• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT4| Witty Title Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Look at those nice Nendoroids.

W1ZiVIu.jpg
Still on about that?

STOP SHOWING GOD EATER NENDOS WHILE I'M BROKE! !!

Alisa%20Illinichina%20Amiella%20GOD%20EATER%202%20Nendoroid%2005.jpg

^---perfect response

Wow, that really is a lot better!

In tangentially related news, I got some a new tripod and rail parts to use w/ my camera:

My old tripod is the segmented GorillaPod in the back. While better than shooting by hand, it is non-rigid enough to cause lots of issues with macro photography. Pressing the shutter on the camera is enough pressure to cause a movement or change in position of the camera. The ball-head screw doesn't tighten enough to prevent gravity from tilting the camera down a bit after letting go of it.

I bought a nice new normal tabletop tripod w/ ball-head mount and some Arca swiss compatible (i.e. nearly universal) plates and rails. The rails allow me to make small adjustments the position of the camera w/o having to move the whole tripod, and the L-bracket there is for the ability to mount the camera in portrait orientation like the 2nd picture shows. A friend let me play with his similar equipment earlier in the week at our office and the difference lining up and locking in shots was almost night and day.

tl;dr - I bought some new toys to make it easier to take nice figure photos!

What did the new tripod end up costing you and where'd you get it from. I seriously need to start using my camera again.

SerTapTap

Eh? All posable leg nendos have that. You just have to try to hide it a bit. More articulation, more problems. IMO nendos strike around the right balance and it's usually decently easy to hide the articulable jank, except on the ones with bendable knees/elbows.

Yaari

That Nozomi, lol. Perhaps getting into these Birthday Project figures isnt the smartest idea not knowing how the rest of em will turn out. I know its another manufacturer, but the poses remain the same, and perhaps challenging.

But if I don't buy them, they will raise in price though.

Giolon

What did the new tripod end up costing you and where'd you get it from. I seriously need to start using my camera again.

All of the parts together cost about $100, but the tripod alone was $30. I got all the stuff on Amazon.

The tripod is this Slik Mini-Pro. My friend has had his for over 15 years and it's still just as good as the day he bought it. Since I knew I was getting the Arca swiss adapters, the most basic attachment plate on the ball-head was fine. However, if you don't plan to get any of the Arca swiss stuff, then I'd recommend spending $5 more and getting this Slik Mini-Pro Dq. It's exactly the same except the ball-head has a quick-release plate. It's so much more convenient when you can just pop your camera on and off the tripod easily.

Now, about all this Arca swiss stuff. It's basically a system of universal rails and mounts that work with almost any camera and almost any tripod. All of this stuff I bought is actually Arca "compatible" - because real Arca stuff is stupidly expensive - but when you're just dealing with what's essentially a metal block, who cares what brand name it is? Especially when you're only going to pay 1/10th the price of the name brand?

At the most basic, you need a clamp like this one I bought for $26 (though I find similar ones for as cheap as $10) and a plate like this $13 one that I got. Beyond that are stuff like the rails that let you make horizontal adjustments without moving the tripod, or L-brackets to mount the camera in portrait orientation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom