• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT4| Witty Title Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but conversation is pretty much always just "I preordered X amount of figures, GAF plz halp", which is fine and fun to read, I just cant contribute much haha.

Edit: Glad to hear you are learning how to take better photos though! Every potato in this thread is a missed opportunity.

Well start the conversation about the actual photography of the figs. I would definitely be interested in reading about that. Especially ways to get good pics from sub par cameras.

Yeah but conversation is pretty much always just "I preordered X amount of figures, GAF plz halp", which is fine and fun to read, I just cant contribute much haha.

Edit: Glad to hear you are learning how to take better photos though! Every potato in this thread is a missed opportunity.

Thanks. It will still take a while for me to take good pictures though, but I'm trying.

Well start the conversation about the actual photography of the figs. I would definitely be interested in reading about that. Especially ways to get good pics from sub par cameras.
Well if we want, I can try and make a semi-comprehensive "figure" photography bit, though camera phones are difficult to work with, particularly with figures being as small as they are. Framing, however, is ever important though!

Edit: Ryoisuke, the cool thing about figures is that they'll sit there and wait for you. You get as much time to adjust as you need, and its great practice for learning framing and adjusting settings.

Not so great for learning any action photography though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
LwPydTx.jpg

sGXLB6t.jpg

Holy lord I need to start watching this. Looks like it's on Crunchy Roll. <3

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
This is me all the time. I prefer taking pictures of figures, not making preorders haha.

I bought some cheap ass lights at IKEA hoping I could use them instead of led strips, while I was wrong I did find if I shone those lights though some of my yamato space girl bases I could create more artsy pictures:

The only trick to photography I know, I learned from my grandpa, take many photo's and never show all the ones that suck...

The reg is 1000 iirc.
So, I have WW EX, Power Girl EX, Vampirella, Kier, Pinhead, Machiko and Emma Frost... Lady Death will be this week and I'm looking at Gethsemoni right now.
I want Batman, too.

Looking at Gethsemoni, as in you have her right now and you haven't taken a picture? O_O

That was one of the PF's I really liked. Does she have a story, or was she just a "Hey guys, wouldn't a chick in Predator armor be rad as fuck?" type of thing?
She was created age ago in the old Dark horse Predator comics, her back story:
http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Machiko_Noguchi

I bought some cheap ass lights at IKEA hoping I could use them instead of led strips, while I was wrong I did find if I shone those lights though some of my yamato space girl bases I could create more artsy pictures

Those are the same lights you see in places where women are often slipped roofies. Do not like.

Want dat Kai, tho.

And that Batwoman
I have that Batwoman

Well if we want, I can try and make a semi-comprehensive "figure" photography bit, though camera phones are difficult to work with, particularly with figures being as small as they are. Framing, however, is ever important though!.

I would absolutely love you for this. I asked in the previous OT, but never had a response from anyone. I've been looking for some comprehensive newbie guides for photography. Not just for figures, but scenery too for taking better pictures when I'm out in town or exploring the island. I'm also trying to make sense of articles I find suggesting different cameras.

I found a photography thread on GAF, but it had no posted guides or articles, and I couldn't gain anything from context reading it because of all the jargon being thrown around.

I bought some cheap ass lights at IKEA hoping I could use them instead of led strips, while I was wrong I did find if I shone those lights though some of my yamato space girl bases I could create more artsy pictures:

The only trick to photography I know, I learned from my grandpa, take many photo's and never show all the ones that suck...

Looking at Gethsemoni, as in you have her right now and you haven't taken a picture? O_O

She was created age ago in the old Dark horse Predator comics, her back story:
http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Machiko_Noguchi
That first one looks really good! The lighting really adds to it. The other two are good too, but the lighting seems to be less effective for those.

And yeah, photography is basically taking 100 photos, and showing off 5 of them. Too many of one subject, and they'll lose impact. Take too few, and you're more likely to not get a good shot.

I would absolutely love you for this. I asked in the previous OT, but never had a response from anyone. I've been looking for some comprehensive newbie guides for photography. Not just for figures, but scenery too for taking better pictures when I'm out in town or exploring the island. I'm also trying to make sense of articles I find suggesting different cameras.

I found a photography thread on GAF, but it had no posted guides or articles, and I couldn't gain anything from context reading it because of all the jargon being thrown around.
Yeah, after work Ill go ahead and start working on it. Be warned though: The biggest chunk of it is how to use manual settings: There's a LOT to learn with that. I'll try and keep that as concise as I can.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
Want dat Kai, tho.

And that Batwoman
I have that Batwoman

Kai and Batwoman, were the highlights of my day. Well everything that came today was except for Yuki Mori, space girls are better bought at half price.

Yeah, after work Ill go ahead and start working on it. Be warned though: The biggest chunk of it is how to use manual settings: There's a LOT to learn with that. I'll try and keep that as concise as I can.
Looking forward to this, taking my camera out of full auto mode only results in shit...

Ummm

What is this. I need it

It's awesome, and yes you do, if you don't mind putting it together...

I..I shouldn't have asked

D:

Sometimes the less you know the better...

Kai and Batwoman, were the highlights of my day. Well everything that came today was except for Yuki Mori, space girls are better bought at half price.

Looking forward to this, taking my camera out of full auto mode only results in shit...

It's awesome, and yes you do, if you don't mind putting it together...

Sometimes the less you know the better...
Hardest part is light. It really is. I'll go over that later though.
Actually, its pretty much most of it, given what you are doing.

While we have down time during this training, I'm going to start taking the sample photos.

Wanderer5

Kancolle anime is no good... already too much abyssal screen time
I kid, but I love the main cast so much more

Seems people here don't collect plushies. I was going to start with that giant "substitute" pokemon doll thing Sakurai had during a direct, but it turned out that it was quite expensive

4e6b1ba5-0454-496c-921f-d7f0345ccb8d_zps529f11ab.jpg

X3 I probably going to end up getting the Cobalion pokemon center plush eventually this year.

Kancolle anime is no good... already too much abyssal screen time
I kid, but I love the main cast so much more

Seems people here don't collect plushies. I was going to start with that giant "substitute" pokemon doll thing Sakurai had during a direct, but it turned out that it was quite expensive

I like plushies, they are cool.

4e6b1ba5-0454-496c-921f-d7f0345ccb8d_zps529f11ab.jpg

X3 I probably going to end up getting the Cobalion pokemon center plush eventually this year.

Nice collection, as always.

Hardest part is light. It really is. I'll go over that later though.
Actually, its pretty much most of it, given what you are doing.

While we have down time during this training, I'm going to start taking the sample photos.

Really looking forward to this.

Trying to give the Metal Slug a better sense of scale:

Bonus shot:
Metal Slug VS Luigi
FIGHT!

Holy crap that is small.

Alright, I think I've got every sample photo I need ready. Just need to import them and write the damn thing. I'll be able to start that here in about an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom