• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Wazzy

Banned
I used to accept the Rinoa is Ultemecia but that crack theory doesn't hold up now...heh. I always wondered why there wasn't a male equivalent to the sorceress.
It could be that male sorcerers don't exist in VIII's world since it seems a lot of the females are the only ones with these powers(Ellone, Rinoa, Edea, etc) however it could also just be that no sorceress has passed their powers onto a man.

It would be interesting to see how they would handle a male sorcerer and his female knight.

Wow I just discovered that Sephiroth's english voice actor was Superman in JL & JLU.
I knew he sounded familiar at times but mind blown.

can't believe I hadn't seen that before.

It could be that male sorcerers don't exist in VIII's world since it seems a lot of the females are the only ones with these powers(Ellone, Rinoa, Edea, etc) however it could also just be that no sorceress has passed their powers onto a man.

It would be interesting to see how they would handle a male sorcerer and his female knight.

I would like to see them try it too...like what would happen if the sorceress was forced to give her powers to a guy for once.

Wazzy

Banned
So I fought a boss in the sewers and won. The group decides to head back up to prevent the falling of the plate. We still have time however Jessie, Biggs and Wedge are severely injured. We go to the top and find Barret who is trying to stop Shinra. Reno set's the explosion and begins a fight to stall and stop us. Finally he bails and jumps off the tower and leaves me wondering how the hell he would survive that. A Shinra helicopter comes by and we see Aeris has been kidnapped while helping out Marlene. The plate crashes and we just barely escape.

We find out Marlene is safe so we head to Shinra to save Aeris. We climb the never ending stairs and listen to Tifa and Barret bicker back and forth while, to quote Tifa, Barret acts like a retard. Finally we reach the top and do a game of avoid the soldiers. Thankfully I do with no problems. We follow Hojo and see some orange dog in a cage. Cloud notices something and walks over to look inside a capsule only to see some creepy headless women. Barret don cur tho so we leave to go rescue Aeris. We see Hojo's trying to breed her and the dog because he is into some nasty kinky shit. We disrupt the beastiality party and free the dog and Aeris. The breeding area is actually a monster so I'm forced to fight it.

Easy win. The dog/lion speaks and says his name is Red XIII and he decides to join us. We decide to split so our escape is easier. I send Tifa and Aeris off to fight together while I take Barret and Red XIII. We enter the elevator only to be followed by a bald Turk. Looks like we've been captured. They take us to the president who is a major asshole. After some talk about the promised land and some other gibberish involving Aeris, they take us to the cell's and lock us up until they decide what to do with us.

I take a nap but when I awake the door is unlocked. I go inspect and see a soldier dead. We free everyone and go search the building for who might have done this but it seems everyone else is dead too. We go to where that headless women was that went by the name Jenova and see her body is missing as if someone stole it. The body left a bloody trail so I decide to follow it. My journey of following her period stains takes me all the way up to the presidents office where I see he's been murdered. Apparently the killer was Sephiroth. We see a helicopter stop by and we meet Rufus, the presidents son. We split up with myself staying to fight Rufus while the rest escape. Tifa waits behind for me and the other three go off and fight an elevator boss who is an asshole because I can't reach him unless I use Barret, limit breaks or magic.

After beating that I switch back to myself and I fight Rufus. He flee's and then I meet up with Tifa and we escape. I'm on a motorcycle and I have to protect the vehicle my crew is in from the shinra soldiers pursuing us. I'm doing a pretty shitty job but finally we reach the end and I have to fight a giant machine. We beat it and decide to leave Midgar. I pick Red XIII and Barret which seems to get weird reactions out of Aeris and Tifa. It's why I didn't pick you assholes in the first place.

It's weird how I'm trying to keep my writeup as short and simple as possible and yet they always end up so long. Probably because I'm beating too many parts and then including them all in my writeup. Prob's gonna stop and just write a short summary of where I am.

So back to our daily romp through the mechanical waste that is Midgar...

Questions I ask myself...just how does a scrawny guy like Cloud carry such a huge meat cleaver? Will we get an explanation? Or will they just BS us something stupid?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait, hold the phone, Barret plans to blow this reactor up? I'm not much on science anymore but that sounds like it has the potential to royally screw stuff up...who thinks up these plans?

Some weird voice says this isn't just a reactor...so then what is it weird voice? Annnnnnnnnd now we get introduced to what can be described as Scorpitar...awesome music starts up...

And this boys and girls is why every fantasy weapon should be made of admantanium, I bet Cloud could slice the tail of Scorpitar right off and we wouldn't have to...wait around for it's stupid tail to go back down.

For some reason as soon as I saw Barret's LIMIT BREAK, Billy Joel's 'Big Shot' started to play in my head...

Because you had to be a big shot, didn't you
You had to open up your mouth
You had to be a big shot, didn't you
All your friends were so knocked out
You had to have the last word, last night
You know what everything's about
You had to have a white hot spotlight
You had to be a big shot last night

But I digress...and BOOOOOM goes the Reactor...so this is what it feels like to be an eco terrorist, mumsy would be proud

Hmmm 'Flower Girl'...I wonder how important to the plot she is? The change in music tells me she will be very important...I think...or is that just the sugar talking?

What kind of company has armed soldiers? What in the world is going on here? Do I want to know?

BBD with that black ANNNNGER in his veins...again, will someone tell this guy to chill? Fool asks about his money and BBD responds with that RIGHTEOUS anger...

Ya know, maybe it's just me but I think this Jessie broad is fond of Cloud...just a thought. Anyways...ATTACK...just kidding!

BBD acts as the big and bad bouncer, chasing everyone out with his gun...this guy...has some anger issues

We finally meet the kind and...kind Tifa. So now we have love interest number three...Cloud is racking up quite the list and the game has barely started!

Anyways Cloud and Barret fight...just get used to this folks. Tifa tries in vein to get Cloud to join but her methods...are veway weaaaaaaaak...oh wait she uses the childhood friend excuse! Ahhhhhh mayne, no way Cloud can resist now...such a request can stop the toughest, meanest, most bloodthirsty men right in their tracks.

blah blah blah childhood promise...Cloud wants to be like Sephiroth...Sephiroth...sounds like a friendly chap

Well it seems like Tifa's words did the job, spiky head is on board, long as he gets his money. I can respect dat

Wait, Marlene is watching the bar? A kid...is...no wonder this world is a hellhole, companies running cities, terrorists blowing up reactors and kids running bars in the slums...

Heropon

I've been playing some Final Fantasy VII lately because that stupid Vita content manager needed an internet connection. This time I've been paying more attention to the battle and growth systems thanks to having done multiple playthroughs of FFV for the Fiesta and the overall feeling I have is that all the potential the Materia system has is wasted by certain flaws in the game balance, monster's parameters and materia locations:

• With all the mechanical foes weak to Bolt at the start of the game, it makes players think that elemental weaknesses will be a relevant part of the battle system through the game. The sad truth is that elemental weaknesses aren't very common in this game apart from very few places (Midgar, Junon and the Gaea Cliffs). The exception to this is the Wind element, which curiously doesn't have a dedicated materia.
  • The last point coupled with a lack of raw damage makes the basic magic materia useless. I remember being excited when I was going to level up a materia for the first time to get my first Tier 2 magic and the result was bleh damage for an insulting 22 MP cost. Tier 3 is more reasonable but by the time one gets those spells better materia starts showering the player.
  • Enemy Skills stomp all over the basic magic materia. Starting with Matra magic, there is a series of enemy skills that do damage to all the enemies for a reasonable quantity of MP and they aren't even difficult to get! Trine from the Materia Keeper, Aqualung from Jenova and Magic Breath from the Stilva can be easily learned if the player has the materia equipped. Let's do some comparisons: Bolt2, 22MP and ugh damage versus Trine, 20MP and good damage to everyone without wasting another slot for the All materia. It wasn't a fair battle at all, but that's what happens when you want to get more MP than what you deserve.
  • The basic summons are garbage like their green counterparts. At least they don't waste an All materia to do meh damage to all the enemies.
  • Blue materia is pretty limited apart from multiple copies of All, which according to the prior points only serve paired with healing materia because basic elemental materia is useless.
  • Stat penalties in Magic materia look like a half-assed attempt at character specialization because they're negligible. Maybe a further decrease in strength and increase in magic could have done wonders in that respect.

Despite those flaws I love this game thanks to all the positive things that it offers, which are many, but I can't stop feeling that until the Demons Gate boss/getting the Bahamut materia the best thing to do in battle is just using the Attack command. The Added Effect, Choco/Mog, Manipulate, Enemy Skill, Deathblow and some status materias save that part of the game because everything else is pretty mediocre (in the battle department, of course).

Enemy Skills/Blue Magic is pretty much the best magic in the Final Fantasy series...V really taught me how useful it could be, I think you could pretty much beat any boss thanks to the great variety of Blue Magic.

Heropon

Enemy Skills/Blue Magic is pretty much the best magic in the Final Fantasy series...V really taught me how useful it could be, I think you could pretty much beat any boss thanks to the great variety of Blue Magic.

The problem in FFVII is more about "Black Magic" being shit than "Blue Magic" being overpowered. When a physical attack does more damage than an expensive spell something isn't working well.

CorvoSol

The problem in FFVII is more about "Black Magic" being shit than "Blue Magic" being overpowered. When a physical attack does more damage than an expensive spell something isn't working well.

Magic in general was also shit in T, though. In my last playthrough I used Black and White Mages only to unlock other classes, because magic was such shit compared to sword skills.

Indeed, never bothered with it myself.

Only ever concerned myself with command materia. Well besides Knights of the Round.

i quit FF8. such a boring game compared to 7.

i have no patience to draw magic. the alternative? grind the card game and mod the cards. no patience for that either.

i'm on the 2nd flashback and i said fuck it.

gonna try FF9 now.

Manu

i have no patience to draw magic. the alternative? grind the card game and mod the cards. no patience for that either.

gonna try FF9 now.

I did neither for more than half the game and had no problems at all.

Actually, I didn't play the card game at all since I didn't like it.

gonna try FF9 now.

To be fair, you can get by without even playing the card game. My first several playthroughs, I never did the card game, just modded the cards I earned, converted enemies to cards and made a note of the spots with the best draw points (Islands cloest to Heaven and Hell)

Manu

To be fair, you can get by without even playing the card game. My first several playthroughs, I never did the card game, just modded the cards I earned, converted enemies to cards and made a note of the spots with the best draw points (Islands cloest to Heaven and Hell)

Yup. Equip Diablos' Enc-None, go to Islands Closest to Heaven/Hell, draw everything without worrying about battles. Repeat a few times. Congratulations, you just broke the game.

jaxword

Hm? I didn't know that was originally planned.

Still would have loved a bigger relationship between him and Cloud. Then again, Red's my favourite so... :p

Well, that's not confirmed as the early details are all vague, but judging from the early Amano art which had Sephiroth looking very close to Aerith, the story was very very different at the start. I'm fairly certain Zack and Sephiroth were the same at one point before being split to separate storylines.

Natetan

Remember though that Blue magic takes a fair amount of effort to find. I dont think there is anywhere in the game that really explains how to find it or what enemies have it. And most players didnt have an faq to use back then. I'd say most people were wasting time with magic and all materia.

But yes, also white wind and mighty guard as well as magic hammer are the holy trinity of blue magic in ffvii. You never need to use tents or an inn if you have those, and white wind isnt affected by the mighty guard magic barrier. Hell i just use it to cast the equivalent of hastega. its worth it just for that.It's too bad magic hammer in FFV doesnt absorb the mp you drain like it does in FFVII. White wind also removes all status effects including slow! Such an amazing spell.

I never buy magic in FFT either. Usually ill get a level one elemental spell. I try and get a -ra spell from a leftover defeated enemy crystal and sometimes for a -ga spell too. I do the same for white magic and time magic spells too. I save up just to buy flare/holy/teleport

Remember though that Blue magic takes a fair amount of effort to find. I dont think there is anywhere in the game that really explains how to find it or what enemies have it. And most players didnt have an faq to use back then. I'd say most people were wasting time with magic and all materia.

But yes, also white wind and mighty guard as well as magic hammer are the holy trinity of blue magic in ffvii. You never need to use tents or an inn if you have those, and white wind isnt affected by the mighty guard magic barrier. Hell i just use it to cast the equivalent of hastega. its worth it just for that.It's too bad magic hammer in FFV doesnt absorb the mp you drain like it does in FFVII. White wind also removes all status effects including slow! Such an amazing spell.

I never buy magic in FFT either. Usually ill get a level one elemental spell. I try and get a -ra spell from a leftover defeated enemy crystal and sometimes for a -ga spell too. I do the same for white magic and time magic spells too. I save up just to buy flare/holy/teleport

You may not know but as long as you have the Enemy Skill Materia equipped always, it takes out a little of the guesswork, I discovered some Blue Magic I didn't even know I could learn that way...a little tougher in the other games where if you didn't have a Blue Mage or someone who had the Learning ability (V), sucks to be you

Natetan

You may not know but as long as you have the Enemy Skill Materia equipped always, it takes out a little of the guesswork, I discovered some Blue Magic I didn't even know I could learn that way...a little tougher in the other games where if you didn't have a Blue Mage or someone who had the Learning ability (V), sucks to be you

I think a lot of people would get the initial enemy skill materia and be like wtf it doesnt do anything and then just never equip it. Getting mantra magic is unlikely if you arent looking for it because the enemy that uses it is pretty rare. Getting lv 4 suicide can be tough, i mean why would you know you have to just sit there until it decides to use it? Also you have to manipulate a lot of enemies to get skills. Although you can still get Beta, Trine, and Magic Breath like you said . The enemy that uses magic breath can be a pretty rare encounter though.

I had never gotten chocobuckle before until a recent playthough.

I'll also say, laser is also an amazing enemy skill. its basically gravira. Later in the game when I'm gimped with my double growth weapons and materia, I'll usually cast lv 4 suicide or laser on an enemy to see if i can speed things along. they work on a suprising amount of enemies and bosses.

Also don't forget about purple materia, they are awesome. I usually give one party member HP Plus, cover, counter, and the back row materia. Equip them with the protect ring, and they take all the damage at reduced level from the back row, and plus counter basically every single attack your party receives.

There are some good blue materia too. I pair added cut with deathblow. absorb mp can be cool too paired with cut all our double cut. I never really use quandra magic...

Ultratech

I think a lot of people would get the initial enemy skill materia and be like wtf it doesnt do anything and then just never equip it. Getting mantra magic is unlikely if you arent looking for it because the enemy that uses it is pretty rare. Getting lv 4 suicide can be tough, i mean why would you know you have to just sit there until it decides to use it? Also you have to manipulate a lot of enemies to get skills. Although you can still get Beta, Trine, and Magic Breath like you said . The enemy that uses magic breath can be a pretty rare encounter though.

I'll also say, laser is also an amazing enemy skill. its basically gravira. Later in the game when I'm gimped with my double growth weapons and materia, I'll usually cast lv 4 suicide or laser on an enemy to see if i can speed things along. they work on a suprising amount of enemies and bosses.

Enemy Skill has some amazing stuff, but as mentioned, you pretty much have to know what attacks to look out for, since some only show up in select parts of the game giving you few chances to get them (like Trine and Pandora's Box can be missed permanently).

Pandora's Box in particular is weird since it can only be cast once per save file, and then you'll never see it again due to a bug.

Also don't forget about purple materia, they are awesome. I usually give one party member HP Plus, cover, counter, and the back row materia. Equip them with the protect ring, and they take all the damage at reduced level from the back row, and plus counter basically every single attack your party receives.

There are some good blue materia too. I pair added cut with deathblow. absorb mp can be cool too paired with cut all our double cut. I never really use quandra magic...

Yes, getting some of them can be pretty obscure at times, especially when you have instances like in FF5 where you have to sail in a SPECIFIC area on the water in hopes of finding the enemy and even then hope of controlling it. At least some of the useful ones like Beta and Trine are fairly easy to come by. And I'm really surprised at how early you can get White Wind compared to other games.

Wazzy

Banned

gonna try FF9 now.

You literally don't need to do either of those. The first is a very tedious and boring way to play the game and really isn't encouraged. The second is the fun break the system way to rush through the game. You don't need much patience for it like you seem to imply but to each their own. I see it as no different than putting a couple minutes into grinding against enemies and instead of leveling up, you get AP, since grinding is also discouraged for leveling up. To avoid leveling too much, fight certain monsters that give the most AP.

Anyway, the third way to play is summons and limit breaks. Just as long as you avoid leveling up it shouldn't be too hard however you might want more of a challenge. Then again, playing this way is a lot harder than the card mod play through since with the latter you can spend very little time and reap the benifits.

Lastly, its unfortunate to hear you don't like Triple triad but you really don't need to grind this either. You can still refine without cards. For example, Curaga's can be created from tents with Sirens refine L-magic ability. Hope you give it another shot because the games beautiful locations and world are lively and one of the most developed in a JRPG. There's some great moments throughout the game too.

CorvoSol

FF8 is hilariously easy. If you had no patience for it, good luck with FF9. Not that 9 is hard, but oh my god those battles that take four hours and happen every three steps. FF9's battle system drags the game down considerably.

Also: FFX playthrough:

LOL at the voice acting. Just LOL. Yuna's every line is hilariously poorly delivered so far. I'm only to Killika but OMG. Girl just can't say anything without Shatner delivery. She's like Cloud in Dissidia.

FF8 is hilariously easy. If you had no patience for it, good luck with FF9. Not that 9 is hard, but oh my god those battles that take four hours and happen every three steps. FF9's battle system drags the game down considerably.

LOL at the voice acting. Just LOL. Yuna's every line is hilariously poorly delivered so far. I'm only to Killika but OMG. Girl just can't say anything without Shatner delivery. She's like Cloud in Dissidia.

bad voice acting reminds me of Loz from Advent Children and how dopey he sounded

Wazzy

Banned
:( once I'm done VII I'm gonna start IX so I have a save on my Vita. As much as I love the game I dread playing it due to the slowness, random battle encounter rate being high and chocobo Hot & Cold.

As for X, yeah Yuna's voice acting was poorly done. I mean, I get why they went that direction with her but she still could have used some emotion and range. They obviously wanted to show she couldn't express herself like normal people but they took it a bit far.

Many will disagree but I think Tidus's voice was perfect.

CorvoSol

:( once I'm done VII I'm gonna start IX so I have a save on my Vita. As much as I love the game I dread playing it due to the slowness, random battle encounter rate being high and chocobo Hot & Cold.

As for X, yeah Yuna's voice acting was poorly done. I mean, I get why they went that direction with her but she still could have used some emotion and range. They obviously wanted to show she couldn't express herself like normal people but they took it a bit far.

Many will disagree but I think Tidus's voice was perfect.

I wouldn't say perfect, but compared to Yuna and Lulu Tidus' voice is fine. I'd say Tidus, Wakka, Auron and Jecht are fine. Rikku might be, but I just dislike her "Yunie could die ya no?" attitude.

I actually like Yuna's alot for some reason.
delivery wasn't the best but got better in X-2, Kingdom Hearts 2 and Dissidia.

X voice acting had some weird editing though were it seemed to cut them off at at the very end of a sentence at times.

CorvoSol

I actually like Yuna's alot for some reason.
delivery wasn't the best but got better in X-2, Kingdom Hearts 2 and Dissidia.

X voice acting had some weird editing though were it seemed to cut them off at at the very end of a sentence at times.

I agree that Heidi Burress has improved over the course of here career dramatically, but her premiere in this game leaves things to be desired. I had not, however, considered that weird editing might have lead to some of the weirder lines.

Natetan

I wouldn't say perfect, but compared to Yuna and Lulu Tidus' voice is fine. I'd say Tidus, Wakka, Auron and Jecht are fine. Rikku might be, but I just dislike her "Yunie could die ya no?" attitude.

I dunno for a first time venture into full on Voice acting I think it's pretty good.

I think a problem with yuna night be that she is and says things very Japanese that either don't translate well or just sound awkward in English. I'd say the dialogue wasn't localized enough for her.

I really like the old wise dude voiceactor. He came back in ffxii as grand kiltias or whatever.

CorvoSol

I dunno for a first time venture into full on Voice acting I think it's pretty good.

I think a problem with yuna night be that she is and says things very Japanese that either don't translate well or just sound awkward in English. I'd say the dialogue wasn't localized enough for her.

I really like the old wise dude voiceactor. He came back in ffxii as grand kiltias or whatever.

Have you played X today? Like the very beginning of the game? Cuz it sounds BAD. And it isn't the words she's saying it, its the delivery. She's very, very, very wooden. Yuna and Lulu sound straight up bad. Like you know you're doing a crap job when Cree Summers upstages you as Kid Tidus.

So bad. Maybe she improves over the course of the game, but the introductory scenes for Yuna are BAD.

Have you played X today? Like the very beginning of the game? Cuz it sounds BAD. And it isn't the words she's saying it, its the delivery. She's very, very, very wooden. Yuna and Lulu sound straight up bad. Like you know you're doing a crap job when Cree Summers upstages you as Kid Tidus.

So bad. Maybe she improves over the course of the game, but the introductory scenes for Yuna are BAD.

I'll have to agree on this, at the start...she just doesn't seem to be trying at first and it comes off pretty awkward, especially when the voice actor for Tidus and Auron did a good job.

Arthea

Really, bad? I had no problems with FFX VA bar laugh scene, that wasn't played right, as far as I can remember. And I don't remember Yuna's VA being bad either.

I agree that Heidi Burress has improved over the course of here career dramatically, but her premiere in this game leaves things to be desired. I had not, however, considered that weird editing might have lead to some of the weirder lines.
Yeah its pretty weird at times. Tidus has like 3 or 4 lines were he is speaking normally and it suddenly fast forwards two words from the end.

CorvoSol

Really, bad? I had no problems with FFX VA bar laugh scene, that wasn't played right, as far as I can remember. And I don't remember Yuna's VA being bad either.

It's real, real bad. Like, maybe not Garzey's Wing bad, but compared to XII and XIII, Yuna and Lulu sound downright mechanical at times. Speaking of that laughing scene, they laugh before that, on the boat to Killika, and its just awkward.

Like I mean, when I was younger I had no problem either, but going back now, Yuna sounds so bad. I definitely don't remember it being this way, but there it is.

Natetan

I don't really play modern games, so when I replayed it a couple years ago I thought it was fine.

Compared to resident evil 1 it's amazing.

CorvoSol

I don't really play modern games, so when I replayed it a couple years ago I thought it was fine.

Compared to resident evil 1 it's amazing.

Well, I mean, it's not, shall we say, a notably terrible performance. It isn't going to land itself on a list of "worst video game voice acting" list. It certainly isn't as bad as RE1 or Chaos Wars, but it is still bad. Perhaps because it is a Square Enix game and the production values are high and the standard for presentation (if not quality in this day and age) remains high and has only risen since that era, and perhaps because I myself did not remember it thus, and because her performance as Yuna in DFF2 is markedly better I simply was not expecting Mz. Burres' voice acting to be so bad in the early hours of this game. If it improves as it goes on, I will be sure to comment so, but I feel I was definitely caught off guard by how bad it was.

Arthea

It's real, real bad. Like, maybe not Garzey's Wing bad, but compared to XII and XIII, Yuna and Lulu sound downright mechanical at times. Speaking of that laughing scene, they laugh before that, on the boat to Killika, and its just awkward.

Like I mean, when I was younger I had no problem either, but going back now, Yuna sounds so bad. I definitely don't remember it being this way, but there it is.

I hope it still will be all right for me, in remake. I can tolerate pretty bad VA, and FFX was not bad in my book.

Banzai

Well I never thought the VA was that bad, either. Whenever something sounded weird I just chalked it up to bad localization.
Anyway, Yuna does have some more "emotional" speeches ahead, so maybe that'll change your opinion. At this point I kinda doubt it though.

Manu

Guys, I think I ran into a glitch in FFVI that made my game unwinnable.

I'm supposed to kill the first goddess, Poltergeist, then jump into a pit and over a switch to open the way for my next party.

Well, I step on the switch and nothing happens. There are no new doors for my other parties to advance. I tried reloading, the same thing :/

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it.

Wazzy

Banned
I left Midgar and journey'd across the world to Kalm AKA walked for barerly a minute and got there. I arrive and head straight for the inn where everyone is waiting. Tifa and Barret immediately say I'm late even though I was literally right behind Barret. Assholes.

I decide to retell my story of when I was in soldier and how I came to meet the apparently great Sephiroth. Tifa is in this story and is our guide to the mako reactor. I'm a lot nicer in this story, asking everyone how they're doing. We enter the mako chamber and see at the top is labeled Jenova. Interesting, that's the headless women creature we saw at Shinra Barret smartly points out but apparently you're not allowed to ask me questions when Tifa is around since she snaps at Barret. Rude. We then look into one of the pods and see some fucking creepy thing grinning. Sephiroth has a mental breakdown and then one of the creatures escapes and...nothing comes of it.

Sephiroth then has an even bigger mental breakdown and destroys the entire village of Nibelheim. He also injures Tifa. I finish my story but Tifa is acting suspicious. Oh well. We now head to the Chocobo farm.

Manu

I finally beat VI earlier today. I was bracing for an epic battle against Kefka but Terra the (kinda) human steamroller and her Ultima x2 ended the battle pretty quickly. I couldn't even finish listening to Dancing Mad D:

Ending was pretty good, I liked how every character had their chance to shine. I missed Shadow's though since I lost him when the World went to
Shit
Ruin, and apparently he's
Relm's dad
from what I've read. Bummer.

Overall I'd say this is now in my top 3 Final Fantasies after X and VIII, and sharing the third place with VII. It was definitely the most fun.

Now I'll take a break from FF, take care of some of my backlog (damn you, Plus, DAMN YOU!) and return to IX.

ok, went to read a guide on FF8 and gonna give it another shot.

it's not that i didn't enjoy the card game, it's that winning 1 card at the time was tedious. turns out, you can manipulate the rules using the Queen of Cards and get the Diff rule that nets you multiple cards.

I finally beat VI earlier today. I was bracing for an epic battle against Kefka but Terra the (kinda) human steamroller and her Ultima x2 ended the battle pretty quickly. I couldn't even finish listening to Dancing Mad D:

Ending was pretty good, I liked how every character had their chance to shine. I missed Shadow's though since I lost him when the World went to
Shit
Relm's dad

Overall I'd say this is now in my top 3 Final Fantasies after X and VIII, and sharing the third place with VII. It was definitely the most fun.

Now I'll take a break from FF, take care of some of my backlog (damn you, Plus, DAMN YOU!) and return to IX.

I love the memories of VI having so much hidden stuff in the game back when it still tooks months to discover everything. These days, just about every secret would have been found and posted online before the game even came to the US.

CorvoSol

Well I never thought the VA was that bad, either. Whenever something sounded weird I just chalked it up to bad localization.
Anyway, Yuna does have some more "emotional" speeches ahead, so maybe that'll change your opinion. At this point I kinda doubt it though.

Well I dunno, cuz like I said, my memories of her acting weren't anything notably bad. So maybe she improved partway through the game. I certainly hope so.

Shit
Relm's dad

Defeating Kefka in a single blow is always fun. I like to have Terra at max HP, dual wielding Ultima Weapons and the Offering plus Quick. She does like, 8-16 hits of max damage to him and he dies in the first turn. Now, Kaiser Dragon and Omega Weapon, those were a little tougher.

Manu

Defeating Kefka in a single blow is always fun. I like to have Terra at max HP, dual wielding Ultima Weapons and the Offering plus Quick. She does like, 8-16 hits of max damage to him and he dies in the first turn. Now, Kaiser Dragon and Omega Weapon, those were a little tougher.

Wow! That's seriously amazing. I didn't mean "in a single blow", but more like Kefka didn't even had time to show his true powers before I killed him. He only did that attack where everyone is left at 1 HP once, but with Celes as a dedicated healer I didn't feel it at all.

CorvoSol

Wow! That's seriously amazing. I didn't mean "in a single blow", but more like Kefka didn't even had time to show his true powers before I killed him. He only did that attack where everyone is left at 1 HP once, but with Celes as a dedicated healer I didn't feel it at all.

I tend to be hilariously overpowered by the time I reach that fight because I spend forever building up in that one desert against cactuars so that I can have the majority of the parties I'm sending in with all spells.

Kefka's Tower is still my favorite final dungeon in the series. Not so much due to setting, but because a dungeon requiring THREE full parties is the best thing ever.

Heropon

I tend to be hilariously overpowered by the time I reach that fight because I spend forever building up in that one desert against cactuars so that I can have the majority of the parties I'm sending in with all spells.

Kefka's Tower is still my favorite final dungeon in the series. Not so much due to setting, but because a dungeon requiring THREE full parties is the best thing ever.

I'm curious about what characters people don't bring to that dungeon. In my case, I always leave Umaro and Gau out because I can't stand their berserk tendencies.

Top Bottom