly perfect. Only the analest Japanese can find anything wrong with them.

As for MFC sellers, yeah, avoid them. Their prices suck ass, and that's if you don't get a scammer in the first place.

Order an art book or any other large book from amazon. I guarantee you it'll come with a bent cover.

But I have. I ordered The Art of The Last of Us around the time it came out. It came in an over-sized box, with air packets, and the book itself was shrink-wrapped to a flat piece of cardboard. Maybe it all depends on the distribution center it comes from? I mean, Amazon isn't just one central location.

As for MFC sellers, yeah, avoid them. Their prices suck ass, and that's if you don't get a scammer in the first place.

Here's a question. Do people ever trade figures? Or is it always just sell sell sell?

johnsmith

remember me
But I have. I ordered The Art of The Last of Us around the time it came out. It came in an over-sized box, with air packets, and the book itself was shrink-wrapped to a flat piece of cardboard. Maybe it all depends on the distribution center it comes from? I mean, Amazon isn't just one central location.
That's true. I guess the packers in the west just suck.

Here's a question. Do people ever trade figures? Or is it always just sell sell sell?
Trading is economically inefficient compared to straight currency purchases.

Toki767

Everything I order off Amazon typically comes flawless too. Even the Yukiko figure I ordered came well wrapped.

Giolon

Shoot, it could come with no box and I'd still be stoked!

Congrats! Here's a photo I took of mine recently to help you with your wait:

Arveene

Neo Member

But yeah, B boxes are nearly perfect. Only the analest Japanese can find anything wrong with them.

I've bought and sold figures a few times on MFC. To avoid scammers, you want to stay away from most newer accounts, accounts with nothing added to their collection, or those who are mostly inactive. There's usually a few threads in the Peer Approval and Buy/sell clubs reporting scammers. Check to see if they've sold items to a member before and ask the buyer how the transaction went.

As for the prices, I agree. Many prices are way too expensive, but I've gotten some good deals on there. The savings on shipping can make up for a slight cost increase though. It depends on where you live.

johnsmith

remember me

"General Figure GAF. for years you have helped enable others to purchase collection beautifying enhancements to their collections.. Now this man begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire that walls away their exclusives. This figure is vital to the survival of his collection. You know how to retrieve it. You must see that Kato Marika is safely delivered to him in the USA. This is his most desperate hour. Help me, Neo GAF Kenobi. You're my only hope."

She should be available to order from any of these sites, probably within the next week.

http://www.mbttoys.com/
http://biginjap.com/
http://www.nippon-yasan.com/

Nippon-Yasan's the only one I've used personally, but all are legit sites.

Bombless

This just happened :

<Incoming Skype Video Call>

Me : Hey mom, what's up?
Her : Good morning son. Not sleeping yet?
Me : Nah, just finished breakfast, going to bed soon.
Her : Good, good. Listen, you gave me that site so I could check figures (Plastikitty's), but you didn't leave me the webstores you buy from.
Me : Oh, okay. Check Amiami and Hobby Search.
Her : Thanks. There's this figure I've seen and I want it.
Me : Oho! Which one?
Her : Hatsune Miku.
Me : Which Miku? There are plenty (I'm guessing 7th dragon since it popped up not long ago).
Her : Love is war.
Me : <chokes> Uhh...which Love is war?
Her : The one with the BIG (she gestures) speakers. It's so beautiful. I love it.
Me : Uhhh...that's not going to happen mom. <gives her ebay link with prices>
Her : Hmmm...Oh by the way, I've decided to give you 200€ for London (Comic Con in October).
Me : Uhh..thanks...but why?
Her : There's bound to be nice figures for sale there. For my collection.
Me : ....how am I supposed to..
Her : I'll give you an extra travelcase. The little green one is easy to carry and has plenty of space. I'll give you plenty of bubblewrap too. Anyway, don't stay up too long, you need to sleep. Bye!
Me : ...don't buy Love is war mom.
Her : Byebye! <hangs up>
--------------------------------------------------------------

I've created a monster...

I'm 99.99% sure she won't buy it, but it freaks me out a bit that she went "Hmmm" rather than "Oh goodness, it's way too expensive."

I'm enjoying the continuing adventures of Bombless' Mum in figure land.

---------------------

I liberated a couple more figures from their confinements recently and am still attempting to learn how to use a camera:

It's pretty well known that these figures are excellent at this point, so I'll just say that I agree now that I have them out of the box. I would recommend either. Both have alternate ways you can display them(Samurai variant hand with no sword, Senjougahara with her skirt down and no stationary), but neither are particularly interesting alternatives.

Also, I had a good laugh when I flipped Samurai upside down and saw the design and detail Shining Wizard had granted her in that area. Going the extra mile and showing what it means to be a top-tier sculptor :p

gokieks

Got the Azusa Miura wedding figure. It getting here from in less than 4 days (would actually have been 3 if I was at home to receive it yesterday) does make the $60 EMS charge a little easier to swallow.

Still trying not to think about the $340 total it cost me, but after it's all said and done, it's worth it - I've loved this figure since first seeing it in a photo of somebody's living room, and after all these years I finally own it.

Got the Azusa Miura wedding figure. It getting here from in less than 4 days (would actually have been 3 if I was at home to receive it yesterday) does make the $60 EMS charge a little easier to swallow.

Still trying not to think about the $340 total it cost me, but after it's all said and done, it's worth it - I've loved this figure since first seeing it in a photo of somebody's living room, and after all these years I finally own it.

60 dollar EMS ! wtf Is the box as big as madoka's box or something?

Those in the US have such luck with no custom charge any parcel of a large size I'm guaranteed to get stung by customs....not looking forward to the charges to RAH Link ='(

So, everyone can relax their wallets on Harley. Apparently she won't be out until mid-2014, according to DC's Blog. But she's an easy buy for me... I never liked the bishoujo design anyway.

Also, I had a good laugh when I flipped Samurai upside down and saw the design and detail Shining Wizard had granted her in that area. Going the extra mile and showing what it means to be a top-tier sculptor :p

Sooooo... camel-toe?

I'm 99.99% sure she won't buy it, but it freaks me out a bit that she went "Hmmm" rather than "Oh goodness, it's way too expensive."

You're mom's a nurse, isn't she? They make good money.

^^ Nice pics, and great looking figures!

Speaking of which, another 2020 Samurai appeared this morning.... 19780 jpy. Better than other recent prices I've seen, but still not chump change.
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIG-MOE-6120

Edit: Fawk, gone now. I shoulda snagged. T_T

Thanks man. Yeah Samurai is definitely top tier. Her price does suck now, but if mine was stolen I would likely buy a replacement for the current going price. Hope you manage to grab one soon.

Sooooo... camel-toe?

Knickers are half-way down her butt, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom