• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Wazzy

Banned
Right, I get that all 3 are Ultimecia, but having her split between Edea's sweet look and Adel's cred kinda dulls her effect. Also, I only beat FF8 awhile ago, but I just kinda feel like Ultimecia's Time Compression gets played up and her "I'm doing this to avoid being slaughtered" side of it doesn't come out enough. Her motive isn't as clearly defined as it should be.

Really? She says it all at the end of disc 1 with her speech in Deling.

Edea
"...Lowlifes."
"...Shameless filthy wretches."
"How you celebrate my ascension with such joy."
"Hailing the very one whom you have condemned for generations."
"Have you no shame?"
"What happened to the evil, ruthless sorceress from your fantasies?"
"The cold-blooded tyrant that slaughtered countless men and destroyed many
nations?"
"Where is she now?"
"She stands before your very eyes to become your new ruler. HAHAHAHAHA."

There's also her little bit's of dialogue before and during your fight with her where we see her hatred and bitterness towards SeeD:

Sorceress Edea
"...A SeeD."
"...Planted in a run-down Garden.

Edea
"...The accursed SeeD."

Edea
"Impudent SeeDs!"

Then we also have her saying in disc three that she knows about the SeeD that is supposed to kill her:

Edea:
"So the time has come. You're the legendary SeeD destined to
face me?"

Her ending isn't even her just being destroyed, it's her passing on her powers so she can die peacefully.

I won't act like they couldn't have developed her more and given us a look into her life and her experience growing up knowing she was going to be murdered but I don't think she was a villain that had no motives and appeared from nowhere like Necron.

Dark Oni

Well, at least Ultimecia looked awesome as a final boss, never mind the characterization.

FF8_Ultimecia_Final.png

By the way, did anyone notice that her "tail" is a person who's probably Ultimecia?

wow never noticed that tail was a person O_O

CorvoSol

I won't act like they couldn't have developed her more and given us a look into her life and her experience growing up knowing she was going to be murdered but I don't think she was a villain that had no motives and appeared from nowhere like Necron.

Well I certainly agree with that, but I don't think the speech is very clear at all. Especially since the player thinks that's Edea at the time, but moreover because the speech implies more that Edea/Ultimecia is hated for generations because of Adel, rather than Ultimecia herself.

It just isn't as clear as say, Golbez or ExDeath or Kuja's goals are.

I have to agree...it'd make more sense for Edea to be hated for what Adel did than what Ultemecia did. Adel's reign wasn't even that long ago either!

Wazzy

Banned
Well I certainly agree with that, but I don't think the speech is very clear at all. Especially since the player thinks that's Edea at the time, but moreover because the speech implies more that Edea/Ultimecia is hated for generations because of Adel, rather than Ultimecia herself.

It just isn't as clear as say, Golbez or ExDeath or Kuja's goals are.

Yeah but it's on the player to go back and realize it's not Edea speaking but Ultimecia. Especially by disc three when Edea says she was being controlled.

It's actually a combination of both that people hate Ultimecia. Obviously Adel played a huge part in the fear of sorceresses but Ultimecia's death was written before she was even born. It's why there's the whole legendary SeeD fiasco and the time loop. The question is, who started the loop and why was she the one dragged into it?

On the topic of Ultimecia:

I just saw this and I feel like I just did some hardcore acid.

Wazzy

Banned
I noticed it the first time through. Especially evident if you used Libra.

Same. One thing that took me a couple playthroughs to hear/notice was Ultimecia laughing when you first fight her. I just thought she had a monster roar but you can actually hear a faint laugh. It was pretty creepy.

Same. One thing that took me a couple playthroughs to hear/notice was Ultimecia laughing when you first fight her. I just thought she had a monster roar but you can actually hear a faint laugh. It was pretty creepy.

That entire battle was just overall creepy...freaked me out after awhile

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
GILGAMESH was badass in this game they way he was programmed. He could bypass Ultimecia's seals and pop in battles with any enemy including the Seal bosses.

He even landed the finishing blow on Ultimecia's first form. In my game.

But that was years ago.

CorvoSol

Ironic considering his main command is Steal...has there ever been a straight thief in Final Fantasy? We might as well just stick the word Honorable in front of the title for every thief...

Belle in The Crystal Bearers is a thief. With sexy Selkieness going on and also Laura Bailey's voice.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yeah even Jecht looked lame. And that music, oh my freakin ears. Ick.

I did really like the yu yevon battle though, even if doing it on a giant sword didn't make much sense. Great music too.

The true final boss was when Yuna was fighting her Aeons and that awesome OST was playing and Yuna was crying.

It's a spin off of a spin off so, no, not like, at all.

Ahhhh...well let's replace II with it...=P

That artbook reminds me the time I skipped out on the Final Fantasy 9 art book when it first came out...boy did I regret that for yeaaaars. I may have to keep an eye on this one...some of that older art has helped serve as inspiration for my writing...stuff is liquid gold!

BFA should have had more hp at least...or maybe it went too easy because all three of my characters had their celestial weapons already (Tidus, Yuna and Rikku) but I STILL maintain that darn fight went too quick...he needed a ton ton more hp to seem more of a threat...I get a boss that resembles that awesome first form of the final boss fight in FF6 but then he goes down so fast....whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

FFX, because it's probably the FF game in which your power scales the most ridiculously above the challenge of the final boss (yes, you can make all of them a cakewalk, but maxed-stats parties vs. BFA is an utter joke), should have had something akin to Star Ocean 2's Unlimited Indalecio.

Basically, clear the Monster Arena or beat Penance or whatever, and automatically BFA is turned into a hard-as-hell boss that can stand up to an extremely powerful party.

FFX, because it's probably the FF game in which your power scales the most ridiculously above the challenge of the final boss (yes, you can make all of them a cakewalk, but maxed-stats parties vs. BFA is an utter joke), should have had something akin to Star Ocean 2's Unlimited Indalecio.

Basically, clear the Monster Arena or beat Penance or whatever, and automatically BFA is turned into a hard-as-hell boss that can stand up to an extremely powerful party.

I'd kill for BFA to be Unlimited Indalecio level hard, that guy was brutal on even regular difficulty with that stupid Divine Wave attack (seriously that attack is some BS)...so I'm totally on board with something like this...just provide me with a challenge FFX!

darnit, bad memories flooding back from that stupid fight with Indalecio...seriously, screw that guy and his Divine Wave attack (Parry can still be overcome by it)

finished 7 for the first time. fantastic game.

everything after Tifa
rescues Cloud
from the Lifestream seems a bit rushed and the game itself comes across as incomplete.

would love a re-made version, make it cartoonish like Kingdom Hearts, i would buy it in a heartbeat.

I'd kill for BFA to be Unlimited Indalecio level hard, that guy was brutal on even regular difficulty with that stupid Divine Wave attack (seriously that attack is some BS)...so I'm totally on board with something like this...just provide me with a challenge FFX!

darnit, bad memories flooding back from that stupid fight with Indalecio...seriously, screw that guy and his Divine Wave attack (Parry can still be overcome by it)

I think the only comparably too-easy-with-very-powerful-party final boss might be Level 97 Safer Sephiroth in Final Fantasy 7 (having Cloud at level 98 doubles his HP and level 99 triples it). He can be defeated with a single full-damage Omnislash attack, IIRC.

Wazzy

Banned
finished 7 for the first time. fantastic game.

everything after Tifa
rescues Cloud
from the Lifestream seems a bit rushed and the game itself comes across as incomplete.

would love a re-made version, make it cartoonish like Kingdom Hearts, i would buy it in a heartbeat.

How come? I'm actually not a fan of Tifa but I thought that was her biggest redeeming moment in the game and I didn't find it rushed at all. I mean, it wasn't enough for me to find her interesting but at least she did something benificial for Cloud's health.

I think the only comparably too-easy-with-very-powerful-party final boss might be Level 97 Safer Sephiroth in Final Fantasy 7 (having Cloud at level 98 doubles his HP and level 99 triples it). He can be defeated with a single full-damage Omnislash attack, IIRC.

These are the kind of games that could get away with the enemies having over 10 million hp easily.

Natetan

How come? I'm actually not a fan of Tifa but I thought that was her biggest redeeming moment in the game and I didn't find it rushed at all. I mean, it wasn't enough for me to find her interesting but at least she did something benificial for Cloud's health.

Yeah I don't like tifa either. I never use her or Aeris for that matter.

i think he means all the events AFTER that .... not the event featuring tifa.

It's true that after this event you're almost at the end game and there isn't a lot to do( in terms of story ).

Wazzy

Banned
Yeah I don't like tifa either. I never use her or Aeris for that matter.
Same. If Aeris had lasted longer I might have used her for her cheap ass limit break but even then, that would mean giving up my beloved party of Cloud, Cid and Red XIII.

It's true that after this event you're almost at the end game and there isn't a lot to do( in terms of story ).
Ahh okay I understand now. From what I recall, I have to agree there wasn't much to do.

Natetan

Same. If Aeris had lasted longer I might have used her for her cheap ass limit break but even then, that would mean giving up my beloved party of Cloud, Cid and

I use Barrett and then yuffie once I get her. Give cloud the long range materia and you're whole party can be in the back row.

Once I get Vincent I give him the sniper gun with the deathblow materia and added effect of mini/frog and then later the added cut materia linked to deathblow. He's a beast. I don't give him a new weapon after that basically because none of his (or anyone's) weapons have a high enough accuracy to make deathblow hit every time.

Once I get yuffies best weapon I switch her back in with the morph materia. She's also amazing.

I also love cid. He's awesome. And has a triple growth weapon.

I liked to use Aeris, mainly as my magic person but once she bit the dust, I remember replacing her with Cid. I'm pretty fond of all of the cast of 7 but I like Yuffie the most, even if she caused you the most trouble...never used poor Vincent though, just left him in the coffin to sleep for all eternity.

yep.

the fall of Shinra is lazy as hell. i'm pretty sure it's faster to complete the "parachute into Midgar/head to the Northern Crater" sequence than your first visit to Gold Saucer.

i did dig the implied sexual action between Cloud and Tifa. very "modern" for a 90s RPG.

and i say incomplete cause after doing some Google-fu, there was a ton of stuff added to the NA release that wasn't present in the original JP game. many people seems to believe a good chunk of the game was cut.

Top Bottom