• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrono01

Vertex's Noel Vermillion has been painted! It still says 2013 release, but I'm hoping that will be updated later when they officially announce pre-orders and it's re-scheduled for 2014 [and not December 2013 ~_~]

These are teaser-shots, so they don't show much. We'll probably get more later tonight or on Monday when they update.

iAtPBFhXIC1xu.jpg

iwCC2qmtA3lsj.jpg

iQIDAYnlAL5wH.jpg

I need a Noel, since I missed out on the original Hobby Japan version and didn't care for the re-color of her. This definitely seems like a viable solution to that!

Toki767

Noel's looking really nice. Will definitely have to get her. I was sad the original Hobby Japan figure is like $200 used now. Though I'm glad there's a long hair version of her here. Vertex usually makes good figures I trust?

chrono01

Noel's looking really nice. Will definitely have to get her. I was sad the original Hobby Japan figure is like $200 used now. Though I'm glad there's a long hair version of her here. Vertex usually makes good figures I trust?
Vertex is relatively new, but they've done some pretty nice figures [namely their Asuka Langley with her ridiculously over-sized ship].

If her price isn't too much, I'll definitely take the risk. If she's somewhere around the 8,000 yen price-point, I'd likely still purchase her, but if she's any more than that I will have to give it some serious thought [since she's only a 1/8 scale].

Toki767

I like Noel, but a lot is going to depend on pricing. Considering she's a small girl, and figure prices going the way they are...
I guess for me it helps that I don't really have anything else I'm interested in for the rest of the year. I must be watching all the wrong things or something since I have no clue who a lot of the figures up for preorder are.

chrono01

I guess for me it helps that I don't really have anything else I'm interested in for the rest of the year. I must be watching all the wrong things or something since I have no clue who a lot of the figures up for preorder are.
I envy you, to a point. The rest of 2013 will be killer on my wallet. >_<

Also, how could you not want this!?

ib6iXauOzHi1h.jpg

Toki767

Vertex is relatively new, but they've done some pretty nice figures [namely their Asuka Langley with her ridiculously over-sized ship].

If her price isn't too much, I'll definitely take the risk. If she's somewhere around the 8,000 yen price-point, I'd likely still purchase her, but if she's any more than that I will have to give it some serious thought [since she's only a 1/8 scale].
I kind of want all my figures to be 1/8 scale. It bugs me when some are so much bigger or smaller than the others. 1/7 would probably be fine but I wouldn't want 1/6

I still haven't played Fire Emblem Awakening. It's just been sitting here.

... Have you ever watched Evangelion? It's not a ship. It's an entry plug. Kind of like a cockpit, which is then pumped full of LCL (an oxygenated gel) and inserted into a giant humanoid robot (the actual Evangelion unit).

:D

And they have Ayanami Rei as well, now.

chrono01

I kind of want all my figures to be 1/8 scale. It bugs me when some are so much bigger or smaller than the others. 1/7 would probably be fine but I wouldn't want 1/6

I still haven't played Fire Emblem Awakening. It's just been sitting here.
You must play it! Then you will realize the greatness of Tharja.

... Have you ever watched Evangelion? It's not a ship. It's an entry plug. Kind of like a cockpit, which is then pumped full of LCL (an oxygenated gel) and inserted into a giant humanoid robot (the actual Evangelion unit).

And they have Ayanami Rei as well, now.
I am ashamed to say that I have not watched it, although it's on my "queue". I know it's kind of one of those "love it or hate it" kind of situations, but I feel like I should watch it regardless.

I thank you for my earlier mistake.

I am ashamed to say that I have not watched it, although it's on my "queue". I know it's kind of one of those "love it or hate it" kind of situations, but I feel like I should watch it regardless.

I'm a bit surprised. I'd assumed at this point that everyone has seen it. Don't forget to watch End of Evangelion as well. It's basically an alternate ending meant to replace the last couple episodes of the TV series (if you want it to).

The new movies are worth checking out as well, especially 2.0...

chrono01

I'm a bit surprised. I'd assumed at this point that everyone has seen it. Don't forget to watch End of Evangelion as well. It's basically an alternate ending meant to replace the last couple episodes of the TV series (if you want it to).

The new movies are worth checking out as well, especially 2.0...
Yeah, it's one of those classics that I've been meaning to watch, but I keep putting it off for the new shows. I'll get around to it eventually, though, that's for sure.

I'll keep your recommendation in-mind once I do.

Toki767

It looks like Vertex seems to sell all of their 1/8 scale figures for 8800 yen so that's how much I expect their Noel figure to start at. So probably under 8000 from Amiami or other places hopefully.

Also, Alter's figure quality is pretty impressive even in their non-scale figures. Just got these in this week.
BUFqQN2CUAAYKA5.jpg

I can get behind a bishoujo Spider-Woman as long as they don't do something ridiculous like putting eyes in her mask. I might be wrong about but this might be the first bishoujo where we can't see the eyes.

Luigi87

Vertex's Noel Vermillion has been painted! It still says 2013 release, but I'm hoping that will be updated later when they officially announce pre-orders and it's re-scheduled for 2014 [and not December 2013 ~_~]

These are teaser-shots, so they don't show much. We'll probably get more later tonight or on Monday when they update.

iAtPBFhXIC1xu.jpg

iwCC2qmtA3lsj.jpg

iQIDAYnlAL5wH.jpg

I need a Noel, since I missed out on the original Hobby Japan version and didn't care for the re-color of her. This definitely seems like a viable solution to that!
*runs around throwing confetti*
FINALLY

I can get behind a bishoujo Spider-Woman as long as they don't do something ridiculous like putting eyes in her mask. I might be wrong about but this might be the first bishoujo where we can't see the eyes.
There is mystique sort of and assume you mean kotos.

I can see the greatness of Tharja just from that pic on this page.

She is a great piece. At first I hated the character and wanted to avoid the statue. I'm doing my second playthrough now and she's started to grow on me so I po'd it

cajunator

Banned
I envy you, to a point. The rest of 2013 will be killer on my wallet. >_<

Also, how could you not want this!?

ib6iXauOzHi1h.jpg

I don't want that.

Got this beauty in yesterday, and opened her up:

50YZSz9.jpg

I've wanted her for ages, but she hasn't popped up much.
She looks great! I kept my expectations in check ;) and overall I'm quite pleased.

She was a "B" on amiami preowned, and she does have a few *small* marks on her. But they are not really obvious or distracting, so I'm not too bothered.

what figure is this? Shes lovely!

I'll pass on Noel, based on Mitsuru's final result/QC. She's about joint worst quality in my collection, yet the price was pretty high. Shame because the sculpt and prototype were outstanding, like Noel's will probably be.

Vertex's Mitsuru is rated at 7.38/10 on MFC. Is she really that bad? What's wrong with her?

Why is 7.38 bad? It's a 10-point scale. This seems too much like those people who complain about reviews when games they like get a 7 instead of a 9.5. I wouldn't have rated her any higher, either. When you take into account some of the amazing figures out there, I think a 7 out of 10 is generous.

From what I've seen, she looks fine. The reason I passed on her was because she just wasn't an attention-grabber. While her color-scheme was an accurate representation of how she appeared in the game, I thought there was just too much black and white. It made her seem a bit bland, at least as far as my own taste in aesthetics is concerned. Oh, and that price. Wasn't going to pay $100-ish for a figure I wasn't head-over-heels for.

shes a 7 cuz somebody put a 1. Actually a few I think. Shes honestly a 6.5-7/10 in reality in which 5 is average.

Likewise Dizzy/momohime would be an 8.5 with ultimate madoka being a 9 for me.

shes a 7 cuz somebody put a 1. Actually a few I think. Shes honestly a 6.5-7/10 in reality in which 5 is average.

Likewise Dizzy/momohime would be an 8.5 with ultimate madoka being a 9 for me.

Ugh. Don't tempt me. I'm still thinking about Madoka, but I don't really wanna sacrifice an entire detolf shelf to one figure.

Vertex's Mitsuru is rated at 7.38/10 on MFC. Is she really that bad? What's wrong with her?

More manufacturing errors than any other figure I own. Inaccurate paintwork. I used a hairdryer to loosen the entry for her accessories and still got mad paint transfer. The glossy areas of the suit are duller than the prototype, but there's 2 random shiny spots that catch the light and look weird. I can't tell if those are missing paint or what.

She's not awful or anything, but compared to the rest of my collection the quality isn't good and not at all worth the asking price, which I assume is high purely because of the crazy amount of PVC used.

I didn't rate on MFC but she'd be around a 6 and mostly for the sculpt. The prototype would be an 8/9.

Yeesh, like I literally had that window open but needed to restart my comp. Now it says he's unavailable.

Is there any store where he's still in stock? I thought no one cared about guy figures, I never imagined I'd need to act quick for this at all.

I hadnt initially planned on getting him, but then the painted version pics and how popular he was made ne rush to preorder. First time ive seen one sell out in hours, at least utapri lasted a few days.

I want a kise!

RMI

Banned
You must play it! Then you will realize the greatness of Tharja.

Tharja is great, but Noire wound up being my favorite. I'm passing on the Tharja statue (probably will regret it later), but there are some other FE:A characters I'd like to see.

Tharja is great, but Noire wound up being my favorite. I'm passing on the Tharja statue (probably will regret it later), but there are some other FE:A characters I'd like to see.
Ah yes there are many other awakening characters I want as well. I'd also love to see eliwood/hector/lyn from the first na gba title. I'm sure there are tons of people who would be downfor hhector and lyn too.

johnsmith

remember me
Why is 7.38 bad? It's a 10-point scale. This seems too much like those people who complain about reviews when games they like get a 7 instead of a 9.5. I wouldn't have rated her any higher, either. When you take into account some of the amazing figures out there, I think a 7 out of 10 is generous.

From what I've seen, she looks fine. The reason I passed on her was because she just wasn't an attention-grabber. While her color-scheme was an accurate representation of how she appeared in the game, I thought there was just too much black and white. It made her seem a bit bland, at least as far as my own taste in aesthetics is concerned. Oh, and that price. Wasn't going to pay $100-ish for a figure I wasn't head-over-heels for.
Because 7.38 is a terrible score on MFC. There's score inflation on MFC, and really, the scale is from 8-10 based on what I've seen. None of my scale figures are rated less than 8. So to see something rated that low is a really bad sign. 5/10 is definitely NOT average. 8.5/10 is probably closer to average.

More manufacturing errors than any other figure I own. Inaccurate paintwork. I used a hairdryer to loosen the entry for her accessories and still got mad paint transfer. The glossy areas of the suit are duller than the prototype, but there's 2 random shiny spots that catch the light and look weird. I can't tell if those are missing paint or what.

She's not awful or anything, but compared to the rest of my collection the quality isn't good and not at all worth the asking price, which I assume is high purely because of the crazy amount of PVC used.

I didn't rate on MFC but she'd be around a 6 and mostly for the sculpt. The prototype would be an 8/9.
Great. Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for, and the score makes sense now. Sounds like everything I was worried about happening due to her being made by a new company happened. Vertex just doesn't have the experience to be pulling off complex figures like this, and charging this much. I'm pretty sure she's going to end up in the bargain bin or cheap on mandarake with all these problems.

Because 7.38 is a terrible score on MFC. There's score inflation on MFC, and really, the scale is from 8-10 based on what I've seen. None of my scale figures are rated less than 8. So to see something rated that low is a really bad sign. 5/10 is definitely NOT average. 8.5/10 is probably closer to average.

I think that just speaks more to the skewed perspective of the MFC community than the quality of any specific figure. On a 10-point scale, a 5 DOES represent average. That's the way 10-point scales work.

Awwww yeah!

I'm a little jelly. I would have bought her too if the S-logo didn't look a bit weird to me. Though I'm partial to the Evil Supergirl variant. Nice pickup though. I'm just waiting for you to break down and start buying figures outside of the bishoujo line.

It'll happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom