• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

I loved him and didn't understand why his character arc was dropped at the end. He should have had his redemption by joining up with the party to defeat Ultimecia. I liked Rinoa so I didn't want them together :p I actually thought Quistis and Seifer would have been an interesting pairing. I think there's a few part's that imply Seifer might have had something for her.

IIRC it was because of budget issues. Another big reason I want a remake is to see them open those area's up. I would love to see how each town was affected by Ultimecia's rule.

Look closer. It's there. Took me a second.

Yeah there were a few things I would have liked to see developed more. Maybe Seifer could make Quitis a bit smarter!

If we get a HD remake of 8, I refuse to see disc 4 repeated like that! I also wanted to know more about Esthar...that place was awesome.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
0k7emAT.gif

I want this.

Looks like Valkyrie Profile.

Source of pic?

Also. Our favorite Tory boy is responsible for everything Aerith so she probably took a dive in quality after VII.

Even if I always despised her initially. And now rightfully so.

Took a break from XIII-2 and started the replay of VIII I have been wanting to do.
God I always forget just how much I love it.

Doesn't feel the slightest bit outdated coming directly from XIII and XIII-2.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
afaik, Tori = Bird and Yama = Mountain in Japanese.

So... Bird Mountain?

Wazzy

Banned
Took a break from XIII-2 and started the replay of VIII I have been wanting to do.
God I always forget just how much I love it.

Doesn't feel the slightest bit outdated coming directly from XIII and XIII-2.
Totally agree though I'm quite biased in my love for VIII. The world is so rich and lively.

Also. Our favorite Tory boy is responsible for everything Aerith so she probably took a dive in quality after VII.

Even if I always despised her initially. And now rightfully so.

I was never a big fan of Aerith either(I obviously liked her more than Tifa but that's not saying much) but her characterization really did get ruined. I thought her more interesting as someone who looked pure but was actually the exact opposite.

Totally agree though I'm quite biased in my love for VIII. The world is so rich and lively.
Also its one of the few games with no voice acting that still doesn't stick out to me.
(though for Squall at least, I have the Kingdom Hearts 2/Dissidia voice in my head as I read his lines)

Wazzy

Banned
Also its one of the few games with no voice acting that still doesn't stick out to me.
(though for Squall at least, I have the Kingdom Hearts 2/Dissidia voice in my head as I read his lines)
Yeah however I dislike Squall's voice actor and prefer to think of him either with David Boreanaz or someone similar. I found Doug's voice too deep and emotionless. I'm actually kind of worried about the voice acting for VIII, while Seifer and Selphie's have been fairly good, I don't like Squall's and feel like they would give Rinoa the most obnoxious voice, similar to Aeris's.

The monsters and various baddies saw right through that one however. In my playthroughs anyway.

I never used her so that wasn't in my playthrough :lol then again, the only characters I used outside my party of three Cid, Cloud and Red were occasionally Vincent or Yuffie.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Startin FFX today. Can't wait to see how my memories of it have held up.
I'm surprised you aren't burned out yet. You sounded like you were starting to a few months ago, iirc.

I'm waiting for FFX's HD version to drop, myself. I haven't played that game since I was a teenager, so I'm wondering if I'll like the design as much still. I've been wanting to replay FFX-2 for a while now, though. Job systems = <3.

As long as it still comes out this year, I'll be happy. Gonna need some time to get the other new releases out of the way so I can have time for FFX.

CorvoSol

I'm surprised you aren't burned out yet. You sounded like you were starting to a few months ago, iirc.

I'm waiting for FFX's HD version to drop, myself. I haven't played that game since I was a teenager, so I'm wondering if I'll like the design as much still. I've been wanting to replay FFX-2 for a while now, though. Job systems = <3.

I really am. This is why I dropped my FFT-0 FAQ project and FFD altogether. I'm burned out. I need to take a good long vacay from FF after this (though I'm still thinking I'll do my triple 1 runthrough later this year). But I promised the little bro I'd play FFX: My Little Brudda Chappu Can't Possibly Be Dis Applicable this summer.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I really am. This is why I dropped my FFT-0 FAQ project and FFD altogether. I'm burned out. I need to take a good long vacay from FF after this (though I'm still thinking I'll do my triple 1 runthrough later this year). But I promised the little bro I'd play FFX: My Little Brudda Chappu Can't Possibly Be Dis Applicable this summer.

You aren't missing much from FFD.

Manu

Hey guys, I've been playing the FF games I haven't had the chance to play before during 2013. That is, everything except for X, XII and XIII. Yeah, yeah, I know. I've always been a "fan" of FF even though I haven't played most of them until recently. I have my reasons though, but that's for another day. So far I've played and beaten VII, VIII and XIII-2, I'm also 20 hours into VI and on disc 2 of IX.

And I need your advice:

- About VI: I'm at the World of Ruin. I'm still missing Locke from my party, and according to what I've read online, Shadow is gone for good. Here's my problem: I'm lost. I'm trying to use a guide as little as possible but everything feels so open an different now it's kinda hard to know where to go or what to do. It's like the game stopped on its tracks and for some reason I can't find the motivation to continue. And I was liking it a lot until then.

- About IX: I was sold on this game as a "return to form" of sorts for the series after VII and VIII (which I absolutely loved), but I'm finding it so dull. I mean, it looks very nice and the music's good, but it feels more like the series trying too hard to get some of the old magic back than anything else imo. The characters are goofy and unlikable, the setting isn't very interesting and the gameplay (the most important part) feels like a slog most of the time. Does it get that much better? I mean, I went from epic battles among rival schools in VIII to... riverdancing rat people.

CorvoSol

Hey guys, I've been playing the FF games I haven't had the chance to play before during 2013. That is, everything except for X, XII and XIII. Yeah, yeah, I know. I've always been a "fan" of FF even though I haven't played most of them until recently. I have my reasons though, but that's for another day. So far I've played and beaten VII, VIII and XIII-2, I'm also 20 hours into VI and on disc 2 of IX.

And I need your advice:

- About VI: I'm at the World of Ruin. I'm still missing Locke from my party, and according to what I've read online, Shadow is gone for good. Here's my problem: I'm lost. I'm trying to use a guide as little as possible but everything feels so open an different now it's kinda hard to know where to go or what to do. It's like the game stopped on its tracks and for some reason I can't find the motivation to continue. And I was liking it a lot until then.

- About IX: I was sold on this game as a "return to form" of sorts for the series after VII and VIII (which I absolutely loved), but I'm finding it so dull. I mean, it looks very nice and the music's good, but it feels more like the series trying too hard to get some of the old magic back than anything else imo. The characters are goofy and unlikable, the setting isn't very interesting and the gameplay (the most important part) feels like a slog most of the time. Does it get that much better? I mean, I went from epic battles among rival schools in VIII to... riverdancing rat people.

Well I dunno what to say if you don't find IX's cast appealing, since that's just kinda a matter of taste, but I didn't like Zidane when I was young and only got to like him after playing the game. Same with Squall, really. That said, the battles really are a slog (though their pace picks up a little at the end), but I enjoyed the ability acquisition stuff and the world map is the best in the series.

As to VI, I'm guessing you've already beat yourself up enough over the loss of Shadow, so my only no-spoilers clues on where you should go next are the following:
(Your having the airship is assumed)
1)There is a triangle island where you get attacked by a sandworm-type monster named "Zone Eater". Let it swallow your entire party.
2)There is a mountain range that looks kind of like a pentagon or star and has a small patch of grass in the middle of it. Take your airship there.

Wazzy

Banned

I can't really give advice on VI at the moment since I haven't played it in a long time however I will comment on IX:

The game does get better but I can understand not being as into it as the previous two. After VIII it was really hard to get into IX at first but the more I played the better the game got.

Now, the battles are still awful throughout the game with how slow they are and Trance is one of the most frustrating limit breaks so there will still be some negatives. The story is fairly good, the chibi art is not a favourite of mine but it's charming in it's own ways and there's a couple characters that are real standouts such as Vivi, Beatrix and Freya. The rest have their moments like Steiner improving a lot, Zidane is pretty fun and Garnet isn't too bad either. Quina and Amarant are useless.

I find it's pales in comparison to VII and VIII in the music, art and battle system department but that doesn't mean it's bad. It's got some great tracks and the backgrounds are beautiful.

I mean it really all boils down to personal taste and if you're not into the game or don't end up liking it there's nothing wrong with that.

And I need your advice:

Who do you have in your party right now? That will help me to tell you what you could do next.

In VI? Terra, Edgar, Sabin and Gau. Also I got Setzer, Cyan, Celes and Relm in the ship.

Okay, since you have Relm, you can go to the Tower of Fanatics (not the big tower in the middle of the map) and recruit Strago to your group. If you're so inclined, you can return to Thamasa and do Strago's little quest to hunt down Hidon. Otherwise, you could look for a formation of trees in a cross, the middle one has the house of Sabin's master, who teaches you Bum Rush. You can also try flying around the world until you find Doom Gaze and kill him since you get a good Esper...but your best bet is to find the mountains in the form of a star and land in the barren land in the middle since that will lead you to Locke.

Ohhhh oh, you should also try going to the opera and taking out the Dirt Dragon (it's dirty baby, yeah!) because once you beat all 8 dragons, you get another useful Esper...lesse, since you have Edgar, you could also go back to Figaro Castle and have it go underground, it'll run aground something and you can go in, fight some stuff and get another Esper, fight another one of the Dragons and even power up the Esper you just got!

Manu

Okay, since you have Relm, you can go to the Tower of Fanatics (not the big tower in the middle of the map) and recruit Strago to your group.

Is that where you're attacked by level 30 and 50 Magicks? Because I went there, climbed maybe 30 stories (maybe 5 scene transitions) and then I got two level 70 and one lvl 80 Magicks who promptly kicked my ass. It took me about 40 minutes to get there from the bottom so I said "fuck it" and quit. I haven't played the game since.

Is that where you're attacked by level 30 and 50 Magicks? Because I went there, climbed maybe 30 stories (maybe 5 scene transitions) and then I got two level 70 and one lvl 80 Magicks who promptly kicked my ass. It took me about 40 minutes to get there from the bottom so I said "fuck it" and quit. I haven't played the game since.

The Tower of Fanatics is basically a place where it makes a lot of sense to use the Moogle Charm. But Strago is at the base of it, so you don't need to worry about climbing the tower at all to get him.

Wazzy

Banned
Does anyone know what the best way to capture videos/pictures for ps1 games on the Vita is? Is their a tool and how expensive is it? How difficult is it to install?

Otherwise, shitty cellphone picks for the VII play through :(

Noi

Does anyone know what the best way to capture videos/pictures for ps1 games on the Vita is? Is their a tool and how expensive is it? How difficult is it to install?

Otherwise, shitty cellphone picks for the VII play through :(

The "tool" is buying a modded Vita with HDMI out. $450.

Sony pls

You will definitely want to get Locke before you go up there because the boss will probably destroy you unless you have Life 3 but you can still get Strago at the base and come back another day.

That reminds me, be on the lookout for a dinosaur shaped forest, you will encounter some of the strongest enemies in the game there and it's a great place for leveling if you have the Experience Egg and if you luck out, you could get the best accessory in the game there...maybe. The drop rates for the Economizer are awful, I spent days and days and days there and only got one drop.

You will definitely want to get Locke before you go up there because the boss will probably destroy you unless you have Life 3 but you can still get Strago at the base and come back another day.

That reminds me, be on the lookout for a dinosaur shaped forest, you will encounter some of the strongest enemies in the game there and it's a great place for leveling if you have the Experience Egg and if you luck out, you could get the best accessory in the game there...maybe. The drop rates for the Economizer are awful, I spent days and days and days there and only got one drop.

Use the summon you get on the beach of the island where Celes woke up (you can go get it after obtaining the airship) - I think it's called Palidor.

It makes your whole party do a Jump attack, so basically just keep scanning the boss at the top of the tower (MagiMaster) until it has very little health left, then have someone summon Palidor. It's a good way to get the Gem Box way earlier in the game than is required to brute force the boss or complete the Phoenix Cave.

Use the summon you get on the beach of the island where Celes woke up (you can go get it after obtaining the airship) - I think it's called Palidor.

It makes your whole party do a Jump attack, so basically just keep scanning the boss at the top of the tower (MagiMaster) until it has very little health left, then have someone summon Palidor. It's a good way to get the Gem Box way earlier in the game than is required to brute force the boss or complete the Phoenix Cave.

I forgot about that strategy but yesh, that's also a good tactic to use!

EDIT: Just tried out FF7 on my PS2...so it appears KoTR only lags like hell on the PS3, good to know.

CorvoSol

Pretty disappointing because I actually ended up liking XIII alright after finishing it.

Lightning's design is one of the only things I like so far.

Here are the pros of XIII-2

1)Jumping
2)Moogle Chuckin'
3)If you make Serah say the stupidest thing every. single. time.
4)Noel.
5)Kain Highwind, in case you missed him back in FF4.
6)DLC matches are at least funny.

Here are the negatives:
EVERYTHING ELSE
But broken down:
1)The plot
2)The ending
3)Faces on anyone who isn't a major character
4)That damn platforming level
5)Even if you liked Lightning, her entire character was removed in this game. Basically a different woman.
6)The plot
7)If I mention the plot more than once that is a TIME PARADOX
8)Hot Chocolina on Sazh action
9)EVERYTHING ELSE

Noi

You forgot to mention the semi-deep monster raising/infusion sub-system that XIII-2 doesn't go into detail in explaining and doesn't really need to be used at all!*

Unless you pay SE for DLC, of course.

Here are the pros of XIII-2

1)Jumping
2)Moogle Chuckin'
3)If you make Serah say the stupidest thing every. single. time.
4)Noel.
5)Kain Highwind, in case you missed him back in FF4.
6)DLC matches are at least funny.

Here are the negatives:
EVERYTHING ELSE
But broken down:
1)The plot
2)The ending
3)Faces on anyone who isn't a major character
4)That damn platforming level
5)Even if you liked Lightning, her entire character was removed in this game. Basically a different woman.
6)The plot
7)If I mention the plot more than once that is a TIME PARADOX
8)Hot Chocolina on Sazh action
9)EVERYTHING ELSE
I agree I kinda liked her in XIII, so far she is really boring here. Like she reverted to actually being worse than she was at the start of XIII.

spoiled myself on the Chocolina thing,
Its really weird but I kinda like it

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
XIII-2 is a rollercoaster, especially if you farm.
Past the "Collect the cores", it shines, imho.

XIII-2 is a weird, weird game. It's better than XIII in a lot of ways, I think, but the monster collection stuff is sort of a poor idea IMO (and it also makes the Stagger gauge *so* much less important than it was in XIII - you can get through the majority of the game just using heavy, heavy Commando stuff and killing most enemies before you ever actually Stagger them).

I enjoyed the general structure of it more than I enjoyed the structure in XIII (which was so restrictive), but it felt way, way less balanced and polished too.

Top Bottom