• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT4| Witty Title Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is strictly the best place to discuss this, but are there any garage kit painters/modellers?

Myself and a friend airbrushed our first figure. There's a lot to improve, so any suggestions would be incredibly helpful.

Here's a link :)
http://adamesat.tumblr.com/post/115607181194/sketchrobin-aah-this-is-done-sort-of-me-and

That's a pretty great job or the first time. The stockings in particular are painted very well. Only criticisms I can bring up are things that wI'll just improve with practice. The black looks it could use some shading and the hair and flesh look a little muddy.

Here is a pretty good Youtube channel for GK tutorials. Leonas Workshop.

SerTapTap

Oh what's this about mirrored risers? Recommendations? Sounds cool for display, my senran kagura mini-figs are sort of impossible to display right (I have 15, 20 total, all the same height), risers would help a lot

One day I hope that I won't get arrested in my own country for lewd figures~
Home Ministry seizes sexy dolls, rude tees, weed paraphernalia - The Star Online Malaysia

Time to spot which figures in the photo!

Crazy. Glad I can order my titty figures in peace in the U S of Freedom
I don't even have any nude figs but I might eventually

Einbroch

Banned
Oh what's this about mirrored risers? Recommendations? Sounds cool for display, my senran kagura mini-figs are sort of impossible to display right (I have 15, 20 total, all the same height), risers would help a lot

mlOmDik.jpg

Mirrored risers give a really cool effect, and look awesome when under light since they reflect and light up your figures evenly from all angles. My lights broke when I moved, so one day I'll have to trek up to IKEA to get some more.

Mirrored risers give a really cool effect, and look awesome when under light since they reflect and light up your figures evenly from all angles. My lights broke when I moved, so one day I'll have to trek up to IKEA to get some more.

Ohhh I like! Where are you ordering from? ( I know you have probably shared this link before )

Einbroch

Banned
Ohhh I like! Where are you ordering from? ( I know you have probably shared this link before )

http://www.advertdisplays.com/Acrylic-Risers.html

However, they're questionable when it comes to customer service. I ordered 10 originally, no issue. I ordered 14 more mirrored risers last week, opened the box today and they were clear. I hope they'll send em the correct ones, but they've been horrible getting back to me.

Btw, those are 4x4x4.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is strictly the best place to discuss this, but are there any garage kit painters/modellers?

Myself and a friend airbrushed our first figure. There's a lot to improve, so any suggestions would be incredibly helpful.

Here's a link :)
http://adamesat.tumblr.com/post/115607181194/sketchrobin-aah-this-is-done-sort-of-me-and

I just finish sanding my first kit, but got distracted because I am not mentally prepare to do skin shading. Just thinking about it give me a headache, why are human skin so complex,I miss painting gunpla.

Your figure ended up pretty nice, but like someone mention it is not as vibrant (or maybe you aimed for the darker look?).

If you want brighter color, try base coat your figure white. Also when you mix color (especially when you want vibrant color), you have to pay attention to color bias, this video helped me a lot in this regard.

mlOmDik.jpg

That's very cool, I plan on getting mirrors when I get new shelves.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

That's a pretty nice wall of cute.

SerTapTap

However, they're questionable when it comes to customer service. I ordered 10 originally, no issue. I ordered 14 more mirrored risers last week, opened the box today and they were clear. I hope they'll send em the correct ones, but they've been horrible getting back to me.

Btw, those are 4x4x4.

Does anyone make them in solid "staircase" things or do you just make your own with the different heights?

Ryuuroden

Btw, those are 4x4x4.

Awesome, just ordered one each of 3 different sizes to try out for my LEGO display so I can start raising some of the star wars star fighters over others etc.

SerTapTap

Some places do, but I have yet to find a size/price that makes it worth it. They're usually stupidly expensive and are strange heights.

Ah. I guess these are more versatile anyway. Hm, no 1" tall mirrored ones. Come to think of it, if the case is clear, would clear or mirrored risers be better? Don't have the case yet but probably going to get a DETOLF or two.

Nice! I want the Momohime and Asuka...bit pricy though

Thanks! Yeah I got lucky with great prices with both of them so hopefully one day they'll get rereleased for people who would love them but are too pricy!

Nice setup. The Jude and Milla are both Alter right?

Thanks! and yes every tales of figure in my collection except for Colette is made by Alter, Colette is made by Kotobukiya

Thanks for sharing!

So many katana owners lately. I'm more of a longsword man myself.

Glad you liked it! and yeah Ive seen so many people with them and always wanted one so I decided why not lol its a nice compliment to the top of the display.

who else besides me and you?

And you have a lot more room in there colette, step it up!

That room is left there on purpose, its my unofficial, official Tales of display shelf. When Lloyd, Asbel and Sorey release they'll be heading there too :p Momohime, Asuka and both Asuna's are there in the meantime while there is space because they are beautiful and are nice statement pieces lol

I unboxed my Alishia a a few minutes ago, now I share to all of you my terrible quality pictures of my living room display lol

Man, that Alicia has a really weird-shaped base. I'm getting mine from the post office tomorrow. And I got my shipping notification for Asuka. Yessssssss.

Yay! Sabo.

Man, they're still putting out P.O.P. figures? They're trying to get up into Nendo numbers or something.

Oh wow I'm surprised to see it 3D printed! The colour can be more vibrant since I do quite a lot of airbrush work for mixed media illustration during my college life. It looks slightly... muddy looking? Not sure if that is the right term.

I'm more of a illustrator/compositor/lighting artist with basic modelling skill but so my opinion is not the best lol.

Wow, yeah, I think that looks pretty dang good for a first attempt.

This is pretty rad for a first attempt. Sadly I don't have a very good critical eye for figures, so I can't provide any meaningful feedback. Keep at it though and feel free to post any other GKs!

That's a pretty great job or the first time. The stockings in particular are painted very well. Only criticisms I can bring up are things that wI'll just improve with practice. The black looks it could use some shading and the hair and flesh look a little muddy.

Here is a pretty good Youtube channel for GK tutorials. Leonas Workshop.

I just finish sanding my first kit, but got distracted because I am not mentally prepare to do skin shading. Just thinking about it give me a headache, why are human skin so complex,I miss painting gunpla.

Your figure ended up pretty nice, but like someone mention it is not as vibrant (or maybe you aimed for the darker look?).

If you want brighter color, try base coat your figure white. Also when you mix color (especially when you want vibrant color), you have to pay attention to color bias, this video helped me a lot in this regard.

Thanks for the super helpful comments guys :)
One of the benefits of having collected hundreds of figures is I have a realistic idea and expectation of what could be achieved. It's still ways off, but having looked at videos like Leona's Workshop, I'm already excited to try out some new airbrushing techniques.

I also need to print them out in more seperate parts. Especially the head and face. We repainted that so many times because we kept fucking up. Also being a bit more patient with drying times.

Here's a previous pic I took to demonstrate the process from design to model.

B_SFPpaW8AETty9.jpg

I would be very happy to answer any questions in regards to the printing process if anyone is interested :)

Man, that Alicia has a really weird-shaped base. I'm getting mine from the post office tomorrow. And I got my shipping notification for Asuka. Yessssssss.

Her base is a diamond, I have the base at an angle so it makes it look a bit different but I like the pose it makes her have. and grats! You'll love them both!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom