• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Natetan

I liked to use Aeris, mainly as my magic person but once she bit the dust, I remember replacing her with Cid. I'm pretty fond of all of the cast of 7 but I like Yuffie the most, even if she caused you the most trouble...never used poor Vincent though, just left him in the coffin to sleep for all eternity.

I find that I never use magic other than in Midgar, and that's only because i dont have the enemy skills/materia yet. Beta wipes the floor of everything, Mantra magic is a great hit all attack for the early part of the game while only requiring one slot (and can hit all more than once unlike a low level all materia). Lv 4 suicide works on a suprising amount of enemies and bosses too. I guess I use cure a little until i get white wind. White wind also removes all status effects so you dont need esuna or whatever. I generally use phoenix downs to raise anyone who dies in my team. You get a ton of those and x-potions on the way to wutai.

I realized after my last playthrough, I didnt use any of the summons except for choco mog a few times early on. The only one that got any AP really was that and Hades because it was linked to added effect.

Purple materia are the bestest.

I find that I never use magic other than in Midgar, and that's only because i dont have the enemy skills/materia yet. Beta wipes the floor of everything, Mantra magic is a great hit all attack for the early part of the game while only requiring one slot (and can hit all more than once unlike a low level all materia). Lv 4 suicide works on a suprising amount of enemies and bosses too. I guess I use cure a little until i get white wind. White wind also removes all status effects so you dont need esuna or whatever. I generally use phoenix downs to raise anyone who dies in my team. You get a ton of those and x-potions on the way to wutai.

I realized after my last playthrough, I didnt use any of the summons except for choco mog a few times early on. The only one that got any AP really was that and Hades because it was linked to added effect.

Purple materia are the bestest.

Yeah...I use magic but that Blue Magic is just too crazy good...I found myself relying on it for most of the game and nothing else. Only summon I really used was Neo Bahamut...KotR was nice but I got tired of using it after the first summon, too long of an animation lol

I use Barrett and then yuffie once I get her. Give cloud the long range materia and you're whole party can be in the back row.

Once I get Vincent I give him the sniper gun with the deathblow materia and added effect of mini/frog and then later the added cut materia linked to deathblow. He's a beast. I don't give him a new weapon after that basically because none of his (or anyone's) weapons have a high enough accuracy to make deathblow hit every time.

Once I get yuffies best weapon I switch her back in with the morph materia. She's also amazing.

I also love cid. He's awesome. And has a triple growth weapon.

God, stop making me want to replay the game. The Materia system may not have much personality, but it's probably the most exploitable FF ability system outside of FFT's version of the Job System.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
So apparently they started a Kickstarter for that Final Fantasy VII (unofficial) web series/movie

Looks awful to me...am I an awful person for wanting SE to shut it down? lol :\
lol this is dreadful.

edit:

Speaking of FF7, I always loved materia. Crystallized world energy that can be used to manipulate nature; humans in a contemporary setting find a way to exploit this otherwise rare occurrence, accelerating the process by synthesizing that energy in factories. The variety of uses include placing the crystals on equipment, enhancing abilities and making everyone a potential magic user as long as they're capable of channeling those manifestations. Love it!

My mind was blown at how cool everything was when I first played FF7 back then, it was the first game I played that had such a rich modern fantasy world. To this day it's still my favorite FF magic system both conceptually and mechanically, even though it runs into the "every character plays the same" problem. I also dig how some weapons had holes for inserting materia, it doesn't extend to all of them but it was nice attention to detail (not even sure if that's the intent but it's how I interpret them).

zLIcw7h.jpg

Noi

Last time I played FF7, I did a No Materia run using Yuffie and Cid. I was pretty much under-leveled for most of the game as well, which unexpectedly ended up being a boon at endgame. When equipped with the Conformer, Yuffie's Doom of the Living was essentially an even better version of Omnislash, since I could use it at any time and deal quad-9 damage on every hit, which would otherwise require needing full health on Ultima Weapon. I pretty much destroyed all the late game bosses with her while Cloud used healing items.

Cid also came in handy cause Venus Gospel is the MP-version of Ultima Weapon, and I was pretty much always at 100% MP.

Wazzy

Banned
Group replay for Final Fantasy 7 people??

I'd be down. I just need to decide if I should do Vita or PC. My original save got deleted on my vita so I'm leaning towards that but PC...mods...mods everywah.

Once VII is done I demand an VIII replay, preferably when it's pc version get's released.

Wazzy

Banned
I'll pay for them not to make it.

Seriously. Like, I get that VII is extremely popular but of all Final Fantasy games to make a web series on, they pick the anime styled one that has a party member who will have to be done in complete CG? I can already picture how stupid Cloud would look. VI, VIII and X would probably work much better though I still wouldn't want any of those happening.

rataven

Group replay for Final Fantasy 7 people??

I'd be all over this! After watching the speed run WR attempt last night, I've been thinking of starting up a new game anyway. I can't even imagine charging through the game in eight hours. My playtime's usually max out at 99:59 since I tend to do just about everything.

If they ever do a remake, I'd love if they expanded the battle party to four members. Mostly so I could use my Cloud/Tifa/Cid/Yuffie dream team. As it is I usually sub Tifa out when Yuffie picks up the Conformer, and then let the girl go to work. Yuffie is such a beast.

I'm already working on trying to get a Gold Chocobo on Disc 2, so by the time I'm done you guys should all be caught up (yes i know about that RNG method but I never liked those methods in any game).

Make sure to get Beta ASAP, folks!

Wazzy

Banned
So we keeping the group playthrough confined to this thread or did someone want to make a Let's Play? I know VII ones have been made a couple times before so It might be better to just keep it in this thread.

Also when would we be starting?

Wazzy

Banned
Get ready for incorruptibly pure Aerith!

I can picture it now.

Cloud: The silent loner who doens't want friends but wields a giant cool sword 'yo.

Tifa: The strong female character who is tough and stuff and like..don't need no man, except for that hunk Cloud but like she don't need him either!

Aerith: The pure and innocent church girl who needs saving

Barrett: @$@!$%^$@$@#$%@#$%^

I think the first three would be the worst.

Korigama

lol this is dreadful.

edit:

Speaking of FF7, I always loved materia. Crystallized world energy that can be used to manipulate nature; humans in a contemporary setting find a way to exploit this otherwise rare occurrence, accelerating the process by synthesizing that energy in factories. The variety of uses include placing the crystals on equipment, enhancing abilities and making everyone a potential magic user as long as they're capable of channeling those manifestations. Love it!

My mind was blown at how cool everything was when I first played FF7 back then, it was the first game I played that had such a rich modern fantasy world. To this day it's still my favorite FF magic system both conceptually and mechanically, even though it runs into the "every character plays the same" problem. I also dig how some weapons had holes for inserting materia, it doesn't extend to all of them but it was nice attention to detail (not even sure if that's the intent but it's how I interpret them).

zLIcw7h.jpg
Can't unsee a face on the third one.

rataven

FF7 looks not so good on my HDTV so I'll just wheel out my CRT nearby so I can play it.

Forgot about this. I game on a plasma, so I definitely don't want to risk the sidebar image retention.

Vita it is then! VII will actually be the first game I play on it. Great game to break it in with.

I am so upset with what they did to Aerith's characterization after the first game.

The whole point of Aerith was that she WASN'T the sickeningly pure girl.

She grew up in the slums, she was street smart and capable.

Godammit.

CorvoSol

I am so upset with what they did to Aerith's characterization after the first game.

Godammit.

Don't blame Square. Blame Yourself or Kingdomhearts.

So we keeping the group playthrough confined to this thread or did someone want to make a Let's Play? I know VII ones have been made a couple times before so It might be better to just keep it in this thread.

Also when would we be starting?

I think we could keep it confined to this thread, otherwise people may get too annoyed with a lot of FF7 stuff.

As for when to start...perhaps this weekend? like starting on Friday?

Wazzy

Banned

Godammit.
Yeah Aerith and Cloud both got really weirdly misrepresented in later games as being pure and emo.

Don't blame Square. Blame Yourself or Kingdomhearts.
Advent Children too. I like your Tactics reference.
I think we could keep it confined to this thread, otherwise people may get too annoyed with a lot of FF7 stuff.

As for when to start...perhaps this weekend? like starting on Friday?
I'm down to start Friday.

Natetan

I don't understand the materia makes everyone the same argument. Unless you have master materia it's hard even to make the same player with the same abilities once. I like that magic is limited to whatever you equip and you can't get a ton of spells. Although enemy skill negates this...

I found that you really never need to buy new weapons armor in the game. The game is easy enough you don't need the best one at that moment. You find a lot of good weapons. For cloud I just go hard edge to his double growth weapon you pick up in mt nibel.

I should try a no materia challenge.

I live equipping cover materia with counter. Every time your party gets hit you counter with one person. It's fun! Give them hp plus and you're golden.

rataven

I'm good for starting Friday.

So in the spirit of the replay, have some pretty art!

Sector 5 Slums
bSFcIe3.jpg

Mythril Mine
ADQrouU.jpg

Nibelheim Reactor
jSREQfS.jpg

Wall Market
7BxBkQy.jpg

Train Graveyard
qGExNan.jpg

Marshland
0EiwBhk.jpg

The Midgar Zolom
nqu4T9z.jpg

Outside Midgar
8tUbSJW.jpg

By Jordan Grimmer (higher res versions found here). And his DeviantART.

I love seeing different takes on the world and atmosphere of VII.

CorvoSol

If you're on Disc 4 it's too late now because Esto Gaza is blocked off but before that happened, you could buy a weapon called the Hamelin and it'd let Eiko learn Jewel, which allows her to extract ore from an enemy.

Yeah, somehow I missed like, EVERYTHING in Esto Gaza, and I'm not happy about it.

Yeah, somehow I missed like, EVERYTHING in Esto Gaza, and I'm not happy about it.

Yea, it's kind of stupid how that one little plot point makes it so a lot of locations in Gaia just get magically sealed off for no decent reason...especially because there is some useful stuff in Esto Gaza...and the music is good but I digress...

You can steal ore from these enemies at least: Abomination, Agares, Anemone, Armodullahan, Armstrong, Axe Beak, Bomb, Carve Spider, Cerberus, Core, Clipper, Dendrobium, Feather Circle, Flan, Garuda, Ghost, Gigan Toad (A), Goblin Mage, Grenade, Griffin, Grimlock Red, Hedgehog Pie, Jabberwock, Land Worm, Lamia, Lich (Crystal), Lizard Man, Malboro, Mistodon (A), Mistodon (B), Nymph, Plant Spider, Python, Sand Scorpion, Skeleton, Trick Sparrow, Troll, Type B, Wraith (Blue), Wraith (Red), Yan, Yeti, Zaghnol, Zemzelett, Zuu

CorvoSol

Yea, it's kind of stupid how that one little plot point makes it so a lot of locations in Gaia just get magically sealed off for no decent reason...especially because there is some useful stuff in Esto Gaza...and the music is good but I digress...

You can steal ore from these enemies at least: Abomination, Agares, Anemone, Armodullahan, Armstrong, Axe Beak, Bomb, Carve Spider, Cerberus, Core, Clipper, Dendrobium, Feather Circle, Flan, Garuda, Ghost, Gigan Toad (A), Goblin Mage, Grenade, Griffin, Grimlock Red, Hedgehog Pie, Jabberwock, Land Worm, Lamia, Lich (Crystal), Lizard Man, Malboro, Mistodon (A), Mistodon (B), Nymph, Plant Spider, Python, Sand Scorpion, Skeleton, Trick Sparrow, Troll, Type B, Wraith (Blue), Wraith (Red), Yan, Yeti, Zaghnol, Zemzelett, Zuu

Bombs, good, those're easy enough to find.

It's less about the plot point than, I think, saving disc space for endgame FMVs. Same thing happens with FF8 disc 4.

Wazzy

Banned
well, i'm about to start VIII. anything i should know (aside from a guide for obscure sidequests)?

Explore, read and talk to everything. There's tons of hidden secrets and information and it really add's life to the game. Example, the terminals in the classrooms at the beginning house tons of information. Get Card mod and refine your cards into items and magic. You can get large amounts of HP very early in the game by refining tents into Curaga's. Obviously have fun playing lot's of triple triad. If you want decent AP at the beginning, go to the beach and fight the orange/yellow fish called Fastitocolan.

If you're looking for a challange rather than a fun broken playthrough, set up your character's as if they had jobs. You can make Squall your warrior, Zell monk, Rinoa black or white mage, etc.

Enjoy. The game is a blast.

8's 4th disc is a darn tragedy...sealing off nearly everything was just...ugh...and it made the whole world feel like a more depressing place

Yeah it was the biggest disappointment for me. The other being Seifer, Raijin and Fuujin not being playable, especially Seifer.

jaxword

I'm good for starting Friday.

So in the spirit of the replay, have some pretty art!

I love seeing different takes on the world and atmosphere of VII.

Those are incredible.

I'm sure this image has been posted/discussed before but can someone tell me if Squall is holding a gun? I would have loved this as official boxart.

That's a gun all right. Where's the image from? Looks like Final Fantasy met Sin City.

Wazzy

Banned
That's a gun all right. Where's the image from? Looks like Final Fantasy met Sin City.

FF wiki.

I'm thinking it might be a part of the Art of Final Fantasy book but I'm not a 100% sure. It caught my eye because of how different yet good it looked. There's actually more like that one but I think that one is the best. Interesting that Squall's holding a gun.

Explore, read and talk to everything. There's tons of hidden secrets and information and it really add's life to the game. Example, the terminals in the classrooms at the beginning house tons of information. Get Card mod and refine your cards into items and magic. You can get large amounts of HP very early in the game by refining tents into Curaga's. Obviously have fun playing lot's of triple triad. If you want decent AP at the beginning, go to the beach and fight the orange/yellow fish called Fastitocolan.

If you're looking for a challange rather than a fun broken playthrough, set up your character's as if they had jobs. You can make Squall your warrior, Zell monk, Rinoa black or white mage, etc.

Enjoy. The game is a blast.

Yeah it was the biggest disappointment for me. The other being Seifer, Raijin and Fuujin not being playable, especially Seifer.

I would be up for more playable Seifer, I liked him as a character...at times. Dude could have tried harder to romance Rinoa so I wouldn't be stuck with her...ugh

MechaX

8's 4th disc is a darn tragedy...sealing off nearly everything was just...ugh...and it made the whole world feel like a more depressing place

Yeah, Disc 4 of FF8 was just bizarre.

Like, every single town is magically shut off, but for some reason, almost every remaining SeeD member decided to bunker in the airship and play Triple Triad forever. Okay.

Natetan

That's Orlandu on the left.

where's his beard?

You know people say that FFXII story turns into a mess, but I do kind of like the issues the game raises. How does one react to unjust actions taken against you? I mean maybe it was sort of a false dichotomy.

Plus I liked that the gods had their own agenda that wasn't necessarily to the benefit of the people. It's such a video game trope that 'the gods' you seek out will grant you some power to overcome your enemy.

I also really liked Vayne as a villan. How he was able to deliver such terrible things with such subtle language. He was always calm. I guess I don't understand why he was evil other than trying to take over the neighboring kingdoms. I guess he wanted to become a god himself, but i'm not sure if that was his original plan.

Wazzy

Banned
I would be up for more playable Seifer, I liked him as a character...at times. Dude could have tried harder to romance Rinoa so I wouldn't be stuck with her...ugh
I loved him and didn't understand why his character arc was dropped at the end. He should have had his redemption by joining up with the party to defeat Ultimecia. I liked Rinoa so I didn't want them together :p I actually thought Quistis and Seifer would have been an interesting pairing. I think there's a few part's that imply Seifer might have had something for her.
Yeah, Disc 4 of FF8 was just bizarre.

Like, every single town is magically shut off, but for some reason, almost every remaining SeeD member decided to bunker in the airship and play Triple Triad forever. Okay.
IIRC it was because of budget issues. Another big reason I want a remake is to see them open those area's up. I would love to see how each town was affected by Ultimecia's rule.

where's his beard?

Look closer. It's there. Took me a second.

CorvoSol

I thought you're a pile of bones already because of FFIX. :T

X is the last one, aside from playing I in the near future. I promised my brother I'd play it again this summer. Definitely suffering some FF Fatigue, though. I need need need a break from the series. That said, I really like FFIX, in spite of how much I whined and cried my way through it. The game's presentation is top notch and I'll admit the final dungeon was fun, if linear. It's just that the battle system can be reaaally slow and the fights a bit unfair due to that. And that Chocobo Hot and Cold is a terrible minigame.

Other than that, though, I really like FF9. Ability system ain't half bad. If I was less burnt out on the series I probably would've spent a lot longer doing sidequests and stuff, too.

Top Bottom