• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Damn. That's a lot of figures.

I know the feeling
VYlFH8n.jpg

*Gasp*

KOTO SQUID GIRL OMGWTF DO WANT!!!

But dude, that's seriously a lot of boxes. I just save my amiami boxes and put the boxes in those boxes. Boxes in boxes!

EDIT: Just found a pre-owned Koto Squid Girl on AmiAmi, Condition A / B for $39. Added it to my monthly order. So cuuuuuuuute.

Well, you are also getting what will likely be an amazing game that you'll invest a solid 20-25 hours into if its anything like demon souls so I'd say it's worth it

...You should be getting way more than 25 hours out of a Souls game. It's all about dat New Game+. And ++. And +++! Dark Souls let you level to like, Level 700 or something.

RMI

Banned
Well, you are also getting what will likely be an amazing game that you'll invest a solid 20-25 hours into if its anything like demon souls so I'd say it's worth it

Dark Souls II will be bought one way or another, that's not the question here. What I'm unsure about is whether or not the extra stuff in the collector's edition is worth the extra $60 for me. Of all the stuff in there, I'm actually least enthusiastic about that statue.

Dark Souls II will be bought one way or another, that's not the question here. What I'm unsure about is whether or not the extra stuff in the collector's edition is worth the extra $60 for me. Of all the stuff in there, I'm actually least enthusiastic about that statue.

I really need to see the figure. I don't know/think that it's going to be something worth an extra $60. It's 12" tall, which indicates it's going for size over quality.

The statue looks awful, which is a shame considering how great the art direction of the first game was. The posing is atrocious.

Unless Namco overprints the hell out of it, that bundle will certainly skyrocket. Not Persona 4 pre-order bonus skyrocket, but still pretty high up there.

Elixir

So, uh..

What are the chances of Alphamax's Alisa being able to support her weapon, without the need for the stand?

chrono01

Thanks, I fixed it hopefully!
Nice collection!

I really should take a picture of my one of these days, perhaps once I get a better camera [the only one I have is my [ancient] iPhone 3GS, although I'll be upgrading that one in a short while.

I have nightmares that my tower of figure boxes [and the figures within] will crush me...

So, uh..

What are the chances of Alphamax's Alisa being able to support her weapon, without the need for the stand?
Pretty likely, I'd say. Probably similar to Naoe Kanetsugu from Alter.

Aplhamax is a great manufacturer, though. I'm sure she'll come out amazing.

Edit - Never mind, stand is already evident in promotional pictures!

ibuEGtntHnMbcl.jpg

Edit # 2 - Sorry, I misread your post.

If you have the intention of displaying her, definitely use the stand. It's there for a reason and I wouldn't risk it.

So, uh..

I wouldn't do it. When stands are included, they're included for a reason. Plastic costs money, and they wouldn't use more if it wasn't needed.

Pretty likely, I'd say. Probably similar to Naoe Kanetsugu from Alter.

Ugh. I kind of regret buying Naoe because of what a pain in the dick that stand can be. But I fear the toll time would take on the PVC if it wasn't there.

I wouldn't do it. When stands are included, they're included for a reason. Plastic costs money, and they wouldn't use more if it wasn't needed.

Ugh. I kind of regret buying Naoe because of what a pain in the dick that stand can be. But I fear the toll time would take on the PVC if it wasn't there.

Naoe was hard to do for you? Hmm I kinda just slipped mine in.

In that case try amazon. I'm pretty sure I saw a collectors edition that doesn't include the statue for cheaper

sca2511

Went to look around a school that I'm transferring to and decided to go check out the local comic shops. One of the shops had the Evil Supergirl Bishoujo for $120 and it probably took me 20 minutes to decide whether or not to pick it up since I already have the standard version. It didn't help that my girlfriend was egging me on to get it. Now I'm deciding if I should sell the standard one.

vBwA59al.jpg

edit: and you're right johnsmith, Mystique looks good. Realized it once I got a closer look.

Went to look around a school that I'm transferring to and decided to go check out the local comic shops. One of the shops had the Evil Supergirl Bishoujo for $120 and it probably took me 20 minutes to decide whether or not to pick it up since I already have the standard version. It didn't help that my girlfriend was egging me on to get it. Now I'm deciding if I should sell the standard one.

I would, but ouch. $120 for a bishoujo has to hurt.

edit: and you're right johnsmith, Mystique looks good. Realized it once I got a closer look.

Heh, I just picked mine up from the post office this morning. The peg on the front flap of her dress won't stay in the slot, but since the rear one is fine, and she's kneeling anyhow, I don't see that it matters.

sca2511

I would, but ouch. $120 for a bishoujo has to hurt.

Heh, I just picked mine up from the post office this morning. The peg on the front flap of her dress won't stay in the slot, but since the rear one is fine, and she's kneeling anyhow, I don't see that it matters.

Yeah it sort of did. Pretty much why I'm considering selling the other.

Yeah it sort of did. Pretty much why I'm considering selling the other.

I definitely like the look of Evil Supergirl, but just like bishoujo Batgirl, I think anything over $100 for something from that line is ludicrous. But it seems like you got off easy considering she usually goes for more.

george_us

I definitely like the look of Evil Supergirl, but just like bishoujo Batgirl, I think anything over $100 for something from that line is ludicrous. But it seems like you got off easy considering she usually goes for more.
What makes you think the Bishoujo's aren't worth $100? I don't know much about figures at all so I'm curious as to what you think.

In other news, that Phat! Company Bayonetta statue is going to be my first non-Bishoujo purchase!

Labrys

I got Nendoroid Kurisu from Steins;Gate randomly in the mail today, wasn't expecting it at all.

It's a nice re-release. A kinda bare-bones nendoroid, but she's nice and goes well with my figma Kurisu.

What makes you think the Bishoujo's aren't worth $100? I don't know much about figures at all so I'm curious as to what you think.

In other news, that Phat! Company Bayonetta statue is going to be my first non-Bishoujo purchase!

the fact that they go on amazon for about 45-50~ generally speaking. They are also not on the same level of an alter level figure.

Bishoujos are good for the price they release at. But when they get difficult to find and the price skyrockets, I don't think they're really worth paying triple-retail value, given the general quality of the sculpts when compared with figures put out by companies like Alter, Max Factory, or even other lines from Koto themselves. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part, the idea of paying $150 for a bishoujo is ridiculous. The one exception probably being Catwoman. If someone offered me a sealed Catwoman bishoujo for $150, I'd snap it up. That's how I feel about it. But on the other hand, with this hobby, a lot of value is placed on what you like and how much a figure is worth to you.

cajunator

Banned
Damn Caj. How can you keep them like that? I throw my boxes away.
'Cos I'm a monster
The ones I don't, I throw away the inserts and fold up.

Cause thats a closet in my bathroom thats pretty useless otherwise.
Its convenient for just throwing stuff into and forgetting about it.

LiK

I've thought about it, but dude... detolfs are heavy.

yup, i was thinking of getting a low Ikea cabinet for the bottom to store other stuff and put the Detolfs on top. i always feel like the bottom row is wasted cuz it's so low. now that i thought about it, i might go ahead with this plan.

yup, i was thinking of getting a low Ikea cabinet for the bottom to store other stuff and put the Detolfs on top. i always feel like the bottom row is wasted cuz it's so low. now that i thought about it, i might go ahead with this plan.

I haven't even put anything on the bottom shelves of my detolfs yet for that reason. I feel like if I put anyone down there, it means I love them least. :(

Toki767

My local comic shop actually has that Koto Emma Frost diamond version for $65. Tempted to pick it up but it looks smaller than I thought it would.

sca2511

My local comic shop actually has that Koto Emma Frost diamond version for $65. Tempted to pick it up but it looks smaller than I thought it would.

The clear version is alright, though I'd preferably go for the standard edition. That 3x price hike though. If you like it, grab it.

The cheapest standard Emma Frost is going for $239 not including shipping.on eBay currently. So a bit above 3x the MSRP.
My bad! I thought you were saying the $65 Diamond Emma Frost at that guys' LCS was a 3x price hike, because that's actually really good considering the eBay prices.

You're familiar with the aftermarket, yes? Once an item is discontinued, list price doesn't mean a thing.
See above, misunderstanding.

george_us

Bishoujos are good for the price they release at. But when they get difficult to find and the price skyrockets, I don't think they're really worth paying triple-retail value, given the general quality of the sculpts when compared with figures put out by companies like Alter, Max Factory, or even other lines from Koto themselves. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part, the idea of paying $150 for a bishoujo is ridiculous. The one exception probably being Catwoman. If someone offered me a sealed Catwoman bishoujo for $150, I'd snap it up. That's how I feel about it. But on the other hand, with this hobby, a lot of value is placed on what you like and how much a figure is worth to you.
Very enlightening post, especially when it comes to knowing which companies make the highest quality figures.

I wound up pre-ordering a Phat! Bayonetta from HLJ for $119 w/o shipping. I wanted to wait until she was released to see what other people had to say about her but pre-orders seemed to be going quick or they were charging more than I was comfortable spending.

Bombless

Very enlightening post, especially when it comes to knowing which companies make the highest quality figures.

I wound up pre-ordering a Phat! Company Bayonetta from HLJ for $119 w/o shipping. I wanted to wait until she was released to see what other people had to say about her but pre-orders seemed to be going quick or they were charging more than I was comfortable spending.

Just fyi, Phat!'s Bayo has been delayed 3 or 4 months in a row now. I am beginning to think it will come out in November when the ova is released (or December if we're REALLY unlucky).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom