• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuroden

BiJ has Katou Marika(Bodacious Space Pirates) up for pre-order. Price of 10,990 JPY: http://biginjap.com/pvc-figures/7992-mouretsu-pirates-katou-marika.html

Release date Jan/Feb 2014. For those wondering about the price, she's a hobby japan exclusive.

Not up on Nippon Yasan yet.

tumblr_mr61h6geus1rtq11qo1_500.jpg

And......ORDERED,

Good thing I checked the forums tonight as I am flying out of town early tomorrow with no chance of making any orders till evening. I am not thinking she will sell out right away or anything but I really want her so why take chances. Only been waiting for eons for a figure to be made from that series.

johnsmith

remember me
Personally?

1. Max Factory
  2. Alter
  3. Yamato/Arcadia
  4. Good Smile Company
  5. Orchid Seed
  6. Kotobukiya
  7. Megahouse

Though there's definitely some variability. Koto's best figures can definitely beat Alter's worst. Max Factory and Alter are really close, but I think Max Factory has better poses and bases most of the time.

Really? I don't think Koto should be so far down the list. Especially next to Megahouse.

What does Orchid Seed do that makes people go nuts aside from the Seven Deadly Sins?

johnsmith

remember me
Their Arshes Nei, Jingai Makyo, Princess Bitch, Alleyne swimsuit version (at least the promo shots) are all pretty great. But too much of their stuff is too ecchi for me. Kotobukiya isn't bad, but if multiple companies make the same characters, theirs is usually the worst one.

That being said, thanks to their bishoujo line I still own more Koto stuff than anybody else.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Really? I don't think Koto should be so far down the list. Especially next to Megahouse.

What does Orchid Seed do that makes people go nuts aside from the Seven Deadly Sins?

There's this beauty: http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...eywords=alleyne$pagemax=30$getcnt=0$pagecnt=1
First real Orchid Seed figure I wanted. They also make a lot of Sonicos.

That's one area Megahouse's Rise doesn't disappoint in.

It's certainly well represented in a lot of figures today. Hope that doesn't change!

Srsly thinking about that Marika figure. Even though she's an exclusive, she's really nice. If I do, then she and Miku 2020 will be all I'm getting in January. I'm probably going to pass on the Eren and Mikasa figmas and wait for scaled figures.

sca2511

Anyone going to pick up the Gwen Stacy from Sideshow?

I think its decent, though it seems like the sculpt doesn't match the art from Campbell. It could be because of the angle the promo shots are taken from.

I'm thinking about picking it up, since it's the only decent/good Gwen statue I've seen.

I'm not so sure about that. I mean, the actual sculpt and design of it (well, the upper body anyway) is decent, but that name just pushes it to a whole new level of tastelessness.

Oh lol. Didn't even see the name. Laughed out loud when I went back and looked. SAO is self-insert fantasy rubbish in general though, and that's being generous.

Seven Sins Leviathan is getting a recolor. That's almost a guaranteed buy for me. Unless it looks hideous, but I've always liked the figure design.

Interested to see how this comes out. I don't like Lucifer's variant as much as the OG.

Anyone going to pick up the Gwen Stacy from Sideshow?

I think its decent, though it seems like the sculpt doesn't match the art from Campbell. It could be because of the angle the promo shots are taken from.

I'm thinking about picking it up, since it's the only decent/good Gwen statue I've seen.

I'm thinking about it. I ordered MJ and I like Gwen too but like you say, the sculpt doesn't seem to match the art as well. I think she's looking down more? Can't see her face as well as in the illustration. I like the spidey design on the umbrella and the raindrops though, they're nice touches.

Finally got round to unboxing my Fire Sisters figma's that arrived last week. Just in time for my Karen figure that [hopefully] will be shipping soon. Pictures to follow D:

Ryuuroden

Srsly thinking about that Marika figure. Even though she's an exclusive, she's really nice. If I do, then she and Miku 2020 will be all I'm getting in January. I'm probably going to pass on the Eren and Mikasa figmas and wait for scaled figures.

Doooo it, Marika is awesome!! you know you want her

Giolon

Was the recent Lucifer release the recolor? What did the original look like?

Here's the original:

Anyways, Orchid Seed does a lot of fairly detailed voluptuous figures, many NSFW, some only kind of ecchi. They have gotten a lot better over the last couple years, but they are still slow as hell at releasing their stuff. It's usually worth the wait though. People went kind of crazy over the Endless Winter Ignis too.

Giolon

Well, Endless Winter Ignis *is* really nice. If it wasn't cast-off I'd probably have bought it without a second thought.

Why let cast-off prevent you from buying a figure? You don't have to display them naked - I leave mine clothed. Most people won't even know it's possible when they're well done.

I like ignis overall, but the shipping price + peg issue (sounds like a minor issue though) is was stops me from getting it. Great buy if you can get over the shipping price.

gokieks

Why let cast-off prevent you from buying a figure? You don't have to display them naked - I leave mine clothed. Most people won't even know it's possible when they're well done.

At this point it's mostly a matter of principle, in that I find cast-off figures to pretty much represent the validation of otaku/figure collector stereotypes. Obviously my one-man "crusade" (if you can call it that) against them isn't actually going to effect any changes, but nonetheless, I just don't like buying figures with removable clothing.

I might eventually cave on this one though, because I love the dress (if not the ability for her to be wearing the dress but not covering the chest), and the bouquet sword is neat too.

Giolon

At this point it's mostly a matter of principle, in that I find cast-off figures to pretty much represent the validation of otaku/figure collector stereotypes. Obviously my one-man "crusade" (if you can call it that) against them isn't actually going to effect any changes, but nonetheless, I just don't like buying figures with removable clothing.

I might eventually cave on this one though, because I love the dress (if not the ability for her to be wearing the dress but not covering the chest), and the bouquet sword is neat too.

That's respectable. I have similar feelings towards figures that can't be displayed covered up or in an SFW fashion, have proportions so exaggerated that there's not even any justification possible, or gratuitous lewdness like figures with their legs spread wide open.

There have been two times where I had to push my line. Asmodeus is one of them. That face, that epic wing-like cape, those zigzag patterns, the humungous horns - I couldn't pass her up. But there's no denying the fact that her ballon-like boobs are the size of her head, maybe larger. My mom absolutely hates this figure, but fortunately I'm an adult and don't have to care. XD

The other figure is Alter's Selvaria Bles Swimsuit Ver. I have a general rule against swimsuit figures in the first place. They're generally so boring, just a girl standing there in a swimsuit so she's as naked as possible w/o being actually nude. Then Selvaria's got exaggerated proportions in the first place, and they choose a comically small bikini and she's all nipple pokey? *sigh* But, I bought her anyways, because Valkyria Chronilces is one of my favorite games of all time and Selvaria's one of my favorite characters. I even bought the limited edition white version while I was in Japan.

Next up testing my values? Mammon. Out of the original 7-Sins artwork, she my favorite over even Asmodeus. But since they seem to be pumping up the boobs of every figure in this series, they had to pump up Mammon's even MORE so that she'd remain bigger than everyone else. And then they gave her that bending over pose, w/ the miniature underwear and just...it's all too much. BUT - drill hair, my favorite type of hair, and a great set of horns...I still don't think I'll be able to pull the trigger on this one. Which makes me sad.

LiK

Just got my order from Mandarake. It said the box was damaged but I see no noticeable damage at all on the box.

BSos0zhCYAA4cH8.jpg

maybe they consider minor creases damage, heh. so how's the ordering process with them? simple and easy like with AmiAmi?

Aytrial

Just got my order from Mandarake. It said the box was damaged but I see no noticeable damage at all on the box.

BSos0zhCYAA4cH8.jpg

Do you see that frayed top left corner?! THAT'S SOME MAJOR DAMAGE!

Damaged boxes from Mandarake are graded from the perspective of collectors. Even then, you really have to scrutinise the box to see what they've considered "damage".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom