• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

CorvoSol

I'm curious about what characters people don't bring to that dungeon. In my case, I always leave Umaro and Gau out because I can't stand their berserk tendencies.

People leave someone behind other than Umaro and Gau?

I mean, why would you do that? Everybody else is super freaking awesome. Umaro can't use magic and Gau takes an eternity to make worthwhile (unless you're playing the SNES version and give him the Merit Badge or whatever.)

jaxword

I left Midgar and journey'd across the world to Kalm AKA walked for barerly a minute and got there.

It's funny how people will scream that they want the worldmap back just for this exact experience. 1 minute of overworld really changes things in the imagination.

I'm curious about what characters people don't bring to that dungeon. In my case, I always leave Umaro and Gau out because I can't stand their berserk tendencies.

I generally leave Umaro and Gogo out. Neither one really has a personality, and the game's difficulty level by that point is such a joke anyway that it's really not about effective parties so much as putting together actual characters.

CorvoSol

It's funny how people will scream that they want the worldmap back just for this exact experience. 1 minute of overworld really changes things in the imagination.

World Maps are awesome. I may hate Chocobo Hot and Cold but running around on a Chocobo to dig up Chocographs was super awesome. Riding around on the Gold Chocobo in 7 was similarly great. And yes, walking for two minutes from one town to another is part of the magic.

Especially in the 3D games where things have size and shape on the world map. Crossing a mountain or finding a cave surrounded by woods in a 3D game's world map was a fun experience, and I say this having recently replayed all 3 of the PSX games.

I tend to leave Umaro and Gau out too, even though with the right setup, Gau can be pretty darn strong...is just requires me finding the right monsters in the Veldt and that doesn't always happen soon enough for my liking.

Heropon

World Maps are awesome. I may hate Chocobo Hot and Cold but running around on a Chocobo to dig up Chocographs was super awesome. Riding around on the Gold Chocobo in 7 was similarly great. And yes, walking for two minutes from one town to another is part of the magic.

Especially in the 3D games where things have size and shape on the world map. Crossing a mountain or finding a cave surrounded by woods in a 3D game's world map was a fun experience, and I say this having recently replayed all 3 of the PSX games.

And don't forget about the airships. Returning to previous places while seeing the vast overworld was priceless. Navigating menus isn't the same even if it's more convenient.

IX had the best airships...I can't be sure of my favorite to be honest but that game just threw awesome airship after awesome airship at you

Yeah, the overworld map is more of an atmosphere thing than anything else (though it makes it feel really awesome whenever you gain a greater level of mobility). In terms of explorability, the old games are roughly similar to FFX, really - but actually moving around on a map is more satisfying than moving a cursor around on a static map hammering X to find the Omega Dungeon.

Yeah, but in the future I hope they continue with XII's approach, only bigger and better.

Vehicles, more verticality in areas, yada yada just give me XV already.

Yeah, but in the future I hope they continue with XII's approach, only bigger and better.

XII's approach is great, but I'd love to see XII's approach *without zoning* - basically, make the game totally seamless. I basically want my Final Fantasy to take place in a heavily detailed GTA3: San Andreas sized world.

CorvoSol

I'd compromise for XII with a specialized map for airship travel. I was sort of miffed that a game with that much emphasis on airships never let me fly one around.

I'd compromise for XII with a specialized map for airship travel. I was sort of miffed that a game with that much emphasis on airships never let me fly one around.

Well they were gonna let you fly one. You could even fight airship-on-airship battles with it at one point.

But then the executive meddling came in.

Dammit.

CorvoSol

Well they were gonna let you fly one. You could even fight airship-on-airship battles with it at one point.

But then the executive meddling came in.

Dammit.

Type-0 has like, one airship battle and it isn't bad. Still wish we could have some airship warfare in an FF. Then again, considering Gummyships, maybe not.

Type-0 has like, one airship battle and it isn't bad. Still wish we could have some airship warfare in an FF. Then again, considering Gummyships, maybe not.

Hey KH2 gummi ship wasn't so bad.

KH1 gummi ship though...yeeeaaahhh.

When I think airship battles though, I think of Skies of Arcadia. I wouldn't mind stuff like that.

Imagine if in FFXII you had to fight Sky Fortress Bahamut on the outside before you could board it.

Man...

Just remembering its appearance...it kind of reminded me of the Whirlwind that appeared in II, that just wrecked everything with a vengance...obviously Vayne isn't evil like the Emperor but I think it would have been interesting to see, watching that thing carve a path of death and ruin.

Wow I just found out about XNAlara and the Dissidia character models.
been messing around with that all day making avatars and such.
Squall-Laguna-avatar_zpsafe25867.png

CorvoSol

Hey KH2 gummi ship wasn't so bad.

KH1 gummi ship though...yeeeaaahhh.

When I think airship battles though, I think of Skies of Arcadia. I wouldn't mind stuff like that.

Imagine if in FFXII you had to fight Sky Fortress Bahamut on the outside before you could board it.

Man...

I really wish there was some way I could play Skies of Arcadia. Maybe I'll look into it after I finish Xenogears.

I warn you, that game is slow as fuck.

But other than that, enjoy a JRPG starring a main character who has no mental issues whatsoever.

I heard the random encounter rate is on-par with FF9, as well...in the DC version. I heard it was lowered in the GC version, but I don't know anyone who owns the GC version to verify.

CorvoSol

If only they let us write the stories...

Lightning would need new kidneys as of Dark Schala's XIII.

So would Cecil.

Dark Schala is there any FF protagonist you don't leave hopelessly drunk?

'Course my Cecil would like, have his kingdom torn asunder from the numerous heirs he'd left around the world.

Wazzy

Banned
I got a chocobo, crossed the sand marsh and found the snake dead even though It was chasing me literally a second beforehand. Oh well, guess there's more than one. I then proceeded to Fort Condor where I played a mini-game of protecting the tower from Shinra soldiers which was quite fun. Moving on to Junon, a little girl is attacked by a monster and I have to protect her. After killing it, the girl is taken to rest and when finally healed she allows me to use her buddy Dolphin to help get me into the parade above. Finally reaching the top after multiple awful annoying tries, I pretend to be a soldier and sneak into a Shinra boat holding Rufus.

The boat is attacked by Sephiroth and I'm forced to fight Jenova. Once defeated, we arrive at Costa del sol, a nice hot spot to vacation. We meet Hojo and have a brief talk about Sephiroth, Ancients and Aeris. We now head west to some broken railway.

Wow I just found out about XNAlara and the Dissidia character models.
been messing around with that all day making avatars and such.
Squall-Laguna-avatar_zpsafe25867.png
I've been noticing your avatars and they look pretty cool. It seems your a big fan of KH 1 +2 Squall(I like him but god I wish the mullet was gone/the needless belts), is there any VIII characters you really want to see in KH 3?

I think that's a fair point however when I ask for a world map, I want something like VIII's. A map with actual activity happening even if it's only the trains. I also think travel in VIII was done more realistically so when you got somewhere fast it was usually due to a travel system like the train or gardens. Basically, I want them to expand on a world like VIII's.

It's not the end of the world for me if there isn't a world map but I would like to see some form of it return. I just think it's brings in a sense of emersion even if the towns are located ridiculously close. But regarding that, who want's to travel far in a game?

Natetan

After killing it, the girl is taken to rest and when finally healed she allows me to use her buddy Dolphin to help get me into the parade above.

Getting up to the top level is easy. Just dont move at all and blow the whistle twice. Voila.

I've been noticing your avatars and they look pretty cool. It seems your a big fan of KH 1 +2 Squall(I like him but god I wish the mullet was gone/the needless belts), is there any VIII characters you really want to see in KH 3?
Thanks, I have been changing it alot lately because I just found the Kingdom Hearts X cards that have pictures not normally available.
And now XNAlara but I just haven't been happy with one yet.
(my current one I was just messing around with a pack of keyblade models and thought it looked alright)

Yeah Squall was always my favorite Final Fantasy character,
Kingdom Hearts versions topped it for me because they kept his personality development and I liked the age progression and the design.
Mullet was a little weird in 1 but 2 balanced it out imo.
I was also just happy he got a good role, could have ended up like the Gullwings or Tidus.

Rinoa has to be in especially after the hint in 2.
I really wanted Laguna in BBS and wish they could somehow fix Selphie
I liked Seifer Fujin and Raijin in 2 though.

You'd hope. What difference would inebriation really have on Zidane, though?

He was pretty darn angsty when he got drunk...or it may have been the fact that Dagger had been crowned queen and he was speechless for once...but Zidane seems like the type to handle his liquor, he's the Angel of Death for crying out loud. If someone like that can't handle his liquor, who can?

Wazzy

Banned
Yeah Squall was always my favorite Final Fantasy character,
Kingdom Hearts versions topped it for me because they kept his personality development and I liked the age progression and the design.
Mullet was a little weird in 1 but 2 balanced it out imo.
I was also just happy he got a good role, could have ended up like the Gullwings or Tidus.

Rinoa has to be in especially after the hint in 2.
I really wanted Laguna in BBS and wish they could somehow fix Selphie
I liked Seifer Fujin and Raijin in 2 though.
Completely agree. I was also happy with Squall's role and I'm glad he was basically how he ended up after VIII. I would have preferred Seifer to match his age and have an actual rivalry with Squall but what can you do. Rinoa better be in.

They really should have used Laguna and their reasoning for not was silly. Who gives a shit if he is also in Dissidia?

Getting up to the top level is easy. Just dont move at all and blow the whistle twice. Voila.
Wait...WHAT? Are you serious?

Completely agree. I was also happy with Squall's role and I'm glad he was basically how he ended up after VIII. I would have preferred Seifer to match his age and have an actual rivalry with Squall but what can you do. Rinoa better be in.

They really should have used Laguna and their reasoning for not was silly. Who gives a shit if he is also in Dissidia?

Yeah it was really weird,
just like that old excuse from Capcom than Leon couldn't be in Mercenaries 3D because he "Has a role over in Operation Raccoon City."

CorvoSol

He was pretty darn angsty when he got drunk...or it may have been the fact that Dagger had been crowned queen and he was speechless for once...but Zidane seems like the type to handle his liquor, he's the Angel of Death for crying out loud. If someone like that can't handle his liquor, who can?

The real question is how Terra Branford would handle her alcohol. Girl already doesn't get that whole emotions thing and then you go and get her smashed. Hooo boy.

It goes like this: One time Biggs and Wedge take Terra to a bar prior to a mission in Vector. She gets drunk, goes on a bender and kills 50 guys in 5 minutes. Kefka claims credit.

Arthea

World maps are awesome, don't now why they are almost gone, minute or no, it's a feeling of adventuring through world that matters, also map secrets make every game so much more enjoyable.
I like and FF4 and FF8. Actually I can understand why people would dislike 8, not that I approve, but FF4 was one of greatest games of own time, hate or no. At least people should pay some respect!

Wazzy

Banned
You know, I just realized Narolf hasn't posted in forever and then I saw he was perma'd. I found out through a 65 page thread on the Dissidia Forums :lol

'S how I feel 'bout people who don't love IV.

Yeah but we don't associate with those people.

Natetan

world maps are great, but i will admit that ffvii's map is a bit wierd. Cloud is bigger than a town, but than walks over bridges,etc that are bigger than him. It also takes a long time to get around the world map. FFVI it takes like 5 seconds to go around the world once.

Its all pretty fun though. Gold chocobo running on the ocean = yeay.

kurbaan

Banned
World maps are awesome, don't now why they are almost gone, minute or no, it's a feeling of adventuring through world that matters, also map secrets make every game so much more enjoyable.
I like and FF4 and FF8. Actually I can understand why people would dislike 8, not that I approve, but FF4 was one of greatest games of own time, hate or no. At least people should pay some respect!

Wait people hate FF4? I thought it was one of the most beloved games in the franchise. Kain and Cecil can't be beat.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
IX had the best airships...I can't be sure of my favorite to be honest but that game just threw awesome airship after awesome airship at you

img2ff9.jpg

Red Rose, Invincible, Hilda Garde III and whatever may be nice, but they don't hold a candle to Scenelante. (Which is the Italian translated name, but sounds much cooler than Theater Ship, really)

Top Bottom