• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT5| Discussion opened, posters a little damaged

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Homer-yells-nerd.gif

Ein calling FigureGAF out

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
"Revenge is like a two-headed rat-viper. While you watch your enemy go down, you're being poisoned yourself."

Aang - The Last Airbender

You know, I'd MAYBE install a linux distro... if fucking anything worked on it without spending hours upon hours to get even basic functionality working.

Doesn't help that I have AMD.

And I work from home, which is strictly Windows.

Einbroch

Banned
You know, I'd MAYBE install a linux distro... if fucking anything worked on it without spending hours upon hours to get even basic functionality working.

Working from home, high five~

Oh, shit, I mean,

image.php

omlet

I bought a pre-built gaming computer 2 and a half years ago, building a computer seemed to complicated for me and I didn't want to risk messing it up, but maybe in a few years I'll look into it again lol

Putting it together is the easy part. The hard part is the research and shopping to get parts that will all play nice together, but even that is a lot easier now than it was several years ago.

Einbroch

Banned
Almost impossible to really mess up, too. Only somewhat confusing part is putting the wires from the components to the motherboard, but even if you're just doing it randomly you won't do any damage.

Yay lol

I bought a pre-built gaming computer 2 and a half years ago, building a computer seemed to complicated for me and I didn't want to risk messing it up, but maybe in a few years I'll look into it again lol

Blue rectangle goes into blue rectangle. That's almost literally how easy it is for the actual building. Just watch a video online of assembling one to know what stuff to look out for (there's really not much), and ask GAF for what parts to get.

Muzicfreq

Banned

in that same boat.
I do too much on my PC than I want to spend time fiddling with frigidity software to emulate running on windows.
Games that don't have linux support, ect.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Putting it together is the easy part. The hard part is the research and shopping to get parts that will all play nice together, but even that is a lot easier now than it was several years ago.

Almost impossible to really mess up, too. Only somewhat confusing part is putting the wires from the components to the motherboard, but even if you're just doing it randomly you won't do any damage.

Blue rectangle goes into blue rectangle. That's almost literally how easy it is for the actual building. Just watch a video online of assembling one to know what stuff to look out for (there's really not much), and ask GAF for what parts to get.

Yeah I've read that it's easy, when I need a new one I'll definitely look into it more. My current pc is definitely still good enough though so I don't really have a need to upgrade it just for the sake of it :p

I built well...this
http://i.imgur.com/tQvhe63.jpg

I need a new pictures, I have figures all over my desk now

Woah that looks like a nasa work station lol

Theonik

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
It is a damn tragedy that we will never see a Richard Stallman Figma.

Einbroch

Banned
How do you prevent that? I want to build a gaming pc too one day~

Build it naked in the middle of the forest on a downed tree in a rainstorm.

Honestly, don't worry about it. Build it on a table or on a hardwood floor if you're concerned. You'd have to rub your socks on the carpet and poke at it to do any real damage. Built over 20 computers, never had any issues with static.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom